HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canadiens had they signed Shanahan.

Old
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
The Canadiens had they signed Shanahan.

Brendan Shanahan is having an exceptional season with the Rangers and would have been the perfect fit with Kovalev. Its very unfortunate he wanted more money and that he did not sign here, quite a bargain for New York as well with the amount he signed. I was afraid he was washed up, well i know i know its another WHAT IF and a whiney thread but I just think this would have made the Canadiens over the top.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
oh well.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Brendan Shanahan is having an exceptional season with the Rangers and would have been the perfect fit with Kovalev. Its very unfortunate he wanted more money and that he did not sign here, quite a bargain for New York as well with the amount he signed. I was afraid he was washed up, well i know i know its another WHAT IF and a whiney thread but I just think this would have made the Canadiens over the top.
We don't have a Jagr in Montreal.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

It's the same old story with elite free agents and the Habs. A lot of big names flashed before our eyes before disappearing like shooting stars.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:43 PM
LesHabsRock

I believe Shanahan was offered more money than what the Rangers offered. He settled for less to play for the Rags. I think there are issues with the language barrier which deters players from playing in Montreal. Very sad.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Habitant#1

What if we had won the Crosby lottery?

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:46 PM
znk

It would have been a perfect fit. It really sux that his mind was set on NY.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I believe Shanahan was offered more money than what the Rangers offered. He settled for less to play for the Rags. I think there are issues with the language barrier which deters players from playing in Montreal. Very sad.
Yes, that and taxes. In addition, New York offers many lucrative opportunities for commercials and guest appearances that would have more than offset any difference in salary.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Well hes a very good all around player, if he was here Samsonov would not have been signed and Ribeiro would still be here.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Quote:
The problem with the language is with the players who have a problem playing in a city where they would have no problem living in English, but that the world perceives as being unilingual French. But they can use the language thing as a cope out instead of saying "Really, I want to play somewhere where hockey is the 3rd or 4th sport in importance so that I don't have to deal with the pressure of being somebody and can be a big fish in a small pond."

And the taxes thing? Believe me, if you don't want to pay taxes on income here, you don't. That's what accountants are for. Not a good excuse either.

I don't want somebody who can't take pressure on my team, and that is the one thing particular about the Habs, hockey is THE thing here. Saku Koivu doesn't seem to care though. Maybe he's more STRONG than many others are.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

If Koivu doesnt finish his career here, i will be truly dissapointed.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
The problem with the language is with the players who have a problem playing in a city where they would have no problem living in English, but that the world perceives as being unilingual French. But they can use the language thing as a cope out instead of saying "Really, I want to play somewhere where hockey is the 3rd or 4th sport in importance so that I don't have to deal with the pressure of being somebody and can be a big fish in a small pond."

And the taxes thing? Believe me, if you don't want to pay taxes on income here, you don't. That's what accountants are for. Not a good excuse either.

I don't want somebody who can't take pressure on my team, and that is the one thing particular about the Habs, hockey is THE thing here. Saku Koivu doesn't seem to care though. Maybe he's more STRONG than many others are.
I understand what you're saying, but it's no secret that many English-speaking Habs players in the past were criticized by media for not learning or knowing French. All players are aware if this now after years of heresay on the matter. Mike Keane, back in the day had problems and said he would not learn French and was criticized immensely for it. Koivu, last year or the year before was called out by a reported at a press conference for not knowing French. Poor Saku didn't deserve that. Although in most cases it's one reporter or one moron that causes these problems for our players.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Kirk Muller*

Shanahan never said anything about language, taxes or pressure. So please, let's not make stuff up to try to put him down.

I don't recall exactly what he said, but I think it was about New York being a better fit for his family but also because the Rangers appeared to be a more competitive team.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Shanahan never said anything about language, taxes or pressure. So please, let's not make stuff up to try to put him down.

I don't recall exactly what he said, but I think it was about New York being a better fit for his family but also because the Rangers appeared to be a more competitive team.
It was something like that, the Canadiens tried VERY hard though.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:16 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

I never said Shanahan said anything about taxes or language. I was just pointing out, in general, players are deterred by it.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
I never said Shanahan said anything about taxes or language. I was just pointing out, in general, players are deterred by it.
Yeah, it wasn't for you I said that.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
that's have absolutly nothing to do with language.......It's have something to do with Taxes

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
MacHabs93

Imagine if we traded for Luongo

BTW Shanahan's kids would have had to go to french school, had they moved here...

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
We don't have a Jagr in Montreal.
if you had seen tonight's NYR-NJ game, you'd know that Shanny didn't need Jagr at all to get his point. That shot on power play was god-like!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
that's have absolutly nothing to do with language.......It's have something to do with Taxes
You don't know that. If it was taxes alone, then no one would play for the Habs. You're naive to think language barriers won't have anything to do with a player not playing in Montreal.

Old
10-16-2006, 11:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

Shanahan was the only FA foward I wished Bob to sign.. I rather have Kostitsyn with the Habs than Samsonov.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:46 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Shanahan was the only FA foward I wished Bob to sign.. I rather have Kostitsyn with the Habs than Samsonov.
I share your setiments. Kositsyn isn't ready yet. He needs more time in Hamilton. Imagine Shanahan with Kovy and Pleks..wow! A guy like Shanahan is what that line needs, a shooter. Sammy and Kovy like to carry the puck too much. Shanny just shoots and scores.

Old
10-16-2006, 11:59 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I share your setiments. Kositsyn isn't ready yet. He needs more time in Hamilton. Imagine Shanahan with Kovy and Pleks..wow! A guy like Shanahan is what that line needs, a shooter. Sammy and Kovy like to carry the puck too much. Shanny just shoots and scores.
Exactly Shanahan is a pure goal scorer and an amazing leader.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:07 AM
bjac

I dont have a link, but I remember reading that one of the main reasons for signing with New York for less money was that he wanted to be closer to his family. And you can't really fault him, Gainey, or even Montreal for that... its a geography issue, nothing else.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:15 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I dont have a link, but I remember reading that one of the main reasons for signing with New York for less money was that he wanted to be closer to his family. And you can't really fault him, Gainey, or even Montreal for that... its a geography issue, nothing else.
Where the heck does his family live? He's from Canada and so is his family. Did he marry a girl from New York?