HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's your favorite Oiler prospect from the junior, college, and euro ranks?

View Poll Results: Which prospect will be the most valuable nhl'er?
JDD 19 24.36%
Niinimaki 19 24.36%
Pouliot 5 6.41%
Mikhnov 11 14.10%
Greene 8 10.26%
McDonald 3 3.85%
Brodziak 6 7.69%
Joukov 3 3.85%
Helminen 2 2.56%
Other... 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Who's your favorite Oiler prospect from the junior, college, and euro ranks?

Imagine that you are starting up your own team and can pick just one Oilers prospect free of charge (not someone who has already made the ahl or nhl team), which one would you take?

Top 3?

I'll throw the top ten prospects from the hf main into a poll.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I can't believe Matt Greene was left off of the list!

He's my pick. The man is awesome!

Old
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I can't believe Matt Greene was left off of the list!

He's my pick. The man is awesome!
Shake your head again...

Matt Greene is probably the safest bet out of all of them to make the nhl - he's big, mean, talented, and healthy - but I still have high hopes for Brodziak, Niinimaki, Mikhnov, and the oft injured Pouliot.

Actually I'm going to take Kyle for his combo of size, leadership, scoring ability, & position.

Last edited by Oi'll say!: 01-06-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Malmo_Mike

I really like what I've read about McDonald, won't be the best guy but he seems to have an amazing work ethic.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Shake your head again...
Hey, his name wasn't listed when I voted. :p

Old
01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Aw man, can't choose. Love em all the same!
But if I had to choose, it'd be Pouliot or Niinimaki.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Lowetide

I voted for Greene so Oilers Chick would be covered off.

If I was starting a team, and got three prospects off the Oiler tree, I would choose:

1. Marc-Antoine Pouliot
2. Jeff Drouin Deslauriers
3. Doug Lynch

My "off the board" pick is Brock Radunske. He has been improving slowly but surely, will probably score 15 this year. The scouting reports (and what Prendergast and Howson have said about him courtesy Guy) have been solid.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Easilee 27

I voted other, as I will take Kenny Smith. He looked great at the prospect camp, very sound defenseman.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I voted before who I would start a team with.... I'd take Deslauriers if that's the case. But I voted for my favorite prospect Mikhnov. He's huge, he's a good skater, and has finish.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
I picked JDD, every team needs a solid Goalie

Old
01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I voted before who I would start a team with.... I'd take Deslauriers if that's the case. But I voted for my favorite prospect Mikhnov. He's huge, he's a good skater, and has finish.
And it would be nice to have a big forward who plays like he knows how big he is for a change. Not that I dislike Isbister, but that drives me nuts sometimes.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I voted for McDonald - never seen him play, but this interview was excellent, each answer was great. This guy will make it to the NHL and will be the best player he could be.

Top3:
1. McDonald
2. Woywitka (liked him the whole team in Philly, too)
3. Matthew Greene (the type of dman i like a lot)

Old
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
I voted for McDonald - never seen him play, but this interview was excellent, each answer was great. This guy will make it to the NHL and will be the best player he could be.

Top3:
1. McDonald
2. Woywitka (liked him the whole team in Philly, too)
3. Matthew Greene (the type of dman i like a lot)
McDonald was my choice too, but I went off the question in the headline, of favourite player. I think McDonald has the highest chance of making the show though of all our prospects, but could be anywhere from 4th line grinder to top line power forward. The guy I think with the highest end potential is Niinimakii, I don't think he'll reach his top end though.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:15 PM
speeds

who are these people not voting for Mikhnov?

fools

Old
01-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Obsessed

1)JDD
2)Woywitka
3)Greene

It is my firm belief that you need a strong French goalie from the Q if you want to win the cup. The proof is in the pudding. Having solid D is nice too!!

Old
01-07-2004, 06:28 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
1) JDD
2) Woywitka
3) Lynch

I couldn't say Mikhnov (sorry speeds ) since we haven't seen him play OR heard much about him.

a solid goalie for the future with a defense pairing that will last for a long time providing a peace of mind in three important positions for some time to come.

However if we were to include the ability to pick from every other organisation in the NHL as well I wouldnt pick JDD, as much as I like him I would pick perhaps Woywitka and put Mikhnov as 3rd since I think Miller would become a better goalie.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Slats432

I felt it a difficult choice. I also find it odd that the tendancy for almost everyone on Oilers HF Board likes a prospect other than Pouliot.

I voted Niinimaki because he seems to have everything a prospect needs to make the NHL.

I have questions about most of the others, I don't know much about Greene or Smith(I always hear good things about Kenny Smith though )

Top 3 prospects....

Niinimaki
JDD
Pouliot

Old
01-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
who are these people not voting for Mikhnov?

fools
Once he actually sets foot in North America, THEN I'll vote for him.

I chose Niinimaki. It was a tossup between him and Pouliot, but from what I've briefly seen of him he has the talent, and just as important I think he'll adjust to the North American/NHL way of things better than most Euros. He seems to be very outgoing, and not afraid. My only worry is that shoulder of his. He messed it up real good.

Pouliot is right behind him, it's maddening with MAP because of all these various injuries he can't seem to escape. If he's not getting rocked by Phaneuf, he's pulling groins or slipping on banana peels. I'm really hoping once he matures physically he'll grow out of it, because he definitely has top 6 talent.

If I'm picking a 3rd guy, I can't help but pick Greene. I can't get these visions of Derian Hatcher out of my head when I think of what he could be.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:14 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
If I'm picking a 3rd guy, I can't help but pick Greene. I can't get these visions of Derian Hatcher out of my head when I think of what he could be.
I voted for Greene for that reason. I don't pretend to know a lot about any of these prospects, but a menacing jackass on the blueline is something that I've felt the Oilers have needed for a long time.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:32 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Once he actually sets foot in North America, THEN I'll vote for him.

I chose Niinimaki. It was a tossup between him and Pouliot, but from what I've briefly seen of him he has the talent, and just as important I think he'll adjust to the North American/NHL way of things better than most Euros. He seems to be very outgoing, and not afraid. My only worry is that shoulder of his. He messed it up real good.
Based on what I've read o Mikhnov I would actually expect him to adjust beter to NA than Niinimaki, but when all your info is based on written reports it's kind of hard to judge.

Mikhnov is listed as a big guy with a big frame, can probably still fill out a bit. With soft hands. I just can't fathom how he isn't listed as EDM's #1 prospect, but of course, not having seen the guy might be a large part of that. But maybe not, maybe the Oilers really don't know what they have or, more likely than that, they do realize what they have but don't want to hype him up too much.

And that's without mentioning the shoulder injury, the effects of which are unknown at this time.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Mikhnov is listed as a big guy with a big frame, can probably still fill out a bit. With soft hands. I just can't fathom how he isn't listed as EDM's #1 prospect, but of course, not having seen the guy might be a large part of that. But maybe not, maybe the Oilers really don't know what they have or, more likely than that, they do realize what they have but don't want to hype him up too much.
I just wish I could see him with my own eyes, even once. I don't like relying on second hand reports, I like making my own observations. Mikhnov frustrates me because other than a handful of still photos I've NEVER seen him play a game at any level. Sometimes I think Duke Nukem Forever will hit the shelves before The Mik sets foot at Edmonton International.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will finally be the year Lowe and Meehan can hammer out a contract. At least he isn't represented by Winter.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:14 AM
barto

I picked Joukov from the favorable reports on him just after the draft, although I haven't heard much about him since then.

It was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment pick, as I found reasons not to choose the others on the list for one reason or another.

Mikhnov is just too much of an unknown, including 'unknown if he'll ever come over to North America'.

MAP is showing some concerns over being injury-prone, or at least having them perhaps restrict his development.

Niinimaaki - some concern over the shoulder injury as well here.

JDD - still a bit of a gamble to say he'll be an impact NHL goalie for the Oilers, which means the Oilers' goalie depth isn't very good at the moment...if JDD doesn't pan out in the next 2-3 years, we'd be in trouble the way it stands now.

The rest? Well, I like the sounds of Greene but was somehow focussed on forwards for this one. Radunske, perhaps, but I did a mental coin-toss and chose Joukov instead.

So Joukov is also a stretch, but I hadn't heard of any injury reports on him (like we've had on MAP and Niinimaaki) so...

Bart

Closed Thread