Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Beegoalie

vCash: 500
I don't think people realize how good Bernier is. But I've stated my case. I hope they go after him

Old
06-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I don't think people realize how good Bernier is. But I've stated my case. I hope they go after him
Even if Zucker was involved?

It's like filling a hole, then create a brand new one.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I'm all for going after him, but not if we're overpaying with assets that we need and I feel like that's what'll happen if we land him.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I really want Bernier too but count me in the camp that isn't willing to give up Zucker. Giving up a guy like Seto I would understand because you have a replacement in the same position in Coyle (assuming he isn't switched to center) BUT WHO THE **** REPLACES ZUCKER?!?!?!

Old
06-22-2013, 10:26 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

We need a few guys like Coyle and Zucker.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Even if Zucker was involved?

It's like filling a hole, then create a brand new one.

no sir. Seto, Clutterbuck picks...sign me up. Zucker. Have to say no. I think Fletcher and Flahr won't make that mistake either.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Have to give to get. It's not ideal but there s no way LA would give up a starter for a backup and throw-ins. I'd rather give them Granlund but I doubt LA would take him. Martinez also isn't a bad young D-man either.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
If it were down to Zucker and Coyle, I would trade Zucker 10 times out of 10.

But I still don't want it to happen.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Have to give to get. It's not ideal but there s no way LA would give up a starter for a backup and throw-ins. I'd rather give them Granlund but I doubt LA would take him. Martinez also isn't a bad young D-man either.

This is true..but would only polish the turd that is trading Zucker for most of us.

Zucker is also still extremely raw yet..I don't think we even know what we have with him. Gotta keep him.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Something tells me that the Zucker rumor only comes from the fact that he plays a position of want/need for LA. Hopefully it turns out to be just a rumor and is not something Fletcher has actually considered.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

The only thing I'd feel good about if we traded Zucker is that he's small and has a bit of a concussion history. Other than that, it's all negatives. I love what Zucker brings to the table and no one on our roster even comes close to replacing him.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:45 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Sorry, I don't care how good Bernier and Martinez might be, if we trade Zucker for them (obviously +Kuemper), I don't know if I can cheer for the Minnesota Wild to have success as long as Fletcher is the GM. We've spent years since Gaborik left trying to find a player exactly like Zucker, and we trade him for a goalie? Yeah, no.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
The more think about it, the more I think it's just a mind strategy game they are playing or a leverage to Backstrom's faster decision.

I really hope the situation will be solved before the draft so we can stop talking about a certain nonsense...

Last edited by Fel 96: 06-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 11:02 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I don't think Fletch would trade Zucker, but if he did I would have question his decision making.

Wild need speed and scoring way too much to trade Zucker.

Bernier wouldn't suck to get however...

As long as we do not overpay.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

And hell no to Fleury!!

I swear to God...

We better not even sniff that crap...

Old
06-23-2013, 12:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
We better not even sniff that crap...
Yes because I mean in the past three years, he's had a GAA of 2.32, 2.36 and a 2.39 and a save % of .918, .913 and a .916 SV%. That's crap I tell you!

What's this? Backstrom had 2.66, 2.43 and 2.48 GAA the past three seasons and a .916, a .919 and a .909 SV% and less games played? Guess Backstrom is crap too.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Why not Dobby? I mean he's familiar with the players and system. Has a tremendous upside still.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Yes because I mean in the past three years, he's had a GAA of 2.32, 2.36 and a 2.39 and a save % of .918, .913 and a .916 SV%. That's crap I tell you!

What's this? Backstrom had 2.66, 2.43 and 2.48 GAA the past three seasons and a .916, a .919 and a .909 SV% and less games played? Guess Backstrom is crap too.
Why give up assets for Fleury when we can just re-sign Backstrom? Even if he doesn't wanna come dirt cheap there's still no way Backs is gonna get $5 million.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Why give up assets for Fleury when we can just re-sign Backstrom? Even if he doesn't wanna come dirt cheap there's still no way Backs is gonna get $5 million.
Because Backstrom re-signing isn't a guarantee. I'm thinking Fletcher is seeing what is out there if Backstrom doesn't re-sign.

1) Re-sign Backstrom (if possible)

or

2) See what's out there.

Since trades aren't going to happen until after the SCF, why not start some discussions? And gauge the market.

Ultimately
1/ Re-sign Backstrom
2/ Trade for Fleury (if available)
3/ Sign some veteran like Theodore
4/ Sign Dobby
5/ Trade for Bernier
6/ Roll into the season with Harding/Kuemper

Old
06-23-2013, 05:33 AM
forthewild

Am I the only one who thinks Backstrom is not a good choice? Dude isn't that great and he's gone down with injuries the last few years.

I don't want to overpay for a goalie but hell we need to be looking elsewhere to begin with.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:57 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Backstrom is not a good choice? Dude isn't that great and he's gone down with injuries the last few years.

I don't want to overpay for a goalie but hell we need to be looking elsewhere to begin with.
I'm a big fan of Bäcks, but at this point i must say that you have a point. He isnt great anymore and he is also becoming very slow.

I would love seeing Bernier in a Wild sweater, but not for Zucker.. Nah-Nah! Won't happen... ever... can't...

If we give up something like Clutterbuck + Haula/Bulmer, i'm ok.. But giving up one of our brightest young guys with a skillset we are in a desperate need of.. NO!

Old
06-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I'm surprised how little faith people have in the Wild's own goalie prospects. Before trading Hackett, it was considered an area of organiztional depth. Now suddenly we need to trade valuable assets to get a guy who is also unproven as an NHL starter?

I understand having cold-feet going into the season with Hards as the #1, but he played pretty well in the playoffs.

I'd have no problem rolling with Harding-Kuemper at the start of the season; if that doesn't work, grab an unsigned veteran like they did with Theodore some years ago.

The farm system isn't THAT deep that Fletch can keep flipping the better prospects.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post

The statistical difference between the two is not enough to warrant traing assets for Fleury. Fleury had a better defense in front of him which cut down on the amount of quality shots from the opponents. Pittsburgh also spent the majority of their games in the offensive zone. Can't say that is true about the Wild.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:09 AM
lacrosseguy

keep in mind, minnesotas two pressing needs coming into off season where, getting bigger upfront particularily on the wing and securing the goaltending position.

I cant see opening season with granlund and zucker as two of your left wingers as much as I like them both.

Bulmer at 6'3, 195--coyle at 6'2, 205, Phillips at 6'1 195 that is the direction imo they want to go--therefore one of granlund or zucker break camp with big club.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's a number of reasons this direction is bad for the Wild.

First, no, Hackett and Kuemper are not proven. Neither is Bernier. But Hackett and Kuemper were Wild-controlled assets i.e. we are not giving up anything to keep them and see what happens. Bernier would cost quite a bit to acquire, especially if Zucker is involved.

Second, you already have a starter with Backstrom. Unless he truly wants to chase money, why not get him for another couple years at $3-4m? Yes it costs $1-2m more this year, but Bernier is going to want at least that much money next year. You're getting one year of cost savings at the expense of potentially some very important prospects.

Third, the team is not anything more than a borderline playoff team this year, and Bernier doesn't fix that. Goaltending is not the issue with this team. It is defensive depth, top scoring, and scoring depth. Moving guys like Zucker and even to a lesser extent Clutterbuck makes things worse, not better. Take the best goalie in the world, whoever you think that is, even Henrik Lundqvist would not make this team a contender.

Giving up lots of assets and rolling the dice to try and get a slight upgrade in goaltending just isn't smart IMO. Low marginal improvement. The economist in me says you upgrade at the positions of greatest need. Removing a 20+ goal scorer in either Zucker or say Setoguchi or a 15-goal guy in Clutterbuck to save maybe an extra 5-10 goals per year is bad math.

IMO you stick with Kuemper and Gustafsson to see what happens, throw $3-4m at Backstrom (or else $2-3m at another option in UFA), and roll with him and Harding. You have solid starting goaltending and you can use your assets to try to improve your defensive or offensive depth. Maybe you buy out Gilbert and take a run at Briere on a 1-2 year deal to bolster your offense.

Closed Thread