HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Old
06-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Dylonus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Does anyone here drink muscle milk? i've had it for a few weeks. I've read it's not bad for you, either. Zero sugar in it, 20G protein. It's a little pricey, like almost $3 per bottle.
I know I already quoted you on this, but go to GNC. They have the bottles I was referring to (I think you were) in boxes of 12 for like 23 dollars, and they're B1G1 1/2 off right now.

Around $35 for 24 isn't that. That drops them to about $1.50 each. Much better than the $2.89 they are individually.

Like I said, they're perfect to lose weight, too. Gives you a boost for Protein but they're very low in calories (about 150) so it can basically replace a whole meal for you.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
About 6 years ago I bought a Schwinn 430 elliptical on Amazon.com for $600. It has held up really well from a quality standpoint, but it lacks some of the nice features you get on the gym-quality ones like articulating pedals and such. But for that kind of money, you can't expect too much, and it does provide every bit as good of a workout.

It looks like that one is no longer available, but has been replaced by either the 420 (http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-420-El...inn+elliptical) or the 425 (http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-100321...b_title_sports)

The A40 looks really inexpensive, but kind of chintzy. That said, its lighter than the others and would probably still give a solid workout.
Thanks...any issues with Huffy? The reviews on them seem to be all over the board.

I'm really trying to keep the cost down, but they seem to be decent options for what I'd pay. A half-decent treadmill isn't going to be that much less and ellipticals are far better for someone with arthritis. When I was at my healthiest/fittest/actually skinny it was because I had regular access to one of those, which hasn't happened in the past year and a half and my back has fallen to ****, which of course was followed by some unwelcome weight gain...I was contemplating a gym membership, but that's just not going to happen, not when it involves commuting across Hollywood. The only way to make sure I actually use a machine is if I have no excuse not to...an hour round-trip is way too good of an excuse for me

(except instead of Liz Lemon I look like Zach Galifianakis and I'm chewing on a steak)

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If you can do one pull up, that's all you need for now. Here is an easy way to build yourself into a pull-up machine:

2-3 times a week do 12 sets of one pull up each. Rest 45s - min in between sets.

When you can do two pull-ups in a row, move it up to 6 sets 2 reps. Rest between sets.

Then when you can do three, do 4x3.

Keep slowly building up your reps per set and you'll be surprised how easily you can crank out pull-ups in a month or two. Then start experimenting with hand grip positions to make it harder.
Thanks.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Thanks...any issues with Huffy? The reviews on them seem to be all over the board.

I'm really trying to keep the cost down, but they seem to be decent options for what I'd pay. A half-decent treadmill isn't going to be that much less and ellipticals are far better for someone with arthritis. When I was at my healthiest/fittest/actually skinny it was because I had regular access to one of those, which hasn't happened in the past year and a half and my back has fallen to ****, which of course was followed by some unwelcome weight gain...I was contemplating a gym membership, but that's just not going to happen, not when it involves commuting across Hollywood. The only way to make sure I actually use a machine is if I have no excuse not to...an hour round-trip is way too good of an excuse for me

(except instead of Liz Lemon I look like Zach Galifianakis and I'm chewing on a steak)
The one I have is definitely nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. It's got a non-backlit display on it that is very basic. It takes forever to get your weight entered when you use the programs because it only has an up and down arrow, but it remembers the weight after you enter it. Unfortunately, my wife and I both use it and since she is a foot shorter, her weight is much lower, so we always have to adjust it back and forth. Usually I will just leave it on her weight, as it makes the calorie burn count slower so I feel more motivated to push harder. It has a lot of different programs and a large number of resistance settings.

That said, I greatly prefer the gym ellipticals over mine. The major difference is that the ones at the gym have like a cushioned pedal that slightly flexes down when you push on it to cushion your stride a little bit. The Schwinn does not have that. The pedals at the gym seem to be made of a rubber. These are plastic. The ones at the gym have varying handle positions, these are stuck in one standard position. Mine has no fan. I think some of these newer ones do have a fan. The ones at the gym calculate your heart rate in like 3 seconds. This takes about 30 seconds to get it right. The ones at the gym have TVs and ipod docks. These appear to have some kind of speakers, but mine had none.

But for like $550 - $600, it's a very reasonable alternative, and it's a great workout. I can ramp up the difficulty settings on mine to levels that I struggle with, and I am in great shape and have very strong legs. It's nice to be able to exercise in your own home too, when you need to. But, it's also easy not to exercise once I go home, so I almost always stick to the gym.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You guys notice any difference with creatines? I just use quality creatine monohydrate powder. A friend's using that pricey CON-CRET stuff, but everything I've read suggests that as long as you get quality creatine, that CON-CRET jazz is just expensive window dressing.
I saw a big difference, but it's really not function-able. I have changed all my workouts to focus around my life. I don't want meat head muscles... I just want functionality in my daily life. I want to be able to play sports hard at 27 and not lose any skill. So I take a BCAA during the day and during my workout. I take a protein shake after my workout. I take hyper shred before my workout. It's a metabolism booster/energy pill.

Anything else doesn't really seem needed. Only thing I wish I did better was focus on nutrition. Workouts = great. I never committed fully to nutrition as I should. I eat healthy, but if someone wants to order a pizza, i go all-in. I don't care one bit.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I saw a big difference, but it's really not function-able. I have changed all my workouts to focus around my life. I don't want meat head muscles... I just want functionality in my daily life. I want to be able to play sports hard at 27 and not lose any skill. So I take a BCAA during the day and during my workout. I take a protein shake after my workout. I take hyper shred before my workout. It's a metabolism booster/energy pill.

Anything else doesn't really seem needed. Only thing I wish I did better was focus on nutrition. Workouts = great. I never committed fully to nutrition as I should. I eat healthy, but if someone wants to order a pizza, i go all-in. I don't care one bit.
Thanks Cole. Pretty much where I'm at, except I take a couple protein shakes a day and casein before bed, and I don't take any extra BCAAs since my protein shake seems to have that covered. I want sport functionality but I wouldn't mind a little extra show muscle as long as I don't go full "bro". Zubaz pants are a non-starter for me, haha.

I generally eat pretty well (lean meats, whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies), but if I'm out with friends I'm not gonna deprive myself of greazy eats. Gotta live.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
open0rclosed

Anyone have any blender recommendations? Of course I'd love a Vitamix but I can't justify paying $500-600 for a blender when I just want to make green smoothies to help get the nutrients in.

open0rclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by open0rclosed View Post
Anyone have any blender recommendations? Of course I'd love a Vitamix but I can't justify paying $500-600 for a blender when I just want to make green smoothies to help get the nutrients in.
Nutribullet's been good for me so far for making smoothies. Very powerful and extremely easy to clean. I love it. $100 at wally world or target.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Jiggy / anyone: recommendations for non-gym exercise to build upper back strength to balance off the "forward shoulder slump effect" from doing too many push-ups as a proportion of exercise (strong up front, weak in the back)?

I used to think Pull-ups would do that (wide set hands, forward-facing palms) but that's not been the case for me. Seems to strengthen my shoulders and the areas around my armpits more than anything else.

Wondering if there's something I can do with the iron gym for that but thinking not.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

One of my pedal straps just broke on my stationary exercise bike. Now I actually have to go for runs.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Any tips on losing stomach fat? Tips with underrated protein gaining foods that aren't fattening?
All of the research I've been doing lately is that belly fat is from processed foods, especially flours/sugars/white rice. I don't know your whole situation but you may want to look into that. I'd recommend the book "Wheat Belly" but I haven't read it yet - I'm #122 on the wait list in Raleigh, NC for one of 25 copies in our system. Apparently a lot of people have the same issue.

As I've already mentioned, I've been struggling with the same problem. After working out heavily, 4 times a week, for 8 months, I'm stuck with my gut. I'm going raw for 30 days starting the week after July 4th to see how that works. People think I'm crazy and will never do it but I've come to the realization that food is fuel and am not too particular about the taste.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Jiggy / anyone: recommendations for non-gym exercise to build upper back strength to balance off the "forward shoulder slump effect" from doing too many push-ups as a proportion of exercise (strong up front, weak in the back)?

I used to think Pull-ups would do that (wide set hands, forward-facing palms) but that's not been the case for me. Seems to strengthen my shoulders and the areas around my armpits more than anything else.

Wondering if there's something I can do with the iron gym for that but thinking not.
Try lateral pull ups, or bands and any way you can do a rowing motion. You don't want to do the entire motion of straightening your arms to concentrate more on your back. Otherwise, keep your elbows bent. Dumb bells to the side with pull ups with elbows bent will also work.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

What are you looking to strengthen CV? Lats, delts, traps?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

I use the muscle milk powder and add milk. Cheaper then buying the RTD ones.

It's also a little more expensive then other powders but I do it for the taste, which is a lot better then some others I've tried. Almost done with the 2 LB one and I already have a ' monster milk ' ready to go.
This one has more protein per serving

BTW. Has anyone tried that deer antler spray stuff? I heard a review about it and the guy mentioned it was great with recovery

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:

Try a closer grip chin up or inverted row.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Terrapin

First time I checked in on this thread. Pretty cool. I'll share my story.

In March I hopped on the scale, and almost puked as I was 222#. Highest I've ever been. I decided to get off my ass and get into shape. My diet was horrible (and i'm a Registered Dietitian! lol).

Anyway, I started doing a workout program called Supreme 90. A knockoff of the P90x. I don't follow it exactly. I picked some of the workouts i liked best. I do that 5 days a week, and run 2 days a week. I've been taking protein powder, and also CLA and a thero igniter to help lose fat and burn calories. I cleaned up my diet (still have the occassional treat), but I've cut down on my carbs (especially after 6:00pm). I workout first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. I try to make all my workouts and runs high intensity intervals, except for my weekly long run.

As of saturday, after I finished a 5 mile run, my weight was down to 199#. Lowest I've been in years. I still have these love handles though, and really haven't gained much muscle. I guess it's hard to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. My goal is to get down to like 185 or 190, then add 5 or 10# of muscle.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:

What you are describing (front shoulder slump) is more related to your natural body geometry than anything else. The muscles you need to develop to balance this out (to some degree) are your traps and rear delts. You could try Farmers Walks, rear fly's with an exercise band, upright rows (you will need weights and also use caution on these), shrugs, etc.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Shady Machine

The belly fat issue is really more about diet than working out. We need a huge reality check in the Western world. We eat FAR too many processed foods, refined sugars, and animal products. A diet centered around whole foods, whole grains, vegetables and fruits is the best way to slim the waist line, gain energy, and live a healthy and disease free life.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Flat stomachs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. The sooner people realize that getting to look like a Greek God is 90% diet, the better.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
cassius

I don't buy the notion that eating healthy is the ideal way to reduce belly fat. It's certainly a key factor, but you can't forget that you need to burn calories to get rid of fat.

The best way? Cardio *and* eating healthy.

Do 45 minutes of running/biking 3-4 days a week and you will be amazed by the results.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I don't buy the notion that eating healthy is the way to reduce belly fat. It's certainly a key factor, but you can't forget that you need to burn calories to get rid of fat.

The best way? Cardio.

Do 45 minutes of running/biking 3-4 days a week and you will be amazed by the results.
Oh for sure. My main point was that people focus far too much on working out and neglect diet. On top of that, people focus on all these bull**** special diets that restrict entire food groups (like no carb, high protein diets or vice versa). Carbs are not bad, bad carbs are bad (not saying you said any of this just responding to your post to agree with the cardio stuff).

Cut out the processed foods, refined sugars and white bread while adding in whole grains. It's definitely not easy though. Bad food does taste good but our palates have been trained to like fatty, processed foods. There is a whole world out there of flavorful foods that we neglect. I am convinced through my research and experience that a diet focusing primarily on whole grains, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, and fruit is the healthiest diet.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Losing belly fat depends heavily on gender and genetics, followed by diet, and then what I have found works best is interval training.

Terrapin, have you tried interval running?

Ie,

Warm up jog for 10 minutes
Sprint at 90% capacity for 30s, slow jog at around 50% capacity for 30-60s, rinse and repeat for several sets.

This is a great way to shred more fat in less time.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:35 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Losing belly fat depends heavily on gender and genetics, followed by diet, and then what I have found works best is interval training.

Terrapin, have you tried interval running?

Ie,

Warm up jog for 10 minutes
Sprint at 90% capacity for 30s, slow jog at around 50% capacity for 30-60s, rinse and repeat for several sets.

This is a great way to shred more fat in less time.
This. Interval training is by far the best way to lose body fat while maintaining muscle mass. It can be done through running, cycling, rowing, weights, etc. Just look at the physiques of track sprinters and track cyclists. The total amount of training time is lower than traditional cardio, but it's also much more painful (especially at first).

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
The belly fat issue is really more about diet than working out. We need a huge reality check in the Western world. We eat FAR too many processed foods, refined sugars, and animal products. A diet centered around whole foods, whole grains, vegetables and fruits is the best way to slim the waist line, gain energy, and live a healthy and disease free life.
I agree with Shady here. Even playing hockey 3x a week I was still weighing over 220 at 6 ft. tall. Correcting my eating habits and eating well/cutting out processed foods and excess sugar and fat allowed me to drop 20lbs in a month and a half. The best part is I have energy all day long. Nutrition and training go hand in hand; one won't work without the other.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I don't buy the notion that eating healthy is the ideal way to reduce belly fat. It's certainly a key factor, but you can't forget that you need to burn calories to get rid of fat.

The best way? Cardio *and* eating healthy.

Obviously. But you're never going to out-work a **** diet. If you want to cut, change the way you eat and exercise.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote