HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Can't say I am terribly upset. I am actually kind of happy because it seems like Homer has been controlling himself in regards to trades this year
Thinking about it, one of Bernier/Reimer will be available next off-season at the latest.
If Mason fails and Bryz won't improve we could get another project.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
healthyscratch

Old
06-23-2013, 11:57 AM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Overpayment by the leafs IMO, very happy Holmgren didn't do this trade after all. No way a 20 goal scorer and solid two way player in Read was worth trading for an unproven RFA goalie

Old
06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Ah well. I guess LA wanted someone under team control for several years. Plus the fact we couldn't offer a legit backup goalie back probably played a part in it. Kudos to Homer for having the guts to walk away rather than overpay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Dito.
Is Read going to stay now or do we try to get a pick or something for him?
We won't resign him after next season. It's the same situation we were in with RJ Umberger.
Situations are kinda different. With Umberger we had a logjam at center (Richards/Briere/Carter and Giroux on the way). At wing, Read has a legit top 6 role for the foreseeable future. I also don't see it being that big a struggle to resign Read. Timonen/Mez both off the books next offseason gives 10 million to play with. Schenn probably wont get a big bump in caphit.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Overpayment by the leafs IMO, very happy Holmgren didn't do this trade after all. No way a 20 goal scorer and solid two way player in Read was worth trading for an unproven RFA goalie
how is it an over payment?

Frattin is a dime-a-dozen bottom 6 forward, Scrivens is a career back-up and the 2nd a question mark

do they actually think that return is better than getting Read?

regardless, I'm glad we never got Bernier

Don't understand why the Leafs made this trade though. Poor Reimer. He got them into the playoffs and 7 games with BOS, now they go out nad make this trade letting him know he isn't good enough in their eyes.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I would have done a similar package of Read, 2nd in 2014 or 2015, and whatever Philly's version of Scrivens is (Heeter?). Wouldn't have been a steal or anything, but I think I would have paid that.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Damaged Goods

Eh, let's try to Offer Sheet Bernier next week anyway.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Kings got robbed lol. Frattin never has even broke 20 points in his NHL career and he's already 25.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Are you kidding, they traded basically a 2nd round pick at their option for Bernier. Frattin and Scrivens are just two JAGs. That's a great trade for Toronto.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Are you kidding, they traded basically a 2nd round pick at their option for Bernier. Frattin and Scrivens are just two JAGs. That's a great trade for Toronto.
Frattin isn't a throwaway player. Neither Scrivens. Kings got quality in the trade, just nothing game-breaking.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Situations are kinda different. With Umberger we had a logjam at center (Richards/Briere/Carter and Giroux on the way). At wing, Read has a legit top 6 role for the foreseeable future. I also don't see it being that big a struggle to resign Read. Timonen/Mez both off the books next offseason gives 10 million to play with. Schenn probably wont get a big bump in caphit.
You're forgetting Giroux and Couturier up for new deals too (specifically Giroux).

Old
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
JayB

I would go for Coburn <-> 7th pick. And if we have second trade coming like Couturier+Read <-> Ryan+Sbisa.

Coburn -> Sbisa
Couturier -> Ryan
Read -> 7th

And still we have 11th pick. Awesome.

And with those picks we can get two of Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Morin, Pulock. And if we are lucky there can be also Nichuskin, Monahan, Domi, Horvat, Lindholm...

In one summer, Streit+Ryan+Sbisa and Zadorov/Nurse+Nichuskin. Just a dream.

Last edited by JayB: 06-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Kings got quality in the trade
Whatever helps you sleep. I disagree.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
This displeases me greatly

Old
06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Frattin isn't a throwaway player. Neither Scrivens. Kings got quality in the trade, just nothing game-breaking.
they got quantity (depth) not quality

Old
06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Glad we lost out on him. One less stupid trade to make

Old
06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I don't understand why people are upset we didn't get Bernier. Do you really want to go with Bernier and Mason? Neither goalie has proved they're starting material. We already have one younger goalie we're hoping can reach their potential, do you really want two?

No thanks. I'd much rather hold onto Read, let Mason show us what he has and bring in another veteran goalie (or even keep Bryz for another season)

Old
06-23-2013, 12:25 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
how is it an over payment?

Frattin is a dime-a-dozen bottom 6 forward, Scrivens is a career back-up and the 2nd a question mark

do they actually think that return is better than getting Read?

regardless, I'm glad we never got Bernier

Don't understand why the Leafs made this trade though. Poor Reimer. He got them into the playoffs and 7 games with BOS, now they go out nad make this trade letting him know he isn't good enough in their eyes.
Frattin was really starting to come into his own this season and a second in a deep draft has worth too. I'm not saying that it was a really bad trade or Bernieris going to be a bust, but a lot more than I would have wanted to give up for a goalie who has been playing backup his whole NHL career so far.

Again, in order to get him someone was going to have to put up a decent package but I can't see atleast from a flyers prospective giving up a player like Matt Read would have made sense for a guy like Bernier. Steve Mason who had a few bad seasons but was also a vezina candidate was had for a draft pick. The same goes for bobrovsky. The whole deal was based on potential and personally, that's not good enough for me to put up a good package like Matt Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd. To each his own though

Old
06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I don't understand why people are upset we didn't get Bernier. Do you really want to go with Bernier and Mason? Neither goalie has proved they're starting material. We already have one younger goalie we're hoping can reach their potential, do you really want two?

No thanks. I'd much rather hold onto Read, let Mason show us what he has and bring in another veteran goalie (or even keep Bryz for another season)
Its called hoping one sticks.

I have some interesting news. The flyers are not winning the cup next season. The hope should be that we peak in 2 more years. Guess we are all in on mason.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I'm warning up to the idea of a Mason/Emery tandem. I think that's the worse we could do and it's not even that bad.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:31 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Frattin and scrivens are two decent players, not jus jags. Would you be willing to give up two players and a 2nd round pick in a deep draft for a goalie who is unproven and needs a new contract because he's an RFA? Also, if someone were to offer sheet him like a lot of people were saying and you have to pay him $3.2-3.4 mil for a goalie who has played backup his whole career, would you feel comfortable with that? Personally I wouldn't, but I'm not in a situation where it affects me either way and I'm happy the leafs took the plunge and not the flyers

Old
06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:

I agree 100%, the flyers need to hold onto their young good players and start building from within instead of trading packages to get players who "may pan out"

Old
06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Hate to say it, but i do think Bryz staying just went up alot. I was starting to lean towards a buyout but now i think he stays.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
hockeyfreak7

Damn. I wanted Bernier. I think it's very possible that LA simply likes Frattin better than Read. Frattin is a pretty good young player. I would have offered Read+2nd if it came down to it. It's possible that Holmgren did offer that, but LA went with Toronto's package instead.

Bernier will be a great goalie in this league. And people will inevitably criticize Holmgren for not landing him when he does even though many are praising his restraint right now.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hate to say it, but i do think Bryz staying just went up alot. I was starting to lean towards a buyout but now i think he stays.
Which has made my day somber. I don't like the guy and how he blames the team and media for his suckitude. Oh well. Holmgren is why the team is in this situation.

Closed Thread