HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2013, 08:32 AM
  #451
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,484
vCash: 500
I'm less worried about Fast and Lindberg's ability to adapt to the NHL. Both are heady players who don't rely on the size of the rink to make their contributions. When you watch them play, they're always moving towards the net. They get to the dirty areas. The rink size becomes an issue when you have smaller players (or large ones) who like to extend the game east/west and use the width of the rink to create plays. These are straight-ahead guys who play a North/South kind of game.

I don't think Lindberg is going to win the Calder, or be a 50 point player out of the gate. However, I think he can be a viable 3rd line center who is solid defensively, good in the dot, and chips in 25 points.

Fast has always reminded me of Patric Hornqvist mixed with a little Carl Hagelin. Great in the slot and around the net, but can also make plays in open ice and pass the puck quite well. I think he'll see a decent amount of time in the AHL before being called up.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 08:56 AM
  #452
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  #453
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.
Nash can always play the left side if everything magically works out and we suddenly have a bunch of scorers on the wings. It'd be a good problem to have.

Zil is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
  #454
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 500
Nash scored like all but one of his goals on the right side. Why is he moving to the left? It's obvious he likes the right side better.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
  #455
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.
Fast and Miller can, and have played the LW. Miller actually plays all three forward positions. Thomas' go-to move is a toe-drag to the inside coming down his strong wing. I think he's likely to remain on the RW at even strength, but see PP time on the left circle. But ya never know.

Nash is ultra-effective on his off wing because he can shield the puck better when he's driving to the net. He just seems more comfortable there. Gaborik is a shooter first and foremost, so putting his forehand on the outside of the ice instead of on the inside really screwed him up.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  #456
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Fast and Miller can, and have played the LW. Miller actually plays all three forward positions. Thomas' go-to move is a toe-drag to the inside coming down his strong wing. I think he's likely to remain on the RW at even strength, but see PP time on the left circle. But ya never know.

Nash is ultra-effective on his off wing because he can shield the puck better when he's driving to the net. He just seems more comfortable there. Gaborik is a shooter first and foremost, so putting his forehand on the outside of the ice instead of on the inside really screwed him up.
Zuccarello, Hagelin and Fast can all play on their off-wings. Thomas is a RW. Hrivik I believe can play both as well. Kreider is a LW.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
  #457
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
Boston is an interesting team. They play a lot of left handed shooters on the left wing and a lot of right handed shooters on the right. That might be part of the reason why they're so effective digging on the boards.

stan the caddy is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
  #458
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
im just comparing style of play, not necessarily what they will become...i feel th need to make that caveat since i know several ppl loved to jump all over you just for brining up comparisons.

"he skates like bure"
"did you just compare him to bure?!.."

"yeah....in how he skates...that it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
What I meant by the comparisons was more playing style.

I've long since given up on comparisons unless I go into extreme detail what I mean and repeat my point a few times using different words so that people grasp it.

If you say, "the car is the same color blue as the sky", I promise you the response will be, "you are an idiot. your car is like the sky? so it is up in the air? it has clouds?"

Beacon is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 12:04 PM
  #459
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.

Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

Beacon is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 03:26 PM
  #460
BLOCKERSAVE
Registered User
 
BLOCKERSAVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham
Way too many rookies in the line up.

BLOCKERSAVE is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:24 PM
  #461
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham
Not at all saying they'll all make it this year, hence the "in the future". I don't think CT or Fast will be in the bigs this year. I do feel, however, everyone but CT has at least an 85% chance of making the show.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:53 PM
  #462
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham
That top line will get abused in their own zone. Stepan and Nash need to play together, I think they showed enough chemistry last year. Brassard needs defensively reliable wingers. The whole 3rd line are rookies, and all may need time/more time in the A along with Miller. Dorsett is a RW.

N9Y4R is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:54 PM
  #463
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,542
vCash: 500
Question about a bit of a dark horse candidate for a rookie. What's the report on Kyle Jean's season? Any indication he could compete for a job with the big club?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
  #464
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
I was under the impression he under impressed after a good camp and strong start. Really came back down to earth.

N9Y4R is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 08:55 PM
  #465
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Nash scored like all but one of his goals on the right side. Why is he moving to the left? It's obvious he likes the right side better.
This isn't that complicated:

A) This only happens in the scenario where all of the aforementioned prospects make it.

B) Nash has spent a substantial portion of his career playing LW. Unlike Gaborik, Nash can be effective on either side.

Zil is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
  #466
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
I was under the impression he under impressed after a good camp and strong start. Really came back down to earth.
This happens regularly with players coming from college. He ran out of gas.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 09:29 PM
  #467
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
This isn't that complicated:

A) This only happens in the scenario where all of the aforementioned prospects make it.

B) Nash has spent a substantial portion of his career playing LW. Unlike Gaborik, Nash can be effective on either side.
Right. He just so happens to be more effective on the right side.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
  #468
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,117
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
This happens regularly with players coming from college. He ran out of gas.
I've seen a few people speculate that was the problem, but I'm not so sure. He had nine points his first seven games, and then just 14 his final 66. He basically had three good weeks before falling off a cliff! That's awfully quick for a guy to be hitting the wall.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:37 PM
  #469
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
I was under the impression he under impressed after a good camp and strong start. Really came back down to earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
This happens regularly with players coming from college. He ran out of gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've seen a few people speculate that was the problem, but I'm not so sure. He had nine points his first seven games, and then just 14 his final 66. He basically had three good weeks before falling off a cliff! That's awfully quick for a guy to be hitting the wall.
Do you guys get the feeling he could develop into an NHLer or no?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:44 PM
  #470
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Do you guys get the feeling he could develop into an NHLer or no?
It's possible. He skates well for his size. Needs to work on his consistency

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:45 PM
  #471
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Question about a bit of a dark horse candidate for a rookie. What's the report on Kyle Jean's season? Any indication he could compete for a job with the big club?
He had a hot start, but was a borderline ECHLer towards the end. Won't compete for an NHL spot, not even close.

Beacon is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 02:14 AM
  #472
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Right. He just so happens to be more effective on the right side.
According to what? Do you have numbers to back that up, or are you just making that claim based on the fact that he did well there last year?

Zil is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 06:45 AM
  #473
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Nash can always play the left side if everything magically works out and we suddenly have a bunch of scorers on the wings. It'd be a good problem to have.
I highly doubt any (def not all) of these guys will ever compare to Rick Nash offensively. I don't know that any competent coach is going to move his best scorer out of his position to accommodate others.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 08:50 AM
  #474
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
According to what? Do you have numbers to back that up, or are you just making that claim based on the fact that he did well there last year?
I'm considering the fact that basically all of his goals were scored from the right side of the net.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 09:40 AM
  #475
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I highly doubt any (def not all) of these guys will ever compare to Rick Nash offensively. I don't know that any competent coach is going to move his best scorer out of his position to accommodate others.
His position is winger. He has played a ton on both sides in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I'm considering the fact that basically all of his goals were scored from the right side of the net.
Again, do you have actual numbers to back that up? Second, if so is that causation or is that correlation? Torts played him on the right side this year so that's where he scored goals. Given the amount of time he has spent on the left side in his career, I don't see any reason why he also couldn't perform there if needed.

Just because Torts didn't use him there last season doesn't mean it's not an option. I don't understand why Miller is being talked about as a right wing though when they've been bringing him along as a center. Fast can also play either side.


Last edited by Zil: 06-22-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Zil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.