Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

TNSE Looking at getting a WHL team

Old
02-19-2013, 08:25 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun.../19529011.html

Winnipeg is very much on the WHL’s radar, but commissioner Ron Robison says nothing is imminent. “Our first position would be that we are committed to our current markets,” Robison said. “Although we face some challenges in certain markets, we want to continue to make sure that our franchises are doing everything they can to remain in their current locations."

True North said Monday it is not interested in a junior franchise.

So the WHL sounds like the NHL ... " We do not move franchises ". If Winnipeg was to ever get a WHL team it will be just like the way we got the Jets back... Relocation, not expansion. And if TNSE is not the owner, then whomever does own the WHL team will most likely be paying rent at the MTS Centre which puts them at a financial disadvantage from the get go.

So if the WHL is not going to relocate a team and TNSE is not interested... it's not happening IMO.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
This begins with the non-compete clause the MTS Centre already has.
there is no non-compete clause. you must mean the clause where after arranging to invest $90+ million dollars into rehabilitating a major portion of downtown TNSE required that the the city not go off and invest in another major arena to directly compete with MTSC...

what kind of idiot would not have that guarantee in place?

Quote:
Perhaps TNSE should concentrate on running their new NHL franchise and its relationship with its AHL affiliate - both which are floundering.
I was unaware that either were about to go bankrupt. are you sure?

Quote:
So consider 300K homes that get the channel at $10 a month (where the Jets retain 70% of the net revenue; so $7 a month)
are you sure that TNSE sees any of that revenue. I dont' think they do, nor do I think they have anything to do with setting the fee at $10 a month. that's collected by Shaw and MTS to pay off Bell, not to forward to TNSE.

as for money grubbing disappointment, while TNSE was bringing the Jets to Winnipeg, some other guy was touring Seattle in a lame attempt to extort extra money from municipal goverments for a new arena. Many of those taxpayers do not care about hockey. Everybody in Winnipeg paying TNSE is choosing to do it, unlike th3 $350 millino plus that all residents of Edmonton are gifting to that guy there.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Unless true north was to build a new smaller arena on that site. It couldnt happen.

From what I understand, they have an agreement with the city saying the can be the only indoor venue.

Someone in hf land must have specific details of that.
Well technically the agreement is that the city will not financially support a competing venue to the MTS Centre. If a new rink was compeltely privately funded it could happen (as was rumoured a few years back for Red River Ex grounds but I think that was pie in the sky on their part).

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Also consider that fans like us here in Edmonton get NHL games for free, while Winnipeggers are paying $10 a month for the TSN Jets (which should be free but they are soaking fans further). So consider 300K homes that get the channel at $10 a month (where the Jets retain 70% of the net revenue; so $7 a month) at 7 months (Oct-Apr) - $49 x 300K homes. That's $14.7M a year in TV revenue for NOTHING ....
What are you even talking about. The Jets get exactly 0 dollars from every TSN Jets subscription. The Jets sold their regional tv rights to Bell and that's where they got their money. Bell decided to create a dedicated TV channel to show the games on called TSN Jets. Bell worked out arrangements to sell said channel to Shaw and MTS. Shaw and MTS charge their viewers to subscribe to that channel while Bell who owns the rights offers it as part of their tv package for free (I beleive).

The Oilers regional rights were sold to Rogers and Rogers decided to show those games ontheir regional Sportsnet channel. To claim the Jets are somehow fleecing fans by "charging" for a TSN Jets channel shows a complete lack of understaning of how it works.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What are you even talking about. The Jets get exactly 0 dollars from every TSN Jets subscription. The Jets sold their regional tv rights to Bell and that's where they got their money. Bell decided to create a dedicated TV channel to show the games on called TSN Jets. Bell worked out arrangements to sell said channel to Shaw and MTS. Shaw and MTS charge their viewers to subscribe to that channel while Bell who owns the rights offers it as part of their tv package for free (I beleive).

The Oilers regional rights were sold to Rogers and Rogers decided to show those games ontheir regional Sportsnet channel. To claim the Jets are somehow fleecing fans by "charging" for a TSN Jets channel shows a complete lack of understaning of how it works.
This post should be stickied along with "Jacob Trouba is not eligible for the NCAA loophole". It's amazing how this misconception still lives on that TNSE is the one charging people for TSN Jets.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:17 AM
RiverCitySlim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun.../19529011.html

True North said Monday it is not interested in a junior franchise.

I have to say I am very disappointed to hear this. It would be really nice to get the kids out to some games and Jets tickets are to hard to come by. We were at a tournament in Brandon a couple of weeks ago and the kids had a blast at the Wheat Kings Game. I love the Jets but I really think the WHL offers a better family experience.

RiverCitySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Boreal

Just because a company says publicly that they have no interest in something does not legitimately mean that they have no interest in something. It is just the default response. At times it is the truth, but certainly not always.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Just because a company says publicly that they have no interest in something does not legitimately mean that they have no interest in something. It is just the default response. At times it is the truth, but certainly not always.
Hmm TN Denying they are buying a hockey team... Where have I heard this before?? lol

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
NorthStar

Is it possible TSNE does not want to comment on this further as they are doing it the same way they did when they were waiting patiently to bring back the NHL to Winnipeg for a few years? If that is the case we should wait and see what happens.. I am sure TSNE want to explore everything and see if it is doable or not? That's my honest opinion on this.. .I hope it happens but would understand why if it is not in their interests...

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
They lost to UND 5-3 and tied Bemidji State 3-3 this year. You have to remember they can compete with those teams mainly cause the players are much older. Bison players are 21-26 and NCAA is usually 18-24, so they would hardly get smoked.

Also, SFU does not play in Div 1 they play in a Div 2 or 3 Conference, so its tough to compare to them.
Only a couple of the Bison's players would be eligible to play NCAA.

If they went full NCAA it would be at least a decade before they were able to put a competitive team on the ice. I'm not even certain time would be enough to make it happen.

Even if, and it's a huge if, the U of M was willing to offer full athletic scholarships for the hockey program I think most players would opt for the US as, by and large, the quality of education and facilities are much higher.

Last edited by almostawake: 02-25-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: derp
almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Hearing 2014-2015 the MTS Centre will be home to a WHL franchise ...

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:46 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Hearing 2014-2015 the MTS Centre will be home to a WHL franchise ...
Interesting it seems to be a good revenue generator for the Alberta NHL teams. I doubt I'll buy many tickets but it should be good for students and young families.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Interesting it seems to be a good revenue generator for the Alberta NHL teams. I doubt I'll buy many tickets but it should be good for students and young families.
I'm with you. It's hard enough to try to get to all of the Jets games. I'm sure I'd be in for all the playoff games, if I could get them.

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
If true, I will probably buy some tickets and take my grandsons. The paucity of tickets for the Jets makes it hard to create a new generation of fans. This should nicely fill a gap.

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

whl in winnipeg

After living in Vancouver for awhile and attending numerous Giants and Canucks games, I can honestly say two distinct fan bases attend these games.

Canucks fans attract single guys, or guys with their girlfriends or a buddy or two. Corporate clients are big in the lower bowls. Family participation is pretty limited due to the crazy high cost. At most you get a Dad and a son but those pairs usually go once a year or every other year. It's just way too much money.

Giants fans have families, entire amateur hockey teams and seniors attend their games, its a much more diverse crowd because a ticket is 20 bucks. Throw in the fact you don't have to fight traffic or pay for exorbitant parking prices and generally its probably a better experience.

Another thing I learned is that alot of people, probably at least half of each fan base or more, either attend Giants games or Canucks games but not both. The NHL fans, especially season ticket holders, often have a high and mighty attitude toward the junior team and how its 'inferior'. It also does not help because the Canucks have a reputation of snobbing the WHL in favor of more Swedes.

As for the WHL itself, if I had magical hockey powers for a day I would split the league in two, make a prairie league and a BC/Washington/Oregon league and reduce the horrific travel challenges the WHL faces. Each league could have 12 teams and we could lose this 'Host team' in the Memorial Cup format that I have always found fairly lame. Some interleague play once or twice a year would be good too. If the kids can sit on buses for hours and hours, what is a two hour flight to Toronto or Montreal?

Believe it or not, There are Giants fans and Royals fans who think seeing the teams from Prince Albert and Moose Jaw are 'exotic' and interesting hockey locales. It would be pretty wild to see the London Knights or Halifax Mooseheads cruise into town once in awhile.

It would be easier on WHL families whose young sons drafted from Manitoba could stay a alot closer to home. One more thing, season tickets in Victoria are 425 dollars.

In regards to the MTS center, I would build a new 17, 000 seat arena for the jets and cut the top off the MTS center, make it a 9000 seat place for junior hockey. Maybe steal the hockey canada headquarters from Calgary and house them there too. Again, if I had magical hockey God like powers.

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Bob E

Expansion or relocation? Rumors were Prince George or Kooteney were the two likely candidates for relocation.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

When I lived in Calgary I went to some Hitmen games and enjoyed it.

As VictoriaJetsFan said, you'll see a lot more families and young kids at the games.

Its a money maker for the Flames.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:26 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
After living in Vancouver for awhile and attending numerous Giants and Canucks games, I can honestly say two distinct fan bases attend these games.

Canucks fans attract single guys, or guys with their girlfriends or a buddy or two. Corporate clients are big in the lower bowls. Family participation is pretty limited due to the crazy high cost. At most you get a Dad and a son but those pairs usually go once a year or every other year. It's just way too much money.

Giants fans have families, entire amateur hockey teams and seniors attend their games, its a much more diverse crowd because a ticket is 20 bucks. Throw in the fact you don't have to fight traffic or pay for exorbitant parking prices and generally its probably a better experience.

Another thing I learned is that alot of people, probably at least half of each fan base or more, either attend Giants games or Canucks games but not both. The NHL fans, especially season ticket holders, often have a high and mighty attitude toward the junior team and how its 'inferior'. It also does not help because the Canucks have a reputation of snobbing the WHL in favor of more Swedes.

As for the WHL itself, if I had magical hockey powers for a day I would split the league in two, make a prairie league and a BC/Washington/Oregon league and reduce the horrific travel challenges the WHL faces. Each league could have 12 teams and we could lose this 'Host team' in the Memorial Cup format that I have always found fairly lame. Some interleague play once or twice a year would be good too. If the kids can sit on buses for hours and hours, what is a two hour flight to Toronto or Montreal?

Believe it or not, There are Giants fans and Royals fans who think seeing the teams from Prince Albert and Moose Jaw are 'exotic' and interesting hockey locales. It would be pretty wild to see the London Knights or Halifax Mooseheads cruise into town once in awhile.

It would be easier on WHL families whose young sons drafted from Manitoba could stay a alot closer to home. One more thing, season tickets in Victoria are 425 dollars.

In regards to the MTS center, I would build a new 17, 000 seat arena for the jets and cut the top off the MTS center, make it a 9000 seat place for junior hockey. Maybe steal the hockey canada headquarters from Calgary and house them there too. Again, if I had magical hockey God like powers.
Good post and spot on

The one thing though is when (if) the WHL happens they will definatley play the games out of the MTS centre. TNSE have lots of experience managing it down to an 8000 seat venue with curtains for the upper level. They did that for Moose regular season games. It would bring another 40 plus events to the SHED area and keep the energy pumping.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
It would bring another 40 plus events to the SHED area and keep the energy pumping.
Love it.

I also like the idea more families would be able to attend, and possibly allow Winnipeg kids the opportunity to play in 'the dub', at home.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Wolf357

Calgary Saddledome is up to the 14th row under water/ Dressing rooms destroyed
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...685/story.html

Other forums are stating that the Flames/Hitman might not be able to play in Calgary this year....Hitmen to Winnipeg for this season?

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:01 PM
pegcity

Doesn't calgary have two arenas anyway

*Never mind

Last edited by pegcity: 06-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
pegcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Good post and spot on

The one thing though is when (if) the WHL happens they will definatley play the games out of the MTS centre. TNSE have lots of experience managing it down to an 8000 seat venue with curtains for the upper level. They did that for Moose regular season games. It would bring another 40 plus events to the SHED area and keep the energy pumping.
Good point about managing the venue down, I just have a preference for smaller, packed and louder. I think 9000 with a low roof and all that noise bouncing around would be cool...small thing tho..

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:04 AM
blueandgoldguy

having gone to my fair share of moose games back in the day, it sounds like this would appeal to a similar crowd. Lots of families, kids' hockey teams with a decent mix of younger and older folks mixed in for good measure. While the level of play may not be up to the standards of the NHL, it should still be terrific entertainment and excellent value! Can't beat $20 for world class junior hockey!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:46 AM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
having gone to my fair share of moose games back in the day, it sounds like this would appeal to a similar crowd. Lots of families, kids' hockey teams with a decent mix of younger and older folks mixed in for good measure. While the level of play may not be up to the standards of the NHL, it should still be terrific entertainment and excellent value! Can't beat $20 for world class junior hockey!
Yes I am guessing that is exactly what the crowd would look like......away more like the Moose. It's funny, despite my singular view of how great it is to have an NHL team again there are those that still preferred the Moose because it was a family event or much much more affordable.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:50 AM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
Good point about managing the venue down, I just have a preference for smaller, packed and louder. I think 9000 with a low roof and all that noise bouncing around would be cool...small thing tho..
100% agree that a smaller venue would be perfect but the economies of that would be really tough for TNSE, also the hospitality operators I know in the SHED would kill for the additional dates.