HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild interested in Fleury

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2013, 07:29 PM
  #151
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
Michael Russo is a Minnesota reporter, though, not a Pittsburgh reporter. so, since it came from a Wild source, i'm inclined to believe it. plus, Michael Russo is pretty much 100x better than the likes of Rob Rossi and anyone in TIOPS.
More importantly, the Wild being interested in Fleury doesn't contradict anything said by the Pens organization.

Any team can be interested in any player. That doesn't mean the other team is listening to offers...even if we think they should.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  #152
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
If its Russo its legit.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
  #153
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Russo is one of the most legit beat writers in hockey. I know some Wild fans get annoyed because he doesn't throw out rumors but he has often said he won't report something unless he has two sources.

No offense to some in the business but they tend to use their peer reporters as sources which is just ridiculous. Reporters interviewing reporters does not constitute evidence something is being discussed.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:03 AM
  #154
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Kuemper has pretty good numbers, size...can't he take over some of goalie duties? Partner him with a free agent veteran.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
  #155
mwalluk
Registered User
 
mwalluk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Russo is one of the most legit beat writers in hockey. I know some Wild fans get annoyed because he doesn't throw out rumors but he has often said he won't report something unless he has two sources.

No offense to some in the business but they tend to use their peer reporters as sources which is just ridiculous. Reporters interviewing reporters does not constitute evidence something is being discussed.
He also called praise and suter signings

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:49 AM
  #156
CF Punk
Le Magnifique
 
CF Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peterborough, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,697
vCash: 500
I'd move MAF before I moved Letang. Fleury is 28 and he isn't going to be getting any better. He has incredible regular seasons, but for whatever reason he doesn't have the mental game come playoffs. Can't win a cup with a goalie who breaks down like that. I really like MAF, but it may be time to move him. Unfortunately, his value is probably at an all time low after these last two playoffs performances. Regardless, we'd need to figure out some sort of replacement for MAF so moving him creates another problem...

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
  #157
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes
 
Randy Butternubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,303
vCash: 500
Does the Bernier trade mean that Minnesota's interest in MAF has risen?

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  #158
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Does the Bernier trade mean that Minnesota's interest in MAF has risen?
I hope not.

Let's finally re-sign Backstrom and stop the mind strategy game.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  #159
HawkinMI
Registered User
 
HawkinMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Does the Bernier trade mean that Minnesota's interest in MAF has risen?
Unfortunately, I'd say yes.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  #160
Minnesota
Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 404
I'd be more confident with Kuemper/Gustafsson going forward rather than trading for Fluery.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:21 PM
  #161
DrDangles
Registered User
 
DrDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Kadri View Post
I'd move MAF before I moved Letang. Fleury is 28 and he isn't going to be getting any better. He has incredible regular seasons, but for whatever reason he doesn't have the mental game come playoffs. Can't win a cup with a goalie who breaks down like that. I really like MAF, but it may be time to move him. Unfortunately, his value is probably at an all time low after these last two playoffs performances. Regardless, we'd need to figure out some sort of replacement for MAF so moving him creates another problem...
That's pretty ridiculous to say. Goalie is the one position where age doesn't really determine anything. Some of the best goaltenders put it together in their later years and have absolutely dominated. Fleury definitely has all the tools, if he ever finds his toolbox he will be scary. Or maybe just a team that can play proper defense for that matter.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:37 PM
  #162
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Does the Bernier trade mean that Minnesota's interest in MAF has risen?
50/50 I think they are using Fleury as leverage.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
  #163
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?
 
Ogelthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Kadri View Post
I'd move MAF before I moved Letang. Fleury is 28 and he isn't going to be getting any better. He has incredible regular seasons, but for whatever reason he doesn't have the mental game come playoffs. Can't win a cup with a goalie who breaks down like that. I really like MAF, but it may be time to move him. Unfortunately, his value is probably at an all time low after these last two playoffs performances. Regardless, we'd need to figure out some sort of replacement for MAF so moving him creates another problem...

Except for the fact he already won a Cup, and played incredible in the year we lost in the SCF. A change of scenery may be exactly what MAF needs, and it may also be the shake-up that the Pens locker needs. Could be one of those trades where both sides win.

That said, I think MAF still will have a pretty good return, but I'm not sure I'd trade him.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:00 PM
  #164
superhenderson13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
as a penguins fan, im not ready to give up on MAF.

what im ready to give up on is the MAF/Dan Bylsma marriage.

this is a pair that will never work for the penguins.

MAF needs a system where his defense covers their assignments like blankets and keeps traffic out of his crease. his athletic ability is second to none, but what gets him in trouble is his positioning. that is why vokoun played so well for the penguins, he is the complete opposite. he isn't the athlete he used to be, but his positioning is one of the best in the league.

bylsma's run and gun offensive system leaves goalies out to dry more times than not. MAF is not a guy who can play with no defensive structure in front of him.

MAF is a good goalie, it is no fluke that he went to the cup twice and won one. the reason is that those two years were the years that the penguins were playing their most defensive hockey since MAF came to Pitt.

if you get a better system, MAF can survive. If you keep bylsma's system, there is no point in keeping MAF.

and I don't want to trade him now if we are going to. his value is extremely low right now. would be better to wait.

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:29 PM
  #165
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?
 
Ogelthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
as a penguins fan, im not ready to give up on MAF.

what im ready to give up on is the MAF/Dan Bylsma marriage.

this is a pair that will never work for the penguins.

MAF needs a system where his defense covers their assignments like blankets and keeps traffic out of his crease. his athletic ability is second to none, but what gets him in trouble is his positioning. that is why vokoun played so well for the penguins, he is the complete opposite. he isn't the athlete he used to be, but his positioning is one of the best in the league.

bylsma's run and gun offensive system leaves goalies out to dry more times than not. MAF is not a guy who can play with no defensive structure in front of him.

MAF is a good goalie, it is no fluke that he went to the cup twice and won one. the reason is that those two years were the years that the penguins were playing their most defensive hockey since MAF came to Pitt.

if you get a better system, MAF can survive. If you keep bylsma's system, there is no point in keeping MAF.

and I don't want to trade him now if we are going to. his value is extremely low right now. would be better to wait.

If positioning is in fact the difference between MAF and TV, then you are blaming the wrong coach.

However, here is why I disagree with your post.
1) An athletic goalie will always have a better chance at stopping a defensive meltdown than a "technique" guy. Look at NYR for example. When the Rangers play great D, Hank is just about unbeatable because of his positioning, technique, etc. It's when their defensive system breaks down that Hank becomes vulnerable. Position guys flourish in a defensive system.

2) If MAF simply couldn't perform due to Bylsma's system, MAF wouldn't be able to be as good as he is in the regular season. The fact that he can perform in the regular season, and not in the playoffs lately, would indicate more of a mental issue with the playoffs, rather than some technique flaw or being in an inappropriate system.

MAF has the tools to play behind any defensive system....he just needs to get his mental game in focus.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
  #166
Stopping Pucks
Registered User
 
Stopping Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 14000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
If positioning is in fact the difference between MAF and TV, then you are blaming the wrong coach.

However, here is why I disagree with your post.
1) An athletic goalie will always have a better chance at stopping a defensive meltdown than a "technique" guy. Look at NYR for example. When the Rangers play great D, Hank is just about unbeatable because of his positioning, technique, etc. It's when their defensive system breaks down that Hank becomes vulnerable. Position guys flourish in a defensive system.

2) If MAF simply couldn't perform due to Bylsma's system, MAF wouldn't be able to be as good as he is in the regular season. The fact that he can perform in the regular season, and not in the playoffs lately, would indicate more of a mental issue with the playoffs, rather than some technique flaw or being in an inappropriate system.

MAF has the tools to play behind any defensive system....he just needs to get his mental game in focus.
MAF I think would be great in Minnesota.. wouldn't be that expensive and Yeo runs a system very close to Pittsburgh's. He used to be the assistant coach for Pittsburgh, as you probably know. I would say the Wild system is comparable, but a bit more defensive.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
  #167
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
as a penguins fan, im not ready to give up on MAF.

what im ready to give up on is the MAF/Dan Bylsma marriage.

this is a pair that will never work for the penguins.

MAF needs a system where his defense covers their assignments like blankets and keeps traffic out of his crease. his athletic ability is second to none, but what gets him in trouble is his positioning. that is why vokoun played so well for the penguins, he is the complete opposite. he isn't the athlete he used to be, but his positioning is one of the best in the league.

bylsma's run and gun offensive system leaves goalies out to dry more times than not. MAF is not a guy who can play with no defensive structure in front of him.

MAF is a good goalie, it is no fluke that he went to the cup twice and won one. the reason is that those two years were the years that the penguins were playing their most defensive hockey since MAF came to Pitt.

if you get a better system, MAF can survive. If you keep bylsma's system, there is no point in keeping MAF.

and I don't want to trade him now if we are going to. his value is extremely low right now. would be better to wait.
I find it hard to believe there are people in Pittsburgh who still think this.

The types of goals that Fleury lets in or kicks rebounds back into the slot on (long, weak wrist shots...weak shots from bad angles...any play that involves the puck crossing the icing line anywhere) are not the types of shots that are better prevented by any strategy that any coach other than Bylsma uses (keep the puck out of the zone as much as possible...when it's in the zone, allow no cross ice passes between the circles).

I've got some problems with Bylsma, but it's just crazy to blame him for Fleury's bad goals, which have been a fixture of his game in the playoffs every year he's been there (now, in the minors and in juniors)--other than 2008. Fleury was actually worse for Todd Richards than he ever has been for Dan Bylsma, which is startling.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
  #168
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?
 
Ogelthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
MAF I think would be great in Minnesota.. wouldn't be that expensive and Yeo runs a system very close to Pittsburgh's. He used to be the assistant coach for Pittsburgh, as you probably know. I would say the Wild system is comparable, but a bit more defensive.
You are correct, comparable to Pittsburgh with a little bit more of a defensive feel. I think that comes from Yeo's coaching career originating as a defensive assistant.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:07 PM
  #169
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500
Get on it Minnesota!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
  #170
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
If positioning is in fact the difference between MAF and TV, then you are blaming the wrong coach.

However, here is why I disagree with your post.
1) An athletic goalie will always have a better chance at stopping a defensive meltdown than a "technique" guy. Look at NYR for example. When the Rangers play great D, Hank is just about unbeatable because of his positioning, technique, etc. It's when their defensive system breaks down that Hank becomes vulnerable. Position guys flourish in a defensive system.

2) If MAF simply couldn't perform due to Bylsma's system, MAF wouldn't be able to be as good as he is in the regular season. The fact that he can perform in the regular season, and not in the playoffs lately, would indicate more of a mental issue with the playoffs, rather than some technique flaw or being in an inappropriate system.

MAF has the tools to play behind any defensive system....he just needs to get his mental game in focus.
People like to point to MAF's regular seasons as though they stand out in some sort of way but they really don't. At least from what I've seen as a Flyers fan and the stats available. He usually posts somewhere around a .910 to .915 save percentage.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:33 PM
  #171
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 69,192
vCash: 50
Will Minnesota's interest in Fleury go up now that Bernier has been traded to the Leafs?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
  #172
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Will Minnesota's interest in Fleury go up now that Bernier has been traded to the Leafs?
probably, but i don't expect it to go up that much.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
  #173
CF Punk
Le Magnifique
 
CF Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peterborough, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
Except for the fact he already won a Cup, and played incredible in the year we lost in the SCF. A change of scenery may be exactly what MAF needs, and it may also be the shake-up that the Pens locker needs. Could be one of those trades where both sides win.

That said, I think MAF still will have a pretty good return, but I'm not sure I'd trade him.
Except he didn't break down mentally when he won the cup...only every post season after

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:26 PM
  #174
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,144
vCash: 500
Wild is a perfect destination for, Fleury. Defense, when you play it he makes most saves, but if you leave him out to dry, oh....boy....

Yeo, was under, MT. When they actuallly played defense.

I doubt anything comes of this.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
  #175
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Paris
Country: Qatar
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 1660
To Min:
Fleury
Letang

To Pit:
Granlund
Clutterbuck
Kuemper
3rd

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.