HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild interested in Fleury

Old
06-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
Michael Russo is a Minnesota reporter, though, not a Pittsburgh reporter. so, since it came from a Wild source, i'm inclined to believe it. plus, Michael Russo is pretty much 100x better than the likes of Rob Rossi and anyone in TIOPS.
More importantly, the Wild being interested in Fleury doesn't contradict anything said by the Pens organization.

Any team can be interested in any player. That doesn't mean the other team is listening to offers...even if we think they should.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

If its Russo its legit.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
North Metro Peewees

Russo is one of the most legit beat writers in hockey. I know some Wild fans get annoyed because he doesn't throw out rumors but he has often said he won't report something unless he has two sources.

No offense to some in the business but they tend to use their peer reporters as sources which is just ridiculous. Reporters interviewing reporters does not constitute evidence something is being discussed.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Mats86

Kuemper has pretty good numbers, size...can't he take over some of goalie duties? Partner him with a free agent veteran.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Russo is one of the most legit beat writers in hockey. I know some Wild fans get annoyed because he doesn't throw out rumors but he has often said he won't report something unless he has two sources.

No offense to some in the business but they tend to use their peer reporters as sources which is just ridiculous. Reporters interviewing reporters does not constitute evidence something is being discussed.
He also called praise and suter signings

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:49 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

I'd move MAF before I moved Letang. Fleury is 28 and he isn't going to be getting any better. He has incredible regular seasons, but for whatever reason he doesn't have the mental game come playoffs. Can't win a cup with a goalie who breaks down like that. I really like MAF, but it may be time to move him. Unfortunately, his value is probably at an all time low after these last two playoffs performances. Regardless, we'd need to figure out some sort of replacement for MAF so moving him creates another problem...

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Does the Bernier trade mean that Minnesota's interest in MAF has risen?

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I hope not.

Let's finally re-sign Backstrom and stop the mind strategy game.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
HawkinMI

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'd say yes.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I'd be more confident with Kuemper/Gustafsson going forward rather than trading for Fluery.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:21 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Kadri View Post
I'd move MAF before I moved Letang. Fleury is 28 and he isn't going to be getting any better. He has incredible regular seasons, but for whatever reason he doesn't have the mental game come playoffs. Can't win a cup with a goalie who breaks down like that. I really like MAF, but it may be time to move him. Unfortunately, his value is probably at an all time low after these last two playoffs performances. Regardless, we'd need to figure out some sort of replacement for MAF so moving him creates another problem...
That's pretty ridiculous to say. Goalie is the one position where age doesn't really determine anything. Some of the best goaltenders put it together in their later years and have absolutely dominated. Fleury definitely has all the tools, if he ever finds his toolbox he will be scary. Or maybe just a team that can play proper defense for that matter.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
50/50 I think they are using Fleury as leverage.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Kadri View Post

Except for the fact he already won a Cup, and played incredible in the year we lost in the SCF. A change of scenery may be exactly what MAF needs, and it may also be the shake-up that the Pens locker needs. Could be one of those trades where both sides win.

That said, I think MAF still will have a pretty good return, but I'm not sure I'd trade him.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:00 PM
superhenderson13

as a penguins fan, im not ready to give up on MAF.

what im ready to give up on is the MAF/Dan Bylsma marriage.

this is a pair that will never work for the penguins.

MAF needs a system where his defense covers their assignments like blankets and keeps traffic out of his crease. his athletic ability is second to none, but what gets him in trouble is his positioning. that is why vokoun played so well for the penguins, he is the complete opposite. he isn't the athlete he used to be, but his positioning is one of the best in the league.

bylsma's run and gun offensive system leaves goalies out to dry more times than not. MAF is not a guy who can play with no defensive structure in front of him.

MAF is a good goalie, it is no fluke that he went to the cup twice and won one. the reason is that those two years were the years that the penguins were playing their most defensive hockey since MAF came to Pitt.

if you get a better system, MAF can survive. If you keep bylsma's system, there is no point in keeping MAF.

and I don't want to trade him now if we are going to. his value is extremely low right now. would be better to wait.

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post

MAF needs a system where his defense covers their assignments like blankets and keeps traffic out of his crease. his athletic ability is second to none, but what gets him in trouble is his positioning. that is why vokoun played so well for the penguins, he is the complete opposite. he isn't the athlete he used to be, but his positioning is one of the best in the league.

bylsma's run and gun offensive system leaves goalies out to dry more times than not. MAF is not a guy who can play with no defensive structure in front of him.

MAF is a good goalie, it is no fluke that he went to the cup twice and won one. the reason is that those two years were the years that the penguins were playing their most defensive hockey since MAF came to Pitt.

if you get a better system, MAF can survive. If you keep bylsma's system, there is no point in keeping MAF.

and I don't want to trade him now if we are going to. his value is extremely low right now. would be better to wait.

If positioning is in fact the difference between MAF and TV, then you are blaming the wrong coach.

However, here is why I disagree with your post.
1) An athletic goalie will always have a better chance at stopping a defensive meltdown than a "technique" guy. Look at NYR for example. When the Rangers play great D, Hank is just about unbeatable because of his positioning, technique, etc. It's when their defensive system breaks down that Hank becomes vulnerable. Position guys flourish in a defensive system.

2) If MAF simply couldn't perform due to Bylsma's system, MAF wouldn't be able to be as good as he is in the regular season. The fact that he can perform in the regular season, and not in the playoffs lately, would indicate more of a mental issue with the playoffs, rather than some technique flaw or being in an inappropriate system.

MAF has the tools to play behind any defensive system....he just needs to get his mental game in focus.

Old
06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 14000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
If positioning is in fact the difference between MAF and TV, then you are blaming the wrong coach.

1) An athletic goalie will always have a better chance at stopping a defensive meltdown than a "technique" guy. Look at NYR for example. When the Rangers play great D, Hank is just about unbeatable because of his positioning, technique, etc. It's when their defensive system breaks down that Hank becomes vulnerable. Position guys flourish in a defensive system.

2) If MAF simply couldn't perform due to Bylsma's system, MAF wouldn't be able to be as good as he is in the regular season. The fact that he can perform in the regular season, and not in the playoffs lately, would indicate more of a mental issue with the playoffs, rather than some technique flaw or being in an inappropriate system.

MAF has the tools to play behind any defensive system....he just needs to get his mental game in focus.
MAF I think would be great in Minnesota.. wouldn't be that expensive and Yeo runs a system very close to Pittsburgh's. He used to be the assistant coach for Pittsburgh, as you probably know. I would say the Wild system is comparable, but a bit more defensive.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post

I find it hard to believe there are people in Pittsburgh who still think this.

The types of goals that Fleury lets in or kicks rebounds back into the slot on (long, weak wrist shots...weak shots from bad angles...any play that involves the puck crossing the icing line anywhere) are not the types of shots that are better prevented by any strategy that any coach other than Bylsma uses (keep the puck out of the zone as much as possible...when it's in the zone, allow no cross ice passes between the circles).

I've got some problems with Bylsma, but it's just crazy to blame him for Fleury's bad goals, which have been a fixture of his game in the playoffs every year he's been there (now, in the minors and in juniors)--other than 2008. Fleury was actually worse for Todd Richards than he ever has been for Dan Bylsma, which is startling.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
MAF I think would be great in Minnesota.. wouldn't be that expensive and Yeo runs a system very close to Pittsburgh's. He used to be the assistant coach for Pittsburgh, as you probably know. I would say the Wild system is comparable, but a bit more defensive.
You are correct, comparable to Pittsburgh with a little bit more of a defensive feel. I think that comes from Yeo's coaching career originating as a defensive assistant.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Get on it Minnesota!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

People like to point to MAF's regular seasons as though they stand out in some sort of way but they really don't. At least from what I've seen as a Flyers fan and the stats available. He usually posts somewhere around a .910 to .915 save percentage.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Will Minnesota's interest in Fleury go up now that Bernier has been traded to the Leafs?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Will Minnesota's interest in Fleury go up now that Bernier has been traded to the Leafs?
probably, but i don't expect it to go up that much.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Except for the fact he already won a Cup, and played incredible in the year we lost in the SCF. A change of scenery may be exactly what MAF needs, and it may also be the shake-up that the Pens locker needs. Could be one of those trades where both sides win.

That said, I think MAF still will have a pretty good return, but I'm not sure I'd trade him.
Except he didn't break down mentally when he won the cup...only every post season after

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Wild is a perfect destination for, Fleury. Defense, when you play it he makes most saves, but if you leave him out to dry, oh....boy....

Yeo, was under, MT. When they actuallly played defense.

I doubt anything comes of this.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
To Min:
Fleury
Letang

To Pit:
Granlund