Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

II. 2013 Offseason Thread: The Search for Centers

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Skullduggery

vCash: 500
I went to many of those Central Texas Stampede games at the Bell County Expo Center. Cheap beer and cheap seats. They actually made SportsCenter one night when a Jacques Mailhot fight spilled off the ice through the zamboni entrance. He was swinging at everybody. Players, refs, paramedics...

Old
06-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Only went to one CHL game, that being one for Allen. IIRC it was one of the playoff games a few years ago with Rapid City. The one where the game was paused due to a huge brawl in front of the benches. Good times.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:13 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I'd still like to see Dallas land another right shot guy for faceoffs. I wanted Boyd Gordon last year, and I think he'd be a smart Bottom 6 signing again this summer. Plus, he could add some depth at center if injuries strike. Since they were so good together late in the season, maybe stick with Nystrom, Fiddler, and Cole together. Play Gordon on the wing with Roussel and Eakin. Label it how every you want, 3rd/4th line, you know both are likely going to play similar minutes under Ruff.

Roussel-Eakin-Gordon
Nystrom-Fiddler-Cole

I like Garbutt, but I think it's a better Bottom 6 with a guy like Gordon.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
^Gordon would be an amazing pick up for any team. Very underrated guy.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:28 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
^Gordon would be an amazing pick up for any team. Very underrated guy.
I doubt he'd be that expensive either. You're probably talking more money than Fiddler, and similar money to Burish's contract with SJ. Honestly .. maybe a bit more.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Obviously the hockey isn't as good, but I had more fun at those games than any Stars game I've been to, and really for me it's not even close. I'm not sure it is the same way now though..but the late 90's/early 2000's was kind of a golden era of minor league hockey fun.
Did you ever go to any Stars playoff games?

Old
06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'd still like to see Dallas land another right shot guy for faceoffs. I wanted Boyd Gordon last year, and I think he'd be a smart Bottom 6 signing again this summer. Plus, he could add some depth at center if injuries strike. Since they were so good together late in the season, maybe stick with Nystrom, Fiddler, and Cole together. Play Gordon on the wing with Roussel and Eakin. Label it how every you want, 3rd/4th line, you know both are likely going to play similar minutes under Ruff.

Roussel-Eakin-Gordon
Nystrom-Fiddler-Cole

I like Garbutt, but I think it's a better Bottom 6 with a guy like Gordon.
Same. I've wanted Gordon for a while.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Same. I've wanted Gordon for a while.
I honestly wanted him over Fiddler two years ago when they were both free agents. I'd be just fine having them both in the Bottom 6 next year. I still think Eakin should stay at center though.

I'm really hoping Chiasson starts talking more faceoffs in the NHL ... well, and that he sticks in the NHL since I probably shouldn't just assume he'll pick up where he left off. He has been impressive at every level on faceoffs. I think he'll quickly get into a good groove in that role in the NHL as well.

Assuming they also then landed a guy like Weiss, you'd potentially have 4 pretty solid threats in the dot on each line if you wanted, and you've have a perfect compliment of 2 lefties and 2 righties.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
I know it isn't really anything super serious to get worked up about, but i'm going to be pretty bummed if Nystrom isn't resigned.
I just ended up on a video of the Vancouver game with the 3rd line fight, and it totally reminded me of how much of a boss/leader he was last season.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Klockis
I need girl

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Larry View Post
I know it isn't really anything super serious to get worked up about, but i'm going to be pretty bummed if Nystrom isn't resigned.
I just ended up on a video of the Vancouver game with the 3rd line fight, and it totally reminded me of how much of a boss/leader he was last season.
He will probably stay because he is in one of the new "draft memories" videos. Would be very surprised if he and Nill not already agreed that he will stay in Dallas, just a matter of money and term.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Timani

Is it possible that Ruff would want any of his guys from Buffalo, like Stafford? I haven't paid much attention to the Sabres so I don't know if that's likely or even if we'd want to.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Zrhutch

In my perfect world, We COULD make a play for Grigorenko. He'd be perfect.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
In my perfect world, We COULD make a play for Grigorenko. He'd be perfect.
I'd be very interested, but would Buffalo trade him? And what would it take?

29th/30th + Daley + Fraser for Grigs

And with our 10th overall pick we get RR. So we address both needs

Old
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
I'd be very interested, but would Buffalo trade him? And what would it take?

29th/30th + Daley + Fraser for Grigs

And with our 10th overall pick we get RR. So we address both needs
Doubt that'd get him.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:42 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Dreger mentioned this.
Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 1m
Some rumblings Phaneuf may be in play. Nonis says he will trade just about anyone, but says no one has called on the captain...yet. #TSN
Sounds like Toronto expects to be busy on the trade front in the week ahead. Still eager to add a young centre and top 4 D.
Leafs were interested in Robidas at the trade deadline.

Edit: I know this is also about the Leafs, but Sam Gagner is available
One about Stastny now.
Quote:
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey 5m
Hearing Leafs have had discussions with Oilers about Sam Gagner. Leafs are looking for a young centre and he certainly fits the bill.

Lets also not forget that over the past two season Paul Stastny's name has come up. There's lots of options for TOR.
If the Leafs trade for Gagner or Stastny that likely takes them out of the running for Weiss.

Last edited by ________: 06-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old
06-23-2013, 01:59 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
No decision made yet on Bachman.
Quote:
“He’s in the mix,” Stars GM Jim Nill said of Bachman. “We’ve talked to other teams. Our job this time of year is trying to find the best we can and Bachman is in that mix. We’re just going through our process to see what else is out there.”

Old
06-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all of these updates you keep posting. Much appreciated.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:37 PM
BigG44

If Dallas is adding a guy like Dion Phaneuf, I'd like to see Goligoski moved out. I think they're honestly both pretty similar in terms of the offense and the occasional if not frequent breakdown in their own zone. That said, Dion offers that size and aggression you love on the back end, I think he has a more overpowering shot from the back end, and I think he might flourish out of the Canadian spot light.

They're looking to cut cap space since they'll be pushing hard after a center. I doubt with just a single year on his contract, Phaneuf is the kind of guy Colorado (Stastny) would want, but I think Edmonton would jump at him. Dallas' best bet might be to offer Robidas (retain a chunk of his salary) and then add a pick. That'd allow Toronto to still pursue free agent centers which I imagine are higher on their priority list than a guy like Gagner.

Goligoski could be a guy Dallas uses to move up with. Maybe something like Boston's 1st plus Goli to get Phili's 1st. That said, they just signed Streit so I doubt it. I do think Goli would be a commodity teams would be interested in.

The major drawback to Phaneuf is Dallas just gets thinner at right shot D.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
tjcurrie

As much as I'd like Gagner, he and the Leafs seem like a good match. The Leafs seem to have the pieces that the Oilers would be interested in and they certainly don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:41 PM
txomisc

Ive never really been a fan of Phaneuf. Hes always seemed to be overrated and seems like a bit of a *********.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Ive never really been a fan of Phaneuf. Hes always seemed to be overrated and seems like a bit of a *********.
I just think you're against sloppy seconds. If it makes you feel any better we'd be third in the rotation. The Leafs were the sloppy seconds.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I just think you're against sloppy seconds. If it makes you feel any better we'd be third in the rotation. The Leafs were the sloppy seconds.
Lol. Avery is such a dbag.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I'm still really hoping Richards got bought out. I'm confident enough to say that if Richard comes back he's a PPG player with us still. This team isn't bad enough to have a bottom pick next year so my as well start building the roster while developing the young ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
He looks like an ******* but apparently he's not that bad. He gets overrated by certain Leafs fans but he's a top two defensemen.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Henderson33

If we could trade for Phaneuf and have him turn back into the Calgary version that would be great. I loved watching Dion in his first few seasons.

What do you guys think about Ian White? Obviously we have a few too many D as it stands, but if two (or more) of them happened to be traded he could be a nice replacement. I bring up his name because of his Red Wing status and figured Nill could have some interest.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

No thanks to White. He's more like a #4/#5. Why do we need one of those.

Closed Thread