HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New TSN power rankings

Old
10-16-2006, 03:03 PM
5 man unit

vCash: 500
New TSN power rankings

Here we go again

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=548

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
BORAT

Bhahahahahahaha !!!!! is this serious ???

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I do not understand your problem.
The Habs moved up.

If you are pissed about the Leafs they are on pace for 109+ points and have come up big against some quality opponents, I know the Habs are on pace for over 120 but it is still early in the season. Scored 5 goals against both the Flames and Devils (not an easy task) Also beat up on the Senators in Ottawa. In my opinion the Leafs have looked pretty damn good so far this season.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Natural Habs Fan

That seems pretty fair to me. We're unbeaten in regulation but we blew the game against Buffalo and have had to go to the shootout three times already. Some of the teams ahead of us have been better. The only team I think is out of place is Toronto but that's debatable.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:21 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
That seems pretty fair to me. We're unbeaten in regulation but we blew the game against Buffalo and have had to go to the shootout three times already. Some of the teams ahead of us have been better. The only team I think is out of place is Toronto but that's debatable.
My problem is that once again they are overating the leafs. Were they really that good? They started the season 4 spots below the Habs, lost to them, (albeit in a shootout), the Habs still haven't lost in regulation, and now they are 3 spots ahead of them. Not only that, but the Habs have played only 1 home game.

How does that make any sense?

Old
10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
The Habs moved up.

If you are pissed about the Leafs they are on pace for 109+ points and have come up big against some quality opponents, I know the Habs are on pace for over 120 but it is still early in the season. Scored 5 goals against both the Flames and Devils (not an easy task) Also beat up on the Senators in Ottawa. In my opinion the Leafs have looked pretty damn good so far this season.
QFT.

They scored 6 against the Devils and 5 against an extremely steady Calgary defense. Both teams have all-star calibre goaltenders.

They also destroyed Ottawa and took the surging Panthers in a shootout.

They are averaging 40 shots on opposition goaltenders a game.

The ranking is fair.. as of now, Toronto has been more convincing than the Habs have been, outplaying them in the only match of the year thus far but lost in a shootout.

Just my opinion.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
those ranking look fair IMHO

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:34 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
those ranking look fair IMHO
Mine too.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Strazzobosco

Toronto scored a lot more goals than us, and have more +'s in the +/- column...(Begin is at -4 !!!! Worst on the team; for a defensive trio, that's not very defensive!)

Otherwise, I like the fact that DC and Pittsburgh weren't automatically delegated to the basement..

Strazzobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Phousse

Those rankings look right, even the Leafs. They've been pretty good this year.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
!nkubus

This is quite faire to me to, The sens are 20th and the Hurricanes are 27th exactly like I predicted. The habs are 12 wich is really faire IMHO

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:45 PM
pavlako11

Eh, what you gonna do.

I mean the Leafs blew the lead vs. NJ and managed to get a point.
Blew the lead vs. Calgary and got an OT win.
Couldn't hold the lead vs Montreal and got a point.

I mean ok they scored 6/5 to NJ/CGY but they also allowed 7/4 to them as well and they were amongst the league's worst offences last year.

I guess that merits moving up 10 spots?

And to answer anyone that will respond to my post, YES it matters where the Leafs are because if you're a crazy diehard you will ALWAYS compare the Canadiens to the Leafs and so will Leafs fans.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
habfan4

This list (like all other ranking lists) are subjective and at the end of the day Mr. Cullen is trying to stimulate debate and of course get more hits for TSN.

What matters is the clubs' results, if you would have told me that the Habs would have 6 pts after their first four games, I would have been thrilled.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
My problem is that once again they are overating the leafs. Were they really that good?
Yes, they deserve it.

I don't know what all this overeaction is about. Those are just power rankings, plus he did put the Habs in playoff contention both weeks and it still wasn't enough.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Le depisteur

TSN has no love for the CH...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Marksman

I like these rankings, seems a pretty accurate description to me, although I would have Sabres even higher, maybe even 3rd.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
JJ

Yep, looks fair to me as well. True, we haven't lost in regulation time yet, but, we haven't whooped anyone's butt either. Our beloved habs are still a team that scores the vast majority of it's goals on the fly. We still can't apply strong forechecking in the offensive zone, and we get expelled from it as fast, if not faster, than we entered it. We're still having major problems with playing a good game for 60/65 minutes. Our team still has no killer instinct, which is what separates contenders from pretenders. I expect we'll be, again, fighting for a playoffs spot at the end of the season.

JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
TSN has no love for the CH...
well we are ranked just about right.... what's the problem?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Yes, they deserve it.

I don't know what all this overeaction is about. Those are just power rankings, plus he did put the Habs in playoff contention both weeks and it still wasn't enough.
I started the thread, and I don't think I overreacted at all
I gave my opinion, which is obviously in the minority. I simply thought the change in rankings were MUCH too big for one week, and that they were once again overeacting to 1 good week by the leafs.

I still think I'm right and they (and most of you) are wrong. But it's just an opinion.

Last edited by 5 man unit: 10-16-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old
10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
The Habs moved up.

Good post. I think the Leafs are suprising a lot of people. They are actually a fun team to watch, unlike previous incarnations under Quinn. They are fast, skilled and have scored a lot of goals so far. Since these are on a week by week basis, there's no reason to think it's unfair that they're ranked ahead of us.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
I started the thread, and I don't think I overreacted at all
I gave my opinion, which is obviously in the minority. I simply thought the change in rankings were MUCH too big for one week, and that they were once again overeacting to 1 good week by the leafs.

I still think I'm right and they (and most of you) are wrong. But it's just an opinion.
Of course they have changed a lot, you missed something. The first rankings were just based on their expectations drawn on preseason games ... this is the first update they made, after some real games were played.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:56 PM
wedge

the only problem I see is Buffalo ranked5th with a 5-0 record and Detroit ranked 4th with a 2-1-1 record.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Good post. I think the Leafs are suprising a lot of people. They are actually a fun team to watch, unlike previous incarnations under Quinn. They are fast, skilled and have scored a lot of goals so far. Since these are on a week by week basis, there's no reason to think it's unfair that they're ranked ahead of us.
I would say the opposite. I always found the Pat Quinn version of the Leafs entertaining to watch. It was almost always a wide open game with a lot of scoring chances at both ends of the rink. This Maurice version of the Leafs while more fundamentally sound defensively don't play with the same wrecklessness as Quinn's version did. I think it leads to less exciting games but likely better results in the long run assuming Raycroft holds up.

As for the power rankings it's hard to make a case against the Leafs so far, because they have exceeded expectations and have a good record, but I wonder if the new coach boost can last all season.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
GSK*

This is fair.. Habs are 12 on TSN list... 10 to 12 is allright to me right now...

But I would move up Buffalo in the top-3.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Montrealer

OMG TEH HABS ARENT #1!!!!!1111111111111 TEH TSN SUX

Ahem.

I think they're fair ratings. We've gone to shootouts 3 out of 4 games, so it's not like we're dominating everyone we're playing. 12th out of 30 looks good.

Hopefully we'll move up over the season.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote