HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/sta...94274507943936

Quote:
Am hearing that is sounds like the #fFlyers might be shopping a guy like Braydon Coburn
It would be hilarious if they trade for him and give that #7 up. They are supposedly very aggressive in their search for immediate top 4 help. I know I know, it most likely doesn't happen, but never hurts to try.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I really hope they don't trade read for bernier. We should not be giving up proven assets for an unproven goalie
High risk, high reward. Also it is going to be very tough to keep Read, Couturier, Schenn, and Giroux after next season. I think someone is likely to get traded. Originally I thought Couturier because he would have the biggest return and there is a log-jam at center, but I think if they can get Read for Bernier, it could pay off in the long run.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
High risk, high reward. Also it is going to be very tough to keep Read, Couturier, Schenn, and Giroux after next season. I think someone is likely to get traded. Originally I thought Couturier because he would have the biggest return and there is a log-jam at center, but I think if they can get Read for Bernier, it could pay off in the long run.
If we trade him we have 6 legitimate top 9 forwards. I guess Schenn or Laughton could be moved to the wing and that would leave you need only 2 forwards. I guess one could be a rookie, but with Laughton already being in the top nine in this scenario it doesn't seem like a good choice to rely on that. I really don't want to see guys like Talbot being relied on to play in the top 9 full time. We didn't have enough secondary scoring last year as it is.

So you could have

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couts-Simmonds
XXX-Laughton-XXX
Talbot-XXX-Rinaldo

or

Harntell-Giroux-Voracek
XXX-Schenn-Simmonds
XXX-Couturier-XXX
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

If we trade Read we are likely going to sign a free agent winger for around 4 million per year and if that is the case I would rather keep him. And at that price he could be kept after next season.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/sta...94274507943936

It would be hilarious if they trade for him and give that #7 up. They are supposedly very aggressive in their search for immediate top 4 help. I know I know, it most likely doesn't happen, but never hurts to try.
Trading Coburn for the 7th would hurt us in the short term, but then we would come away with one of Lindholm, Monahan, or Nurse at 7 and then another player at 11 or trade #11 for immediate help. Or maybe we could package #7 and #11 to move up to get Jones if Colorado doesn't take him at #1.

Edit: could you imagine the outrage if we took two forwards with those picks? Or if we traded down from 11 to get another pick and chose three forwards.

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 06-23-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 09:25 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Trading Coburn for the 7th would hurt us in the short term, but then we would come away with one of Lindholm, Monahan, or Nurse at 7 and then another player at 11 or trade #11 for immediate help. Or maybe we could package #7 and #11 to move up to get Jones if Colorado doesn't take him at #1
I would rather have the 7 and 11 picks

Old
06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Yeah, I rather come away with two great prospects than just one as well. I would keep the 7 and 11 if we got both of them.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:38 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Short term would be a little rough losing Coburn but overall, the 7th and 11th would help this club in the long run sooooooooooooo Homer won't pull the trigger on something like that

Old
06-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Wouldn't mind Coburn being packaged off. Also Mez should be shipped out as well even for a low return. Looks like Gus will finally get his playing time.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
healthyscratch

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt a team just trading for Bernier's rights? So his value would be further diminished, correct?

edit: maybe diminished is the wrong word, but considering he still needs to be signed I would think that would at least level off his value.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:56 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt a team just trading for Bernier's rights? So his value would be further diminished, correct?

edit: maybe diminished is the wrong word, but considering he still needs to be signed I would think that would at least level off his value.
Yea, but is there an offer out there that a team would give him that we wouldn't match? I don't know. something around 3.2 million or less and you would receive a 2nd round pick. In all honesty, i'm not sure if Bernier should be making that much a season since he hasn't proven anything yet.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

He's RFA so there isn't really a big risk of losing him because you can match, or if the offer is too high take the picks. Could bring down value a littke in theory, but I don't think that much.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:59 AM
healthyscratch

Points taken, thanks fellas.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:04 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I've always advocated that we shouldn't trade unless we have a clear replacement but if the 7th pick is on the table for him and our 11th pick isn't you have to pull the trigger. It's an overpayment for Coburn.

It's probably wishful thinking though that Edmonton would offer that.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 10:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I've always advocated that we shouldn't trade unless we have a clear replacement but if the 7th pick is on the table for him and our 11th pick isn't you have to pull the trigger. It's an overpayment for Coburn.

It's probably wishful thinking though that Edmonton would offer that.
What if Edmonton didn't offer the 7th, but they offered someone like Sam Gagner. Would you make that trade or would you still retain Coburn? Gagner could really make things interesting. You could slot him on the right side of Giroux and move Voracek to the second line with Schenn at center and Simmonds on the left side and then Read moves to the third line with Couturier and someone like Akeson. It frees up the fourth line to be Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot with Rosehill as the extra.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What if Edmonton didn't offer the 7th, but they offered someone like Sam Gagner. Would you make that trade or would you still retain Coburn? Gagner could really make things interesting. You could slot him on the right side of Giroux and move Voracek to the second line with Schenn at center and Simmonds on the left side and then Read moves to the third line with Couturier and someone like Akeson. It frees up the fourth line to be Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot with Rosehill as the extra.
I would probably pull the trigger on that too to be honest. Especially if we trade Read to LA for Bernier.

I'm in favor of splitting up Giroux and Voracek. I think Voracek's proven he's able to carry his own line now.

We would have to hope Mez can come back strong and stay healthy because the UFA class this year for defensemen is pretty brutal or acquire one of those buy-low young guys on the market.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think Coburn has a fair bit more value then people around here think. He is a top 4, no matter what certain posters say, and has term left on his contract. There really isn't many top 4 dman with 3 years remaining you can go out and trade for now. I can't think of any to be honest. That's why I think general managers value him much more than hfboards posters. He gives you a solid 20 mins and good pk play while chipping in 20-25 points a year. That I think might warrant a top pick back. Am I valuing Coburn and the term a little too much? Maybe, but it gives a gm flexibility when trading for him.

No to Sam gagner as well. He will be expensive as well. I think someone said he was looking for 5 per year, we don't have the room for that. Even if Coburn is traded for him. I rather get an ELC or top prospect if we can't get their #7.

Also look to Carolina for Coburn possibly. They haven't been quiet about the possibility of moving that pick for a top 4 defender with term. Coburn fits a major need for them.

If we do trade Coburn we would run probably a defense like

Kimmo-schenn
Streit-grossmann
Gus-mez

Or something around that. Also don't forget we could still try to acquire another defender down the line.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think Coburn has a fair bit more value then people around here think. He is a top 4, no matter what certain posters say, and has term left on his contract. There really isn't many top 4 dman with 3 years remaining you can go out and trade for now. I can't think of any to be honest. That's why I think general managers value him much more than hfboards posters. He gives you a solid 20 mins and good pk play while chipping in 20-25 points a year. That I think might warrant a top pick back. Am I valuing Coburn and the term a little too much? Maybe, but it gives a gm flexibility when trading for him.

No to Sam gagner as well. He will be expensive as well. I think someone said he was looking for 5 per year, we don't have the room for that. Even if Coburn is traded for him. I rather get an ELC or top prospect if we can't get their #7.

Also look to Carolina for Coburn possibly. They haven't been quiet about the possibility of moving that pick for a top 4 defender with term. Coburn fits a major need for them.

If we do trade Coburn we would run probably a defense like

Kimmo-schenn
Streit-grossmann
Gus-mez

Or something around that. Also don't forget we could still try to acquire another defender down the line.

Edit: my phone agreed with me it decided to post it twice

Old
06-23-2013, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You'd think so, but Top 4 defensemen would need to consistently be available for trade to know for sure. Which seems strange that Coburn would be available considering we're always trying to find and unable to get them.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
That may be true, but he still hasn't been a number one so no one really knows what they are getting when the trade for him. Trading valuable, known assets for an unknown goalie should be questioned.
have you seen the FA list? it freakin blows. I am not interested in giving up a young asset for Halak either.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:48 AM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider

Quote:
Jonathan Bernier has been traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a second round pick in 2014 or 2015 (Toronto's option)

Old
06-23-2013, 11:48 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
No to Gagner.
Maybe yes to the 7th, depending who's still on the board.

I like Coburn too much too give him up for anything less than an overpayment. Come playoff time, everybody would miss beast-mode Coburn.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
wow. I kinda expected us to get Bernier. lol

Old
06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
wow. I kinda expected us to get Bernier. lol
Dito.
Is Read going to stay now or do we try to get a pick or something for him?
We won't resign him after next season. It's the same situation we were in with RJ Umberger.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Can't say I am terribly upset. I am actually kind of happy because it seems like Homer has been controlling himself in regards to trades this year

Old
06-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Stizzle

This is excellent news! I didn't want him at the cost of Read. Steve Mason FTW!

Closed Thread