HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Tyson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
No offense Woodlief has him as. Next Brad Winchester? Skill has to be there in first round. Go for guy like Rychel who has combination of hands and size.

We drafted first round tons of guys before for size never worked out? Turner Stevenson, Terry Ryan, Vallis, Komisarek, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown, Ward, etc...
Totally agree, size alone won't get it done. Bailey and Baptiste in the second and third round can address the size issue.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
No offense Woodlief has him as. Next Brad Winchester? Skill has to be there in first round. Go for guy like Rychel who has combination of hands and size.

We drafted first round tons of guys before for size never worked out? Turner Stevenson, Terry Ryan, Vallis, Komisarek, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown, Ward, etc...
Komisarek didn't work out? wat. He became exactly what we drafted him to become pre-Lucic fight.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
ONE WEEEK!!!

Gahhhh

Old
06-23-2013, 08:18 AM
S Bah

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Totally agree, size alone won't get it done. Bailey and Baptiste in the second and third round can address the size issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Komisarek didn't work out? wat. He became exactly what we drafted him to become pre-Lucic fight.
You have to get up to date, this is the Bergevin regime. The game plan has changed, no longer do people line up and throw darts at a board. Bergevin, Dudley, Timmins and the biggest and best drafting team in the NHL is ours in Montreal.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:19 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
In French, Théodore

Must be from french descent. Greek is an old language, and is a latin based language just like French. Maybe he's of greek heritage, but they probably spell it the right way
No it isn't. It doesn't even use the same alphabet.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
No it isn't. It doesn't even use the same alphabet.
French is latin-based which is greek-based

Old
06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
gimme your picks and a comparable NHL player. future projections would also be nice but theyre not needed

1 of each:

Defense1: Morin - Morrissey
Defense2: Santini - McCoshen
Forward: Mantha - Rychel - Gauthier - Lazar - Heartman
boom

Old
06-23-2013, 08:29 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
French is latin-based which is greek-based
Man, I don't know what they're teaching in Quebec schools but this is just pathetic.

The Greek language and the Greek script derive from different sources. The language is what the Greek spoke, their script is the form they BORROWED from the Phoenician script.

The Latin language was spoken by the latins in and around Rome. The latin script BORROWED from the Greek script but all you have to do is look at the two scripts and see they are different scripts.

French uses the latin script not the Greek script. English took its script from latin so did German, and many western languages.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:34 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
That logic is assuming every draftee makes it to the NHL which they don't.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Man, I don't know what they're teaching in Quebec schools but this is just pathetic.

The Greek language and the Greek script derive from different sources. The language is what the Greek spoke, their script is the form they BORROWED from the Phoenician script.

The Latin language was spoken by the latins in and around Rome. The latin script BORROWED from the Greek script but all you have to do is look at the two scripts and see they are different scripts.

French uses the latin script not the Greek script. English took its script from latin so did German, and many western languages.
Latin is still greek-based by what you say. Borrowing greek script and adapting it as your own alphabet is pretty much using it as a BASE for your written language.

Since I'm just a pathetically-educated Quebec student, I must be wrong.

On topic, the good way to write Shea Theodore is Shea Theodore since it's how it's written in English which use the same alphabet as French.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:

No mention here of Rychel's less than top end skating.All Rychel's supporters gloss over this glaring weakness.If his skating makes him a project, then he goes on the ND list, even more so if he's expected by many to go in the first round.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:02 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
That logic is assuming every draftee makes it to the NHL which they don't.
Yeah I was wondering if that point would ever come up.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
wally weir

Quote:
I really love those two guys for pick 36 and 55. They bring size, skating; Bailey has at least second line potential and Baptiste could play anywhere in the lineup it just depends on how he develops.

If the Habs could draft a falling player hopefully Wennberg, Morin,Horvat....but that is just a dream,more realistically we get a Rychel,Erne or Burokowsky at 25.

And at 36 just go With best defenseman available just to bring balance to our draft,

25 Erne
34 Bailey
36 Santini or Mccoshen
55 Baptiste

Old
06-23-2013, 09:14 AM
yianik

Quote:
Sure size alone doesn't do it. Skating and skill are always most important but I think those who like McCaron believe the skating is there, the pieces of the skill set are there and with his size and physical play he could turn out to be a real good player in the NHL. Grant has made a number of quite insightful and positive statements about him.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Hey Hab fan guys (and girls)...was wondering if any of you bought the yearly THN Prospect magazine recently? (THN: The Hockey News).

I collect the THN Prospect magazine every year...but I'm kind of late this year...will get it soon!

Was wondering...any of you know THN's top 30?
Thanks in advance...but I have to get the mag after St-Jean when everything is open again...need it for my collection!

Happy St-Jean to everyone! (Bonne St-Jean tout le monde! drink but be safe and happy! and if you're sexually frustrated...stay home and drink at home so you don't get violent towards nice people who don't deserve your frustrations!!).

Cheers!
The THN draft issue was out in early in May, it's probably too late to buy it now.

I can PM you the top 30 if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
Do you guys know if it will be streamed online somewhere? I don't have TSN, and I really want to watch the draft.

One week to go

NHL.com usually has one.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:18 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
You have to get up to date, this is the Bergevin regime. The game plan has changed, no longer do people line up and throw darts at a board. Bergevin, Dudley, Timmins and the biggest and best drafting team in the NHL is ours in Montreal.
This logic is just not right. We dont need to draft a team full of guys 6'4" and up. Guys that are 6'1" are fine as well. Rychel and Erne are ranked around moontreal's pick and are both 6'1" and about 200 pounds. They cant get pushed around easily.

Rychel and Erne bring a lot more than someone like McCarron.

McCarron for his size, isnt as physical as he should be. His hands and skating arent spectacular and he has a pretty good shot.

i think he ends up being a Brian Boyle. But at least hes 6'5".

Old
06-23-2013, 09:20 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Yeah I was wondering if that point would ever come up.
So you prefer risking your first rounder on a risky player rather than a later pick? I think getting someone like Hartman, Rychel or Erne in the first and then taking a Sanford or Baptiste later would be better for the team.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

I believe we do need to get bigger, but we need to be careful also...

Counter-example for drafting for size:

-On the Pipeline Radio Show, they had a draft preview on the Flames... Basically, they said the Sutter regime angled the drafting to get Big players (mostly from the WHL). That it had been a failure, they had nothing to show for it (i.e. they're terrible now)... New regime with John Weisbrod going in a different direction.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I believe we do need to get bigger, but we need to be careful also...

Counter-example for drafting for size:

-On the Pipeline Radio Show, they had a draft preview on the Flames... Basically, they said the Sutter regime angled the drafting to get Big players (mostly from the WHL). That it had been a failure, they had nothing to show for it (i.e. they're terrible now)... New regime with John Weisbrod going in a different direction.
Habs drafted for size in the past and got burnt.

You can't get big guys that are slow. But you can get big guys who can skate and have some offensive talent.

Dickinson & Bailey are two big bodied boys who can skate and have offensive tools.
Nastasiuk, Rychel and McCarron (Mc is huge) aren't great skaters, McCarron is good for his size, but they bring a bit more nasty to the game.
Poirier is a guy with speed to burn, a good projectable frame and great offensive tools.

If we went for an all forward draft..
Rychel/McCarron at 25
Poirier at 34
Dickinson/Bailey/Nastasiuk at 36.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Draft

Take the players with the highest potential. If size/frame, work ethic or lack of skill will severely limit their potential, don't take them. Those are three things that you likely can't and won't change.

I'd say it's much easier to teach a player to play defence, change their playing style or fix their skating than it is to inspire them to go to the gym, teach them to play hockey or grow a couple of inches.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Habs drafted for size in the past and got burnt.

You can't get big guys that are slow. But you can get big guys who can skate and have some offensive talent.

Dickinson & Bailey are two big bodied boys who can skate and have offensive tools.
Nastasiuk, Rychel and McCarron (Mc is huge) aren't great skaters, McCarron is good for his size, but they bring a bit more nasty to the game.
Poirier is a guy with speed to burn, a good projectable frame and great offensive tools.

If we went for an all forward draft..
Rychel/McCarron at 25
Poirier at 34
Dickinson/Bailey/Nastasiuk at 36.
Rychel or Erne at #25.
Bailey or De La Rose at #36.

I think we need to get a defender in betweem.

I think McCarron and Poirier will be gone by #34 anyway.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:55 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Any Dylan Labbé fans out there?
He's an interesting player, but I see him go in the 4th/5th, so sadly I don't think he'll be an option for us. He had pretty good stats playing on the worst team in the 'Q, as a rookie nonetheless.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM
calder candidate

For everyone obsses with size and stat let remember that it does mean anything unless you actually see them play.
Also players (people in general) don't change if a guy doesn't get involved in the dirty area, doesn't use is size, doesn't have any awareness on the ice or can't stake he not doing to start in the NHL...
Potential is you seeing thing that isn't actually there, Players can improve but the need the basic skills a certain level of talent and desire. Most of these player are already working on their flaws since they are 14-15 yo hockey school, power skating, trainners, pratices with their junior teams being drafted in the NHL won't suddenly cause a breakthrough...

Everyone remembers these pick... and their in lot more example in the 90's
Patrice Bergeron
Center
Born Jul 24 1985 -- Ancienne-Loretta, PQ
Height 6' Weight 178 Shoots R
Draft year
70GP 23G 50A 73PTS 62PIM ±27

Cory Urquhart
Center
Born Oct 1 1984 -- Halifax, NS
Height 6'03" Weight 196 Shoots R
Draft year
71GP 35G 43A 78PTS 28PIM ±5

Simon Gagne
Left Wing
Born Feb 29 1980 -- Sainte Foy, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 195 -- Shoots L
Draft year
53GP 30G 39A 69PTS 26PIM

Eric Chouinard
Center
Born Jul 8 1980 -- Atlanta, GA
Height 6.03 -- Weight 204 -- Shoots L
Draft year
68GP 41G 39A 83PTS 18PIM

Marian Hossa
Right Wing
Born Jan 12 1979 -- Stara Lubovna, Slovakia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots L
Draft year
46GP 25G 19A 44PTS PIM

Jason Ward
Right Wing
Born Jan 16 1979 -- Mississauga, ONT
Height 6.02 -- Weight 208 -- Shoots R
Draft year
58GP 25G 39A 64PTS 137PIM

Old
06-23-2013, 10:03 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally weir View Post
I really love those two guys for pick 36 and 55. They bring size, skating; Bailey has at least second line potential and Baptiste could play anywhere in the lineup it just depends on how he develops.

If the Habs could draft a falling player hopefully Wennberg, Morin,Horvat....but that is just a dream,more realistically we get a Rychel,Erne or Burokowsky at 25.

And at 36 just go With best defenseman available just to bring balance to our draft,

25 Erne
34 Bailey
36 Santini or Mccoshen
55 Baptiste
If we can draft Burakovsky at 25, we should all be very, very happy. Watch the tapes. This kid has the acceleration and dynamic skating that can not be taught. It's something you go to sleep with and wake up with. His skating is on a par with MacKinnon's and, combined with a 6' 1" frame, makes him a player that has an enormous upside. What more could you want drafting near the bottom of the first round? But it's not going to happen. Burakovsky's vast potential will almost certainly see him drafted in the top twenty. Perhaps even higher.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
LeHabsMan

Thank you!

We dont need to use a high pick on drafting size. A guy at 6'1"(Rychel, Erne) or even at barely 6"(Hartman) can be a better pick than the 6'5" McCarron.

The guys I mentionned play bigger than they are, bring more to the table, are better offensively and are not as big of a risk.

We have enough picks to take chances but not with our first.

Closed Thread