Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Stripper

vCash: 500
Good, I'm heading to Boston in a week or two for a couple of days. Good thing I found this thread !

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:45 AM
badnewsbruin

finding players for autographs

Do the Bruins have an open practice before game 3? If so where abouts? Also are they accessible for autographs? I am coming in from Canada for game 3 and would like to get a few autographs if it is at all possible.

badnewsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsbruin View Post
Do the Bruins have an open practice before game 3? If so where abouts? Also are they accessible for autographs? I am coming in from Canada for game 3 and would like to get a few autographs if it is at all possible.
Not really, practices are closed in the playoffs. You can try and wait outside the players lot outside of the Garden, but your chances are slim.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Cabin Mirror

I'm looking into moving to Boston, what would be some areas to look at? Is Mattapan a good area?

Cabin Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:03 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Mirror View Post
I'm looking into moving to Boston, what would be some areas to look at? Is Mattapan a good area?
No. I think if you read through the entire thread it should have a few good suggestions.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:22 PM
trobby

Visiting Boston - What to do?

My young family and I are visiting Boston this weekend (Friday-Sunday)

Most of my trip is made for kids.
Here's what I have so far...

Children's Museum
http://www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org/visit
---------------------------------------
New England Aquarium
http://www.neaq.org/index.php
----------------------------------------
Skywalk
http://www.prudentialcenter.com/shop...tail.php?id=64
----------------------------------------

Just for nostalgia sakes, I'll be going to Cheers, and on the way home probably visit Fenway Park.

Any other suggestions?

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:26 PM
BLACKNGOLD4EVER

Newbury street, boston public gardens, freedom trail, charles river/esplanade, old ironsides in charlestown, bunker hill

BLACKNGOLD4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:34 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Skywalk I guess can be interesting, must admit I had pretty much forgotten it was there. Haven't been in 25 years, and when my family has visited that wasn't in their priority list

if you are not museum'd out . the Museum of Science is awesome, with a ton of interactive stuff. I guess it depends on how old the kids are. Last time I went with my nieces and nephew (2,6,8 at the time), I think we spend 3+ hours and maybe covered 25% of the museum

http://www.mos.org/

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Ibleedblackandgold

I was there for the first time in April. I really enjoyed the Aquarium even if it was going through major renovations. I recommend getting passes for the trolly tours it will bring you around town offering several stops.

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

Beautiful city!!!

Ibleedblackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Salem13

MOS is great if you have kids with...

...otherwise?

Last edited by Salem13: 06-19-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:10 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

There is a thread stickied up top "Visitor's Guide to Boston". I'm going to merge these threads. There is a bunch of info in the existing one...

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Fair Warning

I'm going to Game 6 on Monday. I'm coming from Sandwich, MA in the cape (not from around here -- on vacation). What would be the easiest way for me to get to the garden? I was thinking about trying to take the T or commuter rail in, but I'm nervous ill miss the train if it goes in OT.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Juliet Papa Golf

Heading to Boston this weekend, easily my favourite city in the US. Got a Red Sox game lined up for the Saturday which should be great. I'm not going to lie I would prefer to have tickets to see the Bruins during this Stanley cup final!

Juliet Papa Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:24 PM
trobby

I can't believe it took me so long to go to Boston.
Beautiful city. Clean and the people are extremely friendly.

We had an amazing time.
Can't wait to go back.

Last edited by trobby: 06-30-2013 at 12:10 AM.
trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Just got back from a weekend on Boston.....if you were at Fenway either Friday or Saturday and saw/heard a large group of Jays fans in right-center field, then you saw the busload that made the trip down with me.

Honestly was in awe of Fenway....it's unfair to even compare it to the concrete monstrosity we have in Toronto.

Spectacular stadium, you should be very proud!

Boston's finest were a welcome sight as well....after the game on Friday, a couple of us were wandering around Lansdowne trying to find a good place to grab some food, and a Boston cop just walked up and started offering tips on where to go. We talked Toronto, hockey, the local area, and burgers.

Ended up going to Tasty Burger, which was a fine choice I might add. Hit up Sweet Caroline's on Saturday, another great restaurant.

Speaking of Sweet Caroline, it really was cool hearing the entire crowd belt it out at Fenway.

Had a great time down there, and will definitely be going back!

Thanks, Boston!

07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
tragos

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
I can't believe it took me so long to go to Boston.
Beautiful city. Clean and the people are extremely friendly.

We had an amazing time.
Can't wait to go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Just got back from a weekend on Boston.....if you were at Fenway either Friday or Saturday and saw/heard a large group of Jays fans in right-center field, then you saw the busload that made the trip down with me.

Honestly was in awe of Fenway....it's unfair to even compare it to the concrete monstrosity we have in Toronto.

Spectacular stadium, you should be very proud!

Boston's finest were a welcome sight as well....after the game on Friday, a couple of us were wandering around Lansdowne trying to find a good place to grab some food, and a Boston cop just walked up and started offering tips on where to go. We talked Toronto, hockey, the local area, and burgers.

Ended up going to Tasty Burger, which was a fine choice I might add. Hit up Sweet Caroline's on Saturday, another great restaurant.

Speaking of Sweet Caroline, it really was cool hearing the entire crowd belt it out at Fenway.

Had a great time down there, and will definitely be going back!

Thanks, Boston!
Yay! So great to hear you had good visits! Happy Canada Day!

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
N o o d l e s

Didn't know where to put this link and thought it might be interesting here with those interested in vising the area in the next few years, and even to our fellow MA residents.

http://www.zamlove.com/blog/index.ph...QM2AQ.facebook

This could provide some really interesting opportunities for growth on the South Shore, and could provide a cheaper place to eat/stay/visit for visitors when frequenting the Boston area. It's only about a 15 minute red line ride plus a switch onto the Orange to the Garden from the Quincy Center and Quincy Adams t-stops. Could be a nice stop in for those looking to stay and eat somewhere near the city but not have to pay the costs of actually doing it in the city.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
Didn't know where to put this link and thought it might be interesting here with those interested in vising the area in the next few years, and even to our fellow MA residents.

http://www.zamlove.com/blog/index.ph...QM2AQ.facebook

This could provide some really interesting opportunities for growth on the South Shore, and could provide a cheaper place to eat/stay/visit for visitors when frequenting the Boston area. It's only about a 15 minute red line ride plus a switch onto the Orange to the Garden from the Quincy Center and Quincy Adams t-stops. Could be a nice stop in for those looking to stay and eat somewhere near the city but not have to pay the costs of actually doing it in the city.
Q-town represent! We do have an opportunity here to take advantage of our proximity and ease of access to Boston. I'm excited to see how the redevelopment project pans out over the coming years.

And hey cool, I grew up a co-owner of Zamforia.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:03 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Q-town represent! We do have an opportunity here to take advantage of our proximity and ease of access to Boston. I'm excited to see how the redevelopment project pans out over the coming years.

And hey cool, I grew up a co-owner of Zamforia.
Yes sir

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Has anyone taken any of the Boston ghost tours? I did one in Seattle and really enjoyed it. I'd imagine Boston would have lots of cool stories (regardless of whether you believe them or not).

Also where might I find a good selection of Bruins stuff? I wondered over to Faneuil Hall Marketplace tonight and there were a couple sport shops there, but not a whole lot of Bruins selection. I figure I'll pop by Proshop at TD Garden when they're open, but anywhere else?

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:52 PM
MrJoeSoap

Evening all!

Myself and a friend are thinking of coming over from Ireland for a few days in October, most likely arriving on the 9th and leaving on the 15th. We would be looking to take in Avalanche and Red Wings games on the 10th and 14th, and possibly the Saints@Patriots game in Gillette on the 13th.

Where would be the best place to source tickets for these games? I've seen plenty on sale via StubHub but have no experience (first hand or otherwise) of getting tickets through them. Would I be paying an unnecessarily high premium by using them?

Bare in mind I really don't want to leave anything to the last minute since we are coming over primarily for the sport (and of course, to see the beautiful city of Boston).

Thanks in advance!
MJS

MrJoeSoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Ratty

Ace Ticket is a good resource. It has offices near Fenway Park and Boston Garden so you can buy in advance and pick up tickets there.

Another possibility is craigslist where you buy from an individual ticket holder.

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
cleanwaterftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoeSoap View Post
Evening all!

Myself and a friend are thinking of coming over from Ireland for a few days in October, most likely arriving on the 9th and leaving on the 15th. We would be looking to take in Avalanche and Red Wings games on the 10th and 14th, and possibly the Saints@Patriots game in Gillette on the 13th.

Where would be the best place to source tickets for these games? I've seen plenty on sale via StubHub but have no experience (first hand or otherwise) of getting tickets through them. Would I be paying an unnecessarily high premium by using them?
Have bought tickets from many sources...StubHub, Ace Tickets, Ticket Master/Bruins box office, HFBoards...personally can't recommend one over the other. I've found some great deals on StubHub, though with not too much of a markup, but have seen some ridiculous prices even for less popular games. Best is to take a look at all of the sites and keep in mind what your budget is and what is reasonable for the seats you are looking at. Ace Tickets also has a system set up where you can buy tickets direct through other users (Ticket Exchange?), though I haven't had too much success on that front.

Something to keep in mind. TicketMaster and Ace, you can buy the tickets ahead of time and pick them up at their office. Stub Hub, the physical tickets are sent to you, which can be tricky because you HAVE TO REMEMBER to pack them with you...a possible disaster in waiting. Some tickets are available to be sent through email, so you can print them once you get to Boston (ie at the library or a copy shop). Still a bit inconvenient, but with more safety nets than being sent hard tickets.

Good luck with your planning! I've been trying to get my friend from Ireland to come visit during Bruins season for ages but he's really only been here during the summer (J1 summer visa)!
People in Boston love Irish visitors, so you're bound to be treated well here.

cleanwaterftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Mirror View Post
NO NO NO.

Hyde Park, Roslindale, Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury are far better. Each has its good parts and bad parts but you need to really research the area.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:55 AM
mikeedgexxx

hey guys, I was thinking of spending a weekend in Boston in the fall, but I'd like to know when the best time is to see the fall foliage in Boston?

mikeedgexxx is offline   Reply With Quote