HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo

Old
06-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Luongo

What is the value of Roberto Luongo and what teams will be interested in him now?

The Leafs were reportedly offered Luongo for two 2nd round picks and Ben Scrivens, which Dave Nonis declined. Nonis then flipped a 2nd and Scrivens along with Frattin for Jonathan Bernier.

Which team is a suitable partner for Luongo now after the speculated team (Leafs) got a different goalie instead?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

I have no idea what teams might be interested.

NYI?
Minnesota?
Philadelphia?
New Jersey?

Could just as easily be someone who hasn't been discussed at all yet.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
JFG

It would be so interesting to see Luongo in Philly!

JFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
One M0RE YEAR

NYI or Florida?

One M0RE YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What is the value of Roberto Luongo and what teams will be interested in him now?

The Leafs were reportedly offered Luongo for two 2nd round picks and Ben Scrivens, which Dave Nonis declined. Nonis then flipped a 2nd and Scrivens along with Frattin for Jonathan Bernier.

Which team is a suitable partner for Luongo now after the speculated team (Leafs) got a different goalie instead?
Just to be clear, that was Dreger, Nonis' cousin and long time Leafs mouthpiece that had reported that. I can't remember anyone else verifying or reporting that either.

The Leafs haven't really been considered as a destination (at least by Canucks fans or Leafs fans) since last summer. We played nice for a little bit, but I don't think either fan base is devastated by this news.

So really, it just seems that Bernier is no longer an option for any other possibly, remotely, interested teams.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Just to be clear, that was Dreger, Nonis' cousin and long time Leafs mouthpiece that had reported that. I can't remember anyone else verifying or reporting that either.

The Leafs haven't really been considered as a destination (at least by Canucks fans or Leafs fans) since last summer. We played nice for a little bit, but I don't think either fan base is devastated by this news.

So really, it just seems that Bernier is no longer an option for any other possibly, remotely, interested teams.
I think it may almost be good news, it may just make some other teams more desperate, the team I am still watching is Philly. I think NYI will probably still roll with what they have, but from everything we have heard, Bryz is done in Philly. They will need someone.

Still think it makes sense for them to trade us Briere to buyout, and they can even resign him then if they want. Then we can get fair value for Lu too.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Since Toronto was one of the teams that was intersted and had talks about Luongo and now that they have traded for Bernier, I think whatever value Mike Gillis thought Luongo would bring went down even more. I say that because with the Leafs out of the discussion what other teams are left to take on Luongo and his contract?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:52 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
NYI?
I don't think Loungo's contract which pays him 6.7M(but a caphit of 5.3M) would be viewed as a positive for Wang & Co.

Loungo will have positive value for some teams, so I don't think the Islanders looking at him negatively will make for good trading partners(although the very unlikely scenario of Vancouver being forced to buyout Loungo might open up possibilities where the Islanders can give them a player who costs less to buyout).

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Nash

I think it's great that Toronto is out of the hunt just for the fact that the smear campaign against Luongo's perceived value can end from the media. It's already too late and the damage is done in that regard though.

There looks to be lots of goalie movement this offseason. After the last two post seasons, could Fleury be shipped somewhere else and Pittsburgh become a new destination? Who knows.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
We played nice for a little bit,
Like hell we did. Those threads were awful. Leafs and Canucks fans were anything but nice to each other.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Like hell we did. Those threads were awful. Leafs and Canucks fans were anything but nice to each other.
Ok, a few fans from each side played nice for a few back and forths, but ultimately, we got into peeing matches where feelings were hurt, players were trashed, and suspensions handed out.

That sounds much, much worse

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:03 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Canucks are still confident they will be able to trade Luongo. The Bernier trade takes the Leafs out of the mix.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Cloudedthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Since Toronto was one of the teams that was intersted and had talks about Luongo and now that they have traded for Bernier, I think whatever value Mike Gillis thought Luongo would bring went down even more. I say that because with the Leafs out of the discussion what other teams are left to take on Luongo and his contract?
Leafs where out of the convo for a long time now. I think if we compare Bernier to Lou it wont give us a true value. Contracts,age and team situations are different.

If Lou is packaged with some one else it could be a decent return or it could be meh.Who knows,wait a week..lol

Cloudedthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Canucks are still confident they will be able to trade Luongo. The Bernier trade takes the Leafs out of the mix.
I think it's fair to say this was a significant blow to Gillis. Not so much the market but finding a team willing to take on that money.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I think it's great that Toronto is out of the hunt just for the fact that the smear campaign against Luongo's perceived value can end from the media. It's already too late and the damage is done in that regard though.

There looks to be lots of goalie movement this offseason. After the last two post seasons, could Fleury be shipped somewhere else and Pittsburgh become a new destination? Who knows.
If anyone did a smear campaign of Luongo's value it was Luongo himself when he said "My contract sucks" when asked why he wasn't traded at the trade deadline. It's not the Toronto's media fault for picking up on him saying that. However well before that everyone knew the return for him wouldn't be a lot because of his contract.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
nmbr_24

I think the Canucks are in a pretty tough spot here. They should have moved him when they had the chance. Now who knows if Toronto making the deal they did effects this. Smith will be an UFA in a few days, he has to be more desirable than Luongo too. I get the feeling that Vancouver may be retaining some of that contract but who knows.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Cloudedthought

Its fair enough to say Gillis totally dropped the ball in trading Lou.
I think he is being kept on till the trade is made and used as a excuse for the poor return and fired.

I dont see Philly or the Isles making a play for Lou. Most likely a team we havent thought of or Florida.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Aqualung

Those teams looking for goaltenders may still have options on the free agent market.

There's still Backstrom, Thomas (maybe?), Nabakov, Smith, and even interestingly Khubodin.

Not sure if Luongo is worth the assets given up versus signing the free agent goaltenders, although, of that list I'd probably only seriously look at Backstrom, Smith, and maybe Thomas.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I think it's fair to say this was a significant blow to Gillis. Not so much the market but finding a team willing to take on that money.
I don't think Toronto was ever an option after the deadline anyways. I doubt it makes any difference.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

I honestly see Philly or Pittsburgh (if Fleury goes) as the two most interested. Long Island is a long shot possibility too.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Those teams looking for goaltenders may still have options on the free agent market.

There's still Backstrom, Thomas (maybe?), Nabakov, Smith, and even interestingly Khubodin.

Not sure if Luongo is worth the assets given up versus signing the free agent goaltenders.
Problem is in the game of musical chairs, whatever team loses Backstrom/Nabokov/Smith will be looking for a starter themselves.

Old
Cloudedthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If anyone did a smear campaign of Luongo's value it was Luongo himself when he said "My contract sucks" when asked why he wasn't traded at the trade deadline. It's not the Toronto's media fault for picking up on him saying that. However well before that everyone knew the return for him wouldn't be a lot because of his contract.
You think he didnt watch TSN? That comment came after all the b.s on the draft deadline and he was emotional. He stated the obvious anyways,no damage done in his value. Any deal made will be something that helps each team get out of a mess.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Take what LA got for Bernier and divide by zero.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Take what LA got for Bernier and divide by zero.
Infinity??????

Old
06-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Problem is in the game of musical chairs, whatever team loses Backstrom/Nabokov/Smith will be looking for a starter themselves.
For sure, but depends on how much either team losing a goaltender feels they can compete.

Possible teams include Phoenix, New Jersey, NYI, Philadelphia, Minnesota, and Edmonton.

Also there were rumors of Miller being traded. Not sure what happened to the goaltending situation in Buffalo.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote