HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
  #176
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so it will be like last year? the D will carry the team through the 1st half of the year, get broken down and worn out, and then the team craters?
I'm hoping it will be more like 2011. Pretty much everything that could go wrong last year did. I mean, we did lose three games to Calgary alone on last-second field goals/field goal misses. But yeah, the makeup of the team isn't significantly different from last year. A lot of people have assumed Reilly will be a huge upgrade at the QB position, but that remains to be seen. He's no more proven than Steven Jyles was.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
  #177
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm hoping it will be more like 2011. Pretty much everything that could go wrong last year did. I mean, we did lose three games to Calgary alone on last-second field goals/field goal misses. But yeah, the makeup of the team isn't significantly different from last year. A lot of people have assumed Reilly will be a huge upgrade at the QB position, but that remains to be seen. He's no more proven than Steven Jyles was.
Jyles had proven that he sucked. Reilly hasnt proven anything, but has looked promising.

nabob is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
  #178
pizmo
Registered User
 
pizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Over or under, Joe.



Even if some think the team will be poor, there are still lots of story lines....

- Watching what should be a terrific front seven. I think they'll have opposing QBs terrorized. I love smash-mouth football, and this front seven will entertain us.
- Will our O-line be respectable or will our QBs get turf pounded?
- Will our receivers be as good as I expect, or will they be ineffective if our QBs can't get the ball off?
- Will we develop a kick-return game?
- What about the improvements in our coaching staff?
- What about the young QBs like Crompton, who I think looks really good and reminds me of a young Ricky Ray, but more mobile?

I could list many story lines...lots of reasons to pay attention. How many have lost interest in the Oilers and they've been more pathetic than the Esks have been?
The main difference for me this year vs last year is that this year I care. There was nothing to be optimistic about last year with the J and J show and recovery time from the worst trade in Eskimo history by the egomanic Tillman.

pizmo is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
  #179
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
It's just pre-season but Winnipeg wasn't able to score a single point over two pre-season games.

Hamilton 52
Winnipeg 0

Good... god.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
  #180
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's just pre-season but Winnipeg wasn't able to score a single point over two pre-season games.

Hamilton 52
Winnipeg 0

Good... god.
It's pre-season.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  #181
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,288
vCash: 500
Articles like this is why I have trouble taking the Eskimos, or Kavis Reed seriously these days.

It reads like a troll piece designed to frustrate. Thanks Norm Cowley, must be a slow news day.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...d-14b63d4bfe94

This quote is beyond comprehension:

Quote:
"Those guys have done well in terms of making certain we don't have to change our offensive play-calling when they're in the game," he added.
Both Lampley, who totalled more than 1,000 yards in both kick-returns and as a receiver during his college career at the University of Southern Mississippi, and White, the only U of Utah running back to gain 1,000 rushing yards in back-to-back seasons, got a chance to play in the Eskimos' first exhibition game last week against the Saskatchewan Roughriders but only had three carries each (Lampley for two yards, White for no yards).
Edmonton ran 15 times for 66 yards in that game, however all but five of those yards were by the quarterbacks.
Anybody that watched the game would know that Lampley and Lewis were completely useless waterbugs getting squished into the turf anytime they touched the ball. They got a combined 5yds rushing in the game. We had NO RUSHING ATTACK in the game save for some desperate scampers from chased QB's. WE passed almost exclusively in the game after apparently realizing that we had no running game in sight. What on Earth is Reed saying or thinking here? I wish somebody could explain it me because it hurts to read it that Reed thinks this is going to go well as a balanced attack. Idiot.

We have 3 scamper RB's, all around 180lbs, 5ft8, not a powerback in sight, and not one guy that will be able to bounce off tackles or run through blocks very successfully. We got Charles and not much else in the backfield. We got rid of Messam and Boyd last year "who we didn't need" and we're left with this collection of pint sized midget RB's. For a "honed balanced attack"

This is funny too. Hugh Charles on being an Esks RB:

Quote:
"Being a running back isn't just running the ball," said Charles, a six-year CFL veteran who didn't dress for the first game. "It's also catching and being able to block. Pass protection is crucial in this league. We only have three downs and we have to be able to protect our quarterback, so the coaches are looking for an all-around running back.
"Even if you're running the ball, you may only get one or two yards, or you may only get five carries and maybe two yards. They're not looking for the yardage.
This is like a Horcoff quote. "its not just about points and scoring, its about working hard, playing your man, playing hard, did I say that? and you know, having the right attitude"

WEll that settles it then, no wonder Reed was completely satisfied with the 5yd total "running game" from his RB's last week. That impressed him...

Jebus Charles your primary job is making yds if you don't do it I don't know where its coming from.

Holy ****. Wake me when the carnage is over.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
  #182
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It's pre-season.
Still laughable.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
  #183
PETRYDISH
Registered User
 
PETRYDISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Articles like this is why I have trouble taking the Eskimos, or Kavis Reed seriously these days.

It reads like a troll piece designed to frustrate. Thanks Norm Cowley, must be a slow news day.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...d-14b63d4bfe94

This quote is beyond comprehension:



Anybody that watched the game would know that Lampley and Lewis were completely useless waterbugs getting squished into the turf anytime they touched the ball. They got a combined 5yds rushing in the game. We had NO RUSHING ATTACK in the game save for some desperate scampers from chased QB's. WE passed almost exclusively in the game after apparently realizing that we had no running game in sight. What on Earth is Reed saying or thinking here? I wish somebody could explain it me because it hurts to read it that Reed thinks this is going to go well as a balanced attack. Idiot.

We have 3 scamper RB's, all around 180lbs, 5ft8, not a powerback in sight, and not one guy that will be able to bounce off tackles or run through blocks very successfully. We got Charles and not much else in the backfield. We got rid of Messam and Boyd last year "who we didn't need" and we're left with this collection of pint sized midget RB's. For a "honed balanced attack"

This is funny too. Hugh Charles on being an Esks RB:

This is like a Horcoff quote. "its not just about points and scoring, its about working hard, playing your man, playing hard, did I say that? and you know, having the right attitude"

WEll that settles it then, no wonder Reed was completely satisfied with the 5yd total "running game" from his RB's last week. That impressed him...

Jebus Charles your primary job is making yds if you don't do it I don't know where its coming from.

Holy ****. Wake me when the carnage is over.
I'm not saying I fully disagree with you, however the exhagurated doomsday 'sky is falling' rant you just went on seems a bit much this early in the season. Charles is the least of our worries this year, I think he's going to be great. I would hardly base anything in pre season, football is much different then hockey as far as readiness and prep goes. These guys are so green right now and it's too be expected.

PETRYDISH is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
  #184
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I'm not saying I fully disagree with you, however the exhagurated doomsday 'sky is falling' rant you just went on seems a bit much this early in the season. Charles is the least of our worries this year, I think he's going to be great. I would hardly base anything in pre season, football is much different then hockey as far as readiness and prep goes. These guys are so green right now and it's too be expected.
This offense has huges holes before the season has even started. We have QB's that haven't played a lick of pro football, we have one bonafide starting RB, Recievers that didn't produce much last year outside of Stamps, a line thats still leaking, and no reap upgrades.
Should I add that we've lost Bowman(who may not be ready for a longtime), we don't have Messam, Boyd, or any powerback, and we gave up on Carr who is better than most of our receivers and slammed it in our face just last week.

Oh wait, and a headcoach that micromanages things he knows nothing about and doesn't have a clue about offense but will meddle anyway and think Joseph, Carter, and Lampley are stars.

The whole trouble is I've seen this exact same circus before, we all have, the offense hasn't been upgraded one iota.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 08:02 AM
  #185
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
The concerning thing that I get out of that piece is that Reed just doesn't think a running game is important. He didn't last year, so I don't know why I would expect anything to change.

I understand that we didn't run at all in the first preseason game because we want to get a look at all the QBs. Or at least that's what I assumed. Maybe that was actually what they plan on doing. What a scary thought.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 08:10 AM
  #186
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,362
vCash: 500
I'm calling for a lot of 2QB sets, and then bringing Kerwin Bell out of retirement after they all get season ending injuries.

Honestly, this team can't disappoint me anymore. I've seen every home game 4th quarter collapse and blowout loss for the last six seasons. Screaming rage has been replaced by maniacal Sideshow Bob laughter. I am mad as a hatter.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
  #187
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It's pre-season.
That does not lessen a 52-0 score because Hamilton is in pre season as well. Also scoring ZERO points in two games is just gruesome no matter what.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:08 PM
  #188
GrinningBuddha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That does not lessen a 52-0 score because Hamilton is in pre season as well. Also scoring ZERO points in two games is just gruesome no matter what.
6 points. Zero touchdowns. Point remains unchanged.

GrinningBuddha is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
  #189
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This offense has huges holes before the season has even started. We have QB's that haven't played a lick of pro football, we have one bonafide starting RB, Recievers that didn't produce much last year outside of Stamps, a line thats still leaking, and no reap upgrades.
Should I add that we've lost Bowman(who may not be ready for a longtime), we don't have Messam, Boyd, or any powerback, and we gave up on Carr who is better than most of our receivers and slammed it in our face just last week.

Oh wait, and a headcoach that micromanages things he knows nothing about and doesn't have a clue about offense but will meddle anyway and think Joseph, Carter, and Lampley are stars.

The whole trouble is I've seen this exact same circus before, we all have, the offense hasn't been upgraded one iota.
Thanks for enlightening me Replacement. I better cancel my season tickets and burn my jersey asap.

Then again maybe I'll wait to see how the team actually looks on the field once the regular season gets going.

abootzky is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:41 PM
  #190
Gord
Go Esks!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,545
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Thanks for enlightening me Replacement. I better cancel my season tickets and burn my jersey asap.

Then again maybe I'll wait to see how the team actually looks on the field once the regular season gets going.
you can hope.
but to be realistic, replacement is closer to the truth than most.
especially if the team doesn't seem to think getting yards with the running game matters.

it can be like the ricky ray years. no running game so the defenses could sit back and play against the pass.
when you factor in an average to below average receiving core, and the esks don't yet know what they have for a QB, it might get ugly.


Last edited by Gord: 06-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Gord is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  #191
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
So more starters should be playing today right
Like stamps and Charles and sherritt

I know pessimism is some what high right now and it's probably justified but I'll be watching anyway

402 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
  #192
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you can hope.
but to be realistic, replacement is closer to the truth than most.
especially if the team doesn't seem to think getting yards with the running game matters.

it can be like the ricky ray years. no running game so the defenses could sit back and play against the pass.
when you factor in an average to below average receiving core, and the esks don't yet know what they have for a QB, it might get ugly.
When you just do doom and gloom every freaking season, it's not hard to be closer to the truth when you just beat the same drum over and over and over.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
  #193
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Teams earn their doom and gloom or their optimism status. Both the Oilers and the Eskimos have 100% earned the doom and gloom status and until they truly start showing they are doing things right fan confidence is low as it should be.

Being happy and confident for no good reason is just as bad as being a downer for no good reason. Both teams have offered up much more ammo for the sour pusses like myself than the optimists.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
  #194
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Thanks for enlightening me Replacement. I better cancel my season tickets and burn my jersey asap.

Then again maybe I'll wait to see how the team actually looks on the field once the regular season gets going.
I've demonstrated exactly why I think what I stated and in detail. Do you argue the points?

We have less promising personnel on offense then we had going into last season. Again to recap, No Bowman, no Messam, no Boyd(0btained later but anyway) and No Carr (who is a good receiver and was underrated here) Do you seriously think we have better personnel on offense now? As a couple of people have mentioned we have no guarantee of what we will look like at QB either.

I have huge concerns with this offense, the schemes, and the micromanaging coach running things.

They say the definition of crazy is ****ing up and then doing the same thing all over again repeatedly and expect a different result. Kind of the way I look at the esks these days.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
  #195
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
When you just do doom and gloom every freaking season, it's not hard to be closer to the truth when you just beat the same drum over and over and over.
Wrong.

I was one of the most optimistic posters in the Esks thread last season on this board. Feel free to look it up. Its all there. But that optimism is tapped out. This looks like more of the same this year.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:30 PM
  #196
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
So more starters should be playing today right
Like stamps and Charles and sherritt

I know pessimism is some what high right now and it's probably justified but I'll be watching anyway
I can't remember who was on the radio, but they were resting Stamps because of the weather. Saying with the temperature change and moisture that they don't want to risk injury to key players.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  #197
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Wrong.

I was one of the most optimistic posters in the Esks thread last season on this board. Feel free to look it up. Its all there. But that optimism is tapped out. This looks like more of the same this year.
yeah, i can back replacement up on this... he was very cheerful last year about the esks prospects... i remember this because i was very doom/gloom about the team last year... we seem to have switched places this year, as i am actually hopeful about this season

jadeddog is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #198
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, i can back replacement up on this... he was very cheerful last year about the esks prospects... i remember this because i was very doom/gloom about the team last year... we seem to have switched places this year, as i am actually hopeful about this season
heh, thanks, and hopefully I'm wrong both times. But I'll be there in the stands, reality is I'll go and hope for the best. As season approaches and hockey is going gonzo I'm more into it. I think with SC playoffs lasting so long its one of he reasons I've not cared as much this year about the start of football season. But I feel it.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
  #199
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, i can back replacement up on this... he was very cheerful last year about the esks prospects... i remember this because i was very doom/gloom about the team last year... we seem to have switched places this year, as i am actually hopeful about this season
Yeah but his optimism was so delusional it was funny. Steven Jyles the saviour! Thank god we got rid of that utter bum Ricky Ray!

Beerfish is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  #200
GatoradeG*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
I miss Ricky. Was my favourite player even though he got bashed constantly. I suppose I could use that in both football and fan perspective terms. Signs are pointing negatively so far for a positive season. I won't be watching any games but I hope they do better than I expect them to.

GatoradeG* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.