HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Old
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
Not buying out Bryz would be absolutely ridiculous. To take the chance of Bryz getting hurt and not being able to be bought out is out of the question in my book. Even if that chance of him getting injured is 0.00000001%, we should not take it. With the amount of money he is making and the amount of cap space he is taking up he should be no worse than a top 5 goalie in the league, but he cannot even prove he is a top 15 goalie. I guess we could go to a completely defensive system like Phoenix has to accommodate Bryz's inadequacies, but that is not an option for a goaltender making 5.6 against the cap. But even if we were going to a system like that we might as well bring in a bum like mike smith and pay him a fraction of what we pay Bryz and put that cap space towards other areas of our team. The fact that this is even a question to us or to management is a little scary. Is Bryz the worst goalie in the league? Of course not, but we cannot take the chance of being stuck with that contract for another 6 or 7 years even if it makes our goaltending situation a little worse for the 2013-2014 season.

Do not overpay for bernier. Sign a UFA if we have to. Just do not keep Bryz this season

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Last week the Canucks signed a goalie that you guys drafted in'08... Joacim Eriksson.

Just curious, why was he never signed by the Flyers?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Last week the Canucks signed a goalie that you guys drafted in'08... Joacim Eriksson.

Just curious, why was he never signed by the Flyers?
The Flyers figured Hovinen would be better and that his development wouldn't take as long.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:04 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Wheres BP1976 when we need him?

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
Waiting at Seravalli's doorstep.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Garbage Goal

Provided there's no definitely better upgrade out there, which there probably isn't, I wouldn't buy out Bryz. This Philly goalie carousal is ridiculous and it's time to stick with a goalie (which we didn't with Bob) so, unless it's a clear and undeniable upgrade, there's not much point to me in buying out Bryz now. See how he does next season and Mason has great rebound potential.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Provided there's no definitely better upgrade out there, which there probably isn't, I wouldn't buy out Bryz. This Philly goalie carousal is ridiculous and it's time to stick with a goalie (which we didn't with Bob) so, unless it's a clear and undeniable upgrade, there's not much point to me in buying out Bryz now. See how he does next season and Mason has great rebound potential.
I felt like this until about half-way through the season, but the guy needs to go. Even if whoever is brought in sucks. Maybe it is worse than it seems because it is sensationalized by the media perhaps, but it looks like him being there is not good for the team, and not just because of his play.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I felt like this until about half-way through the season, but the guy needs to go. Even if whoever is brought in sucks. Maybe it is worse than it seems because it is sensationalized by the media perhaps, but it looks like him being there is not good for the team, and not just because of his play.
It will get even uglier if things head south next year with him still here. I think there's 1% chance he makes it past the compliance buy-out window so why not just end it now?

I would honestly take Emery on a short term contract than go through this BS again next year.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:50 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It will get even uglier if things head south next year with him still here. I think there's 1% chance he makes it past the compliance buy-out window so why not just end it now?

I would honestly take Emery on a short term contract than go through this BS again next year.
This. Emery, Thomas, or whoever. I like Bryz the personality but he never lived up to that contract and he likely never will. Buy him out and let him go to to another team or the KHL.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Yeah, bryz has to go this offseason.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:28 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
Isn't it BP1974????

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:06 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Well, Elliotte Friedman just reported on CBC that the Flyers have the offer that the Kings like best for Bernier and that the package does not include Couturier. Sounded like the ball is in Holmgren's court on whether or not the deal is made.

06-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Well, Elliotte Friedman just reported on CBC that the Flyers have the offer that the Kings like best for Bernier and that the package does not include Couturier. Sounded like the ball is in Holmgren's court on whether or not the deal is made.
Wouldn't be the first time Homer said something then almost immediately did the opposite.

As long as it doesn't cost a lot.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Oh god. Now I'm terrified.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:47 PM
3Fs

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Bryzgalov.html

After reading this, really pissed me off. I say buy him out or sit his ass in the minors for the rest of his career.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:49 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not at that cap hit.. I honestly wouldn't want Bryz at half his current cap hit. He seems like poison in the locker room, and the goals he lets in are momentum killers. Not saying that doesn't happen with other goalies, but when its a guy you already don't like that loses you a game here and there, it builds contempt in the locker room.

Bring in someone who isn't a space case at a cap hit that doesn't come with top-5 expectations. Tim Thomas, Backstrom, Emery, I don't care. I like the idea of Bernier and Mason, but if that doesn't work out I'll take a stopgap for a couple years and see how Mason turns out. Just get rid of Bryz.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post

After reading this, really pissed me off. I say buy him out or sit his ass in the minors for the rest of his career.
I wouldn't really get pissed off over anything Frank Seravalli writes. The guys a hack but Bryz should be bought-out though.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

Bryz should be amnestied but not for this. You can't take anything this guy says seriously, he's a hack.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:29 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Maybe Flyers will buy him out with food stamps?

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:30 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

Some of those Winter quotes are ridiculous.

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/

One thing Winter admits is what almost every fan knew when Ilya signed, there were no other teams willing to pay him what he got.

Last edited by BillDineen: 06-23-2013 at 06:02 AM.
BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I wouldn't be quick to dismiss this article. I in fact think the part about what he said to his teammates is true. I don't think he's a popular guy in the locker room. Just look at his antics on the bench when he isn't starting. He doesn't even care or looks like he's engaged in the game. I'm ready for this bum to be bought out.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:45 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Some of those Winter quotes are ridiculous.

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/

One thing Winter admits is what almost every fan knew when Ilya signed, there were no other teams willing to pay him what he got.
Yet, Holmgren bid against himself and gave him all that money.

Don't blame Bryz for taking the money at all, but he definitely does not deserve it based on his play.

Quote:
****!! I am scared what the package is now. At least Couts isn't in it, but watch BSchenn be in it or our 1st.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:36 AM
FLYERSFAN18

If they say Couturier isn't part of the deal, i'm not too worried about Schenn. The organization seems to like him better and I think they would move Coutse before Schenn. I don't think either should be moved. I am more worried about the #11 pick, at least when a possible Bernier trade is being talked about

Old
06-23-2013, 08:59 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I guess Bryz's fate rests on a Bernier deal

I hope we don't have to move someone from the active roster, we don't really have anyone who can move up and play a significant role right now

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

I don't necessarily agree with that. Colorado, Washington, Tampa Bay were all in the hunt for a goalie that year and at the time Bryz was widely considered the cream of the crop. Everyone knew he was going to get paid. I doubt any of those teams would have given given him 9 years, but he was pretty much guaranteed to get over 5 mill a year.

However, it was also clear at the time that there were more goalies than there were bidders. I think a lot of people realized at the time that one decent goalie would end up being the last one standing without a home and would have had to accept a cheap deal. That ended up being Vokoun with Washington.

I think one of the things that Homer doesn't get criticized enough for (odd considering all the things he gets over criticized for) is his complete lack of patience in his approach to free agency.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote