HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier Race Down to 3 Teams (TOR, PHI, MIN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 11:14 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

vCash: 500
Players from completely different systems are too risky to trade for unless they are top talent.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander23 View Post
You are funny kid. I talk as a leafs fan, if we trade for bernier he will remain a backup, and he will likely posts slightly better stats than scrivens. i see ppl talking about a 1rst+a roster player, sorry but i don't think a backup goalie, who will still remain a backup on my team, is worth that package !!
Bernier has just bad luck to play behind Quick.
He would be a starter goalie on 28 teams of the NHL.

There must be alot of happy crack dealers in your area if you really think
Bernier would sit behind Scrivens.

Maybe you wake up some day from your pipedream and realize that the
hot dog sales man from section 319 would be a starter on your team.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Players from completely different systems are too risky to trade for unless they are top talent.
Bennett has played in Pittsburgh's system a total of one year.... Where's the logic. It's not like you're looking to acquire a soft center from the 02' Sens...

Old
06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
I just cant' understand this love affair with bernier, i don't even consider him as an upgrade compared to scrivens !! the only thing going for him is his previous draft status. Am i missing something here ?
Clearly. Ever watched Bernier actually play? Or are you just going to be a homer and say that your teams guys are simply the best!

Quote:
If he was this vezina caliber, why don't you keep him ? It's laughable when ppl talk about stats, if it was that way, he would be starting instead of Quick
No one said anything about Vezina caliber. He's ready to be a starter and he's not going to steal the job from Quick and it's not because of skill. Quick won us a cup and has a long term deal. He's our #1. Bernier has been ready to be a #1 for a few years now but was stuck behind Quick. Now we move him so he can. Do you understand now?

Old
06-21-2013, 12:03 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Bennett has played in Pittsburgh's system a total of one year.... Where's the logic. It's not like you're looking to acquire a soft center from the 02' Sens...
It's not that. He has a big price tag.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
It's not that. He has a big price tag.
Which is??? His ELC which has two years left on it???? So now what is it?

Old
06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Yeah I think people need to realize that when looking at the caphit for a ELC player they generally include bonuses that player most likely won't get(and if they do get them you should be happy because it means they performed above expectations). Those bonuses can generally be forwarded to next years cap

Old
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Not contract wise, he means a good deal to the Pens because of his salary and his performance. And IN order to acquire him it would have to be a good deal for the pens. Which is why I dont want him and I think his value is inflated imo.

Oh my god, my post 6,666. Woahhh lol. Thats bad ass.

Old
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
You had to know that he meant it would cost too much to get him and that is the "cost too much" part, right?

Old
06-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Crowne Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Sorry, but you don't know all the dynamics. I've spoken with Lombardi myself, and he's shared his thoughts on offer sheets.

It is a legal course of action to sign a player to the organization, but it is also frowned on quite a bit, and it pisses off other GMs. You're not just putting a GM in the tight spot by making them decide on whether or not to keep a player; but you're also driving up the comp prices for other RFAs.

It's not about the almighty Lombardi, but it's NOT an appreciated practice. Other GMs have retaliated in the past by signing a previous team's RFA to an offer sheet. I can't recall what he said word-for-word, but Lombardi pretty much said, "When other GMs sign other players to offer sheets, it makes you want to grab him by the shirt and say, 'What the hell are you doing?'"

Now granted, it's not an appreciated practice, but we also don't know how often GMs try to sign players to offer sheets. We only hear about the ones the players have signed.

Granted, this was all years ago, so maybe the climate has changed, but I don't think you understand the importance of interpersonal relationships between the GMs. Granted, the GMs have to do what's best for their team, but part of that entails having good relationships.
Well said. There's a reason why it's not standard practice and there are real occupational consequences to being a ***** and trying to poach. It's a fraternity, and it's that much harder to do business when trust is breached. Becomes personal.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
DrDangles

As a Pens fan I would be on board for a 1 for 1 swap for Bennett. I can't see Fleury lasting another year and buying him out would ease our cap situation significantly and allow us to keep Tanger. I might be in the minority about Bennett, but scoring goals isn't the problem for us right now. We need consistency between the pipes and holes filled on defense first and foremost.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
S...but you're also driving up the comp prices for other RFAs.
Not in a cap world, you're not. The only thing that drives up comps is a rising cap.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
As a Pens fan I would be on board for a 1 for 1 swap for Bennett. I can't see Fleury lasting another year and buying him out would ease our cap situation significantly and allow us to keep Tanger. I might be in the minority about Bennett, but scoring goals isn't the problem for us right now. We need consistency between the pipes and holes filled on defense first and foremost.
You are

Bennett brings something to our top six that our other wingers don't. He is a great playmaker, and asides from being our only winger prospect, he's also our only winger that can create offense on his own. We need what he brings in the top six, especially his $900,000 caphit, more than anything else. Paying 900k for a top six winger instead of $4m+ gives us the $3.5m to pay for Letang's extension as it is. (Also being that we scored two goals in four games, I'd say that offense might be a bit of a problem)

Of course I'd love to acquire Bernier, but I don't think we are good trading partners since we don't have any forwards to spare (unless they want Kennedy's rights, which is completely unlikely) and we also don't really have any draft picks. And Shero has already declared he's giving Fleury another chance anyways, so it's a moot point.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:36 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

From Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly

While the Flyers remain in the sweepstakes chase for L.A. Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier, the stakes have been raised.

Much higher, it seems.

Sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs have significantly anted up the price to pry Bernier from the Kings and this is yet another reason why the Flyers can’t make a final decision on whether to file a compliance buyout on goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.

The Leafs, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Minnesota Wild and now the New Jersey Devils reportedly are in the bidding, but sources say Toronto might be offering more than others are willing to pay.

“We’re not really talking,” said one Flyers source, which likely means general manager Paul Holmgren can’t match what others are offering Kings GM Dean Lombardi for a guy many feel could have been a No. 1 starter were it not for how well Jonathan Quick has performed.

full article: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...call-bryzgalov

Comcast

For the Panacio isn't reliable crowd.....

He is the beat guy for the Fliers, you should get another one if he isn't any good.

But based on the article does that mean that you guys are not only in on Bernier but able to looking to match the supposed TO offers? I mean, are you saying "there's a chance?"

Last edited by etherialone: 06-21-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old
06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Not in a cap world, you're not. The only thing that drives up comps is a rising cap.
Sorry, but it's not the ONLY thing.

When teams use UFA type of spending to sign an RFA, other RFAs can use that as a comp for their own salary.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
From Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly

While the Flyers remain in the sweepstakes chase for L.A. Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier, the stakes have been raised.

Much higher, it seems.

Sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs have significantly anted up the price to pry Bernier from the Kings and this is yet another reason why the Flyers can’t make a final decision on whether to file a compliance buyout on goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.

The Leafs, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Minnesota Wild and now the New Jersey Devils reportedly are in the bidding, but sources say Toronto might be offering more than others are willing to pay.

“We’re not really talking,” said one Flyers source, which likely means general manager Paul Holmgren can’t match what others are offering Kings GM Dean Lombardi for a guy many feel could have been a No. 1 starter were it not for how well Jonathan Quick has performed.

full article: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...call-bryzgalov

Comcast

For the Panacio isn't reliable crowd.....

He is the beat guy for the Fliers, you should get another one if he isn't any good.

But based on the article does that mean that you guys are not only in on Bernier but able to looking to match the supposed TO offers? I mean, are you saying "there's a chance?"

Here's a working link to the article you posted:
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...call-bryzgalov

I'm wondering if the supposed package that the Leafs may be offering is their 1st round selection and a good young player/prospect. If that is the case, then I'm guessing Lombardi takes that offer. Although I'm not anticipating a trade until the Cup Finals are over and decided. Also, the draft is in 10 days and for the first time since 2005, the draft will be completed in one day.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:21 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's a working link to the article you posted:
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...call-bryzgalov

I'm wondering if the supposed package that the Leafs may be offering is their 1st round selection and a good young player/prospect. If that is the case, then I'm guessing Lombardi takes that offer. Although I'm not anticipating a trade until the Cup Finals are over and decided. Also, the draft is in 10 days and for the first time since 2005, the draft will be completed in one day.
I agree and thanks for the leg up with the link.

That said I think if it were to be the Leafs that the pick would be dependent on the value of the prospect that they are talking about.

If it is JB for the 1st then the prospect won't be a guy like Colburne which was mentioned before. I don't know. While the Leafs make some sense there are other teams that make even more. I remain a little bit skeptical but there sure is an awful lot of smoke regarding the high value for JB and that he will be dealt to one of 4 or 5 teams.

I don't see any real low ball offers getting rumored. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
I see Bernier getting moved on draft day. He's a great goalie, but I hope Toronto doesn't offer too much of the farm to get him here. There's no doubting his talent, but I don't think he'll be able to replicate his performance in LA in Toronto. LA is arguably the toughest team to play against when they're healthy, and generally limits their opponents to just a few scoring opportunities per game. I love the Leafs but....... they're about the opposite of that. Tough to play against, but Reimer is relied on to bail them quite often.

Bernier wouldn't be coming to Toronto to backup or be part of a tandem, at least long term, and I'm sure Reimer has no intention of backing up either.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:00 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I don't know if I believe that report. Tim P has a bad rep as it is, plus Nonis is a stingy guy, he wouldn't trade significant assets for an unknown risk like Bernier. Yeah Bernier has good potential and has looked solid, but giving up a hefty package for a goalie who's only played a small number of games is definitely risky.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Matt Frattin + 2nd rounder (51st overall).

Leafs will then turn around and trade Ben Scrivens to Edmonton for Anaheim's 2nd rounder.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:08 AM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Matt Frattin + 2nd rounder (51st overall).

Leafs will then turn around and trade Ben Scrivens to Edmonton for Anaheim's 2nd rounder.
First one is likely, second trade has no chance. Scriven's value is closer to a 6th. Back up goalies are a dime a dozen. Bernier has starter potential while Scrivens does not.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:22 AM
SprDaVE

I'm not sure why Bernier to Toronto makes any sense, unless Toronto flips Bernier back to the West for whatever.

Interesting though.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Lazea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Bernier has just bad luck to play behind Quick.
He would be a starter goalie on 28 teams of the NHL.

There must be alot of happy crack dealers in your area if you really think
Bernier would sit behind Scrivens.

Maybe you wake up some day from your pipedream and realize that the
hot dog sales man from section 319 would be a starter on your team.
While I agree that Bernier is way better than Scrivens, wouldn't you saying he would be a starter goalie on 28 teams imply that he is the 3rd best goalie in the league?

Anyway, I wouldn't be too upset if the Leafs got him for Frattin and the Leafs 1st. I'm not as high on Reimer as some Leaf fans. I think Bernier would challenge him for the #1 job.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Stats01

Well Bernier and Scrivens will know their fate in a little more then a week IMO. If Bernier gets traded to Toronto, Scrivens is out the door, he signed a 2-year deal last summer where the first year was a 2-way but in the 2nd year it turns into a 1-way so he'll be dealt as well.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazea View Post
While I agree that Bernier is way better than Scrivens, wouldn't you saying he would be a starter goalie on 28 teams imply that he is the 3rd best goalie in the league?

Anyway, I wouldn't be too upset if the Leafs got him for Frattin and the Leafs 1st. I'm not as high on Reimer as some Leaf fans. I think Bernier would challenge him for the #1 job.
If the offer is Frattin and a 1st Kings would of made that deal already. Maybe Kings want Scrivens as well and something will be added to Bernier? My gut tells me Frattin and Bernier are the center pieces is any trade that goes down with TO.

Closed Thread