HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #926
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Multitasking?
Gamer lifestyle, man.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #927
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Why not just unplug the damn thing? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in and play
It probably doesn't turn off. It probably has some sort of heart or it's own energy source...

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  #928
fysloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 321
vCash: 50
I can live with the xboxone original demands and drm, but really, the issue I have with xboxone is the lack of games I care about foreign game developers (primarily from japan).

That said, can someone please explain to me why cloud computing and expandable universes and all that argument for always online only works for xboxone and not ps4? Seeing as how the concept of cloud computing (ie. having all xbox's compute something when it is not busy) isn't even being used as it was mentioned they are using dedicated servers to do it, throwing a wrench in why the xbox even needs to be always online. Unless someone can prove otherwise, everything I read for why its good to have always online (from a users perspective, not corporations) can easily be achieved on the PS4 for users connected to the internet (which is basically a majority when they play a game unless they unplug the internet cord) with little to no extra effort.


Serious question that NOBODY has ever answered me (across multiple forums, I seem to get ignored when I bring that up).

fysloc is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
  #929
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Pretty sure "the cloud" has been confirmed to be mostly PR buzz at this point thanks to Microsoft's reversal. Even the way they were talking about it at E3 just sounded like window dressing...

I mean really... "driveatars"?

Their online requirements were probably 99% for license authentication. The cloud was a smokescreen.

syz is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
  #930
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Why not just unplug the damn thing? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in and play
Why not just let me hardware disable it so I don't fricken have to unplug it.

SK13 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
  #931
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Why not just let me hardware disable it so I don't fricken have to unplug it.
That's what MS is doing. Don't tell the schizos though. You can set it to have the camera off and the microphone only listening for "XBOX ON" in a low power state.

Or, you know, Skynet 1984 alien invaders rectal probing NSA domestic terrorism police state. Whichever sounds better to you.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
  #932
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I can live with the xboxone original demands and drm, but really, the issue I have with xboxone is the lack of games I care about foreign game developers (primarily from japan).

That said, can someone please explain to me why cloud computing and expandable universes and all that argument for always online only works for xboxone and not ps4? Seeing as how the concept of cloud computing (ie. having all xbox's compute something when it is not busy) isn't even being used as it was mentioned they are using dedicated servers to do it, throwing a wrench in why the xbox even needs to be always online. Unless someone can prove otherwise, everything I read for why its good to have always online (from a users perspective, not corporations) can easily be achieved on the PS4 for users connected to the internet (which is basically a majority when they play a game unless they unplug the internet cord) with little to no extra effort.
My understanding was that the 'always on' functionality had these benefits:

- game/system updates delivered while the console is sleeping, so you avoid booting your system up and finding gawdawful 30 minute system updates (looking at you, PS3) and game updates (looking at you, 360)

- game authentication, so you can play from your hard drive without a disc (still a great idea in my book)

- obviously cloud computing to achieve giant gaming worlds, likely which far more activity than your average MMO or Skyrim

- representing your avatar online for your friends to play with when you're not gaming - I thought this was an incredible idea. A virtual driving me, a virtual fighter me, a virtual NHLer me...this could have been a ton of fun
Serious question that NOBODY has ever answered me (across multiple forums, I seem to get ignored when I bring that up).

The biggest catch is that everybody had to be online all the time to be playing the same current everything, as I understand it. I was quickly warming up to this whole idea, but MS botched the PR. Too bad.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
  #933
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Apparently the One's initial "family sharing" system was going to be restricted to one hour of playtime until your family had to buy the game themselves...

Wonder how much worse it would have gotten for MS if they hadn't 180'd.

syz is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
  #934
GrindNMuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
-I love the new fighting.

- Even though i hate college hockey in real life, I think they should add NCAA hockey. It would be different and it will change it up, not just drafting CHL and over seas players in a BE A GM

GrindNMuck is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
  #935
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Because it's ridiculous, unfounded, conspiracy theory bullplop. If you understand the purpose of the NSA and the method of info requests, you'd realize that the US government doesn't give two turds about Joe Blow playing xbox in his living room. This is for investigating suspected criminals/terrorists only, on a case by case basis, using information from not only Microsoft but nearly every media sharing company.

There's a difference between vigilance and paranoid delusion that should probably be explained a little clearer to gamers.
I don't want to get too into this but that's just how it begins and it will escalate from there.

Someone made a post on ****** the other day in a ********* called "change my view" titled

Quote:
I believe the government should be allowed to view my e-mails, tap my phone calls, and view my web history for national security concerns. Change my View.
You should read this post :

http://www.***********/r/changemyview...wed_to/caeb3pl

It's a little long but it gives you a good idea how something like this has the potential to be very very bad.

SephF is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
  #936
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
That's what MS is doing. Don't tell the schizos though. You can set it to have the camera off and the microphone only listening for "XBOX ON" in a low power state.

Or, you know, Skynet 1984 alien invaders rectal probing NSA domestic terrorism police state. Whichever sounds better to you.
...so its always listening? Don't say its off but then tell me it turns on as soon as I tell it too. Obviously that means its still in some form of power state where its listening.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 10:22 PM
  #937
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,605
vCash: 500
Got a PS3 AND the Last of us for an early birthday present.

can't wait to start playing it....just waiting for the thing to finish downloading.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 10:59 PM
  #938
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
...so its always listening? Don't say its off but then tell me it turns on as soon as I tell it too. Obviously that means its still in some form of power state where its listening.
Did you read what I said?

It's listening for one phrase, ignoring everything else.
It's in a low power state.


Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:21 PM
  #939
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
but that's just how it begins and it will escalate from there
Well, hopefully it will inspire people to realize how much personal information they're giving out to these companies in the first place. And hopefully these companies lobby the government for law amendments to protect the info of the citizens.

But to believe that this will escalate into fascist governments with totalitarian rule is patently absurd.

It takes very little intelligence to read something and believe it.
It takes more intelligence to read something, reasonably debate it, and focus on solutions, instead of screaming bloody murder.

It's a video game toy, for christ's sake. Sometimes the only thing separating a lone schizophenic from an activist is sheer numbers.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
  #940
InUtero
Oilers!
 
InUtero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Got a PS3 AND the Last of us for an early birthday present.

can't wait to start playing it....just waiting for the thing to finish downloading.
Just finished it today. Amazing game

InUtero is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:27 AM
  #941
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Did you read what I said?

It's listening for one phrase, ignoring everything else.
It's in a low power state.

So it listens to everything, but ignores it....

T-Funk is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:57 AM
  #942
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,905
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So it listens to everything, but ignores it....
Have you ever tried using voice recognition? I don't find it difficult to believe at all

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:11 AM
  #943
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Have you ever tried using voice recognition? I don't find it difficult to believe at all
Oh I find it easy to believe that it could just become active from that phrase and never be malicious about it. It would also be very easy for it to send in a little snippet every time it hears "bomb" or "terrorist" or "911" however unlikely it is.

Just as you shouldn't be going all conspiracy theory on the "always listening" thing, you shouldn't 100% believe that Microsoft will never sell you out now or in the future.

Quite honestly maybe recording everything is in our best interests. If they want to watch me in my skivvies throwing a tantrum while playing twelve year olds in NHLxx, then so be it

T-Funk is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
  #944
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
That's what MS is doing. Don't tell the schizos though. You can set it to have the camera off and the microphone only listening for "XBOX ON" in a low power state.

Or, you know, Skynet 1984 alien invaders rectal probing NSA domestic terrorism police state. Whichever sounds better to you.
No, they aren't. You can only software disable it. You can't shut it off in a way that guarantees it can't be turned on remotely.

Not that I'm all that worried. If the NSA wants to watch me masturbate that badly, so be it.

SK13 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
  #945
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
No, they aren't. You can only software disable it. You can't shut it off in a way that guarantees it can't be turned on remotely.

Not that I'm all that worried. If the NSA wants to watch me masturbate that badly, so be it.
Right, missed the hardware part.

Honestly, I think the NSA doesn't give a **** about Kinect 2, but Microsoft will find a way to scan your room, recognize your products, and market all sorts of easy-sell similar products with their plethora of ads on their ridiculous interface.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
  #946
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
So.

The Xbone and PS4 are the exact same thing again?



I love paying $900 for 2 consoles that give a marginal graphical update!!

http://techasino.blogspot.ca/2011/03...son-shots.html



/sarcasm


Last edited by Perfect_Drug: 06-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  #947
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,700
vCash: 500
Can we start calling it the XB1?

I keep reading it as X-bone haha.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
  #948
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Yeah unfortunately if you're NOT a PC gamer it's awful. I play MAYBE 2 games on PC and I've been forced to go through Steam each time. Had to download this thing to my PC, had to make an account for something I'll never use and can't play my games without logging in. It's a huge piss off. I lost my password and was screwed for a little while. I can see why PC gamers like it, but I can't stand it. Just let me download my game and play it.

I also dislike DLC which is another major feature of Steam. Like I said in the original post you guys quoted, I am not a PC gamer.
There's an offline mode, so none of that is relevant.

90% of PC titles are now sold on steam. That's how good the service is. You also get these times of years when they have INSANE sales. like FarCry 3, for $20? Recently Released Tomb Raider for $25. The entire THQ library for $60.

Also, auto-updating your buggy crashing game? Yes plz. Cloud saves so I can play my EXACT same game where I left it off at work? YES plz.



Logging in is a HUGE problem despite ENORMOUS benefits.. with an easy to use password recovery service?

:S



Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Can we start calling it the XB1?

I keep reading it as X-bone haha.


hehe, it IS X-bone

Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
  #949
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
So.

The Xbone and PS4 are the exact same thing again?



I love paying $400-$500 for a marginal graphical update!!

This is TOTALLY worth $500:
http://techasino.blogspot.ca/2011/03...son-shots.html



/sarcasm
I'm curious what the settings are like for these pics... is the PC graphics settings cranked or is it on default?

SephF is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:57 AM
  #950
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cosmic
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 19,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
There's an offline mode, so none of that is relevant.

90% of PC titles are now sold on steam. That's how good the service is. You also get these times of years when they have INSANE sales. like FarCry 3, for $20? Recently Released Tomb Raider for $25. The entire THQ library for $60.

Also, auto-updating your buggy crashing game? Yes plz. Cloud saves so I can play my EXACT same game where I left it off at work? YES plz.



Logging in is a HUGE problem despite ENORMOUS benefits.. with an easy to use password recovery service?

:S
Not everyone likes signing up for stuff. Especially stuff you're not going to use ever. I repeat, I AM NOT A PC GAMER. Therefore none of those are beneficial to me.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.