HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Potential players Dallas Eakins and the Oilers are going to steal from Marlies

Old
06-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Taras

vCash: 500
Potential players Dallas Eakins and the Oilers are going to steal from Marlies

Dallas Knows our prospects better than anyone in our system, I have a bad feeling that they are going to try and steal D’Amigo and Ashton for 3rd and 2nd round picks…

D’Amigo is a clutch playoff player, and he steps up in important situations, and Ashton is the hardest worker on the team, and both are going to be good 3rd line players.

What do you guys think?

PS: Happy to see so many responses so quickly, hopefully an interesting topic that hasn’t came up yet

Last edited by Taras: 06-21-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
SprDaVE

I think realistically, Ryan Hamilton is probably the closest they'll be able to get since he's a free agent. Greg Scott would have been another name but he's gone to Sweden all ready.

The prospects he coached with the Marlies are attainable but the Leafs won't just give them away like they are nothing to them with Eakins gone.

D'Amigo and Ashton particularly are really solid prospects and should not, and will not, be traded for little value. The Leafs want to move forward with their rebuild, not backwards.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Dallas Knows our prospects better than anyone in our system, I have a bad feeling that they are going to try and steal D’Amigo and Ashton for 3rd and 2nd round picks…

D’Amigo is a clutch playoff player, and he steps up in important situations, and Ashton is the hardest worker on the team, and both are going to be good 3rd line players.

What do you guys think?
So you think that Eakins knows these guys better than Nonis and will take advantage of our GM and his assistants?

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

i think eakins is a spy for the leafs, he will brainwash all their prospects and nhl level players into wanting to sign with the leafs for no money

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sommervr

Broll and Leivo would be the ones I would steal

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
noBSleafsFAN

I can see Scrivens ending up in Edmonton. I'd be fine with trading D'amigo for a 2nd, but would rather keep Ashton

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafski

I find it useful not to worry about things I have no control over.

It would be upsetting to see this happen, but it would be worse having them leave to play with Eakins once they become UFA.

I'd imagine Hamilton is up there on his list, maybe another vet like zigo for faceoffs... who knows; Eakins used Zigo in almost all situations since he's been here (but things are different in the NHL, and they wouldn't really be significant losses to the org).

To sommervr: Hell no to losing Leivo. Love his potential.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Leafski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:33 AM
dannyboy8920

Hamilton is a for sure. IMO.
Not that it is much of a steal - He will just sign.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Loosie

First off they would have to trade for them. Nonis knows hier value.

Also are D'Amigo and Ashton worth much more than a 2nd or 3rd?

Loosie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Taras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Hamilton is a for sure. IMO.
Not that it is much of a steal - He will just sign.
I really like Hamilton, and think that he would be a great 3rd liner in the NHL at this stage of his development. The kid gives up his body as if he was playing for Torts. (so is D'Amigo)

Old
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
First off they would have to trade for them. Nonis knows hier value.

Also are D'Amigo and Ashton worth much more than a 2nd or 3rd?
On paper they probably aren't.

If one or both are traded though, for whatever reason, it'll be in a package to upgrade a position we need.

Both are NHL ready, or at least very close, after watching them play this year with the Marlies.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:

What do you guys think?
No ones "stealing" anyone.

First of all, Eakins has been filling out progress reports on the Marlie players for as long as he has been coach, so the Leafs know everything about these prospects that he does.

Secondly, why would Eakins "screw over" the team that put him in the position to attain an NHL coaching job and damage his integrity before he has even coached a game?

The real world doesn't operate like Movies and TV Shows. Take a deep breath.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Suntouchable13

What will Mac T and Eakins do? Put a gun to Nonis' head and tell him "give us all of your good prospects for a 7th round pick"?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Taras

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntouchable13 View Post
what will mac t and eakins do? Put a gun to nonis' head and tell him "give us all of your good prospects for a 7th round pick"?
Hell no, they aren't giving up a 7th round pick... for future considerations!

Old
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
sommervr

We are likely going to be doing a deal with the Oilers soon. You just watch Broll get thrown in as an add-on.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:53 AM
The CyNick

I didn't think about it before, but might be a bad idea to trade with edmonton with eakins over there

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

What do you guys think?

PS: Happy to see so many responses so quickly, hopefully an interesting topic that hasn’t came up yet
Sounds like you think Nonis is an idiot.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Taras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Sounds like you think Nonis is an idiot.
Not necessarily, just think Eakins knows the prospects and their potential better.

BTW I think he is a very good coach, and will succeed in NHL.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Not necessarily, just think Eakins knows the prospects and their potential better.

BTW I think he is a very good coach, and will succeed in NHL.
You realize Eakins wasn't on an Island alone with the Prospects? I'm pretty confident there are others in the Organization with an idea of what's in the cupboard.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Ricky Bobby

I'd say the upside of both Ashton and D'Amigo tops at being good 3rd liners but these aren't prospects to get worried about losing.

Neither has consistently scored at the AHL level yet.

D'Amigo will have a hard time ever cracking a Carlyle lineup because he isn't good enough offensively to be a scorer, doesn't bring size/lots of grit/fighting or versatility by being good on the draw. Take a look at LA or Boston which is the type of teams Carlyle would most want to be like and you don't see a role for him. LA bottom is huge and tough. Boston is big, tough and having centers makes a big difference for them.

Ashton is a project who may or may not ever put it together. Someone who doesn't even score at a .5 ppg through his first two seasons in the AHL isn't to much to worry about losing. Gaining a pick would mean we gain a chance to get something better. Because of his size, willingness to fight/agitate he could have a bottom 6 role on a Carlyle team.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to trading either to get extra picks to take a chance on hitting a homerun in the draft.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Diatomic
#FireCarlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
What about Gardiner?

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
So you think that Eakins knows these guys better than Nonis and will take advantage of our GM and his assistants?
Before taking over as Leafs GM, Nonis was the actual Marlies GM from 2010-2012 as well as assistant GM with the Leafs.

Nonis knows his own players very well, and I'm just adding to your point that no one is going to catch Nonis off guard here.

I do see however that Edmonton may be interested in a few of our prospects based on Eakins input, and in turn we might see some minor league deals swapping prospects. We saw this similar effect with Toronto and Anaheim where Nonis came from where minor league swaps Luca Caputi for Nicolas Deschamps or Dale Mitchell for Mark Fraser were Nonis moves as Marlies GM.

06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Old News

I brought this up the day Eakins was signed by the Oilers.

Eakins just makes a deal with the Leafs more easier due to his knowledge of our players.

Gardiner to reunite with Schultz and Eakins for Edmonton's 7th pick overall is the most likely deal.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I brought this up the day Eakins was signed by the Oilers.

Eakins just makes a deal with the Leafs more easier due to his knowledge of our players.

Gardiner to reunite with Schultz and Eakins for Edmonton's 7th pick overall is the most likely deal.
I'd say Sam Gagner for Jake Gardiner is another potential basis for a trade with Leafs getting a young Ontario born center and Edmonton addressing their defense and reuniting Jake and Justin in the process.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote