HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla?

Old
06-13-2013, 06:29 PM
cardsfan

vCash: 500
Iginla?

Not saying where there's smoke there's Flames, but I've seen Iginla-to-the-Blues chatter a few places lately and was wondering whether people here thought it made sense.

Chatter via:

Calgary Sun: "One of the most intriguing possibilities is with the St. Louis Blues, with whom there’s cap space and a relative void on the right side. But how he’d fare in Ken Hitchcock’s defence-first system is questionable."

Bleacher Report: "The Blues should be a contender on the rise, but have twice stumbled to postseason defeat at the hands of the stifling Kings. Furthermore, they still list Jamie Langenbrunner on injured reserve and just lost 35-year-old alternate captain Andy McDonald to retirement, meaning they could use a booster injection of veteran presence up front."

My NHL trade rumors: "Francis thinks that if Jarome Iginla wants a serious shot at the Stanley Cup, he’d have a take a big pay-cut. It would be due to the fact that Cup contenders would have a tough time fitting in a bigger contract. How many teams would/could fit in more than $3 million a year for him? The Ducks could be a fit, especially his Teemu Selanne retires. San Jose might be able to fit him in on a one-year deal. The Blues could fit him in on the right side, but would he fit in Ken Hitchcock’s system?"

Bluenotezone: "The Blues need Jarome Iginla. At age 35 and with a declining performance in the Pittsburgh Penguins post season run questioning of Iginla’s ability to be the high impact difference he has virtually always been is understandable. Predictable even. Reason to steer away from making a change. But is it a good reason? Is that alone enough? Going back to 1998-99 Iginla has scored goals at a clip no lower than .32/game. That’s a 26 goal season over 82 games. The Blues have had two players score than many goals in the last 7 years. Backes with 31 in 2010-11 and Brad Boyes in 2007-08 and 08-09. The Blues don’t score much. Iginla does. In terms of playoff success Iginla has been a solid contributor with 32 goals and 61 points in 69 career post season appearances. Further, “Iggy” is known as one of the most respected captains in the game today. While Backes has come a long way with the letters on his sweater, there is much he could learn. Both in leading a successful team in good times and a struggling team through the bad. Those quick to point out his lack of transparent leadership in the Pens demise this season should look closer. They suffered an identity crisis at the worst time when their star players weren’t acting like ones. In St. Louis Iginla could be one of THE guys and not just a guy who got added. Enough of a difference to be a difference."

cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Bluesman91

Too old and ineffective. Plays wing and we are already stacked at wing. Don't see us outbidding other teams for him either.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
cardsfan

I think the Sun's claim that we are light on the right side is misinformed, but we are definitely light on pure scoring ability -- and even if Iginla's lost a step (looked more like two vs. the Bruins), the guy knows how the puck gets in the net. He had more points than any Blue but Stewart in the regular season and more per game than any Blue in the postseason (granted, playing with Malkin).

So I could see it being a pretty good fit, if the price isn't too high.

It would potentially give us seven top-six wingers (Iginla, Oshie, Steen, Perron, Stewart, Schwartz, Tarasenko), but considering we don't exactly know what we're getting out of Tarasenko (and to a lesser degree Schwartz, Stewart and Perron), a bit of flexibility isn't a bad thing.

cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:15 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan View Post
I think the Sun's claim that we are light on the right side is misinformed, but we are definitely light on pure scoring ability -- and even if Iginla's lost a step (looked more like two vs. the Bruins), the guy knows how the puck gets in the net. He had more points than any Blue but Stewart in the regular season and more per game than any Blue in the postseason (granted, playing with Malkin).

It would potentially give us seven top-six wingers (Iginla, Oshie, Steen, Perron, Stewart, Schwartz, Tarasenko), but considering we don't exactly know what we're getting out of Tarasenko (and to a lesser degree Schwartz, Stewart and Perron), a bit of flexibility isn't a bad thing.
LOL why would we need 7 top six wingers when you can only use 4 granted with us we more or less run 3 2nd lines. So that is 6. Also our budget is uncertain until we sign all of our RFAs. We also have Jaskin and Rattie who could make pushes for our wing spots. Until our RFAs are signed adding a winger is pretty pointless or until we trade away a winger.

We need a center not wingers the Sun article is laughable. It's so misinformed you think they would at least do a little fact checking.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan View Post

There is no flexibility there. Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart and Perron are going to be expected to play in every game next season. We are not going to go out and spend $4m+ on a player who isn't really needed.

If we were to lose an winger in a trade, which I think is likely, then I think we will look towards Iginla or Brière.

As for the Sun, you have to be a complete idiot to work at their newspapers. Garrioch was linking us to Gonchar the other day, because we really need help on the blue-line apparently...

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
BlueDream

Not at all what we need.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:35 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Pass

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I don't see where Iginla would fit in our lineup. Unless Armstrong decides to move Stewart at the draft for a 1st? I can't remember who it was on twitter, but a Blues reporter said the team was proceeding with the assumption that it was going to have a pick in the first round this year. Whether that happens or not, I'd prefer Stewart over Iginla easily. Iginla has lost a step unfortunately.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I don't see where Iginla would fit in our lineup. Unless Armstrong decides to move Stewart at the draft for a 1st? I can't remember who it was on twitter, but a Blues reporter said the team was proceeding with the assumption that it was going to have a pick in the first round this year. Whether that happens or not, I'd prefer Stewart over Iginla easily. Iginla has lost a step unfortunately.
I don't see any chance of this team trading a roster player straight up for a first-round pick. People can tell me all about this "deep draft" they want, but that's not what a team like the Blues should be doing at this point and I bet Armstrong has the same mindset.

He's not just going to say "yeah we haven't paid any attention to this draft class since we don't have a first." The scouts and everyone still have a job to do.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:01 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

5 years ago yes, right now no.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
shifting

Slow winger with a huge price tag? No thanks.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:30 AM
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I don't see any chance of this team trading a roster player straight up for a first-round pick. People can tell me all about this "deep draft" they want, but that's not what a team like the Blues should be doing at this point and I bet Armstrong has the same mindset.

He's not just going to say "yeah we haven't paid any attention to this draft class since we don't have a first." The scouts and everyone still have a job to do.
You wouldn't take a 1st round pick (10-20 range) for Halak?

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Dont really see a fit, we dont need another winger but having said that Iginla is one of my all time favorites and would love to see him wear the Note, but its not very likely.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
The only way that it would make sense is if we were packaging two wingers for a center upgrade and thought Iginla could still bring us a good amount of production on the powerplay, which needs a lot of help. The amount of money it would take to sign him makes the whole idea seem a lot less likely though.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
You wouldn't take a 1st round pick (10-20 range) for Halak?
Forgot about him. Yeah him or Elliott is the one player I would do it for, but I don't see any other team doing that.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Forgot about him. Yeah him or Elliott is the one player I would do it for, but I don't see any other team doing that.
We can dream....

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
No interest whatsoever.
Doesn't meet our needs at all.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
dxgoalie

Are you all high? If the blues could win Iggy for 4-5 mill that would be an absolute steal. No he isn't the fastest skater, but Hitchs game doesn't really make that a disadvantage. Iggy scores and the blues need someone who scores, i agree he doesn't score like he use to, but with his current level of scoring is still better than most seasons any blues player has had in recent years, with little help in calgary. Also with langs, mcdonald, and nichol gone it would be nice to add a vet to try and keep the players even keel. When langs was not traveling with the team that was towards the end of the season when we "needed the team to buy in"

dxgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxgoalie View Post
Are you all high? If the blues could win Iggy for 4-5 mill that would be an absolute steal. No he isn't the fastest skater, but Hitchs game doesn't really make that a disadvantage. Iggy scores and the blues need someone who scores, i agree he doesn't score like he use to, but with his current level of scoring is still better than most seasons any blues player has had in recent years, with little help in calgary. Also with langs, mcdonald, and nichol gone it would be nice to add a vet to try and keep the players even keel. When langs was not traveling with the team that was towards the end of the season when we "needed the team to buy in"
You should try posting your excellent opinions here.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:37 PM
dxgoalie

excluding this messed up season iggys past three years 09-10 82 games 32 goals, 10-11 82 games 43 goals, 11-12 82 games 32 goals. all for an absurdly bad calgary. find a player the blues have a chance on that can put up these numbers.

dxgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote