HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Barclays Center is set up for hockey, and it's weird

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
That's certainly interesting to look at. Odd not see anything behind one of the nets.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Comparing Nascar to Hockey is difficult. You are comparing a sport where each team has to play 82 games and almost all are televised (Florida...) so saturation is a little higher. Nascar made $3B in Revenue last year, Hockey made $2.9B very close.

Secondly, I would not be surprised if there are more renovations made throughout the next few summers to better accommodate the Islanders.

As far as the comments about the players not wanting to play there, Nassau was rated deadlast in where the players enjoy playing. They use to hate MSG and Pittsburgh's old arena, but one was renovated, the other was torn down.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
I think if they can convert the concrete end to foldable end, it would improve the arena for hockey. It shouldnt be that hard. And as for the scoreboard, make it movable.

And Barclays Center looks real great when you see it in person.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Hipietro

Looks pretty bad right now, I really hope they follow through with the renovations.

The only thing that matters to me in an arena are the sight lines, which is why I love the Coliseum. I don't give a **** about the food, shops, luxury suites, etc. I'm there to watch a hockey game.

I am all for the move to Brooklyn, but it will be very disappointing if the sight lines are poor.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I think if they can convert the concrete end to foldable end, it would improve the arena for hockey. It shouldnt be that hard. And as for the scoreboard, make it movable.

And Barclays Center looks real great when you see it in person.
I don't think it would be hard per say, but it would be very expensive and very time consuming. Also you have to shut down operations for a good portion of time. I see no reason why Barclays would commit to have the Islanders in their building if they weren't prepared to pay such a price. It would look very bad for their image, and they should be smarter than to allow NHL hockey to be played in.... that thing... for 25 years. If they do the very expensive renovations, then the New York Islanders shoot up to the top in revenues and profits, and arena size won't do much to hinder it. I'm thinking 120-130M in total revenues that area, but it could easily be more. If they don't do the renovations, they'll pretty much stay where they are, and continue to be the laughing stock of the league.

I'm not an engineer, but I think renovations would start at 100M, and could go as high as 300M in cost and lost profits. I think, it's worth it, considering we are talking about a locked in 25 year timeframe, and that the Barclay's Center is slowly taking over business operations for the team. I wonder if the contract could be dropped if both parties agree to negate it?

Old
06-20-2013, 05:47 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't mind the external design, it just looks like crap because it's got a rusted steel colour to it. Give it more metallic shine and it would look decent.

The interior looks great - very intimate and comfortable... for basketball.
When set up for hockey, it's just a mess.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

it'll look better if and when the mixed use towers are thrown up around it as planned

Old
06-20-2013, 05:58 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
I don't think it would be hard per say, but it would be very expensive and very time consuming. Also you have to shut down operations for a good portion of time. I see no reason why Barclays would commit to have the Islanders in their building if they weren't prepared to pay such a price. It would look very bad for their image, and they should be smarter than to allow NHL hockey to be played in.... that thing... for 25 years. If they do the very expensive renovations, then the New York Islanders shoot up to the top in revenues and profits, and arena size won't do much to hinder it. I'm thinking 120-130M in total revenues that area, but it could easily be more. If they don't do the renovations, they'll pretty much stay where they are, and continue to be the laughing stock of the league.

I'm not an engineer, but I think renovations would start at 100M, and could go as high as 300M in cost and lost profits. I think, it's worth it, considering we are talking about a locked in 25 year timeframe, and that the Barclay's Center is slowly taking over business operations for the team. I wonder if the contract could be dropped if both parties agree to negate it?
2, 3 months should be enough. While they are doing that they can add Isles locker room. NBA season doesnt start until October anyway (end in June and in Nets case, May). You arent demolishing whole thing, just one small section. Dodgers demolished small section of their stadium to put in lockerroom and other things and put it back together before this season started.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Is that actually the final configuration?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I wonder if fans will keep going if they discover the sight lines suck and the tickets are more expensive.
Modern pro sports economics: The last seats are the cheapest seats.

The Islanders earned $20 million in gate revenue in NVMC. In Barclays, they can earn $54 million from suites and premium seating alone.

If there's 3000 cheap seats selling for $30 in a "normal" NHL arena, that's under $5 million in revenue from seats 15K to 18K.

Had they left the NY market, they could earn that $5 million in bigger venue tickets, and the $55 million from suites/premium seating a state of the art arena would provide. But (a) no guarantee the new market is as interested as NY for hockey, and most importantly, very few markets have TV deals like the Islanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
This is just another area where the NHL has shown a lack of foresight. When the plans were being changed, Bettman should have stepped in and told Nassau / Suffolk counties that their time was up, and brokered a deal at that time with the Isles and Barclays.
The issue wasn't foresight. Ratner designed Barclays to fit an NHL rink.
Those plans were modified because the clock was ticking on his financing and he didn't have city approval.
He had to get a shovel in the ground or lose is financial backing, and the revised, smaller arena would be approved.

At the time, Wang and the Islanders still had TWO avenues to get a new arena built. The Lighthouse wasn't rejected yet; and the referendum hadn't taken place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well the lease is only for 25 years so by the time the Islanders are also force they will already be done with that lease.
See also: $35 million in additional suite revenue.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:07 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

I remember reading an article about the bar of clay in Brooklyn, and if I remember right it was designed to "rust out". Yuck. That architect needs to be fired.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

I don't know why people see this and think "wow just shows how much no one cares about hockey!". The Barclay's center was never intended to host a hockey team. The Isles just stepped in during construction and said, "Hey, mind if we play here?" (I don't entirely know the situation but that's how I interpreted it). I mean it's not like the builders already knew the Isles would play there and purposely made the hockey setup ****** anyway.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
No.

Modern pro sports economics: The last seats are the cheapest seats.

The Islanders earned $20 million in gate revenue in NVMC. In Barclays, they can earn $54 million from suites and premium seating alone.

If there's 3000 cheap seats selling for $30 in a "normal" NHL arena, that's under $5 million in revenue from seats 15K to 18K.

Had they left the NY market, they could earn that $5 million in bigger venue tickets, and the $55 million from suites/premium seating a state of the art arena would provide. But (a) no guarantee the new market is as interested as NY for hockey, and most importantly, very few markets have TV deals like the Islanders.

The issue wasn't foresight. Ratner designed Barclays to fit an NHL rink.
Those plans were modified because the clock was ticking on his financing and he didn't have city approval.
He had to get a shovel in the ground or lose is financial backing, and the revised, smaller arena would be approved.

At the time, Wang and the Islanders still had TWO avenues to get a new arena built. The Lighthouse wasn't rejected yet; and the referendum hadn't taken place.

See also: $35 million in additional suite revenue.
This is at worst a break even proposition for the Islanders (and I have a hard time seeing it get that bad), and a potential grand slam at best. In the end, it's all about location, location, location, and it really doesn't get much better than Brooklyn. So many potential customers, and so much money floating around. Capacity on it's own is not an issue at all, and if anything, it helps the Islanders in a similar way that a small arena helped the Jets... it creates demand and buzz.

But I have to call a spade a spade... the seating is atrocious, and something has to be done about it before they play NHL regular season games. Especially in the corners in the lower bowl, you almost have to turn around to see the corner boards. How are you supposed to charge full price for that exactly?

Old
06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I think it's brutal. The Coliseum has much better sight lines. That's the price we have to pay to keep our team though.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
This is at worst a break even proposition for the Islanders (and I have a hard time seeing it get that bad), and a potential grand slam at best. In the end, it's all about location, location, location, and it really doesn't get much better than Brooklyn. So many potential customers, and so much money floating around. Capacity on it's own is not an issue at all, and if anything, it helps the Islanders in a similar way that a small arena helped the Jets... it creates demand and buzz.

But I have to call a spade a spade... the seating is atrocious, and something has to be done about it before they play NHL regular season games. Especially in the corners in the lower bowl, you almost have to turn around to see the corner boards. How are you supposed to charge full price for that exactly?
If the suites leases are sold out, it's better than break even (compared to NVMC).

Suites are corporate in nature. With the proximity to Manhattan and the fact that the suites won't have obstructed views, they're going to make more money in Brooklyn than NVMC.

The configuration is GOING to be a problem. But Islanders fans watch on TV now because of the arena/lease situation & watching on TV is better than losing your team.

It's not ideal, but it's a better not-ideal situation than before.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
Another drawback I see here is that there is still no entrances to the locker rooms behind the bench. Sucks for the players , coaches, and training staff.
What current NHL arenas have locker room entrances that aren't attached to the benches? I know the visiting team at the Tank has to skate across the ice to get to their locker room.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:14 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
As to your second "point," it's a design critique on my part. The arena is hideous.
Examples of excellent modern architecture please.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i'd love to see a conversion video of NBA -> NHL -> NBA for the barclays center.

06-20-2013, 08:37 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

from the link on page 1.....
http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...rd/#more-41139
Quote:
A source with knowledge of the planning has told Point Blank that as a result of the arena not being specifically designed for hockey this will indeed be the layout and Barclaysí scoreboard will not hang directly over center ice. It will be off-center, hanging over one side of the neutral zone. The Barclays is going to leave this aspect of the setup as-is.

The source added that the Barclays Center is looking at possible ways to fit more seats into the arena, which will hold at least 14,500 for hockey, but that it isnít possible to make changes to the sightlines or the structure of the building.
It would seem this will be the basic set up for 25 years. I'm glad the Islander fans get to keep the team and they don't seem bothered by this so far.

Last edited by wunderpanda: 06-20-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added link
Old
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Examples of excellent modern architecture please.
Examples not needed. You can judge a building based on it's own merit, or lack thereof. I've seen the building and I find it to be hideous to look at. However, I could care less what it looks like on the exterior. But leaving the island to play in a building where hockey was an afterthought...and where one end of the arena doesn't even have seating...for 25 years...doesn't seem to be a huge improvement relative to what they're leaving...age of the building notwithstanding.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

looks like a piece of **** compared to oilers new arena

Old
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Muf
Rookie User

on the tumbnails
Point 1: not sure you can see all the ice,:
Point 2: no way you can see in the short corner
Point 3: seat pointing ...

i don't see them playing 25 years there....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 061813_barclays.jpg‎ (80.9 KB, 73 views)

Old
06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Jax1166

The NHL just had to have three teams in NY, they just had to because no other sport, let alone hockey, has 10% of the league in one market.

So I can't wait to hear how loud and intense Isles games are in a chopped up arena, game atmosphere will suck even if they draw.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:30 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Question... could they not put in "bleacher seats" behind the goal on the left end? This would give them extra seats, at moderately high prices. And if they can get a bit over 500 in there, it would mean that MTS Centre in Winnipeg would still be the smallest arena in the league.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Question... could they not put in "bleacher seats" behind the goal on the left end? This would give them extra seats, at moderately high prices. And if they can get a bit over 500 in there, it would mean that MTS Centre in Winnipeg would still be the smallest arena in the league.
This is so stupid, this so dumb...did we really need to keep the Isles in NY and really need three...THREE nhl teams in one market at this cost?

Really? The Pacific Northwest has no team, Quebec City has no team, the gulf coast has no team...but we had to keep THREE teams in NY and one in Phoenix....and the NHL wonders why.....

Old
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muf View Post

on the tumbnails
Point 1: not sure you can see all the ice,:
Point 2: no way you can see in the short corner
Point 3: seat pointing ...

i don't see them playing 25 years there....
No ifs, ands, or butts, they have to make the other end retractable through a very expensive remodel, or else hockey simply will not work. The ice HAS to be centered. No band-aid solution will fix it.

P.S. The hockey market in Toronto is bigger than the hockey market in all of New York... maybe.

Closed Thread