HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier Race Down to 3 Teams (TOR, PHI, MIN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Wow Fletch please don't offer some of the deals I've seen in this thread

Old
06-21-2013, 03:36 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Can't believe the Isles would drop out of this unless the asking price is stupid high.
Might not be the asking price but what was offered by others. It is a case where Leiweke knows better than any other exec in hockey how good Bernier is. And might be pushing the buttons behind the scenes to up the offer.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Vic Vinegar

Though I have my doubts, I really hope Dean pulls of the 1st + good prospect he's been talking about.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I want Bernier on Toronto because he was ready and willing to drop the Mits with Crawford.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:39 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak View Post
Though I have my doubts, I really hope Dean pulls of the 1st + good prospect he's been talking about.
If that's the cost I want nothing to do with Bernier

Old
06-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
I see Minnesota with the best fit.

Philadelphia will only go for him if Bryzgalov is bought out and it doesn't appear that he will be. Toronto are fine in net if you ask me, it's not a main need that they need to go for. Minnesota will be letting Backstrom go and Bernier can fill that void.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Might not be the asking price but what was offered by others. It is a case where Leiweke knows better than any other exec in hockey how good Bernier is. And might be pushing the buttons behind the scenes to up the offer.
Same thing really.

" Well the Leafs offered us XXXXX, can you top it?"

If the price ends up being a 1st and a toss in project prospect (Kabanov as an example) I'm gonna be pissed.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:43 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Leiweke may also have a better idea of what LA is looking for or what may appeal to them.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Just as well off getting talent that is NHL ready or already playing there.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
If that's the cost I want nothing to do with Bernier
Yep. If he costs our 1st (next year, since we don't have one this year) and one of our top prospects, the Wild needs to withdraw immediately. We'll manage without Bernier, thank you very much.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Diatomic
#FireCarlyle

Don't watch Bernier. Go steal someone else's prospects.

Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
The 1st and a "good" young player/prospect? Holy moley.

I'd like having Bernier but at that price I think Nonis would be better off waiting until free agency and gunning for a veteran backup for Reimer.
I don't know what Nonis is thinking but I'm going to try to comprehend the reasoning as to why they may want to pursue Bernier. Although Bernier hasn't exactly proven himself as a starter, it is difficult to say with certainty that Reimer has as well. The reason I say this is because he hasn't really had a full season yet as a starter.

Reimer's career high was 37 games in 2010-11. He appeared in 34 games last season where he was largely disappointing, and 33 games in this shortened season where he appeared to bounce back (though was still letting in some questionable goals here and there).

Of course, Bernier has been tested less, but he's slightly younger and in his limited starts, has looked very sharp in net. He's not the type of goaltender who flounders in his crease as we've seen with Reimer. Bernier always seems to be in control and never looks flustered, frustrated, or out of focus. He's a competitor and I think playing behind Quick helped him develop this part of the game.

Although it was a while back, but the last time Bernier got to play regularly as a starter was in the AHL and he put up some stellar numbers there and was one of the best netminders in the minors at that time, and at that time he was 20-21 years of age. There is a lot to like about Bernier and his potential to succeed in the NHL. I think that is what makes him so attractive to teams that are seeking a netminder to build around with the present and future in mind.

Old
TROLLPOSO

I don't understand why the Leafs would go after Bernier. JB wants to be a starter. If he goes from the Kings to the Leafs he will be in the same position as he was when it was between him and Quick before the Cup season.

Trade him to the Isles. He is the starter. Everyone goes away happy. 1st and Kabanov. Done

Old
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
CodeE

My theory is the Islanders are out of the running because the Kings want a defenseman back as the centerpiece of the deal and the Isles are in no position to move the kind of defenseman who would get Bernier back.

Flyers, Leafs, and Wild seem like three teams who could part with a young, valuable defenseman to get Bernier. Plenty of names to toss around among the three of them, and I could see LA wanting immediate blueline help as opposed to a pick or forward prospect.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
I doubt any team is willing to drop out of the 1st round in this draft. Maybe a 2014 1st, but even then I'm not convinced. The goalie market lately hasn't shown precedence for a 1st.

The best recent comparable that I can think of is Ben Bishop.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
I hate when people from up in the corporation come in and push for something. It's what killed the leafs in the past

Old
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Jray42

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
My theory is the Islanders are out of the running because the Kings want a defenseman back as the centerpiece of the deal and the Isles are in no position to move the kind of defenseman who would get Bernier back.

Flyers, Leafs, and Wild seem like three teams who could part with a young, valuable defenseman to get Bernier. Plenty of names to toss around among the three of them, and I could see LA wanting immediate blueline help as opposed to a pick or forward prospect.
You obviously know nothing about the flyers if you think they could easily afford to give up a young, valuable defenseman (if we even had one, for that matter).

Old
06-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I doubt any team is willing to drop out of the 1st round in this draft. Maybe a 2014 1st, but even then I'm not convinced. The goalie market lately hasn't shown precedence for a 1st.

The best recent comparable that I can think of is Ben Bishop.
Which is why I said I have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Just as well off getting talent that is NHL ready or already playing there.
word is dean has been trying to get back into the 1st round of this draft.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:57 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Wat.
My theory is that Snow would not make a lopsided deal. That being said, I pay no heed to some Tweet until JB is actually traded.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
You obviously know nothing about the flyers if you think they could easily afford to give up a young, valuable defenseman (if we even had one, for that matter).
Apparently he thought the Streit signing created a surplus. All you need is Gervais and Streit and you are all set.

Old
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:

Sorry but your theory is wrong. Despite uncertainty with Willie Mitchell/Rob Scuderi situations, we actually have too many D. We don't need D. We also have an incredible defensive defenseman prospect named Kevin Gravel, who no one talks about but I expect to do big things with this team. We also have Forbort and Deslauriers in the wings, as well as some other decent prospects. Really the only area we lack is at the left wing position.

Old
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
I don't understand why the Leafs would go after Bernier. JB wants to be a starter. If he goes from the Kings to the Leafs he will be in the same position as he was when it was between him and Quick before the Cup season.

Trade him to the Isles. He is the starter. Everyone goes away happy. 1st and Kabanov. Done
It's because the Leafs don't have an established starter. Bernier is ready to compete for a starting role but he's not going to be given it at this stage.

In my opinion Bernier needs to go to a place to be in a 1a/1b kind of situation. Toronto is a good fit.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:00 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
My theory is that Snow would not make a lopsided deal. That being said, I pay no heed to some Tweet until JB is actually traded.
My "wat" was directed at the guy who thinks the Wild can afford to give up a young valuable defenseman for a goalie.

Old
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Because Snow knows he doesn't have to overpay and can just move onto other options.

Old
santiclaws

Quote:
My theory is the Islanders are out of the running because the Kings want a defenseman back as the centerpiece of the deal
The Kings have defensemen coming out of their ears. They don't need another.

Closed Thread