Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Yeah, those new warmups are pretty bad. Thankfully, they are only warmups. The new alternates are sick though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg otters alternate.jpg‎ (45.8 KB, 8 views)

Old
06-20-2013, 08:39 AM
OHL27

vCash: 500
Can't see abraham or donnay making it. Felker just got the clear for contact after six months so who knows ... Raddysh and dermott have a good sho to make it. Saban might make it. Mcdowell and pelech are the only locks imo.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHL27 View Post
Can't see abraham or donnay making it. Felker just got the clear for contact after six months so who knows ... Raddysh and dermott have a good sho to make it. Saban might make it. Mcdowell and pelech are the only locks imo.
Has Dermott signed?

Old
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Has Dermott signed?
no, but he is very likely to. he was wearing otters gloves at rookie camp, a benefit given to players who have signed or "agreed to terms". To the guy above, abraham will make the team as the 3rd OA but is unlikely to play much. Donnay is doubtful unless he seriously steps up his physical play and makes smarter passes. Saban will make it, along with Raddysh, Dermott, Pelech, and McDowell. Just my guess anyways.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
OHL27

Abraham was awful last year. Just awful. Not as bad as donnay but he turns the puck over regularly and he would arguably be one of the worste oa's in the league. To not take a guy like felker who was a seconed round pick at 6'3 and a decent puck mover would be dumb imo. Who knows how good he really could be.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:18 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Abraham was awful last year. Just awful. Not as bad as donnay but he turns the puck over regularly and he would arguably be one of the worste oa's in the league. To not take a guy like felker who was a seconed round pick at 6'3 and a decent puck mover would be dumb imo. Who knows how good he really could be.
I agree with you, especially the Donnay comments. Donnay has the worst first pass in the OHL from my perspective. He is so soft and panics with pressure.

Felker must be given an opportunity in Erie. Or they could run the risk of shipping him out pre-maturely and have him burn them if he pans out.

Erie in my opinion needs to hire a defensive guru. It will make a huge difference.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:42 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

Quote:
Has Dermott signed?
Heard he has several scholly opportunities including Michigan and Penn State. Erie should sign him right away or he is likely back to Newmarket then off to NCAA in 2014.
Any idea who Erie is looking at for the Import Draft?

Old
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
Heard he has several scholly opportunities including Michigan and Penn State. Erie should sign him right away or he is likely back to Newmarket then off to NCAA in 2014.
Any idea who Erie is looking at for the Import Draft?
That would be a substantial loss if Dermott goes that route. In my opinion given what I saw from him playing for Newmarket this past year, he could step into Erie's Top 4.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:38 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Pelech - mcdowell
Dermott - Euro
Abraham - Raddysh/Saban

Old
06-20-2013, 04:34 PM
OHL27

We won't know until the season starts.. But its not a wise choice to keep the guy! I'd rather go with felker or murphy even mayo and I haven't even seen him play yet. If anything they'll trade for another overager. Trust me

Old
06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
KnightSpit

ERIE D and Best D In The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
Pelech - mcdowell
Dermott - Euro
Abraham - Raddysh/Saban
BramptonFan

What's with all the Euro stuff, I mean Erie last year got burned on a so called KHL Phenom who played what like 60 games for you guys and was a bust. While you sat, sent down or did not play Felker and Murphy. Learn from past mistakes.

Good luck with that I heard, Kessel's sister is available LOl !!!

Best D in the NHL right now hands down Duncan Keith, Brent I always get game winning Stanley Cup playoff overtime goals, Johnny Boychuk, Chara and Zeidenberg (sic) these guys have the right balance of toughness, grit, great hands, offensive skill and can log a ton of minutes

Old
06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
KnightSpit

D Roster

Quote:
We won't know until the season starts.. But its not a wise choice to keep the guy! I'd rather go with felker or murphy even mayo and I haven't even seen him play yet. If anything they'll trade for another overager. Trust me

Windsor or London will take both Felker and Murphy off your hands.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Windsor or London will take both Felker and Murphy off your hands.
Not going to happen. They wont just throw away their talent.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:58 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

guys im pretty sure dermott is coming to erie, and i think if abraham is on the team it will just be as a leadership/mentor role to help out the young guys. Dermott, Felker, Raddysh, and Saban would all play over him

Old
06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
guys im pretty sure dermott is coming to erie, and i think if abraham is on the team it will just be as a leadership/mentor role to help out the young guys. Dermott, Felker, Raddysh, and Saban would all play over him
You really think those three players with little no OHL experience will play over Abraham. Consider this, Abraham will never be a top 4 OHL D. Last year he was thrown into the fire and asked to play against the top lines in the OHL and obviously that was no easy task and plus minus showed. He has 60 career OHL points 0.33 point per game average. He would and has been a good third pair dman. Playing him with a young guy would provide a calming influence oppose to throwing two rookies into the fire. He wore an A last year once Knoblach took over for a reason, obviously good character and like the guys. Having 4 rookie dman won't help. Saban- no games played Dermott- no games played Felker- 17 games played and limited shifts, possible Euro- no games played Murphy- 10 games maybe? Abraham has close to 160 games and 60 points. He is a minus 46 on his career or so but everyone on the otters was bad there. McDowell a staggering minus 46 yet no concerns about him? You don't win with inexperience Bluelines.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
You really think those three players with little no OHL experience will play over Abraham. Consider this, Abraham will never be a top 4 OHL D. Last year he was thrown into the fire and asked to play against the top lines in the OHL and obviously that was no easy task and plus minus showed. He has 60 career OHL points 0.33 point per game average. He would and has been a good third pair dman. Playing him with a young guy would provide a calming influence oppose to throwing two rookies into the fire. He wore an A last year once Knoblach took over for a reason, obviously good character and like the guys. Having 4 rookie dman won't help. Saban- no games played Dermott- no games played Felker- 17 games played and limited shifts, possible Euro- no games played Murphy- 10 games maybe? Abraham has close to 160 games and 60 points. He is a minus 46 on his career or so but everyone on the otters was bad there. McDowell a staggering minus 46 yet no concerns about him? You don't win with inexperience Bluelines.
Raddysh showed a lot of promise last season, and the same arguement you used about abraham can be used for mcdowell as well. I dont agree with playing Murphy, I dont think he is that good. If your "top 4" is pelech, mcdowell, euro, trade, that's four experienced dmen right there, so those four guys I listed would play over Abraham to mix in the youth with the vets. This is a year where Erie must have a winnning season and make the playoffs, but it also has to be balanced with playing some of those younger guys, because the way things are shaping up, 2014-2015 could possibly be a cup run year.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Raddysh showed a lot of promise last season, and the same arguement you used about abraham can be used for mcdowell as well. I dont agree with playing Murphy, I dont think he is that good. If your "top 4" is pelech, mcdowell, euro, trade, that's four experienced dmen right there, so those four guys I listed would play over Abraham to mix in the youth with the vets. This is a year where Erie must have a winnning season and make the playoffs, but it also has to be balanced with playing some of those younger guys, because the way things are shaping up, 2014-2015 could possibly be a cup run year.
Cup run next year? Really? I don't see it. If you look at teams historically the year before such a run, they don't have nearly the holes this team does.

Perhaps the following year if everything falls correctly.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
OHL27

Bramptonfan, are you related to abrahams? If so try to realize that your opinion is bias. And I think he meant a cup run in a couple years

Old
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Cup run next year? Really? I don't see it. If you look at teams historically the year before such a run, they don't have nearly the holes this team does.

Perhaps the following year if everything falls correctly.
I said 2014-2015 could possibly be a cup run. Strome and McDavid will both be in their draft years, Williams will be the netminder, and our defense will hopefully have matured by then.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I said 2014-2015 could possibly be a cup run. Strome and McDavid will both be in their draft years, Williams will be the netminder, and our defense will hopefully have matured by then.
Those two are fantastic prospects, but you need more, lots more. IMHO

Look at the depth of players Barrie had this past year and they did not advance out of the league....

Old
06-21-2013, 12:54 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I dont agree with playing Murphy, I dont think he is that good.
I agree with you about Murphy. While he could evolve into a great player from what I saw this past season he had taken a step back in progress. He seemed to have gained some weight and was a bit slow because of that. Nothing a hard off season training cant fix though.
Erie can not go into the season with Saban, Dermott, Felker, and Raddysh in their top 6. That is no knock on any of these tremendous prospects. They all have great potential but, it has everything to do with a team that looks to be a contender must have an experienced d core. Even if the get a top import he will likely not have played to many games if any in North America. With that being said they need a top 4 d-man from that draft. A trade for another top 4. I like going into camp with

Pelech-Euro/Trade
McDowell- Euro/Trade
Abraham/Dermott/ Raddysh/Felker/ Saban battle for the last two starting spots.

Abraham gets criticized but as a bottom paired player he can be effective. If he is cut because they trade for another OA it would not shock me though. It is tough to see those four young prospects battle for the last spot(s) but if the team wants to contend a young d will likely not work. With that being said I really like the future prospects this team has though. They have 4-5 potential great d-men around that 16-17 age.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:35 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with you about Murphy. While he could evolve into a great player from what I saw this past season he had taken a step back in progress. He seemed to have gained some weight and was a bit slow because of that. Nothing a hard off season training cant fix though.
Erie can not go into the season with Saban, Dermott, Felker, and Raddysh in their top 6. That is no knock on any of these tremendous prospects. They all have great potential but, it has everything to do with a team that looks to be a contender must have an experienced d core. Even if the get a top import he will likely not have played to many games if any in North America. With that being said they need a top 4 d-man from that draft. A trade for another top 4. I like going into camp with

Pelech-Euro/Trade
McDowell- Euro/Trade
Abraham/Dermott/ Raddysh/Felker/ Saban battle for the last two starting spots.

Abraham gets criticized but as a bottom paired player he can be effective. If he is cut because they trade for another OA it would not shock me though. It is tough to see those four young prospects battle for the last spot(s) but if the team wants to contend a young d will likely not work. With that being said I really like the future prospects this team has though. They have 4-5 potential great d-men around that 16-17 age.
I agree with pretty much everything you say there. I was not trying to suggest that all 4 of those young guys (Dermott, Raddysh, Felker, Saban) all be in the top 6, but two of them should be. That d-core you listed would be enough to be possibly even a top 4 team in the west this season, provided the goaltending doesnt fall apart. Then if you turn an eye to the 2014-2015 season, we have Pelech, the Euro, possibly the trade, plus Raddysh, Felker, Saban, and Dermott on defense, a pretty strong d-core imo.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:40 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Those two are fantastic prospects, but you need more, lots more. IMHO

Look at the depth of players Barrie had this past year and they did not advance out of the league....
For the 2014-2015, we'll have on forward guys like Crisp, Cairns, Harper, Brown, Strome, Hodgson, T. Fox, Kohler, Petit, Betz, and Lattavo. Plenty of forward depth. I think Williams is going to be strong in net by then. Only real question mark is if the 4 big d young guys we have (Raddysh, Dermott, Felker, Saban) will be able to be good enough.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Bramptonfan, are you related to abrahams? If so try to realize that your opinion is bias. And I think he meant a cup run in a couple years
Lol no I am not although my previous comments did seem bias. I have been an avid Brampton fan since day one and Spencer was one of my favorites. Not because of his on ice play but how he always took the time for me and others after games win or lose. I don't disagree with any of the comments regarding erie playing younger players and about abraham being a low end overager. He wouldn't get a sniff of an OA spot with his skill alone anyone would tell you that. But I know he's loved by his teammates in Brampton and Erie which is why he is sticking around. The older PEOPLE and the way they act on and off the ice has a huge impact on the young players future. At the end of the day what is said on here has no impact on decisions. I respect everyones opinion and believe that they wouldn't invite him back to camp without the intention of keeping him.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I agree with pretty much everything you say there. I was not trying to suggest that all 4 of those young guys (Dermott, Raddysh, Felker, Saban) all be in the top 6, but two of them should be. That d-core you listed would be enough to be possibly even a top 4 team in the west this season, provided the goaltending doesnt fall apart. Then if you turn an eye to the 2014-2015 season, we have Pelech, the Euro, possibly the trade, plus Raddysh, Felker, Saban, and Dermott on defense, a pretty strong d-core imo.
Its hard to say that given that Saban and Dermott have played 0 OHL games. Raddysh played 24 games and Felker 17. No arguements on anything Pelech related. He is a warrior.

The Euro...I think the Euro draft is forward heavy toward the top, it will be interesting what they do. Last year's import draft did little to nothing for the team. Taking Dansk who I think is good, did little for a rebuilding team. Kuleshov was a fish out of water. Goldobin went 36th.

Closed Thread