HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need defensive help?

Old
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

vCash: 500
Need defensive help?

One thing the Coyotes have is an abundance of defensive prospects, and I think this makes one of our current guys back there expendable for offensive help.

If I was Mike Barnett, I'd propose Derek Morris (3.9 mil) for Martin Straka (3.1). Keith Yandle has stepped in and proved he belongs at the NHL level, so when Ballard returns from a hand injury they would have a tough decision to make.

What are your thoughts on this? Morris is tough as nails and would surely help your team at both ends of the rink, and this might give someone like Nigel Dawes more opportunity. I haven't been following your team too closely, so I can't really say.

Thoughts? Yay or Nay, counter-proposals?

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 895
i doubt straka will be moved if were anything close to contention

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:00 PM
WheresBarnaby

We need to go back in time and get Leetch and Beukeboom back.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:09 PM
NYR469

i highly doubt straka would be moved unless the rangers completely fall out of it, but i'd make that deal in a heartbeat. i'd LOVE to get morris...if you want to send us boynton i'd be happy to take him off your hands too.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Fletch

I don't know why...

the Rangers would need to 'be out of it' to trade Straka for a top four defenseman. Unless the 'Yotes need cap space and Morris is signed for the next couple seasons, I'm not sure why the 'Yotes would trade Morris for Straka. Without Jagr, Straka is a third liner - 15 goals - 45 points. I like Straka but if the 'Yotes offered Morris for him straight-up tomorrow, I'd do that everyday. The Rangers would in turn have to move a defenseman, and perhaps get back a decent playe, but that's a good problem to have.

How old is Morris anyways? These years seem to go pretty quickly. Is he still under 30?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:07 PM
dedalus

No way the Yotes do that deal. In any case, the Rangers' issues extend farther than one defenseman can fix.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:32 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Rangers would need to 'be out of it' to trade Straka for a top four defenseman. Unless the 'Yotes need cap space and Morris is signed for the next couple seasons, I'm not sure why the 'Yotes would trade Morris for Straka. Without Jagr, Straka is a third liner - 15 goals - 45 points. I like Straka but if the 'Yotes offered Morris for him straight-up tomorrow, I'd do that everyday. The Rangers would in turn have to move a defenseman, and perhaps get back a decent playe, but that's a good problem to have.

How old is Morris anyways? These years seem to go pretty quickly. Is he still under 30?
the deal would be a total no brainer for the rangers, the reason why i think they would have to be 'out of it' is because they aren't going to trade jagr's buddy 2 weeks into the season. it would be a bad hockey move but unless they are ready to start selling off vets at the deadline they will keep straka to make jagr happy.

and morris is 28

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
IanB

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Straka probably going to end up in Europe next year?

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Fletch

Gotcha...

I was thinking about it as an upgrade to the team overall, not from the 'Jagr' standpoint.

Thanks for the age - thought he was around there, but didn't feel like looking it up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
eco's bones

I like Morris but as far as Straka goes he's said that the Rangers are the only team he wants to play for and Phoenix would probably have to figure that Straka wouldn't be coming back to them next season.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
One thing the Coyotes have is an abundance of defensive prospects, and I think this makes one of our current guys back there expendable for offensive help.

If I was Mike Barnett, I'd propose Derek Morris (3.9 mil) for Martin Straka (3.1). Keith Yandle has stepped in and proved he belongs at the NHL level, so when Ballard returns from a hand injury they would have a tough decision to make.

What are your thoughts on this? Morris is tough as nails and would surely help your team at both ends of the rink, and this might give someone like Nigel Dawes more opportunity. I haven't been following your team too closely, so I can't really say.

Straka will never get dealt because Jagr would veto it, at that, I'm pretty sure Straka signed under the assumption he is playing for the Rangers the entire season. Remember, he was close to retiring (at least from NHL play).

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 10:50 PM
SML

I would do that deal in a heartbeat without question. Straka is one of the most frustrating guys on the team. He always thinks pass and we have too many of those guys. A young top 3 guy like Morris? Done deal, where do I sign?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:14 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Done Deal.

I'll give you Hossa and Rozsival as well for a 2nd rounder or something.

I don't know... just want them both gone.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Derek Morris is an overpaid bum.His cap number is $3,916,700 million and is signed for two more seasons after this season.This is not the Morris who people predicted would win the Norris Trophy when he was a Flame.Those days are long gone.You think the Rangers defensemen are bad.Take a look at Morris.I wouldn't take Morris for free

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:31 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'd pay a pretty penny for Ballard.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If the coyotes have such an abundance of defenseman then why are they dead last with the rangers in defense? I dont want none a dat.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post

I wouldn't mind having Morris. He'd be a top 2 defenseman for us and he has a chance to get better in the next few years.

But I don't think the Yotes would want Straka and I don't think the Rangers are going to trade him. Yotes are kind of rebuilding and Straka is a UFA after this season.

I would deal some decent youth to Phoenix as long as they agreed to take Ozolinsh and his salary. It looks like Ozo might come back this year and his 2.75M will hurt our cap situation. Considering Morris is a little overpaid at 3.9M it's fair to ask Phoenix to take Ozo's salary for a year.

Immonen and Ozo for Morris?

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Pass

10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

What the Rangers need is to take less penalties, and have the refs call it both ways or how about consistent for once.

think about that penalty Jagr took vs Pitt with a minute left, one hand on stick reaching, didnt really effect the play at all, yet he was called...

How about taking a look at this picture, during the Sabres game when Prucha went ballistic and was skating circles around the defense... looks like Spacek got his stick in their pretty good... called? No.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote