HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is HD worth it?

Old
10-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Bruins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I have HD, the image is slightly crispier but I have a plasma ...

Bottom line If I would have known that 3000 $ more = a little bit of crisp ...

I would have kept my money ...

And no it's not a big difference
If HD is only a 'slightly crisper', then you should check your configuration. There should be a substantial difference in the picture quality between a regular signal and a high definition signal regardless if you have a plasma tv or not.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan View Post
If HD is only a 'slightly crisper', then you should check your configuration. There should be a substantial difference in the picture quality between a regular signal and a high definition signal regardless if you have a plasma tv or not.
From everything I heard you're probably right. Everyone I've spoken to said the difference is VERY noticeable...and well worth it.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:47 PM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
My TV is HDTV ready (3 years old)....so with Videotron's HD box I should be all set.

Here's my TV
I no like projection, but still, good price good size.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
I no like projection, but still, good price good size.
I hear ya...but at the time I bought it LCD and Plasma were going for 5K+
The picture quality is awesome!!! But MAN is it ever heavy! (245 lbs)

Old
10-16-2006, 02:27 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

Watching the game on regular tv on Bell Expressvu CBC did not seem very clear at all. The cameras seems way too far away. Did anyone else have a hard time with picture clarity? I can't wait until I get a HDTV.

200 posts in 1 year

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting an HD box tonight and wanted to know from those who view many sports in HD what they think of it. Is the picture quality in Hockey, Football and Soccer a definite improvement? I have a 51" TV playing regular "stretched" cable and I must say that image quality for most sports is sub-par (the wide angle camera view anyway)...very tempted to switch to HD.

Give you 2 cents please.
Is colour TV worth it?

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:13 PM
RC51

Second long post. on current HDTV equipment.

Plasma and some LCD have finally attained 60,000 hours of projected use ( make sure yours does)
Contrast ratios of 5000-10000 for Plasma and up to 3000-4000 for LCD is a must and available on newer big models. ( great blacks are very important. Smaller LCD such as 26-37, 1200-1500 contrast ratio might be good enough for now.

DLP sets have developed a sales problem. The projector lamps don't last long, you might have to change the lamp every year at a cost of 375-550 per fix. Once off the warranty your dead.
Future Shop has STOPPED selling these completely due to problems.

Going forward, SED sets will be available in about 6-8 months.
It's a cross between CRT and LED. Flat sets but instead of a CRT tube the picture is created by a ton of LED's.

Announced just this week is Flat Laser tv. Promissing 1/2 price or about 1000.00 for a 50 inch and some of the best specs yet in the industry. A few big manufactures have already signed up for production. Production is said to start in about 12 months.

So buying now should be thought of as a temporary HD set. I would NOT shell out 4000-5000 for a current ultra high end set, knowing just what's around the corner.

Next you must think of the sound. Budget some money for a good 5.1 or better setup with subwoffer. It makes a huge difference to the whole expierience. You'll see

TRY to make sure the new set has HDMI inputs and not just component. Yes you can get HDTV from both but HDMI connections are 3-5% better picture quality ( from expierience)
Make sure all your new stuff is HDCP compatible. If you miss on this part you WILL regret your purchase. This is the latest industry standard for copy protection and if one of your pieces does not comply it won't WORK at all.

Last is the HD receiver ( cable or SAT). Like everything in HD tech right now they just keep getting better and better. My advice is to rent for the next two years or so, then take the plunge to buy. My feeling is a good PVR in HD with an added two years of upgrades will do just fine at the time.

HD DVD and Blue Ray are in a huge war, just wait till the dust settles, keep using your regular DVD player for now.

On a completely different subject, just a heads up on MP3 player headphones.
One of the best purchases I have ever done was getting myself a pair of higher end ear cannal headphones with foam tips. I chose Westones but Shure makes great ones also.
I tell you this because it was like going from regular tv the HDTV. It's a huge impact on the sound.
I have completely stopped using my 8 speaker car high end stereo. It may not be legal but I just can't go back from the sweet sound from my MP3 and the Westones. Most people have an MP3 now and I just can't let this subject go by without my 2 cents on upgrading the headphones, it just had too much of an impact.

Last edited by RC51: 10-16-2006 at 03:44 PM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
A1
Everything is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Second long post. on current HDTV equipment.

Plasma and some LCD have finally attained 60,000 hours of projected use ( make sure yours does)
Contrast ratios of 5000-10000 for Plasma and up to 3000-4000 for LCD is a must and available on newer big models. ( great blacks are very important. Smaller LCD such as 26-37, 1200-1500 contrast ratio might be good enough for now.

DLP sets have developed a sales problem. The projector lamps don't last long, you might have to change the lamp every year at a cost of 375-550 per fix. Once off the warranty your dead.

Going forward, SED sets will be available in about 6-8 months.
It's a cross between CRT and LED. Flat sets but instead of a CRT tube the picture is created by a ton of LED's.

Announced just this week is Flat Laser tv. Promissing 1/2 price or about 1000.00 for a 50 inch and some of the best specs yet in the industry. A few big manufactures have already signed up for production. Production is said to start in about 12 months.

So buying now should be thought of as a temporary HD set. I would NOT shell out 4000-5000 for a current ultra high end set, knowing just what's around the corner.

Next you must think of the sound. Budget some money for a good 5.1 or better setup with subwoffer. It makes a huge difference to the whole expierience. You'll see

TRY to make sure the new set has HDMI inputs and not just component. Yes you can get HDTV from both but HDMI connections are 3-5% better picture quality ( from expierience)
Make sure all your new stuff is HDCP compatible. If you miss on this part you WILL regret your purchase. This is the latest industry standard for copy protection and if one of your pieces does not comply it won't WORK at all.

Last is the HD receiver ( cable or SAT). Like everything in HD tech right now they just keep getting better and better. My advice is to rent for the next two years or so, then take the plunge to buy. My feeling is a good PVR in HD with an added two years of upgrades will do just fine at the time.

HD DVD and Blue Ray are in a huge war, just wait till the dust settles, keep using your regular DVD player for now.

On a completely different subject, just a heads up on MP3 player headphones.
One of the best purchases I have ever done was getting myself a pair of higher end ear cannal headphones with foam tips. I chose Westones but Shure makes great ones also.
I tell you this because it was like going from regular tv the HDTV. It's a huge impact on the sound.
I have completely stopped using my 8 speaker car high end stereo. It may not be legal but I just can't go back from the sweet sound from my MP3 and the Westones. Most people have an MP3 now and I just can't let this subject go by without my 2 cents on upgrading the headphones, it just had too much of an impact.

This is the thing that sucks about technoloogy, everything is always getting better, faster and cheaper. Seems like no matter how long you wait you're going to regret buying something 6 months later. When do you stop waiting and just take the plunge? With the RDS announcement I'm putting my deadline on a HDTV at Oct '07.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
RC51

A lot depends on you and your money.
The HDTV revolution is here to stay. What has surprised the TV manufactures is that people are willing to pay to get that better picture. For 40 years bigger was better and CRT ruled. Once the cat was out of the bag ( HDTV ) and people saw it, standard TV was on it 's death bed. HDTV is on fire right now. Everyone involved in the production to the provider of HDTV is scrambling. It was thought that a 5 or maybe a 10 % introduction rate would do but the snowball has started to roll. Sales of HD sets are just huge. Small, big,brand,type, it does not seem to matter, the darn things are flying off the shelf.
Everyone is getting into the act. It's not 6 giant world manufactures now, it's 50.
Plasma has had to drop in price, LCD has dropped, specs getting better and better. New types under development.

But you can't wait forever for the winner, their won't be a final winner for 5 more years.

HDTV is available NOW so why not jump in the pool now, but hold off on that BIG BIG set, just get 26-37 inch LCD for maybe $800, wait for a sale on a good one, spend on a good 5.1 sound system, they last forever anyway.
Sit a little closer to that LCD and go nuts on the picture.
I list LCD only because they dont make Plasma that small.

If your a family of 6, then size is an issue, if your alone it's not.

Old
10-16-2006, 05:32 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
great thread. tons of info!

just need some cash

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Chris Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Even if you watch a DLP more than 12 hours / day you dont have to change your lamp after 1 year and DEL projectors will last around 20 years!... this is a poor argument usually coming from salesmans to sell more expensive plasma or LCD tvs ( and since you cant repair a plasma or a LCD pannel they sell extended warranty ,aka big profits ) .. replacing a lamp was a GREAT feature a few years ago ( since a repair is easy , not that expensive , usually less than an extended warranty and give you amost a brand new tv..in terms of picture quality ) now this feature is like the worst thing ever ... go figure...

Chris Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I have HD, the image is slightly crispier but I have a plasma ...

Bottom line If I would have known that 3000 $ more = a little bit of crisp ...

I would have kept my money ...

And no it's not a big difference
WHAT? HD (anything) is a much better picture then standard video. Hockey is WAY better in HD.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Habs

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting an HD box tonight and wanted to know from those who view many sports in HD what they think of it. Is the picture quality in Hockey, Football and Soccer a definite improvement? I have a 51" TV playing regular "stretched" cable and I must say that image quality for most sports is sub-par (the wide angle camera view anyway)...very tempted to switch to HD.

Give you 2 cents please.
I love it. Make sure you spend the money on a good HDMI cable, and don't cheap out.

My eyes hurt watching a non HD game now, you become spoiled watching such a crisp image.

I'm running a 50" Panasonice plasma HD, and its an incredible picture.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:04 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

HD is TOTALLY WORTH IT

There is no question that a good HD system, with proper cables and surround sound is worth it IMO.

Baseball games, I can see the rotation of the ball, or the spiral of the football and indvidual blades of grass.

When I watch my Habs, they look amazing. When you add a good surround sound, you can hear the skates slicing through the ice, call from the bench and even the slap of the puck.

I run a 50" Sony SXRD hooked to a Bose Lifestyle 50 system, HDMI monster cables.

Check out the SXRD technology, it's amazing, true 1080p picture.

Come one.. when we lift our 25th banner to the rafters, I want to record it in the best picture possible.

You can go on any vacation, I'll keep my HDTV for the next 10-15 years!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Ludo

Thanks for the info on HDTV RC51.

For sound I'll be shopping in November.
Here's what I have in mind:

Speakers: JBL SCS300.7

Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR340

Old
10-16-2006, 08:55 PM
JrHockeyFan

Oh yeah

HD and Football were made for each other

Basketball is great too because you get to see more of the court and catch fast breaks without those camera jerks.

Hockey is getting better. A lot of the camera placements early on were not good for HD coverage. They are getting better

HDMI is a must. The more ports available, the better (for DVD connects, etc)

The only bad thing about HD is that when you have to watch regular digital, some of it looks awful.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Habs

Quote:
Thanks for the info on HDTV RC51.

For sound I'll be shopping in November.
Here's what I have in mind:

Speakers: JBL SCS300.7

Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR340

I wouldn't buy that amp, is has no HDMI switching for your highdef signal.

You can get a low end Sony for 400$ with HDMI switching and XM ready. You'll be hooped if you try and hook up your HDTV and a HDDVD and only one input on your t.v

Old
10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
AGalchenyuk27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
omfg yes.

my friend has a 72'' LCD screen hooked with a Bose system and I watched one full game in hd with it and wow.. the quality is too sick your eyes hurt! too bad he's not a sprots fan at all so i get to watch 1 game/year
Bose absolutely sucks. I watch in 100" HD projection screen with Paradigm speakers...now THAT'S amazing.

AGalchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:05 PM
canada_habs2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan View Post
There is really no comparison between HD and regular cable. Once you watch any sport in HD, there is no going back. It would be like switching back to a VCR to watch a movie.

no its not like switching back to a VCR. It's like switching back to black and white.

regular TV is the same now as it is in the 60's. The resolution hasn't changed one bit. HDTV blows u away.

its not just a bit crispier, or and bit better colour

canada_habs2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
Bose absolutely sucks. I watch in 100" HD projection screen with Paradigm speakers...now THAT'S amazing.
I have yet to see a projection HD image come close to a good quality HD plasma. I attended the CES show in Vegas, and the Panasonic rep compares the projection image to 80% of that of a plasma.

Its getting better, but as long as you are throwing the image against a screen it will never be as clear as a plasma. Too many variables in the screen surface.

However, hockey does look good on a projection still.

Old
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

yeah but there is a considerable upside in terms of space, storage and moving. I move around quite a bit, so a projector is much more convenient for me, though good screens can be expensive.

Also, I can barely notice the difference between projector and an LCDTV, so long as you don't try to have a 100' projected screen.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
yeah but there is a considerable upside in terms of space, storage and moving. I move around quite a bit, so a projector is much more convenient for me, though good screens can be expensive.

Also, I can barely notice the difference between projector and an LCDTV, so long as you don't try to have a 100' projected screen.
Absolutely.

Old
10-17-2006, 05:36 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsider View Post
Even if you watch a DLP more than 12 hours / day you dont have to change your lamp after 1 year and DEL projectors will last around 20 years!... this is a poor argument usually coming from salesmans to sell more expensive plasma or LCD tvs ( and since you cant repair a plasma or a LCD pannel they sell extended warranty ,aka big profits ) .. replacing a lamp was a GREAT feature a few years ago ( since a repair is easy , not that expensive , usually less than an extended warranty and give you amost a brand new tv..in terms of picture quality ) now this feature is like the worst thing ever ... go figure...
I am NOT a sales person. WHAT more expensive? Top Plasmas sell for 2500 now and have a half life of 60,000 hours.
As far as DLP , just do some research on common complaints on DLP. It's always about those lamps burning out early, some as early as 3-4 months over and over again ( see Toshiba DLP for the worst offender and class action complaints) Yes DLP gives a good picture, but at WHAT cost over the years?
Yep, it sounded like a good idea at the time but advancements in the other types have overtaken ANY benefit the DLP might have had 2 years ago even if the lamp issue had not proved to be a problem.

Old
10-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I wouldn't buy that amp, is has no HDMI switching for your highdef signal.

You can get a low end Sony for 400$ with HDMI switching and XM ready. You'll be hooped if you try and hook up your HDTV and a HDDVD and only one input on your t.v
That's really good to know...thanks! I'll look into the AVR445 then. Thanks.

Old
10-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Ludo

OK so I went out and got the box this past Tuesday.
All I have to say is:

NHL in HD: OMG...insane amount of sharpness and detail...the game is so beautiful *sniff*sniff*
Baseball in HD: Not a fan of baseball....but OMFG!!! It feels like you're in the stands! The image is soooo real.
Football in HD: None viewed yet
Soccer in HD: None viewed yet
TV series in HD: Saw bits and pieces of LOST and Heroeslast night....was blown away! We're talking true DVD quality...very impressive.

I kept toggling between MLB on Fox and then FoxHD....the difference is unbelievable! At one point I actually thought the new HD box had a circuit to render regular cable uglier than it actually was....just for the wow factor...but no. I can't believe how bad cable looks now.

Anyway, just thought I'd follow up on this. Thanks to everyone for your input.