HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Multitasking?
Gamer lifestyle, man.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Why not just unplug the damn thing? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in and play
It probably doesn't turn off. It probably has some sort of heart or it's own energy source...

Old
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
fysloc

I can live with the xboxone original demands and drm, but really, the issue I have with xboxone is the lack of games I care about foreign game developers (primarily from japan).

That said, can someone please explain to me why cloud computing and expandable universes and all that argument for always online only works for xboxone and not ps4? Seeing as how the concept of cloud computing (ie. having all xbox's compute something when it is not busy) isn't even being used as it was mentioned they are using dedicated servers to do it, throwing a wrench in why the xbox even needs to be always online. Unless someone can prove otherwise, everything I read for why its good to have always online (from a users perspective, not corporations) can easily be achieved on the PS4 for users connected to the internet (which is basically a majority when they play a game unless they unplug the internet cord) with little to no extra effort.

Serious question that NOBODY has ever answered me (across multiple forums, I seem to get ignored when I bring that up).

Old
06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pretty sure "the cloud" has been confirmed to be mostly PR buzz at this point thanks to Microsoft's reversal. Even the way they were talking about it at E3 just sounded like window dressing...

I mean really... "driveatars"?

Their online requirements were probably 99% for license authentication. The cloud was a smokescreen.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Why not just unplug the damn thing? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in and play
Why not just let me hardware disable it so I don't fricken have to unplug it.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Why not just let me hardware disable it so I don't fricken have to unplug it.
That's what MS is doing. Don't tell the schizos though. You can set it to have the camera off and the microphone only listening for "XBOX ON" in a low power state.

Or, you know, Skynet 1984 alien invaders rectal probing NSA domestic terrorism police state. Whichever sounds better to you.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I can live with the xboxone original demands and drm, but really, the issue I have with xboxone is the lack of games I care about foreign game developers (primarily from japan).

That said, can someone please explain to me why cloud computing and expandable universes and all that argument for always online only works for xboxone and not ps4? Seeing as how the concept of cloud computing (ie. having all xbox's compute something when it is not busy) isn't even being used as it was mentioned they are using dedicated servers to do it, throwing a wrench in why the xbox even needs to be always online. Unless someone can prove otherwise, everything I read for why its good to have always online (from a users perspective, not corporations) can easily be achieved on the PS4 for users connected to the internet (which is basically a majority when they play a game unless they unplug the internet cord) with little to no extra effort.
My understanding was that the 'always on' functionality had these benefits:

- game/system updates delivered while the console is sleeping, so you avoid booting your system up and finding gawdawful 30 minute system updates (looking at you, PS3) and game updates (looking at you, 360)

- game authentication, so you can play from your hard drive without a disc (still a great idea in my book)

- obviously cloud computing to achieve giant gaming worlds, likely which far more activity than your average MMO or Skyrim

- representing your avatar online for your friends to play with when you're not gaming - I thought this was an incredible idea. A virtual driving me, a virtual fighter me, a virtual NHLer me...this could have been a ton of fun
Serious question that NOBODY has ever answered me (across multiple forums, I seem to get ignored when I bring that up).

The biggest catch is that everybody had to be online all the time to be playing the same current everything, as I understand it. I was quickly warming up to this whole idea, but MS botched the PR. Too bad.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Apparently the One's initial "family sharing" system was going to be restricted to one hour of playtime until your family had to buy the game themselves...

Wonder how much worse it would have gotten for MS if they hadn't 180'd.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
GrindNMuck

-I love the new fighting.

- Even though i hate college hockey in real life, I think they should add NCAA hockey. It would be different and it will change it up, not just drafting CHL and over seas players in a BE A GM

Old
06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Because it's ridiculous, unfounded, conspiracy theory bullplop. If you understand the purpose of the NSA and the method of info requests, you'd realize that the US government doesn't give two turds about Joe Blow playing xbox in his living room. This is for investigating suspected criminals/terrorists only, on a case by case basis, using information from not only Microsoft but nearly every media sharing company.

There's a difference between vigilance and paranoid delusion that should probably be explained a little clearer to gamers.
I don't want to get too into this but that's just how it begins and it will escalate from there.

Someone made a post on ****** the other day in a ********* called "change my view" titled

Quote:
I believe the government should be allowed to view my e-mails, tap my phone calls, and view my web history for national security concerns. Change my View.
You should read this post :

http://www.***********/r/changemyview...wed_to/caeb3pl

It's a little long but it gives you a good idea how something like this has the potential to be very very bad.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
That's what MS is doing. Don't tell the schizos though. You can set it to have the camera off and the microphone only listening for "XBOX ON" in a low power state.

Or, you know, Skynet 1984 alien invaders rectal probing NSA domestic terrorism police state. Whichever sounds better to you.
...so its always listening? Don't say its off but then tell me it turns on as soon as I tell it too. Obviously that means its still in some form of power state where its listening.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Got a PS3 AND the Last of us for an early birthday present.

can't wait to start playing it....just waiting for the thing to finish downloading.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
...so its always listening? Don't say its off but then tell me it turns on as soon as I tell it too. Obviously that means its still in some form of power state where its listening.
Did you read what I said?

It's listening for one phrase, ignoring everything else.
It's in a low power state.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
but that's just how it begins and it will escalate from there
Well, hopefully it will inspire people to realize how much personal information they're giving out to these companies in the first place. And hopefully these companies lobby the government for law amendments to protect the info of the citizens.

But to believe that this will escalate into fascist governments with totalitarian rule is patently absurd.

It takes very little intelligence to read something and believe it.
It takes more intelligence to read something, reasonably debate it, and focus on solutions, instead of screaming bloody murder.

It's a video game toy, for christ's sake. Sometimes the only thing separating a lone schizophenic from an activist is sheer numbers.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Got a PS3 AND the Last of us for an early birthday present.

can't wait to start playing it....just waiting for the thing to finish downloading.
Just finished it today. Amazing game

Old
06-21-2013, 01:27 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Did you read what I said?

It's listening for one phrase, ignoring everything else.
It's in a low power state.

So it listens to everything, but ignores it....

Old
06-21-2013, 01:57 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So it listens to everything, but ignores it....
Have you ever tried using voice recognition? I don't find it difficult to believe at all

06-21-2013, 02:11 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Have you ever tried using voice recognition? I don't find it difficult to believe at all
Oh I find it easy to believe that it could just become active from that phrase and never be malicious about it. It would also be very easy for it to send in a little snippet every time it hears "bomb" or "terrorist" or "911" however unlikely it is.

Just as you shouldn't be going all conspiracy theory on the "always listening" thing, you shouldn't 100% believe that Microsoft will never sell you out now or in the future.

Quite honestly maybe recording everything is in our best interests. If they want to watch me in my skivvies throwing a tantrum while playing twelve year olds in NHLxx, then so be it

Old
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:

No, they aren't. You can only software disable it. You can't shut it off in a way that guarantees it can't be turned on remotely.

Not that I'm all that worried. If the NSA wants to watch me masturbate that badly, so be it.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
No, they aren't. You can only software disable it. You can't shut it off in a way that guarantees it can't be turned on remotely.

Not that I'm all that worried. If the NSA wants to watch me masturbate that badly, so be it.
Right, missed the hardware part.

Honestly, I think the NSA doesn't give a **** about Kinect 2, but Microsoft will find a way to scan your room, recognize your products, and market all sorts of easy-sell similar products with their plethora of ads on their ridiculous interface.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Perfect_Drug

So.

The Xbone and PS4 are the exact same thing again?

I love paying $900 for 2 consoles that give a marginal graphical update!!

http://techasino.blogspot.ca/2011/03...son-shots.html

/sarcasm

Last edited by Perfect_Drug: 06-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old
06-21-2013, 10:11 AM
dnicks17

Can we start calling it the XB1?

I keep reading it as X-bone haha.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Yeah unfortunately if you're NOT a PC gamer it's awful. I play MAYBE 2 games on PC and I've been forced to go through Steam each time. Had to download this thing to my PC, had to make an account for something I'll never use and can't play my games without logging in. It's a huge piss off. I lost my password and was screwed for a little while. I can see why PC gamers like it, but I can't stand it. Just let me download my game and play it.

I also dislike DLC which is another major feature of Steam. Like I said in the original post you guys quoted, I am not a PC gamer.
There's an offline mode, so none of that is relevant.

90% of PC titles are now sold on steam. That's how good the service is. You also get these times of years when they have INSANE sales. like FarCry 3, for $20? Recently Released Tomb Raider for $25. The entire THQ library for $60.

Also, auto-updating your buggy crashing game? Yes plz. Cloud saves so I can play my EXACT same game where I left it off at work? YES plz.

Logging in is a HUGE problem despite ENORMOUS benefits.. with an easy to use password recovery service?

:S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Can we start calling it the XB1?

I keep reading it as X-bone haha.

hehe, it IS X-bone

Old
06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
So.

The Xbone and PS4 are the exact same thing again?

I love paying $400-$500 for a marginal graphical update!!

This is TOTALLY worth $500:
http://techasino.blogspot.ca/2011/03...son-shots.html

/sarcasm
I'm curious what the settings are like for these pics... is the PC graphics settings cranked or is it on default?

Old
06-21-2013, 10:57 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
There's an offline mode, so none of that is relevant.

90% of PC titles are now sold on steam. That's how good the service is. You also get these times of years when they have INSANE sales. like FarCry 3, for $20? Recently Released Tomb Raider for $25. The entire THQ library for $60.

Also, auto-updating your buggy crashing game? Yes plz. Cloud saves so I can play my EXACT same game where I left it off at work? YES plz.

Logging in is a HUGE problem despite ENORMOUS benefits.. with an easy to use password recovery service?

:S
Not everyone likes signing up for stuff. Especially stuff you're not going to use ever. I repeat, I AM NOT A PC GAMER. Therefore none of those are beneficial to me.

Closed Thread