HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is HD worth it?

Old
10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Ludo

vCash: 500
Is HD worth it?

I'm thinking of getting an HD box tonight and wanted to know from those who view many sports in HD what they think of it. Is the picture quality in Hockey, Football and Soccer a definite improvement? I have a 51" TV playing regular "stretched" cable and I must say that image quality for most sports is sub-par (the wide angle camera view anyway)...very tempted to switch to HD.

Give you 2 cents please.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:59 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

If you have an HD tv, then yes. If not, then no.

HD is fantastic, but you obviously need an HDtv to make use of it. Conventional tv clarity will increase, but not significantly.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Ludo

My TV is HDTV ready (3 years old)....so with Videotron's HD box I should be all set.

Here's my TV

Old
10-16-2006, 10:10 AM
montreal25m

Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
My TV is HDTV ready (3 years old)....so with Videotron's HD box I should be all set.

Here's my TV
Definatly worth the box. You now have to decide if you want the DVR (digital video recorder) I have it and I definatly think it is worth it. In addition, you will have to spend money on cables, monster cables etc. to further enhance the image.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Bruins

There is really no comparison between HD and regular cable. Once you watch any sport in HD, there is no going back. It would be like switching back to a VCR to watch a movie.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
In a word...YES!

Old
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
Definatly worth the box. You now have to decide if you want the DVR (digital video recorder) I have it and I definatly think it is worth it. In addition, you will have to spend money on cables, monster cables etc. to further enhance the image.
Do NOT get Monster cables. Monster cables are extremely overpriced, and offer no advantage over a regular no-name cable from Radio Shack. You can go to any digital forum and they will all say the same thing. Stay away from Monster.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
!nkubus

There is no comparaison. But you need to have sme HD content to feed the TV, Regular cable won't be more clear or sharp than your 50" stretched TV. The only bad point is that there is not a lot of content in HD for now about 20 - 30 channels offers HD content and not 24h a day. RDS is not broadcasting in HD either this year , but next year they are supposed to . As per the quality of hockey in HD it's absolutly amazing you can actually see a penality or a hooking way beter than before. To bad that the majority of the Habs games aren't in Hd.

Somebody have a list of HD habs games for this year ?

Edit:

If you play a lot of video games, or have a computer plugged to te TV, I would recommand to buy an LCD instead of a Plasma

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:26 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan View Post
Do NOT get Monster cables. Monster cables are extremely overpriced, and offer no advantage over a regular no-name cable from Radio Shack. You can go to any digital forum and they will all say the same thing. Stay away from Monster.
I agree 100%.

I used to work in Audio and Video at Future Shop and I made more money selling monster cables than selling the actual hardware. The mark up on Monster is ridiculous. Totally not wort buying them.

Do they look better(esthetic's), yes, but the quality difference is minimal.

You will need cable though, RCA's work fine and make sure the box you buy has the component outlets (Red, Green, Blue) this is what will give you the best picture quality. As for the sound, well it depends on what kind of sound system you have. If you have the "fiber optics" digital audio output, I would definitely buy that since it gives you the best sound quality.

But for your TV, it is definitely worth it.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CUBE View Post
I agree 100%.

I used to work in Adio and Video at FutureShop and I made more money selling monster cables than selling the actual hardware. The mark up on Monster is ridiculous. Totally not worht buying them.

Do they look better, yes, but the quality differeence is minimal.

You will need cable though, RCA's work fine and make sure the box you buy has the component outlets (Red, Green, Blue) this is what will give you the best picture quality. As for the sound, well it depends on what kind of sound system you have. If you have the "fiber optics" digital audio output, I would definately buy that sicne it gives you the best sound quality.

But for your TV, it is definately worth it.
I agree. You definitely have to use a component cable. My digital HD box came with a component cable, so you may not have to buy one. I use a fibre optic cable for my audio and would highly recommend them. A digital coax cable is just as good though.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Ludo

Thanks for the input guys!
I will get Videotron's HD Extra package. TSN has quite a few games in HD. With RDS coming out with all Habs in HD next year I figured I should get ready!

As for cables, I currently have a pretty good S-Video cable...should do for now...

The PVR I've had for 1 year now....wouldn't live without it....the box I'll be getting is obviously the HD PVR!

Old
10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Pascal

*dreams of all habs games in HD*

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting an HD box tonight and wanted to know from those who view many sports in HD what they think of it. Is the picture quality in Hockey, Football and Soccer a definite improvement? I have a 51" TV playing regular "stretched" cable and I must say that image quality for most sports is sub-par (the wide angle camera view anyway)...very tempted to switch to HD.

Give you 2 cents please.
Yes it is worth it.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:15 AM
RC51

There is something that needs to be said about the current state of affaires in HDTV in Canada.

HDTV is worth it and all the extra cost to get a HD TV and a good 5.1 or better sound system and the HD receiver and proper cables.

After you finally decide on and buy the equipment it does not stop there.

What HD stations are offered by which provider is next.
Then the Bandwith used to provide the HD signal is next.
( although the signal comes in, is it 5.1 also? if not who is at fault?
is the signal an upconvert, a 4.3 SD signal that is cropped to fit 16.9, or is the show originally recorded with all new HD cameras.
When it comes to LIVE ( like Hockey) the quality of the Cameras and the quality of the personelle is also in question. In fact many factors are involved. One look at say some NFL games will prove my case. Some look very good BUT some look absolutely GREAT, WHY the difference?
ALL of the World Cup of Soccer was GREAT, it was a world event, the BEST people were used, no expense spared, and it showed.
SO don't think that ALL HDTV is the same.

Some HDTV providers ( not stations) are playing games with the signal. You can have 5-6 SD stations for every HD station when it comes to bandwidth. Adding a ton of bandwidth to add HD stations cost mega bucks so some provides cut or trim the incoming signal down to minimum to save on bandwidth but the picture quality still suffers a bit. Many times it's the behind the sceens stuff that is done to the original signal that shows up as picture quality loss. The provides think we don't notice these things

It will take a few more years for the growing pains to iron out, but don't let that stop you. HD by far better then SD. Just remember not all providers are quite ready to handle it. They need to spend money for the infrastructure in bandwidth and it seems that will take a bit longer to get right.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
There is something that needs to be said about the current state of affaires in HDTV in Canada.

HDTV is worth it and all the extra cost to get a HD TV and a good 5.1 or better sound system and the HD receiver and proper cables.

is the signal an upconvert, a 4.3 SD signal that is cropped to fit 16.9, or is the show originally recorded with all new HD cameras.
When it comes to LIVE ( like Hockey) the quality of the Cameras and the quality of the personelle is also in question. In fact many factors are involved. One look at say some NFL games will prove my case. Some look very good BUT some look absolutely GREAT, WHY the difference?
ALL of the World Cup of Soccer was GREAT, it was a world event, the BEST people were used, no expense spared, and it showed.

Some HDTV providers ( not stations) are playing games with the signal. You can have 5-6 SD stations for every HD station when it comes to bandwidth. Adding a ton of bandwidth to add HD stations cost mega bucks so some provides cut or trim the incoming signal down to minimum to save on bandwidth but the picture quality still suffers a bit. Many times it's the behind the sceens stuff that is done to the original signal that shows up as picture quality loss. The provides think we don't notice these things

It will take a few more years for the growing pains to iron out, but don't let that stop you. HD by far better then SD. Just remember not all providers are quite ready to handle it. They need to spend money for the infrastructure in bandwidth and it seems that will take a bit longer to get right.
Great post, I agree 100%! Everyone looking to get in to HD should read this so they understand the current state of HD in Canada.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

Thanks!

Old
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
If money is not a real issue, absolutely go for it. It's amazing, especially for Habs games, football and Discovery channel

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:24 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

omfg yes.

my friend has a 72'' LCD screen hooked with a Bose system and I watched one full game in hd with it and wow.. the quality is too sick your eyes hurt! too bad he's not a sprots fan at all so i get to watch 1 game/year

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
33Roy33

Without a doubt go with HD, I would never be able to go back now that I have it!

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
CaptainChara

Send a message via AIM to CaptainChara
Quote:
As for cables, I currently have a pretty good S-Video cable...should do for now...
FYI: S-Video will not transmit HD signal

CaptainChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:05 PM
BORAT

I have HD, the image is slightly crispier but I have a plasma ...

Bottom line If I would have known that 3000 $ more = a little bit of crisp ...

I would have kept my money ...

And no it's not a big difference

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat8 View Post
FYI: S-Video will not transmit HD signal
OK....so component cables I will use.

Old
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
LeMAD

I have better things to do with $3000. You can make a really nice trip with this amount of money, with memories that are gonna last a lifetime...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
bayrider

Use the component cables. S-Video isnt digital

As for HD vs regular... there is noq uestion. I never realized how bad regular tv was until i watched games in HD. I swear, you'll never go back.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I have better things to do with $3000. You can make a really nice trip with this amount of money, with memories that are gonna last a lifetime...
I think this was mostly pertaining to Borat's choice of TV...as opposed to HD vs SD cable.

I for one haven't regretted my 51" TV one second. Adding HD capability is not very expensive.