HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Frattin and scrivens are two decent players, not jus jags. Would you be willing to give up two players and a 2nd round pick in a deep draft for a goalie who is unproven and needs a new contract because he's an RFA? Also, if someone were to offer sheet him like a lot of people were saying and you have to pay him $3.2-3.4 mil for a goalie who has played backup his whole career, would you feel comfortable with that? Personally I wouldn't, but I'm not in a situation where it affects me either way and I'm happy the leafs took the plunge and not the flyers
The 2nd rounder is either 2013 or 2014 depending on Toronto's choice. I would imagine they elect for 2014.

Frattin's a decent bottom 6 player and Scrivens is a decent backup. They added some depth but it's nothing really to write home about.

I would argue the 2nd rounder is the most valuable thing going back and it's not really that valuable to begin with.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:36 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Damn. I wanted Bernier. I think it's very possible that LA simply likes Frattin better than Read. Frattin is a pretty good young player. I would have offered Read+2nd if it came down to it. It's possible that Holmgren did offer that, but LA went with Toronto's package instead.

Bernier will be a great goalie in this league. And people will inevitably criticize Holmgren for not landing him when he does even though many are praising his restraint right now.
And if Bernier doesn't live up to his potential, people will still find a way to pan Homer for whatever reason

Old
06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Damn. I wanted Bernier. I think it's very possible that LA simply likes Frattin better than Read. Frattin is a pretty good young player. I would have offered Read+2nd if it came down to it. It's possible that Holmgren did offer that, but LA went with Toronto's package instead.

Bernier will be a great goalie in this league. And people will inevitably criticize Holmgren for not landing him when he does even though many are praising his restraint right now.
He'll be easier to retain next summer than Read and they added a backup goalie. I think that was the closer in this.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Eh, let's try to Offer Sheet Bernier next week anyway.
I was thinking the same idea can homer do that if Bernier doesnt sign and becomes a RFA July 5 and would Toronto match where is Toronto as far as the cap goes? I would laugh if Homer tried to offer sheet him.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's cost controlled longer than Read and they added a backup goalie. I think that was the closer in this.
I agree. I don't think it was Holmgren's "restraint" rather than DL liking the Toronto offer more.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
I agree 100%, the flyers need to hold onto their young good players and start building from within instead of trading packages to get players who "may pan out"
What are the chances Matt Read stays beyond next season?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Both fan bases are happy, so the early results are win-win. The trade is entirely dependent on how Bernier plays as a starter, because all I see going the other way is depth replacement.

06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
I was thinking the same idea can homer do that if Bernier doesnt sign and becomes a RFA July 5 and would Toronto match where is Toronto as far as the cap goes? I would laugh if Homer tried to offer sheet him.
I think Toronto locks up Bernier in a couple of days. I doubt he reaches that point. It would be a classic Homer troll job if it got to that point and he went through with it.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

the rumour is they wanted Couturier for Bernier? Obviously they didn't want to make the deal with us

Old
06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
depends on how much $$$ Read wants

Old
06-23-2013, 12:43 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Which has made my day somber. I don't like the guy and how he blames the team and media for his suckitude. Oh well. Holmgren is why the team is in this situation.
I could think of a lot of worse things than having Bryz on this team, at least for another season.
People have quickly forgotten that he was the only reason the Flyers even were in a lot of games early last season. He's not at fault for us not making the playoffs.
Wether I like his contract for the rest of it's duration vs. a buyout I'm not sure, but alot of it also depends on Mason. I don't think we are in a bad spot right now, concerning our crease.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the rumour is they wanted Couturier for Bernier? Obviously they didn't want to make the deal with us
It's almost like other GMs always ask for Couturier. It's almost like a hit piece.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I agree. I don't think it was Holmgren's "restraint" rather than DL liking the Toronto offer more.
I edited my post after I looked up Frattin's current deal. His deal runs up next summer too but I don't think he'll be in line for a big raise like Read. He's only two years younger than Read too so it's not like he's in his early 20's either.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I could think of a lot of worse things than having Bryz on this team, at least for another season.
People have quickly forgotten that he was the only reason the Flyers even were in a lot of games early last season. He's not at fault for us not making the playoffs.
Wether I like his contract for the rest of it's duration vs. a buyout I'm not sure, but alot of it also depends on Mason. I don't think we are in a bad spot right now, concerning our crease.
Yes we are in a bad spot. For his level of play that cap hit is not justified. This team could be stronger in other areas.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Envy of the league: A netminder who posts pedestrian numbers in a system that doesn't play to his strengths, on a long, long term contract that can carry a recapture penalty.

Flyers are in a great spot.

Bryz keeps the Flyers in a few games every season, but also loses a few as well. This would be a normal give and take, but for that money, you want better than that. Watching non-Flyers hockey around the league, watching how other netminders play, Bryz kills you at that price. Some goaltenders simply anchor their team the majority of the season and inspire confidence. Every time a shot goes in on Bryz I cringe.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
A lot will go into that such as contracts for Giroux, coots, schenn, etc. but with timmonen and mez coming off, it will clear over $10 mil in cap space. If the flyers were to buy out Bryz that would be over $15 mil in cap space. With the cap most likely to go up, the flyers may have enough space to keep him. Read likes it here and is a good player. If he doesn't command too much money, I'm sure the flyers will do a lot to keep him. Do you agree?

Old
06-23-2013, 01:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Envy of the league: A netminder who posts pedestrian numbers in a system that doesn't play to his strengths, on a long, long term contract that can carry a recapture penalty.

Flyers are in a great spot.

Bryz keeps the Flyers in a few games every season, but also loses a few as well. This would be a normal give and take, but for that money, you want better than that. Watching non-Flyers hockey around the league, watching how other netminders play, Bryz kills you at that price. Some goaltenders simply anchor their team the majority of the season and inspire confidence. Every time a shot goes in on Bryz I cringe.
Yup, I'm amazed that there's still people who go all out on here to defend his play.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
A lot will go into that such as contracts for Giroux, coots, schenn, etc. but with timmonen and mez coming off, it will clear over $10 mil in cap space. If the flyers were to buy out Bryz that would be over $15 mil in cap space. With the cap most likely to go up, the flyers may have enough space to keep him. Read likes it here and is a good player. If he doesn't command too much money, I'm sure the flyers will do a lot to keep him. Do you agree?
Sounds great in theory and logical yes, but you know he'll find other ways to be knocking on the cap door, costing us someone.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Sounds great in theory and logical yes, but you know he'll find other ways to be knocking on the cap door, costing us someone.
Haha that's a given

Old
06-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Roman Reigns

Can't say Im that upset. although this probably means we keep Bryz for another year. Then again, maybe Homer has interest in one of the ufa goalies and signs them to a cheap 1 year deal.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Can't say Im that upset. although this probably means we keep Bryz for another year. Then again, maybe Homer has interest in one of the ufa goalies and signs them to a cheap 1 year deal.
My thoughts as well.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:32 PM
XDevilBoiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I'm kinda upset we didn't get him. When has Homer sign anyone on a cheap and 1 year deal? Everyone knows they can bend Homer over easily and why wouldn't they.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:38 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Kings got robbed lol. Frattin never has even broke 20 points in his NHL career and he's already 25.
Frattin was playing college hockey until he was 23. First pro experience was last year as a 24 year old, had a decent rookie year, completely tore up the AHL playoffs before destroying his knee scoring an empty netter to send our team to the next round of the playoffs, and then this past year he started strong with 10 points in 10 games, then his knee flared up again and he wasn't the same.

28 points in 82 games over 2 NHL seasons.
48 points, 33 goals, 15 assists in 57 AHL games over two seasons.

I'm sure as **** Frattin will be at worst a 15/20 goal scorer each and every year. Exactly the type of guy LA likes as well.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Dreger saying dion phaneuf could be available. I'm sure we will be linked to him

Old
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Dreger saying dion phaneuf could be available. I'm sure we will be linked to him
Hopefully we stay away. He's not worth what you probably have to give up. I think him & Luke Schenn had some type of issue with each other in Toronto too and then there's Hartnell lol.

Closed Thread