HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang for Dougie Hamilton + 3rd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2013, 06:05 AM
  #126
Will Hunting
Registered User
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Yes, understand why Letang isnīt a good fit for the Bruins (for multiple reasons). But Bruins fans should understand that this proposed value is absolutely horrific for Pittsburgh. Horrible. You donīt trade young Norris nominee PPG D (still with one year left for 3.5M) for just one very solid PROSPECT... Shero should get doubled value for Tang if he really is traded from the other teams.

Trade between BOS & PIT makes absolutely no sense. And again, itīs not like signing Letang for letīs say 7 or even 7.5M per would completely kill the Pens because there is still a possibility of Fleuryīs buyout and new Letangīs cap hit would count from 2014/2015 where the cap should go up.. Itīs different than Staalīs case where we knew for sure that itīs his last year in the Burgh.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:05 AM
  #127
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Why the hell was he playing on his off side with another OFD who errs on the side of getting in the play?
Niskanen prefers the off side. And to call him an OFD is a joke. The kid handles the puck like a grenade and his shot is worse than either Murray's or Engelland's. His only saving grace in this department is that he can skate.

To answer your question though, its because Dan Bylsma is a bad coach. It was a bad pair every single time it was put together this season and last.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:19 AM
  #128
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Yes, understand why Letang isnīt a good fit for the Bruins (for multiple reasons). But Bruins fans should understand that this proposed value is absolutely horrific for Pittsburgh. Horrible. You donīt trade young Norris nominee PPG D (still with one year left for 3.5M) for just one very solid PROSPECT... Shero should get doubled value for Tang if he really is traded from the other teams.

Trade between BOS & PIT makes absolutely no sense. And again, itīs not like signing Letang for letīs say 7 or even 7.5M per would completely kill the Pens because there is still a possibility of Fleuryīs buyout and new Letangīs cap hit would count from 2014/2015 where the cap should go up.. Itīs different than Staalīs case where we knew for sure that itīs his last year in the Burgh.
I still don't think that deal is even close to as bad as you make it out to be. Didn't you say it was something like the worst deal you have seen in years?

Hamilton stands a good chance to be every bit the player Letang is and there are extenuating circumstances in this case, Letang will be an UFA in one year so that may be all you are getting out of this deal. He will get somewhere around $8 million or maybe even more depending on if he goes to UFA and the Bruins can't afford to pay him that. This deal is for one year of Letang and 2 years of Hamilton on his entry level deal plus whatever he signs for when he becomes a RFA. This could be 10 years of Hamilton for one year of Letang, then it becomes a great deal for Pittsburgh and horrible for Boston.

Sure, the Penguins can keep Letang at $8 million because the only players they have signed when Letang's contract is up are Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Bennett, Martin, and Fleury. You add in Letang at $8 million and they only have $24 million to sign 16 players. I am sure they will re-sign Sutter at around $4 million so that leaves $20 million for 15 players. Despres will probably get re-signed around $3-4 million if he turns out like they think he will now we are down to $16 million for 14 players. If they want a good winger for Crosby that will cost around $6 million and we are down to $10 million for 13 players so that means over half the team will be making about league minimum and will be 4th line quality players except for whatever players they have on entry level deals.

The Penguins have a huge problem, they can't have 3 players making over $8 million without sacrificing somewhere else.

If the Penguins were to trade Letang it makes a lot of sense to me that they would look for a cheap replacement that has the same kind of potential.

Please don't mistake that I am saying this is a great deal for the Penguins, I am just saying it isn't as bad as you made it out to be.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:32 AM
  #129
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
I wish we could just close this thread.

A. theres no ****ing chance in the world that the Pens would trade a 26 yr old kid whos up for the norris to their only real rival in the East, for a good prospect who "might" become really good one day, or might not.

B. All this thread really seems to be here for is so that Bruins fans can come in and take pot shots at Letang because he happened to not play well vs the B's in round 3. Despite the fact that he was still a top 3 dman in the league this year they somehow think he couldnt improve their team and isn't worth legit $ or a pretty good prospect.


Last edited by spiny norman: 06-22-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: use the filter
Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
  #130
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,197
vCash: 13357
Hamilton for Letang is a good basis for a trade if the latter is no longer in Pittsburgh's future. However, he will cost a lot more than just Hamilton. I wager another offensive forward prospect, as the Pens lack them, plus a first.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:07 AM
  #131
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Hamilton for Letang is a good basis for a trade if the latter is no longer in Pittsburgh's future. However, he will cost a lot more than just Hamilton. I wager another offensive forward prospect, as the Pens lack them, plus a first.
With the first being 29th or 30th, it would need to be a damn good forward prospect.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:11 AM
  #132
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 69,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Hamilton for Letang is a good basis for a trade if the latter is no longer in Pittsburgh's future. However, he will cost a lot more than just Hamilton. I wager another offensive forward prospect, as the Pens lack them, plus a first.
Hamilton + Subban + pick

But I've no idea what Subban's potential is, any idea?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  #133
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,696
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh would be better off trading for someone like Yandle.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  #134
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Hamilton may become a premier defenseman in this league. But he's not there now, and likely won't be for a few years. Letang's there. Right now. There's no way the difference between Letang and Hamilton is a 3rd round pick. I don't care what the disparity in paychecks is right now.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  #135
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Hamilton may become a premier defenseman in this league. But he's not there now, and likely won't be for a few years. Letang's there. Right now. There's no way the difference between Letang and Hamilton is a 3rd round pick. I don't care what the disparity in paychecks is right now.
Glad somebody recognizes this.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:24 AM
  #136
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Hamilton may become a premier defenseman in this league. But he's not there now, and likely won't be for a few years. Letang's there. Right now. There's no way the difference between Letang and Hamilton is a 3rd round pick. I don't care what the disparity in paychecks is right now.
And where is that ? Guys a joke in his own end you can keep his offence, I will just wait until Hamilton develops into the D-man most experts expect him to become.

50-60 point guy that will shut down the other teams top players AND run your pp. Letang = power play one trick pony, and he is what 5 years older than Dougie.

Im a homer I know but I would be very hesitant to even do a one for one never mind adding to it.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
  #137
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
And where is that ? Guys a joke in his own end you can keep his offence, I will just wait until Hamilton develops into the D-man most experts expect him to become.

50-60 point guy that will shut down the other teams top players AND run your pp. Letang = power play one trick pony, and he is what 5 years older than Dougie.

Im a homer I know but I would be very hesitant to even do a one for one never mind adding to it.
Letang is light years ahead of Hamilton in his own end, please.

Hamilton struggled in his own end this season and really needs to get stronger.

Hamilton is a good three or four years from even getting into the conversation of being an elite blueliner, IF he doesn't hit the same kind of slump like Myers did.

You don't trade a Norris candidate for a prospect, even one with the potential of Hamilton.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
  #138
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Hamilton for Letang is a good basis for a trade if the latter is no longer in Pittsburgh's future. However, he will cost a lot more than just Hamilton. I wager another offensive forward prospect, as the Pens lack them, plus a first.
Maybe in EA Sports NHL 2013 it is.

In the NHL where there is a salary cap, and Boston is basically pushing against it, trading for a 6 million dollar defenseman this offseason just makes absolutely no sense at all.

As it is Boston is likely going to have to deal, not resign or buyout players who have played a critical role on the team.

if the Bruins were to move Hamilton for Letang, they would probably have to play 4 rookies in their top 9 forwards, just to afford him.

the teams are a terrible fit for a deal, and it is impossible to come up with one that makes any sense for boston

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:17 AM
  #139
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
I wish we could just close this thread.

A. theres no ****ing chance in the world that the Pens would trade a 26 yr old kid whos up for the norris to their only real rival in the East, for a good prospect who "might" become really good one day, or might not.

B. All this thread really seems to be here for is so that Bruins fans can come in and take pot shots at Letang because he happened to not play well vs the B's in round 3. Despite the fact that he was still a top 3 dman in the league this year they somehow think he couldnt improve their team and isn't worth legit $ or a pretty good prospect.
Most of the thread I've read has been Pittsburgh fans claiming that, but most of the complaints I've heard were cap hit related. Most Bruins fans know Letang's skill. Most Bruins fans reasonably know Letang's price tag beyond next season is not going to fit. The same reason the Penguins are even considering moving him.

What Pittsburgh wants for him, is not what Boston is gonna give up. Another team, that realistically will want to re-sign him long term, and devote the cap space can have him. Or Pittsburgh keeps him, and makes another run with their Norris candidate next season and then he walks.

To put this very simple: Letangs value to a team willing to re-sign him long term > Letangs value to a either Pittsburgh or Boston.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.