HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Canadiens had they signed Shanahan.

Old
10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
MEGALINSKY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I dont have a link, but I remember reading that one of the main reasons for signing with New York for less money was that he wanted to be closer to his family. And you can't really fault him, Gainey, or even Montreal for that... its a geography issue, nothing else.
Yeah, I seem to remember something about his parents living near Boston maybe?

MEGALINSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:50 AM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Where the heck does his family live? He's from Canada and so is his family. Did he marry a girl from New York?
I have no idea... but he did spend alot of Career in Detroit so it is possible that his family lives in the United States...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:51 AM
MacHabs93

Quote:
I have no idea... but he did spend alot of Career in Detroit so it is possible that his family lives in the United States...
And Saint-Louis, New Jersey and Hartford. The last 2 pretty close to NY ... I also just noticed he's never played in Canada ...

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I dont have a link, but I remember reading that one of the main reasons for signing with New York for less money was that he wanted to be closer to his family. And you can't really fault him, Gainey, or even Montreal for that... its a geography issue, nothing else.

I thought he wanted to make contacts with the NHL offices in New York. I think he wants work there eventually

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
I believe Shanahan was offered more money than what the Rangers offered. He settled for less to play for the Rags. I think there are issues with the language barrier which deters players from playing in Montreal. Very sad.
I think that he simply took the calculated risk to play with Jagr to boost his stats and get another great contract at the end of the year.

Actually, it was quite an easy call to make if one players wants to favor his stats... play with Jagr and and a pure offensive line or any other Center/RW combo of the league...

I continue to think that Shanahan will have a good season... but still fail to produce significantly in the playoff...
(last year being a prime example with 40 goals and 81 points in 82 games but 1 goal and 2 points in 6 games comes playoff time - he had similar gigs in 2003, 2002, and 2001)

So I don't care how many goals he scores this season. I would rather leave the spot to a guy who will do well in the playoff...

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Evil Ted

I think its obvious why he picked NY because he had a better chance at having a good season, its not a pressure cooker like montreal is, and he has better tallent there to feed him to score. Probably a better chance at making the playoffs or winning the cup. Wise decision for him he will have a better year then he would have had if he signed with us.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Brendan Shanahan is having an exceptional season with the Rangers and would have been the perfect fit with Kovalev. Its very unfortunate he wanted more money and that he did not sign here, quite a bargain for New York as well with the amount he signed. I was afraid he was washed up, well i know i know its another WHAT IF and a whiney thread but I just think this would have made the Canadiens over the top.
Stop living in fantasy land. It didn't happen. Move on.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Brendan Shanahan is having an exceptional season with the Rangers and would have been the perfect fit with Kovalev. Its very unfortunate he wanted more money and that he did not sign here, quite a bargain for New York as well with the amount he signed. I was afraid he was washed up, well i know i know its another WHAT IF and a whiney thread but I just think this would have made the Canadiens over the top.
Brendan Shanahan is having a great first 6 games, I would hardly call that a season. And it's really too soon to say what would put us over the top. I know you're just saying "what if" but let's give our boys a chance first and then see where we are after 30 games or so.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that was it. His family still lives in Michigan and it's just a quicker and easier flight from NY to Det. It just came down to preference I think.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
Brendan Shanahan is having a great first 6 games, I would hardly call that a season. And it's really too soon to say what would put us over the top. I know you're just saying "what if" but let's give our boys a chance first and then see where we are after 30 games or so.
The plain and simple fact is that Shanahan is getting to the back half of his career, and it makes it easier on him when he has more tallented players around him to help him score, in montreal we do not have that tallent, therefore he wouldnt be nearly as good.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but it's no secret that many English-speaking Habs players in the past were criticized by media for not learning or knowing French. All players are aware if this now after years of heresay on the matter. Mike Keane, back in the day had problems and said he would not learn French and was criticized immensely for it. Koivu, last year or the year before was called out by a reported at a press conference for not knowing French. Poor Saku didn't deserve that. Although in most cases it's one reporter or one moron that causes these problems for our players.
TOTALLY WRONG AGAIN !

The media have never demanded that players like Rivet, Shutt, or whoever played in Montreal for more than few years learn and speak French. The media are just pointing out that the CAPTAIN of the Canadiens de Montréal, might be able to say few words of French for their FANS, who are in majority, French speaking. THAT'S ALL !

As for Shanahan, nobody would had ask him to speak French, or Russian, or creole... Just play hockey ! Great hockey !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
tinyzombies

Long season to go still and he's an old man. He doesn't play physical anymore either, he's just a shooter. Still a pretty good one obviously, but still not the same player. He would have been good for a year or a half season or two seasons, who knows?

What we really need is a damned defenseman or two!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGALINSKY View Post

His wife and in laws are from Boston.Rumors are he wanted to play for the Bruins but when they hired Lewis it all fell appart.He had a fight with him in Detroit

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Fido22

I have got to change my accountant, the one I have still has me paying taxes.

Habs tried to get Shanny very hard and in the end he preferred to live and play in NYC. Why is that wrong? Because we are Habs fans and wish he would have played here?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'd rather have the combination of Cullen/Aaron Ward than Shanny. Sure he's putting great numbers so far, I believe we have a greater need as #2 center and top 4 d-man something both guys would give us. Would give Pleks his #3 centerman spot, will bring Bonk his #4, put Bégin to his wing, and all 4 lines would be more effective.

And with Ward you have a great asset in a period when d-men are hurt, more stable than any Niniimaa of this world, and would be ready to take charge if/when we lose at least 1 one of our guy via UFA.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
CLEGHORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGALINSKY View Post
I'm pretty sure his parent's still live in Mimico.(outskirt's of Toronto.)

CLEGHORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93 View Post
Imagine if we traded for Luongo

BTW Shanahan's kids would have had to go to french school, had they moved here...
Not true.

An anglo-canadian can send their kid to Quebec public english school...

Not to say, he could have sent them to private school anyway.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

His wife didn't want to come here, if he would have been single he would have been here.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
TOTALLY WRONG AGAIN !

The media have never demanded that players like Rivet, Shutt, or whoever played in Montreal for more than few years learn and speak French. The media are just pointing out that the CAPTAIN of the Canadiens de Montréal, might be able to say few words of French for their FANS, who are in majority, French speaking. THAT'S ALL !

As for Shanahan, nobody would had ask him to speak French, or Russian, or creole... Just play hockey ! Great hockey !
No, I'm RIGHT. Learn how to post decent comments rather than condecending ones saying "YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN". I never mentioned Shutt or Rivet. Why did you totally disregard the players I mentioned. Mike Keane went through the samething. He was blasted in the early 90's for saying he doesn't know how to speak French. One ignorant reporter was unfair to Koivu in a press conference last year as well. Where have you been?

It's not just "asking" a player to speak French that is a deterrant, it's the social aspects when players with kids have to move and send their kids to French school.

If you think these issues don't effect a player's decision then you are naive.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
habitue*

Quote:
No, I'm RIGHT. Learn how to post decent comments rather than condecending ones saying "YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN". I never mentioned Shutt or Rivet. Why did you totally disregard the players I mentioned. Mike Keane went through the samething. He was blasted in the early 90's for saying he doesn't know how to speak French. One ignorant reporter was unfair to Koivu in a press conference last year as well. Where have you been?

It's not just "asking" a player to speak French that is a deterrant, it's the social aspects when players with kids have to move and send their kids to French school.

If you think these issues don't effect a player's decision then you are naive.
You should read the second to last post before yopur reply to me. Language is no issue. Just an excuse for loser like you !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
You should read the second to last post before yopur reply to me. Language is no issue. Just an excuse for loser like you !
Now you're calling me a loser eh. Listen buddy, I don't have to read another post to read the kind of comments you're posting on here. You're outta here. Mods?

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote