HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Barclays Center is set up for hockey, and it's weird

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 10:21 PM
htpwn

vCash: 500
It seems I'm minority here but I like the building. Well, as a basketball arena at least.

The exterior is unique and while the rusted look is not everyone's cup of tea, it can be and has been used very effectively here to create an aesthetically pleasing facade. As to how it will age, that is anyone's guess. Victorian architecture was once hated much like brutalism is today. Good architecture ages better than bad architecture though and in that regard, I think this building will do better than most of its glass contemporaries.

Unfortunately, it is not a hockey arena, and I'm still disappointed that the NHL allowed this move by Islanders. You should not be able to move into an arena where half the stands need to come out to fit a regulation sized rink. It looks ridiculous, it is ridiculous, and it will be, barring a renovation, for every single one of the next 25 years.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:35 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Examples not needed. You can judge a building based on it's own merit, or lack thereof. I've seen the building and I find it to be hideous to look at. However, I could care less what it looks like on the exterior. But leaving the island to play in a building where hockey was an afterthought...and where one end of the arena doesn't even have seating...for 25 years...doesn't seem to be a huge improvement relative to what they're leaving...age of the building notwithstanding.
Well I wasn't addressing you and I wasn't asking for examples of excellent modern architecture to judge the merits of this building, but please, enlighten me. I would love, love, love, love to read a well thought out and cogent review of this structure from such an accomplished architectural critic as yourself.

And since you're such an accomplished architectural critic perhaps you could provide some examples of fine modern architecture to enlighten us proles.

I will presume if you are unable to that you're talking out your ass, which of course is in fitting around here.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Well I wasn't addressing you and I wasn't asking for examples of excellent modern architecture to judge the merits of this building, but please, enlighten me. I would love, love, love, love to read a well thought out and cogent review of this structure from such an accomplished architectural critic as yourself.

And since you're such an accomplished architectural critic perhaps you could provide some examples of fine modern architecture to enlighten us proles.

I will presume if you are unable to that you're talking out your ass, which of course is in fitting around here.
Enlighten you how? I don't need a well thought out and cogent review of the structure, nor do I need to be an architectural critic, much less an an accomplished one in order to have an opinion. You're no more either of those things than I am, but I'm sure you have an opinion nonetheless. You're just PO'ed because yours is different than mine. I think the building is outright fugly whether you like it or not. Since when does one have to talk out his ass or otherwise in order to express an opinion? That's what it boils down to. I'm not stating anything factual. I'm expressing my opinion. I respect yours...whatever it may be. Try to show some common GD courtesy and return the favor. Thank you.

I never knew people needed to be experts or professional in order to give a subjective opinoin.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It seems I'm minority here but I like the building. Well, as a basketball arena at least.

The exterior is unique and while the rusted look is not everyone's cup of tea, it can be and has been used very effectively here to create an aesthetically pleasing facade. As to how it will age, that is anyone's guess. Victorian architecture was once hated much like brutalism is today. Good architecture ages better than bad architecture though and in that regard, I think this building will do better than most of its glass contemporaries.

Unfortunately, it is not a hockey arena, and I'm still disappointed that the NHL allowed this move by Islanders. You should not be able to move into an arena where half the stands need to come out to fit a regulation sized rink. It looks ridiculous, it is ridiculous, and it will be, barring a renovation, for every single one of the next 25 years.
Better brace yourself for criticism. If you're not a professional architectural enthusiast or critic, you're not allowed to voice your opinion on such matters around here. It's against the rules.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:46 PM
scotchex

Yeah, it looks stupid. Such is life.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:47 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

As long as it seats 15000+ good seats I dont care how it looks and and one else should neither. Otherwise Winnipeg never should have gotten a team with MTS Centre.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Better brace yourself for criticism. If you're not a professional architectural enthusiast or critic, you're not allowed to voice your opinion on such matters around here. It's against the rules.
Well I didn't say that either.

People are free to express their opinions as they wish, and there are plenty of opinions on the BoH. Informed ones are of course in short supply but such is life.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Yeah, it looks stupid. Such is life.
Get him Thomas! Get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-20-2013, 10:59 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Examples of excellent modern architecture please.
Frank Gehry's original concept was pretty excellent, in my opinion. When they passed the project off to Ellerbe Becket, it kind of became a mess.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Well I didn't say that either.

People are free to express their opinions as they wish, and there are plenty of opinions on the BoH. Informed ones are of course in short supply but such is life.
Informed opinions? LOL

Personal preference regarding exterior aesthetics and architecture doesn't have to do with being informed. It's like saying people that dislike purple cars aren't informed because you happen to like them.

The building's hideous in my opinion. But I didn't go to architectural charm school. Perhaps I'm being unkind.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
The NHL just had to have three teams in NY, they just had to because no other sport, let alone hockey, has 10% of the league in one market.
A - The NHL had nothing to do with it, it was the Devils (Rockies).
B - And MLS has had over 10% of the league in one market for a while

Old
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
The Korean*

What was the circumstance in which NHl let Rockies move to NJ? Was it when Canadian dollars were weak?

Old
06-21-2013, 12:21 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
They'll see a big boost in game day revenue when they first move into Barclays, but dollars to donuts they're going to be wishing that they didn't sign such a longterm lease before their time there's up, especially if they ice a great team and become a hot ticket.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:28 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
What was the circumstance in which NHl let Rockies move to NJ? Was it when Canadian dollars were weak?
In 1978, New Jersey trucking magnate Arthur Imperatore, Sr. bought the Rockies with the intention of moving them to northern New Jersey. The NHL kept saying no because they didn't have a venue yet, and relented when the arena opened in 1982-83.

Gary Bettman was 25 years old when the process started, just out of law school and didn't start working for the NHL until well over a decade later. So it's all his fault.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:43 AM
N o o d l e s

I really hate that there is no seats behind the goalie, I'm sure the shooters won't mind though. They should give away those seats on the left side.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
They'll see a big boost in game day revenue when they first move into Barclays, but dollars to donuts they're going to be wishing that they didn't sign such a longterm lease before their time there's up, especially if they ice a great team and become a hot ticket.
The 2

Old
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
The 25 year lease is a sweetheart deal people are forgetting. The team will sell tickets because its a new arena and as long as the team performs. The arena is rarely a focal point when the team plays like a champ.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:05 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
They'll see a big boost in game day revenue when they first move into Barclays, but ith dollars to donuts they're going to be wishing that they didn't sign such a longterm lease before their time there's up, especially if they ice a mgreat team and become a hot ticket.
I rather have the best team with the worst arena then the worst team with the best arena.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I rather have the best team with the worst arena then the worst team with the best arena.
How about a decent team with a decent arena. The seating is pretty ******. There's gotta be something they can do before the Isles actually start playing there.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:57 AM
The Korean*

Like I said if theres a 15000 GOOD seats its not a problem. There is already 14500 good seats there. So all the garbage sightline seats are not part of it.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:37 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
At the end of the lease hockey will be a mostly cammed event. The coverage will be such that most people won't make the trip to the arena any more. Really, the crowd will be used for reaction noise and celebrity placements.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Examples of excellent modern architecture please.
The Senedd in Cardiff is probably my favorite Rogers design

Old
06-21-2013, 02:55 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Like I said if theres a 15000 GOOD seats its not a problem. There is already 14500 good seats there. So all the garbage sightline seats are not part of it.
14,500 is the capacity for hockey that's including the garbage seats.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Wow....

I knew it was going to be pretty bad, but yikes.

At least the team is staying.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:38 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
I think he is totally right when he writes hockey is 4th or 5th in America. I would say 5th or 6th.

NFL, MLB, NBA, College, Nascar way front.

The NHL in places like Barclays is not the cause, it's the evidence.
The NHL is definitely more popular than NASCAR. NASCAR has a very regional (think Southern US) following.

Closed Thread