HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Spittin' In The Wind

Questions, questions?? ....does anybody have answers?

Does the name Vladimir Ionin ring a bell ? If so perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why the NHL rates him as the 87th ranked European skater for the 2013 NHL entry draft. Yes it appears that Ionin did a 360o turn after having been let go by the Spitfires.
Does anyone know if Stephan Alonge will get an invite to the Spitfire training camp in the fall? I know he'll be an O/A but IMHO he could replace a couple of the pugilists filling spots on the roster and score the odd goal as well.

And last but not least has anyone seen in writing the fact that the CHL will not allow trading of draft choices in the 2013 CHL import draft? I know it's been alluded to in various articles but I find it strange that when the rules were changed regarding Import goalies no mention was made of the no trade angle.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Ottomatic

If Ionin pulled a 360 it would mean he was right back to where he started. 87th ranked Euro is what 5th-6th rounder? Still nothing to write home about. But good on the kid if he gets drafted.

Last I heard with Alonge is that he was going to school to be a cop back home. Not the hiring process, but the equivalent to Law and Security type taught at St. Clair College.

Unless WR truly believes Demontis is a NHL first or second rounder, and/or was offering a top education package that would have paid him to attend an Ivy League school if he crapped out - than WR should be kicked in the nads for even trying to lure the kid away from a Harvard/Cornell full ride (or their equivalent as IIRC they don't give out athletic scholarships).

Old
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
OHLTG

Some pretty cool news from the team today:

They're partnering with the Windsor and Essex County Cancer Center Foundation to help out with the Joe Hogan Memorial Golf Tournament, which is in it's 16th year.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:49 AM
RayzorIsDull

Carter Sandlak to Plymouth for a 4th in 2014.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Carter Sandlak to Plymouth for a 4th in 2014.
What?!?! Carter Sandlak is an over-ager?? Plymouth needs to get rid of their over-agers, so why are they bringing them in??

Old
06-19-2013, 11:40 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
What?!?! Carter Sandlak is an over-ager?? Plymouth needs to get rid of their over-agers, so why are they bringing them in??
Actually they only have 3 excluding Michael Whaley,Crrombeen who is never healthy,Malysa and Lorentz
Thought Sandlak would wind up here in Windsor,hey I was in the area lol
Besides Plymouth needs size up front with Payne gone,and Wilson probably too

Old
06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually they only have 3 excluding Michael Whaley,Crrombeen who is never healthy,Malysa and Lorentz
Thought Sandlak would wind up here in Windsor,hey I was in the area lol
Besides Plymouth needs size up front with Payne gone,and Wilson probably too
Right and Sandlak isn't as good as Payne but Sandlak should add around 15 goals. Right now it's probably Sandlak, Malysa, and Lorentz. Maybe Meurs finds his way back to Plymouth which would help. They will utilize their 2 import picks no doubt most likely forwards. Hartman, Sandlak, Mistele, 2 imports, Villardi. The wildcard is obviously Wilson I think he plays some in the NHL but eventually gets returned. Vellucci is still going to be busy.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:20 AM
StuCarterStats

For a complete list of OHL Transactions see my blog.
http://ontariohockeyleaguetransactions.blogspot.ca/

The West Division has made 9 trades since June 1.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:11 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuCarterStats View Post
For a complete list of OHL Transactions see my blog.
http://ontariohockeyleaguetransactions.blogspot.ca/

The West Division has made 9 trades since June 1.
It looks like a number of the teams have attempted to make moves to bolster their teams.

The Windsor Spitfires who managed to miss the playoffs last year have made one of those trades. The only trade they have completed was to trade a player who wanted out -> for a draft choice. Not a big challenge.

IMHO at this point in time the Spits aren't as good as last years team.

Sure it's easy to say the team had injuries that contributed to their poor record but they also had Khokhlachev and Aleardi who are now long gone. Questionable personnel decisions made by management contributed heavily to their poor showing last season especially during the run for the playoffs when the team had the shorts when it came to available bodies.

Will they be a better team this year?

Apparently the fan base has it's doubts if rumors of a big drop in season ticket sales is true. If one looks at the OHL writers opinions it appears they don't expect a lot from the Spits.

The burning question of the day is; why are the Spits waiting while other teams bolster their rosters?

IMHO The Spits are looking at both taking a run for the roses and rebuilding at the same time. I expect them to wait until they see what happens at both the NHL draft and CHL Import draft. Once both are completed we'll see how the dominoes fall. Last years CHL Import draft results don't give one a confidant feeling....

Old
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
hockeylegend11

punch1943

Not surprised that the Spits have not swung a major deal this summer yet,still a little early,besides with the exception of the Payne deal to Saginaw which btw was a completion of the Trochek deal from last yr none of those deals were what I call earth shattering or impactfull
I would agree that the Spits are not as good as last yrs team at this juncture,though the same could be said for every team in the conference with the exception of London,Saginaw and Erie,though Erie has not improved its defense yet
Even Guelph who probably is one of top 3 teams early projection does not have a definitive goalie,and with Pedan and Richard not returning plus Sparks,Posa and Beukeboom are probably not as good yet
The Euro draft will have to produce dividends,1 bad year at the Euro draft table does not concern me,though a 2nd one with 2 early picks would defintely be bothersome
Still plenty of time to see how things shake out
Other teams such as Owen Sd,SSM,Plymouth,Kitchener and Sarnia have suffered much more losses then Windsor so I am not concerned yet
Beefing the up the offense is the main priority we all know that,just be patient

Old
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I think some people are being antsy is because currently this offseason is looking quite familiar to last year. Last year they did add Sieloff but pretty much the core returned. They tried to utilize their import pick but failed but they also got Khokhlachev at the midway mark. So if they had done well with that import pick either Koko wouldn't have returned or Windsor would have had to move Pavelka but the organization showed unwavering confidence in an average starting goalie at best. So either way it would have rendered one of these upcoming import picks nil.

On the surface right now the best hope is to get 2 imports equal to the production of Khokhlachev and Aleardi. If that's the case you're still back to square one. Yes you hope players improve stay healthy but all 19 teams are on equal footing when it comes to that in regards to returning players. Will Ho-Sang improve more than a McCann, Fabbri etc.. Will Vail improve instead of regress? Will Ebert improve upon his -39 . There's only so much you can blame on systems, injuries etc.. If the team struggles again it all goes back on Rychel and the evaluations of his coaches and scouts especially since Rychel is bringing the band back together for the most part. If they add 2 imports, add 1 or 2 OA's but don't get an American recruit I am betting they are 7th in the conference and no better. I think that's a fair evaluation as well since they were 9th and lost Koko and Aleardi. So 2 imports, some better health moves them up 2 spots in the west.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I think some people are being antsy is because currently this offseason is looking quite familiar to last year. Last year they did add Sieloff but pretty much the core returned. They tried to utilize their import pick but failed but they also got Khokhlachev at the midway mark. So if they had done well with that import pick either Koko wouldn't have returned or Windsor would have had to move Pavelka but the organization showed unwavering confidence in an average starting goalie at best. So either way it would have rendered one of these upcoming import picks nil.

On the surface right now the best hope is to get 2 imports equal to the production of Khokhlachev and Aleardi. If that's the case you're still back to square one. Yes you hope players improve stay healthy but all 19 teams are on equal footing when it comes to that in regards to returning players. Will Ho-Sang improve more than a McCann, Fabbri etc.. Will Vail improve instead of regress? Will Ebert improve upon his -39 . There's only so much you can blame on systems, injuries etc.. If the team struggles again it all goes back on Rychel and the evaluations of his coaches and scouts especially since Rychel is bringing the band back together for the most part. If they add 2 imports, add 1 or 2 OA's but don't get an American recruit I am betting they are 7th in the conference and no better. I think that's a fair evaluation as well since they were 9th and lost Koko and Aleardi. So 2 imports, some better health moves them up 2 spots in the west.
Rayzor I get what u are saying though as I pointed out at end of last season Spits were 8th in returning goals for in the OHL,although 7 teams were in the West,but nobody in the western conference had everybody coming back on the back end,a good number of teams in fact were losing major portions of their D,including London,Kitchener,Owen Sd,Sarnia,SSM,Erie has yet to improve its backend,Guelph loses Posa,Pedan,Beukeboojm,Polizzani,Plymouth"s D was their weak link,Saginaw has quanity plus question marks re Young,Webermin,Lopez
Goaltending might or might not be a problem,but a lot of teams have question marks in goal with the exception of Sag,SSM and Erie
Now I admit i included Ben Johnson in the mix as it was done prior to his legal issues
so that stings from a hockey point of view
I do feel if 2 Euros,plus a deal or 2,plus an American signing or 2 thinking Allen and Butcher ,would make quite a difference in the scoring makeup of this team
I do see improvement from all returning players including Vail and Ebert,I think both learned alot playing in the pros and hopefully they will bring some of that knowledge back in their play here
Results from the Euro draft,signing,trades and current drafts will in my view yield 6 or 7 forwards most of which should contribute immediately
I am of the opinion should all these come to pass I think Windsor could finish 4th maybe third in the conference
The lineup as it stands now would probably finish no better then 7th,but the same could be said for teams such Erie,Sarnia,SSM,Sarnia,Plymouth,and Kitchener
Most though not all have suffered greater losses then Windsor especially at the D position and I am counting on Windsor to full adv of that

Old
06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

I agree with some of the things you say legend. I am just of the opinion even if they made moves or haven't at this point. The organization doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt right now. If the public were to ask Rychel and Boughner other than being healthy and a new defensive system which none of us have seen. Why will this year be any different than the prior two? I imagine they really couldn't give you a straight answer. A new defensive system might help but that doesn't solve the forwards not back checking for 2 straight years.

Before London was given the handout by Branch and the Memorial Cup committee I was very bullish on the Storm being a contender I am not so sure now since they are in the same division. I do think there is hope with Mancina. He has gotten a lot of accolades already for being 17 and not having played a game in the OHL. Not a shot at DeKort or Kuchmey but I bet Rychel and Boughner would doing cartwheels if they had selected Mancina instead of Brown or Verbeek.

We are on the same page as of now probably 7th. One team I am a bit concerned about is Erie. They have been real bad but if you were to draft the 2 teams the first player taken would obviously be McDavid. I could see him winning the scoring title this year unless he makes the World Juniors. I see Sarnia struggling but they also have a new coach and if their kids buy in they could surprise eg. like the Soo with Keefe.

Like it or not how Windsor does is going to be determined by how Ho-Sang develops. Is he going to buy in to a team concept? Will he start using his teammates? I think he has a lot of upside but the comparison of him to Hall was insulting imo. Hall pretty much bought in day 1, he would go to the dirty areas to score goals and he literally carried the team for a stretch of a couple weeks. I am not saying Ho-Sang can't do that but he's not at that level either.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Before London was given the handout by Branch and the Memorial Cup committee I was very bullish on the Storm being a contender

Handout, LOL!!! Yes, because Windsor and Barrie's presentations were that much better. Come on man, I don't think it was necessarily that Londons bid was that good, it was just that the others were that bad.
And last time I checked, they can't say to the bidders "you all stink so we are going to give Guelph a call and see if they mind hosting".
Carry on

Old
06-20-2013, 03:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Handout, LOL!!! Yes, because Windsor and Barrie's presentations were that much better. Come on man, I don't think it was necessarily that Londons bid was that good, it was just that the others were that bad.
And last time I checked, they can't say to the bidders "you all stink so we are going to give Guelph a call and see if they mind hosting".
Carry on
I will make it quick as not to create a war.

How do you know their presentations were better or not better?

Trusting this committee which are just a bunch of Branch cronies doesn't build a lot of confidence but since it was relatively the same group who selected London in 05 I can understand why you would be so happy.

I am confident in saying London won't win the Memorial Cup barring other teams giving away their best players for nothing like in 05. London has shown the Memorial Cup stage is too big for them to handle, 0 for 2 and bbq.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Trusting this committee which are just a bunch of Branch cronies doesn't build a lot of confidence but since it was relatively the same group who selected London in 05 I can understand why you would be so happy.

I am confident in saying London won't win the Memorial Cup barring other teams giving away their best players for nothing like in 05. London has shown the Memorial Cup stage is too big for them to handle, 0 for 2 and bbq.
Come on Rayzor create a war lol they are fun,I should know

Btw totally agree with u in this case

Old
06-20-2013, 03:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

Agree totally re HoSang if a big big if he ever matures could be something special
has the talent and ability,if leaves his ego at the door and works within a team concept look
out,otherwise he wont last 4 yrs here unfortunately
Re Mancina nice young goalie Guelph better hopes he develops quick,i like him think u will like Windsor"s Johnston too,looks like a real beauty
I fear Erie too,though their defense is awful,McDavid will play for Team Canada in my view,which might prelude him from winning the scoring championship,Erie could lose Pelech to Team Canada too,Dansk to Sweden,Strome to under 17,boy they will be hurting at Xmas,Windsor as well,Rychel maybe Team Canada,along with Koekkoek,Vail,Ebert and Seiloff to Team USA,and probably 1 of the Euros to world jrs too
Supposedly 2 middling teams with the most players away go figure
As Sarnia,re their new coach,difference between them and SSM with Keefe is that he had something to work with,Miller,Sproul,Nurse,Tolchinsky,McCann,Cousins ,Fritsch,Murray and Nichols one of the better tandems in the league
Sarnia has Goldobin,DeAngelo and not alot else but kids,I think Letowski has his work cut out for him

Old
06-20-2013, 06:39 PM
youngblood10

Usually fans wait until the team loses a game before they burn down the arena. Does the team deserve the benefit of the doubt. No, but it's junior hockey, as experts we know it takes until January to see what you have. It's June folks. Even though this negativity is polar opposite of what Hounds fans use to do trumping it was going to be their year every summer it's equally as ridiculous. If your looking for a Memorial Cup appearence, well that's not going to happen, but maybe it will be possible that the boys might play with some pride and heart or they get some team oriented kids in here who will. Bringing some good hockey back to Windsor.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:

You could combine windsor and barries team and still fall short of londons roster for next year. Hows that for the start of a better presentation. 1for3 in 8 years at the big show, guess we should have bought our way to our second cup
Can i borrow that crystal ball you have that shows how the knights dont win it all next year. Does this same ball show the spits missing the playoffs again?
No war needed. You cant predict the future, and no matter who was on the committee knights were the right choice for the host. Although i think it would have been hysterical if windsor got it. Could you imagine how far in to the future they would have to trade picks for to get decent talent, not to mention the amount of under the table money to lure some more talent! And the best part would be the show following the players, all the way to court and maybe jail too with all their shenanigans. But i digress.
Please, go back to being bitter and figuring out how the spits will get more than 1000 fans to their games and who is going to provide scoring for you...use that ball you have
You know im just playin, legend wanted to play war some im just playin
On a serious note, they really do need to make some trades. Sandlak would have been a solid acquisition...good for Plymouth although i dont understand it. Player like that would have been great with Hosang.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:53 PM
jughead42

Aren't there players you could be throwing banana's at instead of crapping in the thread of a team that missed the playoffs? Why don't you pretend it's St Patricks Day, set fire to a cop car, or whatever it is you do in London that is so awesome that you can be so arrogant. Part of me is proud of the fact we've never needed the free ticket to the dance to come home with the biggest prize. 2 to 1 right now, keep running your mouth. When we hire a sick weirdo like the water boy and let him sleep in our dressing room instead of owning an apartment so he can "take care of our players" then you can come on here and chirp. Seriously London boy, I'd rather surrender the odd draft pick for buying a kid's parents a hotdog at the game every once in a while than have anything to do with your truly sick, diseased, and overrated organization. It's not even close.

Yeah, the offseason is quiet and until we see some dominoes fall I'm going to have a hard time being optimistic because of last season. Having said that, I've watched way too much junior hockey over the years and seen way too many useless turds come back and make a big impact after one good offseason. Whatever moves we make, the thing that will make us competitive for the cup this year will be our internal development. If enough guys have good offseasons and come back focused, we're in the mix. That really didn't happen last year, I'd like to think that won't happen two years in a row. We can trade and draft euros all we want, but we need our returning players to take a leap forward to truly be in the mix. If that does happen, it could be spectacular. Hall was obviously more focused and mature coming in as a rookie than Ho Sang seemed to be, however you can see the talent he has in abundance. Lots of guys who are high picks take a season to break out, and if Ho Sang does it has the potential to be spectacular.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
OHLTG

Man, we need to get fresh air

We're still talking London Memorial Cup? If someone knows how to change the outcome, I'm all ears. Otherwise, meh.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Aren't there players you could be throwing banana's at instead of crapping in the thread of a team that missed the playoffs? Why don't you pretend it's St Patricks Day, set fire to a cop car, or whatever it is you do in London that is so awesome that you can be so arrogant. Part of me is proud of the fact we've never needed the free ticket to the dance to come home with the biggest prize. 2 to 1 right now, keep running your mouth. When we hire a sick weirdo like the water boy and let him sleep in our dressing room instead of owning an apartment so he can "take care of our players" then you can come on here and chirp. Seriously London boy, I'd rather surrender the odd draft pick for buying a kid's parents a hotdog at the game every once in a while than have anything to do with your truly sick, diseased, and overrated organization. It's not even close.

Yeah, the offseason is quiet and until we see some dominoes fall I'm going to have a hard time being optimistic because of last season. Having said that, I've watched way too much junior hockey over the years and seen way too many useless turds come back and make a big impact after one good offseason. Whatever moves we make, the thing that will make us competitive for the cup this year will be our internal development. If enough guys have good offseasons and come back focused, we're in the mix. That really didn't happen last year, I'd like to think that won't happen two years in a row. We can trade and draft euros all we want, but we need our returning players to take a leap forward to truly be in the mix. If that does happen, it could be spectacular. Hall was obviously more focused and mature coming in as a rookie than Ho Sang seemed to be, however you can see the talent he has in abundance. Lots of guys who are high picks take a season to break out, and if Ho Sang does it has the potential to be spectacular.
Hilarious! Ahh, gotta love the passion of these fans. Thanks for playing along, that was fun.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Snippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post

Glad to know you are a fan of generalization. I guess the whole population of London was throwing bananas, and everyone was a part of a riot? Seriously, that's not something you should chirp about. Generalizing people is what leads to racism...it's disgusting.

We can compare the two franchises all day and night. IMO, it's London and it's not even close. But that's just me.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post

We can compare the two franchises all day and night. IMO, it's London and it's not even close. But that's just me.
WOW , imagine that, a london fan comes into the Windsor thread and says London's franchise is better...

Old
06-21-2013, 05:41 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
WOW , imagine that, a london fan comes into the Windsor thread and says London's franchise is better...
Wonder what they discuss on their own thread....lemme guess not talking about how well the fuzz treats the hometown heroes.

Closed Thread