HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Silver Lining to Boston's Success?

Old
06-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
All I'm saying is that we should be actively shopping him dude. We have to change if we want to win. We've already got three other smurfs and Gionta's the odd man out.

He's a good player, if we offer him up in a package we should be able to get something in return. We have to get bigger it's as simple as that.
It's only worth trading Gionta if we sell high, and right now his value is tainted with the perception that he's injury-prone. We'd be selling low (or at least lower than prime). Even if Bergevin is looking to trade him, you'd think the best timing would be after Gionta's started the season as a healthy, productive Hab.

And another thing. Trading Gionta would be a sign that the Habs are sellers and likely NOT making a run for the Cup this year. Gionta is the perfect veteran for a contending club. I'm fine with this strategy. It makes sense. But it'll be interesting to see how many steps back the team takes in the attempt to leap forward all the way in 2014/15. It'll be even more interesting to see the fans go nuts...

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I wouldn't call Boychuk irrelevant. He has a good shot from the point and scores goals. As for the Habs-Bruins match-up, the Habs have done OK on the scoreboard. Look it up if you can't remember.
I meant to say that Boychuk was irrelevant physically, if he wasn't backed up by Lucic, Chara, Thornton, etc.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The only silver lining was that they beat the Leafs ruthlessly, which quickly shut the pie holes of a lot of friends and family.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
For the sub- 5'10 players, he's the least easily replaced after Gallagher though. What people have to realize is that if you want to set up the young'uns for the sweet scoring time you've got to have someone pushing on those defensive minutes. You can't just insert some a mediocrity in Gionta's place and not be less effective.

They are already down one top six winger, addition is required more than subtraction in this area.

The competitive window is when the team's best talent is cheap, that's coming fast. A 2nd round pick doesn't help much.
We can use him to trade up in the draft, we can package him with something else for another player, we can go to the free agency to get secondary scoring, look for it in a trade etc...

It's not that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
It's only worth trading Gionta if we sell high, and right now his value is tainted with the perception that he's injury-prone. We'd be selling low (or at least lower than prime). Even if Bergevin is looking to trade him, you'd think the best timing would be after Gionta's started the season as a healthy, productive Hab.
I don't think so. You don't always have to sell high. Sometimes you dump a stock when it's not worth holding onto.

Gionta's been around for a long time. Teams know what they're getting with him. Waiting for him to come back and start producing isn't necessary. He's in the last year of his contract and if teams want him, they can have him. And if they don't want him now, they probably won't want him later either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
And another thing. Trading Gionta would be a sign that the Habs are sellers and likely NOT making a run for the Cup this year. Gionta is the perfect veteran for a contending club. I'm fine with this strategy. It makes sense. But it'll be interesting to see how many steps back the team takes in the attempt to leap forward all the way in 2014/15. It'll be even more interesting to see the fans go nuts...
I don't see why this would be the case. Esp if you replace him with another secondary scorer type guy with a little more size.

All it would say is that we want to get bigger... which we do.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The only silver lining was that they beat the Leafs ruthlessly, which quickly shut the pie holes of a lot of friends and family.
When all is said and done, there is no silver lining. The Bruins' success on top of the Habs' ignominious defeat by the Sens illuminates the team's inadequacy in several categories. It's unlikely to be remediable by a single trade or free agent signing. MB fully understands that the Habs have to take a slow route through the draft to upgrade to the Bruins' level, and of course that won't happen by the autumn of 2013.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:11 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This.

I was hoping they would die soon after. Didn't expect it to continue this long. Thanks a lot rangers and pens.

No other silver lining to them winning a freaking CUP! Also, I think when we talk about their success, this year, the only thing I'm willing to give them credit for insofar as doing something I'm not sure the Habs could have done was beat the pens and sweep then no less. Otherwise I don't consider them to be that much more successful. The 2011 cup was full of cheat and ridiculous luck/one bad bounce away from elimination twice. If they win this year then yes, I'll give them credit, but still hoping the Hawks learn how to adapt/Crawford doesn't have another bad game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
When all is said and done, there is no silver lining. The Bruins' success on top of the Habs' ignominious defeat by the Sens illuminates the team's inadequacy in several categories. It's unlikely to be remediable by a single trade or free agent signing. MB fully understands that the Habs have to take a slow route through the draft to upgrade to the Bruins' level, and of course that won't happen by the autumn of 2013.
I really don't judge the Habs based on the 1st rd series we had. You can call it making excuses (which we're not supposed to do), but the injuries were grave and numerous, and to very important players. I actually thought that before that bad streak (see injuries), we were pretty damn good. Bad luck IMO, more than a flawed team.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote