HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The 'No-More-Shootouts' thread

Old
10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You make it sound as though those are the only two goalposts Kovalev has hit. Last season each of his misses were on the goalposts (I believe he only scored 2 and missed 3 or 4). Regardless I think he should still be one of our shootout guys, since he actually knows what to do, but sometimes lacks the finish.
Hitting a post means you have beaten the goalie and were inches away from scoring. Plus aiming dead at a post is hard to do. To make it more fun, posts should be worth two shootout points. Would be fun to watch goalies trying to cover all their posts with a forward speeding up to them.

Seriously, Kovy is IMO our best shootout forward.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Hitting a post means you have beaten the goalie and were inches away from scoring. Plus aiming dead at a post is hard to do. To make it more fun, posts should be worth two shootout points. Would be fun to watch goalies trying to cover all their posts with a forward speeding up to them.

Seriously, Kovy is IMO our best shootout forward.
I'd agree...he just gets unlucky most of the time. I'm still wondering why Samsonov or Perezhogin haven't been tried out this year.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Fido22

Quote:
I'd agree...he just gets unlucky most of the time. I'm still wondering why Samsonov or Perezhogin haven't been tried out this year.
I agree and wonder the same.

Old
10-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
You make it sound as though those are the only two goalposts Kovalev has hit. Last season each of his misses were on the goalposts (I believe he only scored 2 and missed 3 or 4). Regardless I think he should still be one of our shootout guys, since he actually knows what to do, but sometimes lacks the finish.
Well, I was only talking about this year, since I like giving everyone a clean slate. Ryder, for example.

The fact he's hitting goalposts so often on shootouts is a good thing; it's easier to adjust your backhand an inch than try to teach someone how to deke. Ryder, again, for example (thank goodness he's just shooting now).

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Samsonov especially.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Samsonov especially.
Samsonov has mad skillszzzz. He could dump the puck in a corner, recover it, circle the offensive zone, force into the net at an angle and five hole it. We win!

Old
10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Habs13

Shootouts suck... as do the massive amount of penalties being called.

A team like the Wild seem to be, as per Donald S. Cherry, trying to drag games into the shootout where they completly dominate... they'll make the playoffs by doing that. They drop all 5 players into their own zone and force teams to dump the puck in on them where they have zero chance of racing in against five guys to get the puck back. The Wild has aleady been doing this and have had sucsess in doing so... they have a lot of guys that can really dangle and a good goalie.

This is the game the shootout is bringing us and we'll see it more and more as the season gets older and teams are fighting for playoff spots. Great job Gary. The trap is back, bigger than ever.

Gary wanted to make fans happy... but he took the fighting out (not completly gone yet) - I have never seen a crowd get as pumped up as they do when theres a fight on the ice. So now pukes like Justin Williams can fly around smashing players in the face with his stick and theres nothing you can do about it. Great job Gary.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:58 PM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Three shootouts is more than enough for an entire season, let alone the team's first game.

Let's hope for no more this year, since shootouts really suck!
Shootouts are chill, even if MTL lost, it wasn't due to lack of scoring talent. It was due to poor coaching decisions on shootout and bad goaltending. (Huet isn't a shootout goalie)

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
there has to be better ways to determine a game. let them play overtime until theres a winner or settle for ties.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
maybe for you, but not for me

when we won, I was as happy as a regular win.

When we lost, I feel a bit sad, but say to myself that at least, we got a point.

So the shootout brings me extra pleasure when we win and a certain satisfaction when we lose. But when we were tied, I was just mad to see a game finish like that.
it feels so artificial to win with a shootout.. and the intrigue is already starting to wear off

I just hope that the time never comes that they start using these for the playoffs.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote