HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Old
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
If he didn't have such a bad contract, I could see the Flyers giving him one more year. But that deal has real potential to be a franchise crippling contract as time goes on. As bad/shortsighted the Flyers are with the cap, I can't believe they'd ignore the massive risk of keeping him.
Giving him one more year won't really cripple us

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It wouldn't, but if he's hurt at the end of the season, then we can't use the compliance buyout on him and hes here for another 6 years. Not worth the risk, IMO

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I think it would cripple the Philly fans here on HFBoards mentally to go thru another season of Bryzgalov ducking his way to a .900 save percentage.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Yes it will. It will be one more year of 'has Mason beat Bryz out?' distractions. Every goal Bryz lets in there will be chants of 'buy him out - put Mason in.'

They have to decide right now if he's the goalie of the future. Either keep him for the duration of his contract or buy him out now. Period. No third option.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:22 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I meant it in a cap sense since chances our the ogalie we bring in to repalce him will cost just as much.

But I just want him bought out this summer anyways

Old
06-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Curufinwe

Bryz is one of the higher paid goalies in the league, so I think it's likely his replacement would be significantly cheaper.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Mr Sakich

FWIW

very interesting radio interview this morning - Rich Winters on Calgary Fan 960. He has been reassured by Holmgren that buying out Bryz is not being considered. Holmgren said that Bryz was their 3rd best player last year and the issue was with the defence, not with the goaltending. The fact that a Vezina nominated goalie comes to Phily and struggles and another goalie leaves Philly and gets the Vezina is proof that there is a structural issue, not a player issue.

Holmgren admitted that nothing is 100% certain but, in this case, there is absolutely no intention of buying out or trading Bryz.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:52 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No that's what i asked you to do why would i pick, sounds pretty damn dumb

kelmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
FWIW

very interesting radio interview this morning - Rich Winters on Calgary Fan 960. He has been reassured by Holmgren that buying out Bryz is not being considered. Holmgren said that Bryz was their 3rd best player last year and the issue was with the defence, not with the goaltending. The fact that a Vezina nominated goalie comes to Phily and struggles and another goalie leaves Philly and gets the Vezina is proof that there is a structural issue, not a player issue.

Holmgren admitted that nothing is 100% certain but, in this case, there is absolutely no intention of buying out or trading Bryz.
Similar comments were made earlier in the week. The opening post in this thread contains many of the remarks.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Rolex

Quote:
FWIW

And Carter was promised that he wouldn't be moved right before he got his ticket to Columbus. Holmgren promised nothing to Winter and said that yesterday in Philly. Bryz is gone if they can obtain either Bernier or Hiller in a deal or sign Backstrom as a FA.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
FWIW

What a complete garbage statement....

Moreover, Bryz should be the first best player regardless of this BS structural D issue. Bob can carry a team and Bryz can't...that is why Bob won the Vezina!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Obviously Holmgren is dismissing the idea of buying out Bryz because it destroys any leverage he has while shopping for a new goalie.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
No that's what i asked you to do why would i pick, sounds pretty damn dumb
You didn't ask me.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Obviously Holmgren is dismissing the idea of buying out Bryz because it destroys any leverage he has while shopping for a new goalie.
Yeah, nothing raelly that is said during this part of the season (by anyone) should be taken as the gospel truth until it happens. So much posturing happens before the draft/UFA/trade deadlines/etc.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:28 AM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Soooo

Who are we buying out then?

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
What a complete garbage statement....

Moreover, Bryz should be the first best player regardless of this BS structural D issue. Bob can carry a team and Bryz can't...that is why Bob won the Vezina!
not my statement, just repeating what Winters said.

Winters seemed peed off at Pinachio who he claims has been lying and making things up regarding Bryz in the dressing room, his performance, and the possibility of a buyout.

He claims that Holmgren acknowledges structural issues with the Flyers' defence systems and players.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:50 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
I'm probably in the minority but I would keep him, at least for another year. The goalie market isn't that big, like 6 goalies that are somewhat decent are available. I think with him and Mason, they could battle it out for the #1 and neither would be tired. I would get rid of one of our guys on defense like Mezaros or Coburn if need be. Just think it's not a smart move to get rid of Bryz.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:57 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
I'm probably in the minority but I would keep him, at least for another year. The goalie market isn't that big, like 6 goalies that are somewhat decent are available. I think with him and Mason, they could battle it out for the #1 and neither would be tired. I would get rid of one of our guys on defense like Mezaros or Coburn if need be. Just think it's not a smart move to get rid of Bryz.
What happens if he continues to play the same average-below average game he has played for the last two years and then he gets hurt and you cant buy him out. Would you be willing to risk having to keep him for another 6 years? I wouldn't he needs to go now

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
This may have been asked, but can we buy him out at anytime in the next year, or does it have to be within 48 hours of cup ending.

Example if we keep him and he is a train wreck and huge detriment to the team, can he be bought out in say December ?

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:16 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
This may have been asked, but can we buy him out at anytime in the next year, or does it have to be within 48 hours of cup ending.

Example if we keep him and he is a train wreck and huge detriment to the team, can he be bought out in say December ?
Compliance buy-outs occur once the SCF are over until July 1st this year and next year

Old
06-21-2013, 10:16 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I am definitely not a Bryz fan but I'm positive that his gameplay isn't solely his fault. Flyers need Defense period, we sucked this year because 4 of our regular 6 D were playing injured or were out with an injury. I can't understand why Homer doesn't go out and get some help in front of our goalies, the top 6 forwards the Flyers have are or could be 30 goal scorers easily. Mason is a great backup and not at a huge price either.
There is talk of possibly getting Bernier but LA is asking for Voracek(no way) and Bobby Ryan for Coburn and a 11th pick....wtf? Flyers would have to be on glue to accept this.
Bottom line is the Flyers need solid healthy defenseman.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

We will win nothing with Bryz on this team. Not that I'm saying we'll be a cup contender next season, but I can't stand to see this bum wearing a Flyer's jersey anymore.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
BringBackStevens

If Bryz ends up coming back next season, my excitement and anticipation for the season is going to be really diminished.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I meant it in a cap sense since chances our the ogalie we bring in to repalce him will cost just as much.

But I just want him bought out this summer anyways
Not sure about that. Some options could be much cheaper (Bernier, Emery).

I actually like Bryz, but the environment is so toxic, they should have mercy on him and buy him out now, even without a Plan B in place.

There are going to be some keepers without a home, there is no need to panic on Bernier and give up too much.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
FWIW

Fine by me. Give him and Mason another year together. To me its a no brainer. It will give Steve another year to show the brass what he can do and Bryz knows the deal. I cannot see the Flyers giving up forwards for Bernier(who I like). This team still needs at least one more scoring forward.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote