HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carolina willing to trade down from 5th overall?

Old
06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
I think you are confused. Everything in that quote is directly from Jim Rutherfords interviews. Nothing is my interjection.

Facts = GM of Canes has stated they will trade down if they can get a top-4 D and not move down too many spots.

False statements = Draft is guaranteed to "_____" way
Gms say & do alot of things that dont make sense. However your are right, I did miss that part about Jim Rutherford. But again, doesn't mean they are going to do it. What GM openly advertises his true plans without an ulterior motive and I fail to see what Rutherfords would be there. Sackic on the other hand...

06-22-2013, 12:11 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
From everything I've read/heard from the Canes org here is what I got:

Rutherford came out and said he thought they would get a very good player at 5 and he thought their was a drop off in talent after that.

He then came out and said he wanted an NHL ready player who could come out and contribute next season.

He then said after further consultation that the draft was deeper than he originally thought and their was good players until 7th pick. He said he may trade down but not lower than 7.

Their color guy was on Edm radio and said the team desperately needs a tough defensive dman that was a left shot. He said that he thinks the team really likes Nurse but he wasn't going to be NHL ready so if they did go with Nurse they would need to trade for 1 that could play in top 4 but he didn't see one being available. He also mentioned that Nichuskin could be possible but that Rutherford has mostly avoided them in draft and they would need to be certain about players intention and desire (this was before combine).

Since then I've seen Rutherford say they are looking for top 4 dman for trade of #5 but doesn't necessarily have to be top 4 now just have potential to be one.

Based on all that I have no clue what the team will be doing. They seem to be all over the place.

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:14 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yeah, I keep forgetting that we have Stone too lol. Though reluctant because we're all high on Stone, Stone + 12th for the 5th can
work from our end.

Just FYI for Canes HFers, Stone is a RH two-way thumper who turned in a very solid rookie season on the bottom pairing - finished 2nd in goals, 2nd in hits, and 3rd in blocked shots among all Yotes blueliners. Has Top 4 upside, which he should easily reach next season.
Personally, I rather trade Gormley before Stone (mostly because of the depth on the left side). But Gormley has a higher ceiling. Also, it all depends on who the 1st 4 picks are. IMO, Barkov would be worth it to the Coyotes. Nichushkin would be too much risk and not enough of a need. Lindholm, I would like, but is the price worth it and to wait a year for his services?

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Gms say & do alot of things that dont make sense. However your are right, I did miss that part about Jim Rutherford. But again, doesn't mean they are going to do it. What GM openly advertises his true plans without an ulterior motive and I fail to see what Rutherfords would be there. Sackic on the other hand...
Rutherford is a terrible dealer in the sense, much more of a good-ole-boys club mentality. Very transparent and usually does what he says. He also hasn't traded back in the Draft this century, we can hope it turns out well as Canes fans but he might be better off just making the pick at 5.

Can't comment on Sakic's motives, on one hand I agree with Bob Mac that he is probably just preparing the media for the ****storm he will get if he doesn't take Jones but he could just be trying to scare Florida, which may or may not work.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
ReimerIsFuture
Rookie User

To Carolina:
-Jake Gardiner
-Jerry D'Amigo
-Tyler Biggs

To Toronto:
-5th overall

Carolina gets the Leafs' best puck moving Dman and two prospects. D'Amigo being a spark plug 3rd/4th liner who gets under the opponent's skin also has decent upside. And Tyler Biggs a player that will be a very effective 3rd liner in the NHL.

Leafs use the 5th to pick Lindholm or Monahan.

ReimerIsFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerIsFuture View Post
To Carolina:
-Jake Gardiner
-Jerry D'Amigo
-Tyler Biggs

To Toronto:
-5th overall

Carolina gets the Leafs' best puck moving Dman and two prospects. D'Amigo being a spark plug 3rd/4th liner who gets under the opponent's skin also has decent upside. And Tyler Biggs a player that will be a very effective 3rd liner in the NHL.

I sure as hell wouldn't do that. Theres no guarantee that Lindholm or Monahan will ever amount to anything.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:21 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Personally, I rather trade Gormley before Stone (mostly because of the depth on the left side). But Gormley has a higher ceiling. Also, it all depends on who the 1st 4 picks are. IMO, Barkov would be worth it to the Coyotes. Nichushkin would be too much risk and not enough of a need. Lindholm, I would like, but is the price worth it and to wait a year for his services?
I feel exactly the same way regarding Gormley and Stone. Stone has exceeded draft expectations and is poised to take over Morris's spot as Yandle's partner - he has a Top 4 spot with us in the bag barring a huge regression or injury. Gormley has the higher ceiling of course but right now it's still a mystery box when it comes to his future as a Yote, with OEL and Yandle ahead of him on the left.

Pretty sure Maloney will not consider Nisch at all because of the Russian factor, but I think he'll do what he can to move up if either Barkov or Lindholm are still on the board. Assuming we get back into playoff contention this year, this draft is probably the best chance he has to land a franchise center, and either fit the bill.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
From everything I've read/heard from the Canes org here is what I got:

Rutherford came out and said he thought they would get a very good player at 5 and he thought their was a drop off in talent after that.

He then came out and said he wanted an NHL ready player who could come out and contribute next season.

He then said after further consultation that the draft was deeper than he originally thought and their was good players until 7th pick. He said he may trade down but not lower than 7.

Their color guy was on Edm radio and said the team desperately needs a tough defensive dman that was a left shot. He said that he thinks the team really likes Nurse but he wasn't going to be NHL ready so if they did go with Nurse they would need to trade for 1 that could play in top 4 but he didn't see one being available. He also mentioned that Nichuskin could be possible but that Rutherford has mostly avoided them in draft and they would need to be certain about players intention and desire (this was before combine).

Since then I've seen Rutherford say they are looking for top 4 dman for trade of #5 but doesn't necessarily have to be top 4 now just have potential to be one.

Based on all that I have no clue what the team will be doing. They seem to be all over the place.
Tripp Tracy is a boob, he may hear rumblings but is in no way deeply connected.

Last comment was the same as before, a top-8 or so pick is still included in the deal. Canes are excited about this Draft, JR had said he was told it is the best since 2003 where the got Eric Staal. JR has also said he hopes to get a player bringing the immediate impact that Skinner brought.

My personal feeling is they are fine with any of Lindholm, Monahan, or Nichushkin (maybe even Domi and Shinkaruk as well). JR just hoping one of Calgary, Edmonton, or Buffalo overpays by sending a top-4 D plus their pick for the 5th plus additional assets.

Talk of Phoenix occurs because, from interviews before and after, the Canes were apparently high on Gormley and he fits the future top-4 or top-2 mold they are looking for. 12 is probably as far back as they would go.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't do that. Theres no guarantee that Lindholm or Monahan will ever amount to anything.
Either will Biggs or D'amigo though. Gardiner's full potential has also yet to be seen and the Leafs need a top-line C, badly.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

I still maintain that Nichushkin is our guy, if Tampa doesn't take him at 3, which I guess is less likely now than it was a month ago.

That said, the question now becomes if we take him at 5, or if we feel he'll still be around a bit further down and we can pick up extra assets.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:04 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
I still maintain that Nichushkin is our guy, if Tampa doesn't take him at 3, which I guess is less likely now than it was a month ago.

That said, the question now becomes if we take him at 5, or if we feel he'll still be around a bit further down and we can pick up extra assets.
Here's the thing, if he is your guy, the only team you can really trade with is Edmonton (or Calgary if they want to keep Edmonton from getting their choice of the centres).

If Edmonton knows that you want Nich, then they know they are guaranteed one of Monahan/Lindholm. Same goes for Calgary. SO they aren't going to give up a ton of assets to move up. A 2nd + a bit maybe, but no more than that.

This is of course assuming that the top 4 goes as predicted and Edm/Cal are indeed interested in Monahan/Lindholm above everyone else at this point.

PeakOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:05 PM
samyy

Leafs need to bite on this. They need D we got D.

samyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
To Carolina:
-Jake Gardiner
-Jerry D'Amigo
-Tyler Biggs

To Toronto:
-5th overall

To trade completely out of the 1st round, we're going to need something a lot better than Gardiner (who we don't need) and Biggs.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

Canucks want to get younger.

McBain + 5th + Edler + 1st + ???

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
will13

Gardiner + 2013 1st?

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Semin

Quote:
To Carolina:
-Jake Gardiner
-Jerry D'Amigo
-Tyler Biggs

To Toronto:
-5th overall

definition on how people overrate high draft picks. Wow.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post
Canucks want to get younger.

McBain + 5th + Edler + 1st + ???
Canucks fans can call this stupid all they want, but there's no way we trade for Edler anytime soon. Not that I don't think Edler is a good young d-man, but JR and his country club atmosphere won't accommodate having Edler after what happened at the WCs this offseason. I'd actually love to add a player like Edler though, he's almost exactly the type of d-man we need - a young top 4 left handed d-man, but I just don't see it happening.

As for trading down, who knows what will happen? Like someone else previously stated, JR seems to be all over the place. I'm starting to think there's a decent chance we trade down unless someone unexpected drops to 5.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Nuke

Buffalo offers 3 trade options

Myers for 5th

or

Erhoff + 16 for 5th

or

Sekera + 8th for 5th

Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

I could see Carolina trading down if one of the top 4 ( Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov) isn't there at 5, then trading with Edmonton to 7th for there 2nd round (unless more pieces are involved).

Then the Canes draft the one left of Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin.

Then in the 2nd take Heatherington and Theodore.

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post

Take out the 25th pick and that might net us the 35th pick!
You're often so wrong. They're worth a lot more than you think. Everyone hates on Desharnais, but he's proven he can do 60+ points with the right wingers.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote