HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Old
06-22-2013, 09:21 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
I would recommend finding some time, perhaps a weekend, and make a trip to your nearest larger store to get fitted. Great excuse for a roadtrip! Be careful of tornadoes.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
SacredPetra

I also live in an area with no lhs, so I know what a pain it is, but its definitely worth it to find somewhere to try on skates, or even fine a decent pair online at a place that will let you make returns. I know its frowned on here, and I understand and agree with the sentiment, but maybe try in the bauers at your local shop and find a similar pair at a lower price point on line?

Have you considered the Bauer One40 shoulder pads? I had a pretty tight budget when I bought my gear in january, and Hockey Monkey had them for cheaper than the Warriors. I had really wanted those same shoulder pads, but after trying then on, I went with the Bauers because they were lighter and less bulky (it didn't hurt that they were less expensive), and I haven't felt like I'm lacking in protection.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:08 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
I also live in an area with no lhs, so I know what a pain it is, but its definitely worth it to find somewhere to try on skates, or even fine a decent pair online at a place that will let you make returns. I know its frowned on here, and I understand and agree with the sentiment, but maybe try in the bauers at your local shop and find a similar pair at a lower price point on line?

Have you considered the Bauer One40 shoulder pads? I had a pretty tight budget when I bought my gear in january, and Hockey Monkey had them for cheaper than the Warriors. I had really wanted those same shoulder pads, but after trying then on, I went with the Bauers because they were lighter and less bulky (it didn't hurt that they were less expensive), and I haven't felt like I'm lacking in protection.
On the shoulder pads, I will look a them again, but I have a broad chest, I chose the Warrior's because of the size fitting with my chest better. (at least just by looking at the sizing chart)

I haven't bought anything yet, but have just been building a cart.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:45 PM
ean

If youve never skated and are planning to buy online, id buy used.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:34 AM
stocky

Put as much money as you can afford into your skates. Bottom of the line skates are usually pretty bad. If you are a beginner to ice, I recommend something like the bauer X3.0's (I believe today's equivalent is the X50) those are the skates I have. I have gone to countless open skates and played hockey in them a dozen times. Obviously, go with a boot that fits to your foot, but I recommend somewhere in the 150 and above for a first pair.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Devil Dancer

I disagree with everyone else here for two reasons. First, if you've never played on ice before, don't sink a ton of money into equipment right away. You might not like it, you might not stick with it, and you'd be throwing money away. Second, Tron equipment has been good to me. I can't vouch for all their stuff, but I've been happy with what I have tried.

Also, my first pair of skates was a super cheap pair of bottom of the line eastons, and they were perfect for what i needed.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
SacredPetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
On the shoulder pads, I will look a them again, but I have a broad chest, I chose the Warrior's because of the size fitting with my chest better. (at least just by looking at the sizing chart)

I haven't bought anything yet, but have just been building a cart.

My bauers are bigger through the chest than the size chart would suggest. I have the womens bauers, so this may not apply to the mens, but I bought mine based on the size chart, and should be wearing a size smaller.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
JaeTM

I'm in need of a new pair of shin and elbow pads. I'm on hockey monkey and they have a pair of shin pads, the "Reebok Kinetic Fit 5K" for only $30. I only play once a week, so I'm not looking for top of the line stuff. Then again, I've been playing my whole life, so I'm not looking for anything cheap and cheesy.

Just trying to get an idea if these are any good, or if there's any other legit deals on other websites.

Also, the only available size they have is 16in for that pad. I have no idea what my size would be. I'm about 6'0" and 180 lbs if that matters.

Thanks.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
AIREAYE

You're in LI? Any local shops you can buy from? I know the Islanders run a couple.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You're in LI? Any local shops you can buy from? I know the Islanders run a couple.
Yeah there are, but they're pretty damn expensive. I know when I bought my stick, I got it off HM and it was $75. The store by me was selling it for $130.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
AIREAYE

I would call your local and outline your needs and price range. See if they have anything and what sizes they have. You could wear anything from 15" to 17" based on your height alone and how you prefer to wear your shins.

Old
09-17-2013, 12:10 AM
3koma

hi would like to have advise.
i am 5'7 tall and weigh 81kg, waist around 34 inches, would like to switch my Reebok 9K size M to Bauer Total one nxg hockey pants which are girdle + shell.
I do have big butt and thigh, my 9K size should be fine, just a bit thigh for my waist.
I do trick with Bauer one time, XXX hockey pants, i already order size L, but they still too small for me, so due to XXX pants like girdle type pants, do i need to order one size up -- Large or stay in Medium? Thank you very much

Cheung
(Hong Kong)

3koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:32 PM
JoeCool16

Hopefully one of our "bigger" board members can contribute here who has experience with girdles, but from what I know of girdles, they're fairly form-fitting. I'm about the same height as you and I wear a senior small, so the thought of wearing a senior large is pretty crazy for me, in terms of length. Although the large may fit your waist well, won't it come down really far on your knees? Maybe girdles aren't the best way to go for you, and you should stick with hockey pants?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
hi would like to have advise.
i am 5'7 tall and weigh 81kg, waist around 34 inches, would like to switch my Reebok 9K size M to Bauer Total one nxg hockey pants which are girdle + shell.
I do have big butt and thigh, my 9K size should be fine, just a bit thigh for my waist.
I do trick with Bauer one time, XXX hockey pants, i already order size L, but they still too small for me, so due to XXX pants like girdle type pants, do i need to order one size up -- Large or stay in Medium? Thank you very much

Cheung
(Hong Kong)
I've been playing in a girdle for about 10 years. One word of advice would be not to buy the ones that velcro together. The pieces start stretching out and it becomes more of a hassel than it's worth. Pants definitely don't fit like girdles. Plus from experience since they are form fitting so it's usually best to get them a little tight and to have them break in rather than them be baggy on you.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:00 PM
doobie604

any recommendation for tight fitting gloves? have a pair of vapor xxv right now and I know the supreme line fits tighter but what about the other brands?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Try the Eagle Talon, also some Warrior lines feel tighter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
AIREAYE

Warrior Projekt/Koncept, Reebok KFS, Easton Stealth

Old
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
doobie604

Thanks for the quick response. Sportchek is having the friends and family sale today and tomorrow, going to check out the Warriors since they don't carry Eagle.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
gswift

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Sportchek is having the friends and family sale today and tomorrow, going to check out the Warriors since they don't carry Eagle.
If you're going to Sportchek, they have the Easton RS II gloves for $69.99

gswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Definitely try on everything. I like super tight fitting gloves and was using the Supreme line of gloves for a while and actually ended up with some Warrior Koncepts. They weren't necessarily as tight as I thought I liked, but they were just very comfortable without any play.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:06 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

While I don't use them I almost bought Eagle Tallons myself. I loved the fit, look, and feel of them. I ended up going with x60 pros instead. I have 2 pairs and I love them.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
doobie604

Thanks for all the options guys, went with Easton stealth 55s. The selection was kind of limited, none of the higher end ones were in stock so just went with what felt the best.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
JoeCool16

Hey guys,

What size would you say Jofa helmets are equivalent to? (I'm talking the Gretzky-style version). It seems to just come in JR/SR size. Is the SR about the same as a S, M, L or XL for helmets these days? I know it's a bit adjustable, but I want to make sure before I get one for stick n puck.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:00 AM
ggro

Is there any real difference between the protection offered between different kinds of glove fit? Bauer has different marketing spiel for their gloves - e.g. classic fit offers 'maximum protection', tapered fit has 'ultimate mobility', anatomical fit has 'superior coverage'. It seems to imply that the classic fit is a bit better at protecting your hands.

I know that some fits offer greater wrist mobility than others, but does this have any effect on the likelihood of wrist injuries? Would less wrist freedom equal more wrist protection? I ask this because I had to type this with my right hand - I'm pretty clumsy, I fell on my left hand (in hired gloves) in an awkward fashion and sprained my wrist. Now I'm paranoid about further wrist/hand injuries. I'll probably get some kind of wrist guard, but I'm wondering if a certain kind of glove fit would offer added protection.

ggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:44 AM
AIREAYE

Between their three, probably not anything to note. What's more important is how much coverage the glove and cuff offer; not necessarily how their fit characteristics are.