HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so it will be like last year? the D will carry the team through the 1st half of the year, get broken down and worn out, and then the team craters?
I'm hoping it will be more like 2011. Pretty much everything that could go wrong last year did. I mean, we did lose three games to Calgary alone on last-second field goals/field goal misses. But yeah, the makeup of the team isn't significantly different from last year. A lot of people have assumed Reilly will be a huge upgrade at the QB position, but that remains to be seen. He's no more proven than Steven Jyles was.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm hoping it will be more like 2011. Pretty much everything that could go wrong last year did. I mean, we did lose three games to Calgary alone on last-second field goals/field goal misses. But yeah, the makeup of the team isn't significantly different from last year. A lot of people have assumed Reilly will be a huge upgrade at the QB position, but that remains to be seen. He's no more proven than Steven Jyles was.
Jyles had proven that he sucked. Reilly hasnt proven anything, but has looked promising.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
pizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Over or under, Joe.

Even if some think the team will be poor, there are still lots of story lines....

- Watching what should be a terrific front seven. I think they'll have opposing QBs terrorized. I love smash-mouth football, and this front seven will entertain us.
- Will our O-line be respectable or will our QBs get turf pounded?
- Will our receivers be as good as I expect, or will they be ineffective if our QBs can't get the ball off?
- Will we develop a kick-return game?
- What about the improvements in our coaching staff?
- What about the young QBs like Crompton, who I think looks really good and reminds me of a young Ricky Ray, but more mobile?

I could list many story lines...lots of reasons to pay attention. How many have lost interest in the Oilers and they've been more pathetic than the Esks have been?
The main difference for me this year vs last year is that this year I care. There was nothing to be optimistic about last year with the J and J show and recovery time from the worst trade in Eskimo history by the egomanic Tillman.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's just pre-season but Winnipeg wasn't able to score a single point over two pre-season games.

Hamilton 52
Winnipeg 0

Good... god.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's just pre-season but Winnipeg wasn't able to score a single point over two pre-season games.

Hamilton 52
Winnipeg 0

Good... god.
It's pre-season.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Articles like this is why I have trouble taking the Eskimos, or Kavis Reed seriously these days.

It reads like a troll piece designed to frustrate. Thanks Norm Cowley, must be a slow news day.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...d-14b63d4bfe94

This quote is beyond comprehension:

Quote:
"Those guys have done well in terms of making certain we don't have to change our offensive play-calling when they're in the game," he added.
Both Lampley, who totalled more than 1,000 yards in both kick-returns and as a receiver during his college career at the University of Southern Mississippi, and White, the only U of Utah running back to gain 1,000 rushing yards in back-to-back seasons, got a chance to play in the Eskimos' first exhibition game last week against the Saskatchewan Roughriders but only had three carries each (Lampley for two yards, White for no yards).
Edmonton ran 15 times for 66 yards in that game, however all but five of those yards were by the quarterbacks.
Anybody that watched the game would know that Lampley and Lewis were completely useless waterbugs getting squished into the turf anytime they touched the ball. They got a combined 5yds rushing in the game. We had NO RUSHING ATTACK in the game save for some desperate scampers from chased QB's. WE passed almost exclusively in the game after apparently realizing that we had no running game in sight. What on Earth is Reed saying or thinking here? I wish somebody could explain it me because it hurts to read it that Reed thinks this is going to go well as a balanced attack. Idiot.

We have 3 scamper RB's, all around 180lbs, 5ft8, not a powerback in sight, and not one guy that will be able to bounce off tackles or run through blocks very successfully. We got Charles and not much else in the backfield. We got rid of Messam and Boyd last year "who we didn't need" and we're left with this collection of pint sized midget RB's. For a "honed balanced attack"

This is funny too. Hugh Charles on being an Esks RB:

Quote:
"Being a running back isn't just running the ball," said Charles, a six-year CFL veteran who didn't dress for the first game. "It's also catching and being able to block. Pass protection is crucial in this league. We only have three downs and we have to be able to protect our quarterback, so the coaches are looking for an all-around running back.
"Even if you're running the ball, you may only get one or two yards, or you may only get five carries and maybe two yards. They're not looking for the yardage.
This is like a Horcoff quote. "its not just about points and scoring, its about working hard, playing your man, playing hard, did I say that? and you know, having the right attitude"

WEll that settles it then, no wonder Reed was completely satisfied with the 5yd total "running game" from his RB's last week. That impressed him...

Jebus Charles your primary job is making yds if you don't do it I don't know where its coming from.

Holy ****. Wake me when the carnage is over.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It's pre-season.
Still laughable.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Articles like this is why I have trouble taking the Eskimos, or Kavis Reed seriously these days.

It reads like a troll piece designed to frustrate. Thanks Norm Cowley, must be a slow news day.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...d-14b63d4bfe94

This quote is beyond comprehension:

Anybody that watched the game would know that Lampley and Lewis were completely useless waterbugs getting squished into the turf anytime they touched the ball. They got a combined 5yds rushing in the game. We had NO RUSHING ATTACK in the game save for some desperate scampers from chased QB's. WE passed almost exclusively in the game after apparently realizing that we had no running game in sight. What on Earth is Reed saying or thinking here? I wish somebody could explain it me because it hurts to read it that Reed thinks this is going to go well as a balanced attack. Idiot.

We have 3 scamper RB's, all around 180lbs, 5ft8, not a powerback in sight, and not one guy that will be able to bounce off tackles or run through blocks very successfully. We got Charles and not much else in the backfield. We got rid of Messam and Boyd last year "who we didn't need" and we're left with this collection of pint sized midget RB's. For a "honed balanced attack"

This is funny too. Hugh Charles on being an Esks RB:

This is like a Horcoff quote. "its not just about points and scoring, its about working hard, playing your man, playing hard, did I say that? and you know, having the right attitude"

WEll that settles it then, no wonder Reed was completely satisfied with the 5yd total "running game" from his RB's last week. That impressed him...

Jebus Charles your primary job is making yds if you don't do it I don't know where its coming from.

Holy ****. Wake me when the carnage is over.
I'm not saying I fully disagree with you, however the exhagurated doomsday 'sky is falling' rant you just went on seems a bit much this early in the season. Charles is the least of our worries this year, I think he's going to be great. I would hardly base anything in pre season, football is much different then hockey as far as readiness and prep goes. These guys are so green right now and it's too be expected.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I'm not saying I fully disagree with you, however the exhagurated doomsday 'sky is falling' rant you just went on seems a bit much this early in the season. Charles is the least of our worries this year, I think he's going to be great. I would hardly base anything in pre season, football is much different then hockey as far as readiness and prep goes. These guys are so green right now and it's too be expected.
This offense has huges holes before the season has even started. We have QB's that haven't played a lick of pro football, we have one bonafide starting RB, Recievers that didn't produce much last year outside of Stamps, a line thats still leaking, and no reap upgrades.
Should I add that we've lost Bowman(who may not be ready for a longtime), we don't have Messam, Boyd, or any powerback, and we gave up on Carr who is better than most of our receivers and slammed it in our face just last week.

Oh wait, and a headcoach that micromanages things he knows nothing about and doesn't have a clue about offense but will meddle anyway and think Joseph, Carter, and Lampley are stars.

The whole trouble is I've seen this exact same circus before, we all have, the offense hasn't been upgraded one iota.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Kyle McMahon

The concerning thing that I get out of that piece is that Reed just doesn't think a running game is important. He didn't last year, so I don't know why I would expect anything to change.

I understand that we didn't run at all in the first preseason game because we want to get a look at all the QBs. Or at least that's what I assumed. Maybe that was actually what they plan on doing. What a scary thought.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

I'm calling for a lot of 2QB sets, and then bringing Kerwin Bell out of retirement after they all get season ending injuries.

Honestly, this team can't disappoint me anymore. I've seen every home game 4th quarter collapse and blowout loss for the last six seasons. Screaming rage has been replaced by maniacal Sideshow Bob laughter. I am mad as a hatter.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It's pre-season.
That does not lessen a 52-0 score because Hamilton is in pre season as well. Also scoring ZERO points in two games is just gruesome no matter what.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:08 PM
GrinningBuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That does not lessen a 52-0 score because Hamilton is in pre season as well. Also scoring ZERO points in two games is just gruesome no matter what.
6 points. Zero touchdowns. Point remains unchanged.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
abootzky

Quote:
This offense has huges holes before the season has even started. We have QB's that haven't played a lick of pro football, we have one bonafide starting RB, Recievers that didn't produce much last year outside of Stamps, a line thats still leaking, and no reap upgrades.
Should I add that we've lost Bowman(who may not be ready for a longtime), we don't have Messam, Boyd, or any powerback, and we gave up on Carr who is better than most of our receivers and slammed it in our face just last week.

Oh wait, and a headcoach that micromanages things he knows nothing about and doesn't have a clue about offense but will meddle anyway and think Joseph, Carter, and Lampley are stars.

The whole trouble is I've seen this exact same circus before, we all have, the offense hasn't been upgraded one iota.
Thanks for enlightening me Replacement. I better cancel my season tickets and burn my jersey asap.

Then again maybe I'll wait to see how the team actually looks on the field once the regular season gets going.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Thanks for enlightening me Replacement. I better cancel my season tickets and burn my jersey asap.

Then again maybe I'll wait to see how the team actually looks on the field once the regular season gets going.
you can hope.
but to be realistic, replacement is closer to the truth than most.
especially if the team doesn't seem to think getting yards with the running game matters.

it can be like the ricky ray years. no running game so the defenses could sit back and play against the pass.
when you factor in an average to below average receiving core, and the esks don't yet know what they have for a QB, it might get ugly.

Last edited by Gord: 06-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
#ualberta

So more starters should be playing today right
Like stamps and Charles and sherritt

I know pessimism is some what high right now and it's probably justified but I'll be watching anyway

Old
06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you can hope.
but to be realistic, replacement is closer to the truth than most.
especially if the team doesn't seem to think getting yards with the running game matters.

it can be like the ricky ray years. no running game so the defenses could sit back and play against the pass.
when you factor in an average to below average receiving core, and the esks don't yet know what they have for a QB, it might get ugly.
When you just do doom and gloom every freaking season, it's not hard to be closer to the truth when you just beat the same drum over and over and over.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Beerfish

Teams earn their doom and gloom or their optimism status. Both the Oilers and the Eskimos have 100% earned the doom and gloom status and until they truly start showing they are doing things right fan confidence is low as it should be.

Being happy and confident for no good reason is just as bad as being a downer for no good reason. Both teams have offered up much more ammo for the sour pusses like myself than the optimists.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post

I've demonstrated exactly why I think what I stated and in detail. Do you argue the points?

We have less promising personnel on offense then we had going into last season. Again to recap, No Bowman, no Messam, no Boyd(0btained later but anyway) and No Carr (who is a good receiver and was underrated here) Do you seriously think we have better personnel on offense now? As a couple of people have mentioned we have no guarantee of what we will look like at QB either.

I have huge concerns with this offense, the schemes, and the micromanaging coach running things.

They say the definition of crazy is ****ing up and then doing the same thing all over again repeatedly and expect a different result. Kind of the way I look at the esks these days.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
When you just do doom and gloom every freaking season, it's not hard to be closer to the truth when you just beat the same drum over and over and over.
Wrong.

I was one of the most optimistic posters in the Esks thread last season on this board. Feel free to look it up. Its all there. But that optimism is tapped out. This looks like more of the same this year.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:30 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
So more starters should be playing today right
Like stamps and Charles and sherritt

I know pessimism is some what high right now and it's probably justified but I'll be watching anyway
I can't remember who was on the radio, but they were resting Stamps because of the weather. Saying with the temperature change and moisture that they don't want to risk injury to key players.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Wrong.

I was one of the most optimistic posters in the Esks thread last season on this board. Feel free to look it up. Its all there. But that optimism is tapped out. This looks like more of the same this year.
yeah, i can back replacement up on this... he was very cheerful last year about the esks prospects... i remember this because i was very doom/gloom about the team last year... we seem to have switched places this year, as i am actually hopeful about this season

Old
06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, i can back replacement up on this... he was very cheerful last year about the esks prospects... i remember this because i was very doom/gloom about the team last year... we seem to have switched places this year, as i am actually hopeful about this season
heh, thanks, and hopefully I'm wrong both times. But I'll be there in the stands, reality is I'll go and hope for the best. As season approaches and hockey is going gonzo I'm more into it. I think with SC playoffs lasting so long its one of he reasons I've not cared as much this year about the start of football season. But I feel it.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Yeah but his optimism was so delusional it was funny. Steven Jyles the saviour! Thank god we got rid of that utter bum Ricky Ray!

Old
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
GatoradeG*

I miss Ricky. Was my favourite player even though he got bashed constantly. I suppose I could use that in both football and fan perspective terms. Signs are pointing negatively so far for a positive season. I won't be watching any games but I hope they do better than I expect them to.

Closed Thread