HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft 2013

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 06:13 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Olsen most certainly did not look bad in his 28 games last year
Now you're just making **** up.

Old
06-22-2013, 07:16 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Now you're just making **** up.
How was he bad? I'm not saying he wasn't without a flaw, but for a 20-year-old rookie in the NHL, he was not bad. He had a stretch where he looked damn solid, and a couple more where he looked slow and out of place - but on the whole, he wasn't bad.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:19 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
How was he bad? I'm not saying he wasn't without a flaw, but for a 20-year-old rookie in the NHL, he was not bad. He had a stretch where he looked damn solid, and a couple more where he looked slow and out of place - but on the whole, he wasn't bad.
How about this season?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...unior-players/

Quote:
Underachiever Dylan Olsen, D, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)

Dylan Olsen skated in 28 games with the Blackhawks to close out the 2011-12 season, but the summer signings of Michal Rozsival, Sheldon Brookbank, and re-signing of Johnny Oduya made it clear early on that Olsen was headed back to the AHL for more seasoning. Instead of being able to build on his first stint in the NHL however, Olsen got off to a rocky start in 2012-13. His first couple months of the season included a number of healthy scratches, and he was lucky at times to get into the lineup as the seventh defenseman. The 22-year-old blueliner was able to solidify a role later in the season, appearing in a total of 50 games and scoring 11 points with Rockford, but the test will be whether he is able to pick up where he left off next season instead of starting with a step backwards as he did in 2012-13.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Sarava

I definitely think the Hawks need to lean towards defensemen in the draft. Of course, barring a trade the Hawks only have their first rounder and then nothing until the end of the 4th round.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:28 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I definitely think the Hawks need to lean towards defensemen in the draft. Of course, barring a trade the Hawks only have their first rounder and then nothing until the end of the 4th round.
You do realize the Chicago Blackhawks have drafted nine defenseman in the last three drafts, including four in the second round and two in the third round?

Old
06-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
You do realize the Chicago Blackhawks have drafted nine defenseman in the last three drafts, including four in the second round and two in the third round?
Yeah while they used the higher picks on forwards. They've drafted a lot of everything except goaltenders over the last several years. There's been a ton of picks because of the cap sell-off. I see defense as a bigger weakness in the system than forwards. I wouldn't be against drafting a goaltender with the late first round pick though.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:40 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Yeah while they used the higher picks on forwards. They've drafted a lot of everything except goaltenders over the last several years. There's been a ton of picks because of the cap sell-off. I see defense as a bigger weakness in the system than forwards. I wouldn't be against drafting a goaltender with the late first round pick though.
Carruth and Simpson, both drafted in 2010, deserve a shot at goaltending at the AHL level. I'm tired of Hutton and Richards and Karlsson blocking the development of young goaltending prospects. Furthermore, the Chicago Blackhawks drafted one goaltender in 2011 and two goaltenders in 2012.

The Chicago Blackhawks need pure left wingers in the system, left wingers with size (6'-0" plus, 200 pounds plus).

Old
06-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Snowhawk

Quote:
The strength of the Hawks is skating/speed; Olsen is not an NHL calibre skater. he would have an even more difficult time contributing to the Hawks because they are arguably the best skating team in the league.

So what else does Olsen bring to the dance? He is not great defensively, he is not overly physical which is something the Hawks could use especially on the back end
and he provides little to no offense.

The picking of Olsen made no sense from day one, in my opinion the Hawks should move him for anything and free up the contract spot. Be fair to the kid and move to an organization where he may eventually have an opportunity to crack the NHL lineup.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:02 AM
giza

Olsen

While I think Olsen has limited upside, I believe he was rushed to the bigs and now he's a bit messed. That said, I think he can ultimately be a competent 6 or 7 D man. I definitely believe the Hawks will be targeting a D man with their first pick, but like last year, if a guy falls who they think should have gone earlier, they'll take the forward. No way on the goalies with that pick.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
hockeydoug

Best player available, I don't want them shifting how they weigh a prospect's value based on organizational needs/strengths/weaknesses in the early rounds.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
We could use some Centers with some Size....

Old
06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Carruth and Simpson, both drafted in 2010, deserve a shot at goaltending at the AHL level. I'm tired of Hutton and Richards and Karlsson blocking the development of young goaltending prospects. Furthermore, the Chicago Blackhawks drafted one goaltender in 2011 and two goaltenders in 2012.

The Chicago Blackhawks need pure left wingers in the system, left wingers with size (6'-0" plus, 200 pounds plus).
Simpson will get his chance in AHL next year but Carruth shouldn't. He will turn professional and need some time in ECHL to adjust

Sign Hutton or Karlsson back to split duties with Simpson in AHL and Carruth works as #1 in Toledo

Maybe 2014-15 both are in Rock

-- And Richards/Hutton blocked no one as Hawks haven't had a quality goalie prospect in AHL since Niemi/Crawford

Old
06-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

thank you for proving my thoughts about you as right. Richards isn't blocking anybody and we need a guy like Karlsson/Hutton for sure.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
thank you for proving my thoughts about you as right. Richards isn't blocking anybody and we need a guy like Karlsson/Hutton for sure.
All Hutton has proved to be is nothing more than a journeyman AHL goaltender.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
All Hutton has proved to be is nothing more than a journeyman AHL goaltender.
He's only really played for 2 AHL teams... and why is that a bad thing? Simpson hasn't shown he's ready to be a #1 AHL goaltender, and the Icehogs need to start having some success. Hopefully, they can build off the 2nd half of their season last year and use that to make the playoffs next year. I know, according to Bowman, the Icehogs making the playoffs or not isn't a huge deal to them, but I'm pretty sure he'd rather them in the playoffs than not - they have a better chance at doing that with an experienced goaltender than a 21-year-old.

The goaltending depth chart should look like this next year:

1. Crawford
2. Raanta
3. Hutton/Experience AHL goaltender
4. Simpson
5. Carruth

Old
06-23-2013, 10:33 PM
T0ny0

Fucale would be a nice asset to add. I doubt he'll get to us though and I think we'd be looking at a McCoshen for defence or Ryan Hartman for forward.

Players I think could possibly be available and would be fine additions are Kerby Rychel and Samuel Morin, although most Mock Drafts have both these players gone before the Blackhawks pick.

Zadorov is my pipe dream

Old
06-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

You need guys like Hutton in the system... that's what every team has. Guys like Hutton or Karlsson are needed for depth. I would rather play 1 of them than going with Simpson in the NHL if we need them due to injury

Old
06-25-2013, 03:29 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Hawks Offseason WOAT

The entire 1st round many of the GMs will say "We'd like to thank New Jersey for hosting the draft, and congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup victory".

Old
06-25-2013, 04:02 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The entire 1st round many of the GMs will say "We'd like to thank New Jersey for hosting the draft, and congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup victory".
Even better, the Chicago Blackhawks retained their first round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft while the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins traded their 2013 first round draft picks.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Something I love in a Draft... taking Mr. Irrelevant

Old
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
SLarmer28*

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9422

Old
06-26-2013, 12:11 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Based on McKenzies rankings, my picks are Josh Morrisey if he drops but the probability for that is low. Then Madison Bowery RD, then Ian McCoshen. Wingers are a dime a dozen and not the biggest need. D and then C as need positions. Olsen is a stiff.

Yandle Bars made a nice spread sheet for the draft eligibles.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Hawkscap

Any chance Robert Hagg being there at 30?

Old
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Very good chance Hagg will still be on the board at 30. Projected to go anywhere from 25-50. My guess is he'll be gone by 35 at worst. Played in the SEL and WJCs.

Hagg, Theodore and Santini would be the other top potential dmen for consideration.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree. No one's saying the guy is going to be a top-pairing d-man (they shouldnt, anyway) but I'm very confident he'll be a solid bottom-pairing guy in this league somewhere. His games he was up he was fine. I didn't notice him much and for a defenseman that's actually a compliment; he wasn't doing much to screw up and be noticed. He was solid and played a very conservative and simple game.

Closed Thread