HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  #426
XX
One More
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia?
Country: United States
Posts: 40,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

1) The lack of free choice. You're essentially forced to react to everything violently. I think a game like the Walking Dead has the edge in that regard due to the way it tests you psychologically, while here you simply experience it, without being able to do anything about it.
The world is a violent place. The game is a commentary on what desperate humans are like more than anything. It gets to the point where it's just safer to kill another human than attempt to befriend them. This plays out both ways in two separate chapters. The juxtaposition of the two is brilliant, IMO.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
  #427
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,992
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The world is a violent place. The game is a commentary on what desperate humans are like more than anything. It gets to the point where it's just safer to kill another human than attempt to befriend them. This plays out both ways in two separate chapters. The juxtaposition of the two is brilliant, IMO.
Agreed, from a story perspective, it's great. But as a video game, I prefer to make my own choices instead of simply watching someone else's story unfold.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
  #428
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton
 
McSkittlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 10,316
vCash: 500
Just finished it. Amazing game. I started on hard difficulty with everything off which just added more to the intensity of the game. Plus I used a headset just to make it more creepier. My hands were pretty much sweaty from the beginning until the end. Can't think of another game that did that.

McSkittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  #429
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Agreed, from a story perspective, it's great. But as a video game, I prefer to make my own choices instead of simply watching someone else's story unfold.
Probably would be pretty hard to do that with the story they are telling. You can choose not to kill most people in the game though. There are countless mobs I've snuck by. I played the game like Joel would never kill unless fired upon or threatened first (of course, this doesn't count for the infected).

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:49 AM
  #430
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
So I knew there was something familiar during the subway level.
-The Last of Us
-My commute to work



ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:33 AM
  #431
XX
One More
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia?
Country: United States
Posts: 40,885
vCash: 500
Just beat it. Dat ending.

Questions though...

Spoil:
I wasn't paying close enough attention to the doctor's recorder. Were there really others like her? Or did Joel just lie to Ellie so he could keep her to himself as a surrogate Sarah?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:45 AM
  #432
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Just beat it. Dat ending.

Questions though...

Spoil:
I wasn't paying close enough attention to the doctor's recorder. Were there really others like her? Or did Joel just lie to Ellie so he could keep her to himself as a surrogate Sarah?
SPOILERS
Spoil:
No, there was no recording stating that. Someone misheard the recording and it somehow went viral. However, it didn't seem like they knew for sure if they could do it successfully (obviously, look at the medical facility). Ellie knew Joel was lying (Naughty Dog basically confirmed it) so my feelings are the following;

* Joel lied because he couldn't be bare losing another daughter. Was it selfish? Maybe - but I don't think so. From the voice recorders you find, it doesn't sound like the Fireflies are all that confident it'll work either. So they are basically killing a young girl for only a sliver of hope. Joel was not going to lose another "daughter" through means of someone else. So while I can see how it could be considered selfish, it could also be considered selfish that the Fireflies wanted to kill a young girl for a very slim hope.

* Ellie knew that Joel was lying as she woke up drugged with a hospital gown on - if the game tells us anything, it's that she's not stupid. I believe Ellie had Survivor's Guilt because she knew that she may have been able to help some people with a possible cure. But at the same time, even though she had the guilt, she grew so close to Joel and didn't want to die, which is why she was willing to take his "lie" at face value. She asked a second time because she wanted to make sure this is what Joel wanted (since he'd pushed her away before). When he answered "I swear" - you could see, behind the guilt, that her heart dropped and she was happy to still be alive with Joel.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:02 AM
  #433
XX
One More
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia?
Country: United States
Posts: 40,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
...
Spoil:
If that's what they were aiming for, they should have had Ellie run up to Joel and hug him. Have him initially taken aback by the gesture, then crack a smile or even look at his watch one last time. Cut to black.

The ending as it was presented was a little... abrupt

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
  #434
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Spoil:
If that's what they were aiming for, they should have had Ellie run up to Joel and hug him. Have him initially taken aback by the gesture, then crack a smile or even look at his watch one last time. Cut to black.

The ending as it was presented was a little... abrupt
Spoil:
Even though Ellie wanted to live and wanted to keep having Joel to be around, she was still suffering from guilt. She wasn't going to run up and be cherry all of a sudden. She's not sure if they did the right thing or not, but she loves Joel and she's not about to question him - she cares about him too much. If Joel thinks they did the right thing - that's good enough for her.

As for the "okay" line, they said that was a nod to the voice actress who would say okay to everything when she understood and agreed. It was a cool behind the scenes thing that makes the game more special to them.


Last edited by Natey: 06-20-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
  #435
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
Unless you have a party, don't bother playing this game online. You're going to get killed 9 times out of 10 if you don't have at least 3 people you know working together.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
  #436
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,061
vCash: 500
Even if that is the case, if you're up against guys much higher levels than you, it's still going to be a total ***** and a half.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
  #437
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bob Johnson
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 66,188
vCash: 2626
Yeah, I hopped online for the first time last night and was just slaughtered as my team just ran around doing their own thing...also getting slaughtered. Granted the first game I got set up in put me with two other 0s and a 4 against a 12, an 11, and two 10s. C'mon...

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  #438
Kovifan27
Registered User
 
Kovifan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
I just picked this up. It's been hard to find everywhere and I didn't do the simple thing and order it off amazon.

So far so good. After you get the "package" does the game pick up or does it keep the same tone?

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
  #439
Beats By CoRD
Tommy Fresh
 
Beats By CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In The Studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, I hopped online for the first time last night and was just slaughtered as my team just ran around doing their own thing...also getting slaughtered. Granted the first game I got set up in put me with two other 0s and a 4 against a 12, an 11, and two 10s. C'mon...
That pisses me off the most. I am a 3 now which is still crap.. and I'll join a game and I'll be with a 4, 0 and 1 and the other team has 15, 11, 2 and 9. Seriously wtf. How fair is that.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  #440
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
That pisses me off the most. I am a 3 now which is still crap.. and I'll join a game and I'll be with a 4, 0 and 1 and the other team has 15, 11, 2 and 9. Seriously wtf. How fair is that.
All games are like that - especially if they are in a party. Call of Duty and Battlefield do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I just picked this up. It's been hard to find everywhere and I didn't do the simple thing and order it off amazon.

So far so good. After you get the "package" does the game pick up or does it keep the same tone?
Yes - way better. Although I found the start pretty damn awesome, but it was introducing you to a lot of stuff, so it's definitely more fast pace afterwards.

However, the tone doesn't really change except that your struggle for survival gets even more crazy.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
  #441
Telos
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,525
vCash: 435
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Just finished. What a game! What an ending! Masterful job by Naughty Dog.

One thing that I was wondering, which doesn't require a spoiler tag, and I am too lazy to look up or load a past save to find out is that earlier in the game I remember there being warnings about "stalker" infected that would hide in bushes, and attack you surprisingly, etc... Yet, I don't recall ever having run into one. Did anyone else catch that, or did I just read that entire thing wrong and misinterpret it?

Spoil:
I think that was the first time a video game has ever ended the exact way I had hoped it would have. I suspected when first given the task of escorting Ellie that she was the cure, and immediately figured that she would have to die for that cure to be realized, but wasn't sure that they were ever going to make it there.

I kind of expected it to either be him or her dying no matter what, and in all likeliness end up like another Red Dead Redemption, where he sacrifices himself for her and then you take control of her for the rest of the game.

Very happy with how it ended up, even though that is a recipe for disaster in the future The lie won't last very long as long as they are around people and I don't see how the Fireflies don't search for them. Even if they never find them, it is bound to come to Ellie's attention quickly, just by interacting with others for a couple of years that no cure has been found and there haven't been very many immune, if any, discovered. Still a badass ending though. Wow.


P.S. Ellie is a badass.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
  #442
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,061
vCash: 500
Beat it as well. Holy **** that ending.

Spoil:
The one thing I keep thinking throughout the last third of the game, is realizing the cruelty of humans and what we are capable of to protect those we love. And it really captures that so well.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
  #443
Telos
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,525
vCash: 435
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even if that is the case, if you're up against guys much higher levels than you, it's still going to be a total ***** and a half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, I hopped online for the first time last night and was just slaughtered as my team just ran around doing their own thing...also getting slaughtered. Granted the first game I got set up in put me with two other 0s and a 4 against a 12, an 11, and two 10s. C'mon...
Reminds me of Assassin's Creed III. The first week or so of pvp was amazing and brilliantly fun. Then after that you always found yourself fighting against set teams that would just dominate you every which way, and people who have been playing multiplayer non-stop since launch and are like level 50 when everyone is barely in their teens, etc. That's just how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
So far so good. After you get the "package" does the game pick up or does it keep the same tone?
The game kind of goes in a wave pattern of ups and downs. Action and slow development. It maintains that pace pretty steadily throughout the game. It becomes predictable, but the game is just so good that it is easy to overlook.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
  #444
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Spoil:
I think that was the first time a video game has ever ended the exact way I had hoped it would have. I suspected when first given the task of escorting Ellie that she was the cure, and immediately figured that she would have to die for that cure to be realized, but wasn't sure that they were ever going to make it there.

I kind of expected it to either be him or her dying no matter what, and in all likeliness end up like another Red Dead Redemption, where he sacrifices himself for her and then you take control of her for the rest of the game.

Very happy with how it ended up, even though that is a recipe for disaster in the future The lie won't last very long as long as they are around people and I don't see how the Fireflies don't search for them. Even if they never find them, it is bound to come to Ellie's attention quickly, just by interacting with others for a couple of years that no cure has been found and there haven't been very many immune, if any, discovered. Still a badass ending though. Wow.
Spoil:
Actually, Naughty Dog has come right out and stated that Ellie knew Joel was lying. They said they had a ending where she believed him and that was it - but they decided very quickly that Ellie was too smart for that. So my interpretation (that I posted earlier in this thread) is;


* Ellie knew that Joel was lying as she woke up drugged with a hospital gown on - if the game tells us anything, it's that she's not stupid. I believe Ellie had Survivor's Guilt because she knew that she may have been able to help some people with a possible cure. But at the same time, even though she had the guilt, she grew so close to Joel and didn't want to die, which is why she was willing to take his "lie" at face value. She asked a second time because she wanted to make sure this is what Joel wanted (since he'd pushed her away before). She's not sure if they did the right thing or not (Heck, she may not have known she was going to be murdered), but she loves Joel and she's not about to question him - she cares about him way too much after all they've been through. If Joel thinks they did the right thing (and I believe they did) - that's good enough for her. When he answered "I swear" - you could see, behind the guilt, that her heart dropped and she was happy to continue her life with Joel.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
  #445
McDavidsLulaInMyBund
Oilers!
 
McDavidsLulaInMyBund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Just finished the game. One of the best games I've played this year

McDavidsLulaInMyBund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:11 AM
  #446
Telos
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,525
vCash: 435
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
SPOILERS
SPOILERS


Spoil:
Actually, Naughty Dog has come right out and stated that Ellie knew Joel was lying. They said they had a ending where she believed him and that was it - but they decided very quickly that Ellie was too smart for that. So my interpretation (that I posted earlier in this thread) is;


* Ellie knew that Joel was lying as she woke up drugged with a hospital gown on - if the game tells us anything, it's that she's not stupid. I believe Ellie had Survivor's Guilt because she knew that she may have been able to help some people with a possible cure. But at the same time, even though she had the guilt, she grew so close to Joel and didn't want to die, which is why she was willing to take his "lie" at face value. She asked a second time because she wanted to make sure this is what Joel wanted (since he'd pushed her away before). She's not sure if they did the right thing or not (Heck, she may not have known she was going to be murdered), but she loves Joel and she's not about to question him - she cares about him way too much after all they've been through. If Joel thinks they did the right thing (and I believe they did) - that's good enough for her. When he answered "I swear" - you could see, behind the guilt, that her heart dropped and she was happy to continue her life with Joel.
Spoil:
Yeah, I read that after I posted, and it makes sense. I didn't think that she believed him, just that the lie is so obvious that it is bound to come up. Wherever they live, every single day, they'll hear about how much of a lie it was.

Loved the ending though. I am probably one of the few that would have done the same, though for different reasons. I think if the human race comes done to a single little girl like that (which it technically didn't, there are probably thousands, if not millions, of immune globally) then that is that.

Just an amazing game all around. I agree with an earlier sentiment that I wish I could erase my memory, go back and play it all over again Just so good. My favorite had to be the sequence with Ellie in the marauder camp. Just running around, jumping on guys, stabbing the **** out of everyone and kicking ass. Ellie is awesome.

I also kind of wish that I had used more supplies more. I went through the whole game with pretty much max everything and max supplies, always saving, because I thought there would be more boss challenges and such, or a more challenging infected introduced, etc... Not that I was disappointed, but knowing what I know now, I would probably have had more fun blowing everything up and lighting everything on fire more often Was surprised that there were only three types of infected by the end.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:55 AM
  #447
BoeserOfTwoEvils
3rd overall? Nope!
 
BoeserOfTwoEvils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,001
vCash: 500
**** I want this so badly but I don't have a PS3 and it won't work on PS4

BoeserOfTwoEvils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
  #448
Pilky01
Registered User
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
**** I want this so badly but I don't have a PS3 and it won't work on PS4
You have a PS4?!

Seriously though, go buy a PS3. Its not like it isn't worth the money.

Im three of four hours into the game. It is everything it is hyped up to be, and more. I hated the Uncharted games, so I was completely skeptical coming into this one. I wasn't hyped for this game one bit right up until the reviews started streaming in.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
  #449
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 35,315
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
**** I want this so badly but I don't have a PS3 and it won't work on PS4
Same

I'm done buying systems for a game or two so it looks like I won't get to play this game unless there's a good PS3 emulator someday


Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  #450
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Same

I'm done buying systems for a game or two so it looks like I won't get to play this game unless there's a good PS3 emulator someday

Well you could always buy the new Grand Theft Auto pack when it comes out and then trade the PS3 into EB Games when they have one of those +50% on console deals. Get $150 for the console, get Grand Theft Auto & an $150 headset for $150.


Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.