HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose Re-Signs Raffi Torres [3 Years/$6 million/$2 million AAV]

Old
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

vCash: 500
Hooray more Raffi!

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
That is one hell of a deal. DW doing some good work to start the offseason.
The deal's quality is still yet to be determined for me. Until we hear of potential movement clauses, I'm reserving judgment. Cap hit is good if they maintain a certain level of flexibility to move him if necessary. I don't really like the term but it's only one year past my general threshhold for term I would give to 3rd or 4th liners...even if they can be tweeners.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
dman34

Gillis could've had locked this guy up for 2 years at a m mere 1.5 mill per season back in 2011.

What a bonehead move by our GM.

Torres is the perfect 4th line player who can play on the 3rd line if need be. He hits, will drop the gloves with anyone, and will pop a few timely goals here and there. Great team guy too.

Excellent signing by the Sharks. Would've loved him back on the Canucks but unfortunately Gillis burnt that bridge a few years back.

dman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Duffman955

I wanted this guy. Pretty good cap hit as well.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Leidi J

From conference call:

"All the things that we have to factor in, this is a player we want with this organization," Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a Thursday morning conference call. "We're very proud to have Raffi as part of this organization and everything that had to be thought through was thought through."

"Every players comes with some level of risk and obviously we're very comfortable with his," Wilson said. "I won't comment and can't comment on the suspension in the playoffs, but we think he brings all the skill sets we're looking for -- speed, strength, he can shoot. He's got a high skill level to play with high end players. What we really noticed was how quickly he fit in with his teammates."

Before coming to the Sharks at the trade deadline from the Phoenix Coyotes, Torres had worked closely with coach Dave Tippett in an effort to play within acceptable NHL parameters. That process continued in San Jose under coach Todd McLellan.

"At the end of the day," Torres said, "it's something I'm always going to be working on till the day I end up playing -- thinking the game a little bit more and obviously try not to put myself in a vulnerable position with those borderline hits."

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Trolfoli

Who wants to start the betting on how many games Torres will play in the playoffs next year before being suspended??? If any??? He's been suspended for the last 3 if I remember right... great job blowing 2 mill on someone that will be watching the games that mean something from a cell in Shanahan's office...

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
NuckleTort

Solid deal for both player and team. He definately has a presence on the ice, and at $2M, he won't be a financial burden.
It's going to be fun in the Pacific

NuckleTort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

I wanted this guy. Pretty good cap hit as well.
Same!

***********!!!

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The deal's quality is still yet to be determined for me. Until we hear of potential movement clauses, I'm reserving judgment. Cap hit is good if they maintain a certain level of flexibility to move him if necessary. I don't really like the term but it's only one year past my general threshhold for term I would give to 3rd or 4th liners...even if they can be tweeners.
we did give a guy like handzus a movement clause...but i think his contract value was mostly driven by his suspensions etc..i will be surprised by a clause.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Censored23

Good. Keep that psychopath as far away from the East as you can. He is a complete disgrace to the NHL and should banned before he kills someone.

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman34 View Post
Gillis could've had locked this guy up for 2 years at a m mere 1.5 mill per season back in 2011.

Torres is the perfect 4th line player who can play on the 3rd line if need be. He hits, will drop the gloves with anyone, and will pop a few timely goals here and there. Great team guy too.

Excellent signing by the Sharks. Would've loved him back on the Canucks but unfortunately Gillis burnt that bridge a few years back.
He had locker room problems if I remember

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censored23 View Post
Good. Keep that psychopath as far away from the East as you can. He is a complete disgrace to the NHL and should banned before he kills someone.
Keep your friends close and enemies closer. Best way to keep him from injuring one of your players? Sign him to your team

No joke though, as I posted above (though from reading this thread obviously most people don't bother to read any of the other posts) he provides a lot of offensive upside and this was a fantastic signing.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
ramstoria

well, it's a good signing. nice cap hit. good for our team. but i still don't like him.

well, not as much as this guy. a little overboard i'd say. if bertuzzi can find new life in detroit, torres can find new life in san jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censored23 View Post

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:28 PM
grN1g

you hate a guy like torres, but need a guy like him come playoff time.

good signing.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Censored23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
Keep your friends close and enemies closer. Best way to keep him from injuring one of your players? Sign him to your team

No joke though, as I posted above (though from reading this thread obviously most people don't bother to read any of the other posts) he provides a lot of offensive upside and this was a fantastic signing.
I hear what you're saying, and do agree that when he's playing HOCKEY, he is definitely worth the signing. Unfortunately, you never know with this nutball. I guess the best we can hope for is for him to smarten up and play the game, or hope he's given a permanent ban the next time he tries to take someone's head off.

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Good contract for San Jose

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Dominate Kesler

I desperately wanted Torres back especially at the price. I don't normally say this, but that contract is an absolute steal.

All the focus goes to his physicality but he actually is one of the best bottom 6 forwards in the league.

Dominate Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Leidi J

More quotes and such from Torres:
Quote:
“It’s great. I think it’s a relief for myself and my family,” Torres said on a conference call, shortly after the Sharks announced the deal. “For the short time we were there, we really enjoyed it, and knew right away. My wife, with the moods I was in coming back from the rink. … It’s a great organization. When we got the news, we were thrilled.”

“Without a doubt, Doug and the organization was first class handling everything that happened with the suspension. It made it really easy to fly to New York and deal with things that normally in the past would have been a bit more tougher. Obviously, my family and I thank him for that.”

“I still feel like there wasn’t anything wrong with the Stoll hit. But, at the end of the day, it’s something I’m always going to be working on. Until the day that I’m done playing, it’s thinking the game a little bit more, and trying not to put myself in a vulnerable position with borderline hits.”

“It’s a great room,” Torres said. “It starts with Joe [Thornton], [Pavelski], Patty Marleau, and guys like that that really keep the room upbeat and lively. It’s an easy place to come every day, and put the hard hat on and go to work.”

“Signing in Vancouver for that one year, $1 million, you feel like you have to re-prove yourself. I’ve kind of felt like I had to do that a couple times in my career, but I still feel like I have a lot more to give to this game, especially now with the Sharks and knowing there’s some stability there,” he said. “It’s something you have to look forward to, you don’t have to worry about anything else, just going out there and playing hard every night.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin...n-raffi-torres

Old
06-20-2013, 02:10 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
I desperately wanted Torres back especially at the price. I don't normally say this, but that contract is an absolute steal.

All the focus goes to his physicality but he actually is one of the best bottom 6 forwards in the league.
This, although I'm not sure of it being a steal. But yeah, he's a really legit 3rd liner.

He's not "clutch", I have a hard time calling any player clutch, but his play style fits the playoffs very well.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Good for SJ, great contract, bad for the Pacific. Hope he can continue play with an edge without crossing it. Otherwise, time to bring in the spaceballs helmets or at least old Jofas. We already know Sutter hates him from back in PHX, so should make for some interesting games.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Great! SJ really couldn't afford to not resign this guy given their current bottom 6 scoring depth, and a good cap hit to boot.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Good for SJ, great contract, bad for the Pacific. Hope he can continue play with an edge without crossing it. Otherwise, time to bring in the spaceballs helmets or at least old Jofas. We already know Sutter hates him from back in PHX, so should make for some interesting games.
There is no Pacific division next year.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman34 View Post

I think he is a 3rd liner who can play on the 2nd line if need be. I think most people are too focused on his hitting and undervalue his scoring ability.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Hopper15

yay more suspensions.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Duffman955

Quote: