HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Old
06-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
If Bryz ends up coming back next season, my excitement and anticipation for the season is going to be really diminished.
That sucks. No matter what, I still get pumped to see what the new year brings no matter what. You just never know what is going to happen. Here's hoping things work out for you.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
kicksave27

If they don't "need" the money to spend to the cap like homer always does, then I'd keep bryz. He's not what he was paid to be, but he's still better than boosh or MFL as a backup, or a tandem really. Use the buyout next summer and give the money to giroux.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
Ok name some worse flyers goal-tenders I'd like to.see your list
Well, we could go pure numbers: in 425 NHL games played, Bryzgalov has a 2.55 GAA, a .913 SV% and 30 shutouts.
  • Stephane Beauregard (90 games; 12 on Flyers) 3.65 / .879 / 2
  • Robert Esche (186 games; 128 on Flyers) 2.75 / .899 / 10
  • Bob Froese (242 games; 144 with Flyers) 3.10 / .889 / 13
  • Jeff Hackett (500 games; 27 with Flyers) 2.90 / .902 / 26
  • Ron Hextall (608 games; 489 with Flyers) 2.97 / .895 / 23
... etc.

But that would be silly, as I think most would trade Bryzgalov in a microsecond for Hextall in his prime.

The worst optically (ie, horrendous beyond the numbers) would be:
  • Michael Leighton
  • Maxime Ouellet (I include him here because of how much of a bust he became)
  • Darren Jensen (bad, bad memories of watching him play in the mid-80s)
  • Tommy Soderstrom (I just wasn't a fan of his style)
  • Froese (see above)
  • Beauregard (ibid)
  • Esche (wasn't ever a fan of his, and he got beaten up by Patrick Lalime!)

Plus, you have goalies playing out their careers like Sean Burke, Vanbiesbrouck, Resch and even Michel Larocque.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
MsWoof

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

3 teams are in the running for Jonathan Bernier. Kings are going to take the best offer from Maple Leafs, Flyers or Wild. #RDS

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
JVR21
G

At this point it seems we're either going to trade for Bernier or just ride Bryz out for another year. I hope we don't overpay.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:04 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Well, we could go pure numbers: in 425 NHL games played, Bryzgalov has a 2.55 GAA, a .913 SV% and 30 shutouts.
... etc.

But that would be silly, as I think most would trade Bryzgalov in a microsecond for Hextall in his prime.

• Michael Leighton
  • Froese (see above)
  • Beauregard (ibid)

Plus, you have goalies playing out their careers like Sean Burke, Vanbiesbrouck, Resch and even Michel Larocque.
Esche and leighton won us playoff series not just 1 if you didn't think hextall was a good goalie you sir are a complete idiot idc if they ban me for saying that esche was a great goalie got screwed over by a horrible situation, hackett yeah idk what the hell we thought with that Burke and van veimsbroki know I spelled that wrong but they played pretty damn decent at times really good bryz has just been God awful none of those guys have let in that many soft goals in their careers!! (Exaggeration of course but still) I'm just frustrated with the fact his cap hit is so high and they know they can get a goalie to play just as bad if not better for about 4.8 million less a year

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:07 PM
kelmitchell

Sorry auto correct problems lol so called smart phone ^^

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:47 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Esche and leighton won us playoff series not just 1 if you didn't think hextall was a good goalie you sir are a complete idiot idc if they ban me for saying that esche was a great goalie got screwed over by a horrible situation, hackett yeah idk what the hell we thought with that Burke and van veimsbroki know I spelled that wrong but they played pretty damn decent at times really good bryz has just been God awful none of those guys have let in that many soft goals in their careers!! (Exaggeration of course but still) I'm just frustrated with the fact his cap hit is so high and they know they can get a goalie to play just as bad if not better for about 4.8 million less a year
Re: Hextall, I was trying (and probably failed) to show that the numbers don't give a full picture. He is numerically worse over his career. I should have typed "most, including me, would trade Bryzgalov in a microsecond for Hextall in his prime."

And Leighton won 1.5 series, with an asterisk on the series against Montreal, who were about as dominated in all facets of the game as a 3rd-round team gets. Leighton got lit up in the one game where the Flyers eased up on the gas pedal.

There is, however, a pretty good argument that Bryzgalov is possibly the worst goalie for his cap hit. However, that reduces the field considerably to goalies under the cap system (amazing statement of the obvious, there!).

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
esche was a great goalie got screwed over by a horrible situation
He must have gotten screwed over by 30 of them. He's so "great" that he hasn't been able to crack a single NHL lineup in the last six years...

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
At this point it seems we're either going to trade for Bernier or just ride Bryz out for another year. I hope we don't overpay.
I really hope Homer doesn't pull the trigger on this. It's gonna cost way more then any of us would like, I guarantee that.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I really hope Homer doesn't pull the trigger on this. It's gonna cost way more then any of us would like, I guarantee that.
I rather them just cut Bryz. They save some money on the buyout and don't run the risk of him getting hurt and not being able to buy him out next summer.

If the cost for Bernier is too high than sign a veteran goalie who could split time with Mason like Thomas, Emery, Luongo (if he gets bought-out) etc.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:12 PM
potsiev2

Quote:
... etc.

• Michael Leighton
  • Froese (see above)
  • Beauregard (ibid)

tom barrasso 3.24... .892
felix potvin 2.76... .905
grant fuhr 3.38... .887
bill ranford 3.44... .888
patrick roy 2.54... .912

back before you watched hockey it was a different game... for you to say hextall was one of the worst is an embarrassment as a flyers fan... late in hextalls career he dealt with back issues along with hamstring issues but he was still a formidable goalie... hextall had the best stick in the game and changed the way the position was played... robert esche also played 18 games for us in the 04 playoffs which is more games then bryzgalov has ever played in his playoff career

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:22 PM
spudnick

Quote:
In all honesty, if gettin rid of Bryz means overpaying for Bernier then I say go for it (to a certain extent)

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Re: Hextall, I was trying (and probably failed) to show that the numbers don't give a full picture. He is numerically worse over his career. I should have typed "most, including me, would trade Bryzgalov in a microsecond for Hextall in his prime."

And Leighton won 1.5 series, with an asterisk on the series against Montreal, who were about as dominated in all facets of the game as a 3rd-round team gets. Leighton got lit up in the one game where the Flyers eased up on the gas pedal.

There is, however, a pretty good argument that Bryzgalov is possibly the worst goalie for his cap hit. However, that reduces the field considerably to goalies under the cap system (amazing statement of the obvious, there!).
With Hextall's numbers, you have to compare his performance with that of his peers. Even Roy would have a bad save percentage nowadays at .900. Goaltending has changed so much since then for a variety of reasons. Bryzgalov, though, relative to his peers, is poopy. As many noted linguists would say.

06-22-2013, 04:07 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
In all honesty, if gettin rid of Bryz means overpaying for Bernier then I say go for it (to a certain extent)
This makes no sense to me. Sure keeping Bryz for the extra yr you run the risk of him getting injured but there are alternatives that would see Bryz amnestied and the Flyers not overpay for another question mark goalie. Better to play it safe go the vet approach then overpay.

Old
06-22-2013, 04:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Bryzgalov.html

Quote:
Well, Bryzgalov has made noises that he does not like it in Philadelphia. Some Flyers said Bryzgalov bragged to teammates he might get bought out after the season.

"It's OK, guys," Bryzgalov said, according to a teammate, speaking on a condition of anonymity. "I will get bought out. I will get paid for this deal and I will get paid double to play for a new team somewhere else."
I don't know who Frank's butt buddy on the Flyers is, or if he's just making this **** up. Either way, I have a REALLY hard time believing anyone would say something like that to a teammate, especially after the other fiasco with the napping.

Thoughts? Other than Frank Seravalli hates Ilya Bryzgalov?

06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post

I don't know who Frank's butt buddy on the Flyers is, or if he's just making this **** up. Either way, I have a REALLY hard time believing anyone would say something like that to a teammate, especially after the other fiasco with the napping.

Frank's source is his ***.

Old
06-22-2013, 04:12 PM
SuchySays

oh god. Seravalli is the worst

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Seriously. How is this allowed to be published?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:17 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:

So... The beat writers keep drumming up the "hate" for Bryz?

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Seriously. How is this allowed to be published?
It's been going on for years now, the papers in this area simply have no standards.

I'm surprised a reporter hasn't been choked out by a player yet.

Old
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Also, can someone please explain to me this quote from Seravalli's twitter?

Quote:
Winter also says but doesn't say basically is that Flyers' defense sucks.
I have no idea what "says but doesn't say" means - other than "well he didn't say it but I KNOW IT BECAUSE F YOU"..

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Also, can someone please explain to me this quote from Seravalli's twitter?

I have no idea what "says but doesn't say" means - other than "well he didn't say it but I KNOW IT BECAUSE F YOU"..
I think he was trying to say that Winter implied it but I think implied is too big a word for him so he went with the "says but doesn't say".

Needless to say I don't think the Flyers have loud mouths that would say all that to media after what happened earlier this year.

This guy is a joke and so are the sports writers in the town in general but this is just another level bad.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:12 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
This makes no sense to me. Sure keeping Bryz for the extra yr you run the risk of him getting injured but there are alternatives that would see Bryz amnestied and the Flyers not overpay for another question mark goalie. Better to play it safe go the vet approach then overpay.
Your making too much sense for this forum. The hatred for bryzgalov has grown to epic proportions mostly to feed peoples need for an excuse in a box with a pretty bow on it so they don't have to think too hard. We gutted this team and brought in young ins to learn a new system and gain NHL experience at the same time. It just wasnt accepted. people forget the team that missed the playoffs and came in dead last had richards and carter on it. these things take patience. regardless of whether he's gonna get bought out next year i'd like to give him the third year now that this teams been together for a couple years. his confidence wavered with the lack of forward defensive support and bad breakout execution. then mason comes in desperate for his life and plays out of his mind. he might be the answer but id rather keep him and bryz for this season than overpay for bernier who never looked as good as mason did during his best games. you know its taking more than read and a pick to get him which is just another setback. patience.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

don't want to overpay for an unproven goalie, stay away from Bernier please

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote