HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Tugnutt on Waivers

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Belgian Fan

vCash: 500
Tugnutt on Waivers

Anyone think PL will bite?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=67017

I don't think he will personally, but the opposite could just as wel be true.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
Anyone think PL will bite?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=67017

I don't think he will personally, but the opposite could just as wel be true.
Would be an interesting call. This is the point of the season where the schedule is thick and Abby will need more nights off than he's gotten to this point. Sauve has looked better of late, but how many chances will we get to pick up a seasoned vet on the cheap like this? Kind of funny, because some of us here have talked about picking up a Tugnutt-like backup for insurance, but I really never expected Tugnutt himself to be available. One tricky point is what we'd do at Hershey - send Lawson to a lower affiliate and have Budaj and Sauve split time? I guess that would be a kick in the ass to Budaj, could make for some spirited competition.

I know one thing, Tugnutt has the worst name in the league.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
i say pick him up. go with three goalies or if you can send sauve to hershey.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:30 AM
nathan

I don't think PL will go for it. It's too early right now and Sauve is finding his groove so to speak.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:51 AM
IceBagadonuts

Tugs

I agree. Ol' Tugs is kinda interesting.

The main thing that concerns me is his Save % -- down in the .890 range the past 2 years. While the wheels have kinda fallen off in Dallas, they ain't a bad team defensively. So, the question here is: does he have much left in the tank, reactions/fast muscle-twitch wise? Enough to come into a playoff game pressure situation and stand on his head?

He's only appeared in 5 games this year (around 180 minutes total) so it's possible he just needs to shake off the rust and get fired up for one last charge at the Cup.

His experience could be a comfort to Aebby, and he wouldn't be a "threat" to Aebby, either. More like a big-brother/player-coach.

I say let Tugnutt go down to the AHL for a few weeks, scout him closely, and see what he's got left. He could be a bargain "spare tire"... if he's (a) motivated and (b) has enough left.

Sending Sauve down to Hershey is a mixed bag. He does need more work than he's getting right now, but he'd likely take it as a slap-down. That's just a little coaching issue. However, while Budaj might also take up the challenge, he is already being fiercely challenged by the surprising Tom Lawson.

It'd be a dis-incentivizing shame to send Lawson down to the ECHL for the rest of the season. Perhaps the Avs/Bears could work out some "loan" agreement with another AHL team for Lawson (like Dallas has with the Bears' Gavin Morgan). In a normal year, Lawson would have some trade value. But this year? Not much.

That leads to the REAL issue: in a glutted goalie market, does Lacroix gamble and wait to see who will ALSO be available... who'd also come cheap... be a good "fit"... and be a better (lower) risk?

Old
01-07-2004, 10:15 AM
hoserthehorrible

Looks like Tugnutt cleared waivers and has been sent down to the minors.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible
Looks like Tugnutt cleared waivers and has been sent down to the minors.
Thinking about it, this was probably not the only chance to acquire him cheaply, so we may come back to this later.

Closed Thread