HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Boston

Old
06-21-2013, 12:11 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
And if Army can get a solid deal for a number one center great. This is a basis of if he can't. We still need to add a center and Peverly would be a good option. Chill out.
Peverley would also cost relatively little. In the 2011-2012 season he would have been around a 60 point player if he played a full year and has been a 55 point player in the past. If you can get a guy like that without giving up too much then it is a good deal if you have the room.

I understand a first line center is what people want, but that is likely to cost at least Shattenkirk and something else. Put in context, a 2nd for Peverley sounds like a good move.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:15 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Even though Peverley is a cap dump, he has the ability to push Berglund down to the 3rd line. If Peverley does work out, he could be the player to push Berglund to the next level.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:13 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Blues do not need another 2nd, or 3rd line Center. Blues need a 1st line Center, please make a note of it.
Blues need a center. A first line guy to push Backes and Berglund fown is ideal, but not very realistic. A second line center to push Berglund down would bethe next best thing. But I, and others think the Blues really need to get a center this off season.

Think of the impact that Arnott had two seasons ago. That is the sort of depth signing I think the Blues need to acquire at a minimum in my opinion. Peverly has the added bonus of Cup finals experience. He is good defensively, and already plays in a similar system. The Blues could do a lot worse than Peverly this off-season.

Is he my first choice? No. But he is a realistic option that, in my opinion would be an adequate acquisition for the Blues needs.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Even though Peverley is a cap dump, he has the ability to push Berglund down to the 3rd line. If Peverley does work out, he could be the player to push Berglund to the next level.
I see something like this as the most realistic move for Armstrong to make. People will fantasize about getting an established #1C, but the cost would be exorbitant and I don't really believe there is a win/win trade out there right now. Something like Peverley is doable.

I also agree that Backes can stay on the top line if the 2nd line is a dangerous threat. Either Berglund elevates his play, or slides down to the 3rd line. Sobotka is a utility guy, but I have to shake my head at the folks forecasting him as the 3C out of camp. He may serve some time there, but the team is better when he's moving up due to injury as a depth versatility player.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Dr Quincy

As I said in another thread:

1) Rightly or wrongly, the front office loves Peverly. If it comes down to letting Horton walk or trading Peverly, they'll do the latter, but they won't like it. Plus, I believe he has at least a limited NTC

2) I'm not sure you guys really want him. He hasn't played that much C for us and really isn't that good when he does. Not a good play maker, not too good defensively. He's fast. Other than that I don't see 1 other "plus" asset he has.

Don't think B's deal him for Kurker, just doesn't help Boston at all, except financially, and I think there are other ways to take care of that, and not really the player STL needs. But like I said, if it comes down to Pevs or Horton, I guess I'd do this.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

1) Rightly or wrongly, the front office loves Peverly. If it comes down to letting Horton walk or trading Peverly, they'll do the latter, but they won't like it. Plus, I believe he has at least a limited NTC

2) I'm not sure you guys really want him. He hasn't played that much C for us and really isn't that good when he does. Not a good play maker, not too good defensively. He's fast. Other than that I don't see 1 other "plus" asset he has.

Don't think B's deal him for Kurker, just doesn't help Boston at all, except financially, and I think there are other ways to take care of that, and not really the player STL needs. But like I said, if it comes down to Pevs or Horton, I guess I'd do this.
This is what I thought. He didn't strike me as a guy who fits the profile of what we're looking for.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:00 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
Would St. Louis give up their 2013 2nd round pick instead?
Buffalo owns that pick already via Leopold trade.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Buffalo owns that pick already via Leopold trade.
We have Ottawa's...

Old
06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:

Good to know, thanks.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

I'm not sure why you're selling Peverley short. He's good defensively, forechecks well and is above average in the face off dot. He regularly PK's for us and has been steady since he's arrived in Boston. He might not be the ideal 2nd line center, but he still provides value with his versatility, experience, amongst his other skills.

We wouldn't even consider trading him if it wasn't for of Cap issues. Kelly is probably in the same boat.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'm not sure why you're selling Peverley short. He's good defensively, forechecks well and is above average in the face off dot. He regularly PK's for us and has been steady since he's arrived in Boston. He might not be the ideal 2nd line center, but he still provides value with his versatility, experience, amongst his other skills.
All that is true, but I can see his main point. For a team like St. Louis that is looking for a standout guy to come in a play the center position, Peverley falls short. If he can get back to his form before this season, though, I think he's far more valuable and would bring a better return than he is going to get this offseason.

Which sucks because we don't have the cap space to hold onto him for another half season and wait for that deal to come.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
All that is true, but I can see his main point. For a team like St. Louis that is looking for a standout guy to come in a play the center position, Peverley falls short. If he can get back to his form before this season, though, I think he's far more valuable and would bring a better return than he is going to get this offseason.

Which sucks because we don't have the cap space to hold onto him for another half season and wait for that deal to come.
If they're expecting a standout guy to come in then yes Peverley isn't that guy. St.Louis is also not going to find a better option for the price they'd be willing to give up either (not to mention salary). Peverley's value is in the 2nd round/good prospect range. If they want that standout it will cost a lot more than that.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Is Peverley good enough to be a full-time 2nd/3rd line center? Or is he just a winger at this point?

Old
06-21-2013, 05:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Is Peverley good enough to be a full-time 2nd/3rd line center? Or is he just a winger at this point?
He's good enough to play centre for sure we just haven't needed him to.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
He's versatile, so he can also play on the wing. He hasn't had many looks at C in boston because of Krejci, Bergeron and Kelly holding down those spots. Even Seguin plays the wing because of the depth at C. Peverley can handle 3rd line C. I wouldn't really put him as a 2nd line C unless you are in a pinch.

Old
06-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
2nd line? No. 3rd? Yes but only if a team has other bigger centers who can match up against big offensive lines (which I guess STL has with Backes).

I didn't intend to make him sound useless, but he's more of a utility guy to me. Play him at 3rd line C or W, when injuries occur move him up to 2nd line for short stints. Put him on 2nd unit pk and 2nd unit pp from time to time...he's a bit of a swiss army knife and serve a lot of purposes, but he doesn't really excel at anything, and if a teams was saying "We need to upgrade at C" he's not the guy I'd recommend.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
2nd line? No. 3rd? Yes but only if a team has other bigger centers who can match up against big offensive lines (which I guess STL has with Backes).

I didn't intend to make him sound useless, but he's more of a utility guy to me. Play him at 3rd line C or W, when injuries occur move him up to 2nd line for short stints. Put him on 2nd unit pk and 2nd unit pp from time to time...he's a bit of a swiss army knife and serve a lot of purposes, but he doesn't really excel at anything, and if a teams was saying "We need to upgrade at C" he's not the guy I'd recommend.
Gotcha. We brought him up as a stop-gap if we aren't able to get a true top 6 center. He'd be an upgrade over Sobotka, and if we are able to get another center at a later point, we'd still be able to use Peverley in a different role. He'd also have a quick adjustment period since the Blues and Bruins play similar styles.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:30 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

His utility is an added bonus.

He is bigger than Sobotka, who is currently penciled in as our third line center.

He isn't our first, second, or even third choice. He is our realistic choice.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this instead of just giggling at your keyboard while 'swindling the other team.'

If Bergeron, Krecji, and Kelley are the Bruins top three centers, who plays on the fourth line normally?

Do you have any suggestions on realistic center acquisitions for a team looking for an upgrade that plays a similar style to the Bruins?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Oberyn
The Red Viper

I'm surprised at Blues fans so keen on acquiring Peverley. I personally don't think he's an upgrade on even Sobotka. We have a bunch of bottom 6 centers, adding another one doesn't solve anything. I would pass on Peverley, I don't think he's worth it at his cap hit.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:22 AM
kylegilleece

People on this thread seem to forget that Peverley has played wing as well. I know wing is not a concern right now for the Blues considering they are solid almost all the way down the lineup on the outsides.... but if he doesn't work at center like you want he can push wingers up or down, when and if he doesn't push any centers.

Edit: Did NOT see Dr. Quincy state this.... Much agreed however... carry on.

kylegilleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:24 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylegilleece View Post
People on this thread seem to forget that Peverley has played wing as well. I know wing is not a concern right now for the Blues considering they are solid almost all the way down the lineup on the outsides.... but if he doesn't work at center like you want he can push wingers up or down, when and if he doesn't push any centers.

Edit: Did NOT see Dr. Quincy state this.... Much agreed however... carry on.
It's nice, but it doesn't do anything for us. We have plenty of wing depth on the big club, and we have Jaskin and Rattie both knocking on the door.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

If Bergeron, Krecji, and Kelley are the Bruins top three centers, who plays on the fourth line normally?
Gregory Campbell plays 4th line C in Boston.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:28 AM
kylegilleece

Quote:
It's nice, but it doesn't do anything for us. We have plenty of wing depth on the big club, and we have Jaskin and Rattie both knocking on the door.
That's pretty much what I figured....... A quick side note too that C.P.R. line as your 4th is by far my favorite in the league.... Coming from a Bruins fan.

kylegilleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
His utility is an added bonus.

He is bigger than Sobotka, who is currently penciled in as our third line center.

He isn't our first, second, or even third choice. He is our realistic choice.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this instead of just giggling at your keyboard while 'swindling the other team.'

Do you have any suggestions on realistic center acquisitions for a team looking for an upgrade that plays a similar style to the Bruins?
Campbell is the 4th line C. And while Pevs is bigger than Sobotka, I'd say he is less physical (others may argue).

What about Frans Nielsen? Not sure if NYI would be opening to dealing him since they may not have a viable proven replacement yet, but like Pevs, a decent 2/3 tweener who is defensively responsible and has some offense.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
Campbell is the 4th line C. And while Pevs is bigger than Sobotka, I'd say he is less physical (others may argue).

What about Frans Nielsen? Not sure if NYI would be opening to dealing him since they may not have a viable proven replacement yet, but like Pevs, a decent 2/3 tweener who is defensively responsible and has some offense.
Yeah NYI fans don't seem open to that unfortunately.

I don't suppose Krejci for Oshie is still on the table?

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote