HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

vCash: 500
If Crawford plays another game like that...time for Emery?

Old
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Couldn't the same be said for Rask? I mean if it's 4-0 you have to pull the guy, but if it's back and forth like last night it's more a reflection of the game itself.

Also sounds like Olympics with NHLer's is one step closer.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Emery hasn't played a game in 2 months so he wont be playing

Hawks are riding Corey rest of way.. Last night he was horrid but he has been rock all playoffs for team and they believe in him

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
So, I take it someone told Corey Crawford he's actually Corey Crawford and not Ed Belfour...

But what happened to Tuukka Rask?!
Belfour was awful in playoffs for Hawks

Old
06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yet a constant in this series is Hawks starting games well and ending poorly. Bruins, despite playing from behind all night were the better team in the 3rd, and in OT, and had been taking the game over. Bruins had 5 chances to win it in OT before Hawks scored the winner off a routine point shot.

Being that the Bruins are outlasting the Hawks in every game of the series I see this going the Bruins way. We've seen the Bruins best in only one game in the series so far. We know that the Bruins can entirely shut the hawks down when the Bruins play their game.
You'll have to explain this. Chicago won the triple OT game and won another in OT last night. They overcame a two-goal deficit in the third period in Game 1, and overcame crap netminding in Game 4. Clearly they've outlasted the Bruins in both their wins.

Outside of a couple flurries late in the 1st and 2nd period, Chicago completely controlled the game at even strength. Only Crawford's horrid play and a couple very fortuitous bounces, both on powerplays, let the Bruins extend it to OT.

Contrary to what everyone believes, I think a trading chances game benefits Boston. The proof is last night's game. Boston was one shot away from winning despite being outplayed. They have the better goaltender and are more opportunistic. Chicago has always needed tons of chances to score as many goals as they do because they blow more chances than anybody. 3 missed breakaways last night, par for the course. Chicago was the best defensive team in the NHL this year and it got them back to the final. They want no part of a river hockey shootout with good reason.

Lots of talk going in that Bruins physical play would wear down the Hawks, a reasonable prognostication. I was shocked to see the Blackhawks clearly outhitting the Bruins last night. That was probably the Hawks' most physical game of the playoffs, and the Bruins didn't have much of a pushback in that department, at least not by their standards. They were the ones who looked worn out.

Not sure what to expect in Game 5, besides a great game. The big boys stepped up with offense last game, first game that didn't get decided by the grinders. Special teams were all over the map. If I'm Chicago though, Crawford makes me very nervous. Just when you start to believe he's going to get the job done, he goes and has his worst game of the postseason at the biggest moment. I've never trusted him fully, and I sure don't after last night.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
You'll have to explain this. Chicago won the triple OT game and won another in OT last night. They overcame a two-goal deficit in the third period in Game 1, and overcame crap netminding in Game 4. Clearly they've outlasted the Bruins in both their wins.

Outside of a couple flurries late in the 1st and 2nd period, Chicago completely controlled the game at even strength. Only Crawford's horrid play and a couple very fortuitous bounces, both on powerplays, let the Bruins extend it to OT.

Contrary to what everyone believes, I think a trading chances game benefits Boston. The proof is last night's game. Boston was one shot away from winning despite being outplayed. They have the better goaltender and are more opportunistic. Chicago has always needed tons of chances to score as many goals as they do because they blow more chances than anybody. 3 missed breakaways last night, par for the course. Chicago was the best defensive team in the NHL this year and it got them back to the final. They want no part of a river hockey shootout with good reason.

Lots of talk going in that Bruins physical play would wear down the Hawks, a reasonable prognostication. I was shocked to see the Blackhawks clearly outhitting the Bruins last night. That was probably the Hawks' most physical game of the playoffs, and the Bruins didn't have much of a pushback in that department, at least not by their standards. They were the ones who looked worn out.

Not sure what to expect in Game 5, besides a great game. The big boys stepped up with offense last game, first game that didn't get decided by the grinders. Special teams were all over the map. If I'm Chicago though, Crawford makes me very nervous. Just when you start to believe he's going to get the job done, he goes and has his worst game of the postseason at the biggest moment. I've never trusted him fully, and I sure don't after last night.
The Bruins outplayed the Hawks by a wide margin in OT in the first game. Virtually nobody has disputed that. They wore the Hawks down in game 2. Game 3 the Hawks played well in first an after that were done. Last nights game Bruins came back after a shaky start, sent the game in OT, and were easily the better team in OT.

Don't read too much into last night. The Bruins will be in a nasty mood having screwed the pooch. They completely abandoned their gameplan in every way. Did not look after own end first, were not a presence in NZ, stopped hitting, and tried to skill their way to a win. Really, the Hawks are better finishers, lethal actually. Trading chances with the Hawks is stupid. Also, Bruins completely annihilated Hawks in game 3 completely dominating the game from start to end. Somehow the Bruins only score 2 goals. How this Bruins think they have better finish is anybodies guess. They should stick to what worked.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Bruins outplayed the Hawks by a wide margin in OT in the first game. Virtually nobody has disputed that.
Chicago carried the play for the most part, easily had more possession. The Bruins had better quality chances without a doubt, but that was the only metric in which they were superior.

Quote:
They wore the Hawks down in game 2. Game 3 the Hawks played well in first an after that were done. Last nights game Bruins came back after a shaky start, sent the game in OT, and were easily the better team in OT.
Game 2 is the only one that really fits the "wore down" bill. Boston just plain and simple outplayed Chicago in Game 3. Last night Chicago played very well at even strength throughout the game. Boston only "came back" due to Crawford's inability to stop a beach ball. And every time they came back, Chicago re-took the lead. The OT was pretty evenly played I thought. Neither team sustained prolonged pressure or had any ten-bell chances before the winning goal.

Quote:
Really, the Hawks are better finishers, lethal actually. Trading chances with the Hawks is stupid.
The Hawks have had trouble finishing for years. They score as much as they do because they generate boatloads of chances. Their PP is absolutely awful and has been awful for three years. It was only even good in 2010 due to Byfuglien being parked in the crease. This is not the sign of lethal finishers. Kane is the only guy who is usually money to bury a great chance. Sharp, Hossa, and Toews can't score on breakaways to save their lives. I lost count of how many those three have blown a long time ago.

Trying to goad the Hawks into more of a run-and-gun skill game is surprisingly effective against them (though naturally I wouldn't suggest Boston actually do so). Witness the Oilers blowing their doors off multiple times in the last two seasons. The finesse and skill Red Wings had them on the ropes in Round 2, while the physical hit and grind Kings never seriously threatened to win the series.

People have been saying the entire season that Chicago's big weakness would be a big physical team, that they don't do well against hitting, etc. I'm not sure where that idea comes from, but not from people that have actually been watching the team since the start of the year. They had no problem with LA, St. Louis or San Jose in the regular season or playoffs. But the Oilers, Canucks, and Avalanche were relatively successful against them. The exact opposite of what pretty much everyone thinks.

No different here. Boston will wear them down, they're too big, too strong, blah blah blah. And yet the Bruins have thrown a whopping one extra hit more than Chicago for every 12 minutes of game play thus far. At some point it might be time to admit that the Hawks simply aren't affected by physical play against them more than anybody else. There are plenty of reasons why Boston might win the Stanley Cup, but "grinding down the Hawks with hits" is not likely to be one of them.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 3m
First question to Lindy has to be, "So, was it a goal or not?" @MikeHeika

Old
06-21-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 53s
Dave Tippett and the Phoenix Coyotes have agreed on a five-year extension. The NHL has approved it, as well.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
So, I mean, who is left for Vancouver? Just Torts?

Old
06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Gillis is just as bad as Tambellini. Can't make a move.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Torts offered the Canucks job...can't wait to see how that unfolds. He could light the fire that they need or could alienate his two best players.

Bad news is that Oil games against the Canucks may be VERY boring to watch.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:43 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Gillis is just as bad as Tambellini. Can't make a move.
If I were a nucks fan I would be pretty pissed that Gillis' dithering around has cost them many of the high profile candidates. But I guess there is still Torts and Stevens from LA.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Torts offered the Canucks job...can't wait to see how that unfolds. He could light the fire that they need or could alienate his two best players.

Bad news is that Oil games against the Canucks may be VERY boring to watch.
Alienating those two might be the best thing to happen to the franchise. If Torts can't get them to play in the playoffs then you don't want them.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:16 PM
joestevens29

Reading twitter and people were talking about how torts would deal with the Nuck media. Kinda thought to myself that it would be a cakewalk given his best friend larry brooks won't be there everyday to great him.

Then Cuthbert posts this

Chris Cuthbert ‏@CCtsn 15m
With John Tortorella headed to the #Canucks how soon before there's a Vancouver media bidding war for @NYP_Brooksie? #$!?&@#!Brooksie

Wouldn't that be dirty.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Chooch

I know most of you don't want to believe it, but i think Gillis actually helped his team for once on this one. Good coach.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
I know most of you don't want to believe it, but i think Gillis actually helped his team for once on this one. Good coach.
it's either going to go incredible, or god awful.

I see no middle ground

Old
06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I have a feeling the Sedin's absurd number of offensive zone starts just went down a bit.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:57 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
I have a feeling the Sedin's absurd number of offensive zone starts just went down a bit.
Brad Richards was getting the same amount of offensive zone starts as the Sedins so that might not be the case.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
it's either going to go incredible, or god awful.

I see no middle ground
I precisely see it as somewhat of a lateral move, just a change in personalities. I dont think that will be enough. From one good coach to another, and the roster stays the same...

Old
06-22-2013, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I precisely see it as somewhat of a lateral move, just a change in personalities. I dont think that will be enough. From one good coach to another, and the roster stays the same...
Change in personalities is huge IMO. I personally think that the real issue is the Sedins. I don't think they have that extra gear, but do you try move them now or see if a hard ass can get that extra gear?

Old
06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 1m
More cheering to do here at @IronmanTri #MtTremblant. Ran into @nhl referee Jean Hebert and retired player Ian Laperrière. Both are racing!

Really good to see Laperriere being able to put concussions behind him. Hopefully Savard, Pronger and others can as well.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

haha, the twitter comment from Eakins wondering what hallsy is up to today, (while Eakins is watching his wife run the triathlon in Quebec is interesting.)

Halls reply: "Training, but I don't see an ironman in my future"

haha, good boy Hall.

(sorry, I don't know how to quote twitter at all.)

Old
06-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Spawn

Hawks looking good right now. Quick strike offense. Chara been on the ice for 7 goals against the last two games...

Old
06-22-2013, 09:57 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Hawks looking good right now. Quick strike offense. Chara been on the ice for 7 goals against the last two games...
That was a brutal non call at the end of the game.

edit: as a side note, can't see the Bruins winning without Bergeron.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
That was a brutal non call at the end of the game.

edit: as a side note, can't see the Bruins winning without Bergeron.
If Toews is out that pretty much offsets it though.

I don't know why Quenneville decided to take his foot off the gas in the third and let the Bruins come at them. They'd controlled the game just fine through two periods, no reason to stray from that. Almost burned them.

Closed Thread