HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
06-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Jakey53

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I agree. I don't think Z is worth taking up $4 mil in cap space. I'd like to see Stone and Rundblad taking two of the right hand shot dmen spots this season. Then use that $4 mil to upgrade a forward spot on offense. Stone, Morris, Yandle and OEL in the top 4 works and you still have plenty of talent to fill the last two spots.
You add Schlemko and one of Klesla/Gormley/Rundblad that is a pretty solid top six.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:49 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Looks like Toronto is closing in on acquiring the 7th overall from Edmonton. Of course nothing finalized yet and any trade won't be announced until after the Finals end. But if true, we'd really only have Carolina left as a potential draft trade up partner.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Looks like Toronto is closing in on acquiring the 7th overall from Edmonton. Of course nothing finalized yet and any trade won't be announced until after the Finals end. But if true, we'd really only have Carolina left as a potential draft trade up partner.
Woah, did not see that coming. I'm not trying to call you out or anything Pi, but do you have any links to the story? I'm very interested to see what the deal could look like.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Woah, did not see that coming. I'm not trying to call you out or anything Pi, but do you have any links to the story? I'm very interested to see what the deal could look like.
It's okay, again I emphasize it's just rumor, but apparently it looks like Nonis and MacTavish have been talking, and it has been reported that MacT has already completed two trades, just waiting until after the Finals to announce.

Right now Oilers HFers are speculating that it could revolve around Gardiner and Toronto's 1st for the 7th and something (Horcoff, Hemsky).

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-19-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:11 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
It's okay, again I emphasize it's just rumor, but apparently it looks like Nonis and MacTavish have been talking, and it has been reported that MacT has already completed two trades, just waiting until after the Finals to announce.

Right now Oilers HFers are speculating that it could revolve around Gardiner and Toronto's 1st for the 7th and something (Horcoff, Hemsky).
Interesting.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Interesting.
Yeah. Who knows. Could come out to nothing. But still, with the Avs now explicitly saying they're passing on Jones to go forward (and singing Barkov's praises) with the 1st, I've got one of those Han Solo feelings that there's gonna be a lot of moves going on right after the Grail is awarded. Exciting times are certainly ahead lol.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:31 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Yeah. Who knows. Could come out to nothing. But still, with the Avs now explicitly saying they're passing on Jones to go forward (and singing Barkov's praises) with the 1st, I've got one of those Han Solo feelings that there's gonna be a lot of moves going on right after the Grail is awarded. Exciting times are certainly ahead lol.
They have the 1st pick. Why would they say they are not taking someone specific or even acknowledge which person they are targetting?

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:38 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
They have the 1st pick. Why would they say they are not taking someone specific or even acknowledge which person they are targetting?
Either they are worried local media is setting up home town crowd to be disappointed/shocked if they select anyone but Jones or this is a negotiation tactic to leverage an asset or two while still getting the player they are targeting with their pick.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Either they are worried local media is setting up home town crowd to be disappointed/shocked if they select anyone but Jones or this is a negotiation tactic to leverage an asset or two while still getting the player they are targeting with their pick.
I doubt they are worried about the local media. If they draft a center than they'll move one on their roster. Duchene won't be offered, O'Reilly can't be traded until the end of February, Stastny won't get a decent return. IMO that leaves Drouin and Jones or wait until the deadline to trade O'Reilly. They may try to get TB to make a trade, a team that needs blue-line help on the right side.

It seems all this ploy is doing is drum up more options for Sakic.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Bob McKenzie's take on it:

Quote:
Why would Joe Sakic say that if the Colorado Avalanche keep the first overall pick in the NHL Draft, they are leaning towards passing on defenceman Seth Jones?

Bob McKenzie:
"There are two schools of thought out there on Sakic's comments. No. 1 is maybe it's a sincere and honest declaration in that quite frankly, they don't have the Denver kid who grew up there who has a high profile name because he's Popeye Jones' son. They don't have him ahead of any of the forwards that are available and therefore they want to start cushioning the blow and don't want it to be a big backlash if, all of a sudden, they surprise everybody on draft day by taking Nathan MacKinnon or Jonathan Drouin.

The flip side is, there's some people out there who thinks it's posturing; that Sakic is merely saying this because he believes the Florida Panthers or the Tampa Bay Lightning really want MacKinnon or Drouin. And if they think that those players are going to be gone to Denver with the number one pick, they might offer something. I don't believe that. I think the Panthers are going to sit there and say 'we're content to sit in the number two slot and take whoever's there according to our rankings.'"
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425894

Old
06-21-2013, 05:56 PM
RR

Finishing up a Mock draft as the Coyotes and wanted to see what you all think:

1-12 -- C Max Domi, 5.10 190 , London (OHL)
Pint-sized highly skilled offensive forward who can play both on the wing and down the middle. He constantly moves his feet and can explode from a standstill with quick two-step acceleration. He shows the ability to use quick starts and stops to shake defenders and quick enough foot work to break through defensive holes with superb agility. Heís hard to control with the puck and maintains possession almost effortlessly. His best ability is his creativeness with the puck and high-end vision in making plays. While many would classify him as a playmaker, Domi can and does finish. He utilizes a quick shot, rather than a hard one, that he can get off while playing with the puck. He catches goalies off guard with his accuracy. He does use his body to take the puck to the net with some authority. Defensively, he can be a takeaway machine, utilizing a quick stick and quick feet.
--Future Considerations

2-42 -- LW William Carrier, 6.00 205, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
Sturdily built winger who likes to go to the net. Plays a mature game, has very good hands, and is strong on the puck. Tenacious with great size and strength, vision, and passing ability. Very strong on his skates, which helps him maintain possession and 1-on-1 battles. Can be a devastating hitter when he wants to be. Worked extremely hard on his skating last summer, and has increased his stock by picking up a full step and markedly improving his initial quickness and acceleration.
Projection is a hard-driving, 2nd line scoring winger. His style compares to Joffrey Lupol.
Red Line Report

3-62 -- RW Marc-Olivier Roy, 6.01 180, Blainville (QMJHL)
Roy is a slick, speedy offensive-minded winger who is dynamic in the offensive zone, always trying to create by using his speed and skill. He skates very well both in terms of lateral agility and speed. He explodes out of the gate with his first few steps and has a solid change of pace that keeps defenders on their toes. He has quick and skilled hands that he uses to control the puck and pace of the play while he cuts to the net from the outside or to work the boards and win possession of the puck. He distributes very well with accurate and crisp passes but is more the goal scorer than set-up man even though he can do both. Roy plays with a surprising physicality to his game where he finishes hits, often surprising bigger opponents, and is not afraid to get gritty for pucks or mix it up after whistles. He supports his defense well by consistently coming back into his zone and proving an outlet.
NHL Potential: He projects as a top-6 scoring winger.
Future Considerations

3-73 -- RW Jackson Houck, 6.00 184, Vancouver (WHL)
Highly underrated! Showed leadership carrying his young team on both offense and defense following a major roster overhaul. Blossoming power winger uses size to establish and hold position around crease. Already tough to move off the puck and has a frame that could still add 20 pounds. Has a great understanding of how to lean on defenders and use his frame to separate them from the puck. Fearless and loves to initiate contact. Goes into traffic with speed and can clear out contested areas. Aggressive style draws defenders to him and opens up ice for his teammates. Accurate, heads-up passer distributes well in role of setup man. He's a 200-foot player who puts in the same tireless effort at both ends.
Projection is a tough, gritty 2nd liner who produces points. Style of play compares to Ryan Clowe.
Red Line Report

5-133 -- D Gage Ausmus, 6.01 198, USNDT (USHL)
A savvy defender with exceptional defensive awareness and a mean physical edge. Gage has opened ISS eyes, especially later in the season and at the World Under 18 Championships in Russia. Sometimes lost in the 8 man defence rotation for Team USA prevents him from logging a lot of special teams and overall minutes. He plays a smart two way game who does whatever it takes to contribute. He plays a smart and responsible game with the puck and more times than not, makes the right play. Feet are good and stride has decent burst to it. Not much offensive upside but has a bomb of a shot and isnít scared to control the rush on occasion either.
NHL Potential: Top 4 defenseman. Style compares to Adam Foote.
ISS

6-163 -- C Eric Locke, 5.09 182, Saginaw (OHL)
Locke is a smaller, but highly skilled center. He skates well, always keeping his feet in motion. He makes sharp cuts and turns to lose checkers, possesses quick lateral agility as well. Heís not the biggest player so he can get knocked off the puck rather easily by larger defenders. He has very skilled hands as he can control the puck, make some impressive dekes and dangles to get around opponents. He also holds a very good shot that is both hard and accurate. He started using his strength and frame to compliment his skill this season which has had a very good effect on his game and production. He thinks the game well and seemingly always has a way out planned in his head. His work ethic really improved this season at both ends. Instinctively, he gets to the correct spots in the offensive zone to generate a scoring chance. Confidence played a large part in his offensive consistency this season in Saginaw. After jumping around the OHL for a few years, Locke finally landed in an environment and situation that was ideal for him. His game has matured well and he has been able to take on a leadership role on a young Spirit squad. May end up a better winger than centre at the next level.
NHL POTENTIAL: Top 6 Offensive Winger
Future Considerations

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm happy.

06-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Finishing up a Mock draft as the Coyotes and wanted to see what you all think:

1-12 -- C Max Domi, 5.10 190 , London (OHL)
2-42 -- LW William Carrier, 6.00 205, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
3-62 -- RW Marc-Olivier Roy, 6.01 180, Blainville (QMJHL)
3-73 -- RW Jackson Houck, 6.00 184, Vancouver (WHL)
5-133 -- D Gage Ausmus, 6.01 198, USNDT (USHL)
6-163 -- C Eric Locke, 5.09 182, Saginaw (OHL)
Future Considerations
I like Domi, Carrier and Roy. Like to get Lodge possibly if he lasts to where Houck is, but other than that, great job.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:10 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Don't know much about this year's draft prospects that rated are beyond the 4th round, and I have Justin Bailey (who was taken right after you in that mock) ranked slightly ahead of Carrier, but nonetheless, I'd be very happy with those first 4 picks. And I'm pretty stoked you also picked Roy in the 3rd - kid reminds me of Kris Versteeg quite a bit.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

All I know is that if we stay at 12 I want Domi.

Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:35 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

So with this week's shakeup from Sakic and the Avs, my stab at a mini mock draft (just the Top 5):

1. Nathan Mackinnon
2. Sasha Barkov
3. Seth Jones
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Valeri Nischushkin

Looks like Carolina is going to see a lot of offers for the 5th, though, especially from Calgary and Edmonton. Obviously by virtue of being 12th we can outbid both of them (because we kinda have to lol), it's just a question of if the Canes would be willing to drop out of the top 10.

On another note, kinda feel bad for Nashville - they've needed a franchise center as long as we have and there's the non-trivial chance that they'll miss out entirely on MacK, Drouin, and Barkov and be faced with Jones on the board at #4 (and I'm certain Nisch is a non-starter with what they went through with Radulov). Of course, I'm sure they'll get some interesting offers for the 4th at the point, but I think they should consider moving up to at least 3 to ensure they get one of the three forwards.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-21-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 05:52 AM
DesertDawg

Colorado:
They have Johnson and Barrie playing the right side. They would prefer a 1st line LH PMD to improve their defense. Stastny's trade value is a lot lower than what his actual trade value is, so I don't see how trading him would fill that need. So I question if picking Mac, trading Stastny, and gaining a sub-par PMD is better than trading the #1 and filling needs. But what team would over pay for the 1st pick? Probably will pick Mackinnon, shop Stastny over the course of the year, and eventually trade O'Reilly at the deadline if they can't get him re-signed to a more reasonable contract. Drouin would be a good fit here if the Avs are willing to trade down a pick or 2 and picking up a depth player (or 2) in the process (Crombeen, Malone?). Mark Giordano and the 6th pick may be enough for the pick (I can see the Avs having interest in Lindholm).

Old
06-22-2013, 10:14 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm happy to hang on to guys like Yandle, Gormley and Rundblad. Just sit at twelve and take whichever of Domi or Shinkaruk should happen to fall.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm happy to hang on to guys like Yandle, Gormley and Rundblad. Just sit at twelve and take whichever of Domi or Shinkaruk should happen to fall.
I agree. Both are pretty good players.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
And I don't think The Don is the type of GM to trade for something that is not certain. I could see him drafting a a solid pick at 12 then making some moves to fill the forward position with an undervalued forward.

It would be nice to get a star in a slump. Like how the Jackets got Gaborik. Just would need the dollars to do it...easier said than done.

Honestly, I never know or could guess what GMDM is going to do. I do know he is good at his job.

Desert Ice 11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:02 PM
RR

Quote:
Don't know much about this year's draft prospects that rated are beyond the 4th round, and I have Justin Bailey (who was taken right after you in that mock) ranked slightly ahead of Carrier, but nonetheless, I'd be very happy with those first 4 picks. And I'm pretty stoked you also picked Roy in the 3rd - kid reminds me of Kris Versteeg quite a bit.
Thanks. I picked Carrier over Bailey because they both have good scoring upside, but Carrier's already playing a responsible two-way game. He just seemed more like a Maloney choice.

I haven't seen Roy play much, so I relied on everything I've been reading. He sounds like another Maloney-type guy. Plus it also sounds like he's among the best-in-class when it comes to working your ass off on every shift. That's what sold me.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Thanks. I picked Carrier over Bailey because they both have good scoring upside, but Carrier's already playing a responsible two-way game. He just seemed more like a Maloney choice.

I haven't seen Roy play much, so I relied on everything I've been reading. He sounds like another Maloney-type guy. Plus it also sounds like he's among the best-in-class when it comes to working your ass off on every shift. That's what sold me.
Very true regarding Carrier - he's more polished than Bailey at this point. But we can't also discount Maloney's fondness for Kitchener Rangers either lol.

FWIW: my personal targets in the 2nd are Petan, De La Rose, Bailey, and Carrier (in order of preference). Petan might be redundant if we draft Domi in the first, but I'd be happy if we drafted any of those 4 in the 2nd.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-22-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
OOEEL

I know I gave my rankings for our first round pick, but with the draft less than a week away I figured I'd open up the discussion a bit.

What are some names you guys would be interested in for the 2nd round?

Some names that've stood out to me are Bjorkstrand(Do I sound like a broken record yet?) Petan, Dauphin, De La Rose, Carrier, and Hurley.

Last edited by OOEEL: 06-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.
OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
I know I gave my rankings for our first round pick, but with the draft less than a week away I figured I'd open up the discussion a bit.

What are some names you guys would be interested in for the 2nd round?

Some names that've stood out to me are Bjorkstrand(Do I sound like a broken record yet?) Petan, Dauphin, De La Rosa, Carrier, and Hurley.
The guy I really want at 42 is Marko Dano. Had a huge WJC, has been playing against men since 16, great hockey sense and really hard worker at both ends of the ice. He even throws big hits. Unfortunately the 2nd round is labelled the Pedigree Reach Sector - or PRS for short, so PRS history tells us it will probably be Brendan Burke.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd take Burke in the third, but not the 2nd.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote