HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
We can compare the two franchises all day and night. IMO, it's London and it's not even close. But that's just me.
Can we compare Memorial Cups??

Old
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM
youngblood10

The Knights have to host, no hotels will let them stay there!!

Old
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
We can compare the two franchises all day and night. IMO, it's London and it's not even close. But that's just me.
Other than in Championships.

J. Ross Robertson Cups (the important one to Knights fans) Windsor 3, London 3

Memorial Cups (the one that is a crap shoot unless London wins) Windsor 2, London 1

Old
06-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Other than in Championships.

J. Ross Robertson Cups (the important one to Knights fans) Windsor 3, London 3

Memorial Cups (the one that is a crap shoot unless London wins) Windsor 2, London 1
Additional information: London has been in the Ontario Hockey League for 10 more seasons than Windsor I believe. The Hunters have owned the Knights longer the Boughner and company have owned the Spitfires.
Finally, had there been a host team involved in the Memorial Cup tournament back in 1981, the Spitfires would have been in 4 MC tourneys.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:02 AM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Will Ho-Sang improve more than a McCann, Fabbri etc..
Hiya mate! Always great to read the posts here.
I have read (in other posts) some negativity regarding Ho-Sang
He put up great numbers as a rookie, so is he THAT "flakey"?
I have only ever seen brief highlights/youtube clips etc, but he looks bloody amazing!
Granted, when a player has that much talent, there are often flaws in other "elements", but skill wise, he must be one of the best youngsters in the OHL?
What the "inside" view of number 66?

Old
06-22-2013, 07:44 AM
aresknights

66 has to mature as a player. Learn to use his teammates and play off them. Make the easy play when warranted. Super skill set for sure. He fell to 5 th in the draft for a reason. Probably to 2-3 in skill that year. If/ when he figures it out should be a top league scorer

Old
06-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Libbs

He needs the players around him to complement his skill... something this current team is lacking ATM.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:06 AM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Glad to know you are a fan of generalization. I guess the whole population of London was throwing bananas, and everyone was a part of a riot? Seriously, that's not something you should chirp about. Generalizing people is what leads to racism...it's disgusting.

Did you not see what your friend posted to get the reply? Wow...

About comparing franchises, I do not agreee with you. Remember what you are saying - this is FRANCHISE - the whole history of the team. Not that past 2 years.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
He needs the players around him to complement his skill... something this current team is lacking ATM.
True enough.
I'm not sure yet wether he's a guy that makes those around him better or if he's a skill guy that needs others of like skill to reach his potential. Either way he can be an effective OHL player. If he gets the team first maturity many youngins find he'll be a sure NHLer

Old
06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Libbs

Why is it that every time I check up on this thread, there's just pages of penis wagging between Spits and Knights fans?

Old
06-22-2013, 09:03 AM
aresknights

That made me laugh Libbs. Haven't heard that one before. Thanks

Old
06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
That made me laugh Libbs. Haven't heard that one before. Thanks
Not sure how else to describe it lol. It's like guys at the gym comparing bench press or squat numbers to see who's "stronger".

My team's better. No, my team's better. NO! MY team is better! Nun-ah! My team is so much better times infinity!

Who cares?

Old
06-22-2013, 11:12 AM
OHLTG

Zuber cares!

Old
06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
big papa

Quote:
I think it would help him alot more to have skilled guys as they would be able to get open and also find him open but he would still need to learn when to pass the puck, he holds on to the puck a bit more then he needs to and trys the extra move ontop of that and loses the puck. he was still doing that at the weekend mini camp a few weeks back, yes he has the skill n speed to do that every once in a while but he trys that almost every single time he has the puck.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:00 PM
mapleleaf979

delete please. Thanks.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 06-22-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Sec108

Speaking of the mem cup.Its been a few weeks now that its been over.And it looks like our two local sports writers are AWOL on the subject.Its really a shame that they have no guts and are so afraid to get blackballed by the Man to write an intelligent piece on this bidding for the cup debacle.

If this were the Freep across the river,Im sure Mitch Albom would have given Branch a what for.

Sad guys, really sad,glad I have an alt. for a sports page to read for my Detroit teams instead of the Star.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
OHLTG

The Star is going to get heat no matter what they do. If they write an article that complains, people jump on them for that. Apparently, if they don't write an article that complains, they get jumped on for that, too. The situation is over with and you're not going to change anyone's mind. It's not like "oh, enough people are complaining...eh, we'll just give it to Windsor. Sorry London." Nope. It's over, done with. Life moves on.

Old
06-22-2013, 11:57 PM
aresknights

Sec108
"Its really a shame that they have no guts and are so afraid to get blackballed by the Man to write an intelligent piece on this bidding for the cup debacle."
What are you referring to? The process? Or the fact Windsor didnt win the bid?

Old
06-23-2013, 06:08 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Speaking of the mem cup.Its been a few weeks now that its been over.And it looks like our two local sports writers are AWOL on the subject.Its really a shame that they have no guts and are so afraid to get blackballed by the Man to write an intelligent piece on this bidding for the cup debacle.

If this were the Freep across the river,Im sure Mitch Albom would have given Branch a what for.

Sad guys, really sad,glad I have an alt. for a sports page to read for my Detroit teams instead of the Star.
Sec 108....

In a one horse town all you can expect the sports writers to do is toe the line. (they can't ruffle feathers). If they don't toe it they don't get the scoops (translation = inside leaks) that the team wants to float out to the public.

Do you think the writers will do a story on the drop in season ticket sales? I doubt they have the nerve. Next big story from the local rag will be about Kerby and his chances of getting picked in the top half of the 1st round.(unlikely) How will they handle the coverage of the Import draft, probably by using the story from another news media.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Why is it that every time I check up on this thread, there's just pages of penis wagging between Spits and Knights fans?
Even in the dead heat of summer.

It is rather funny

Old
06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Even in the dead heat of summer.

It is rather funny
Sad is more like it.

But then again... what else is there to talk about?

Old
06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
punch1943

NHL Draft for Spits vs CHL Draft for Spits

Why The NHL draft may be more important to the Spits than the CHL Import Draft.

The Spitfires have (2) two picks in the upcoming CHL Import draft. They have pick (11) and pick (20). If they are able to get a forward that is capable of playing as part of their top 6 this year and a forward who could be a top 9 forward this year and a top 6 next year, it will be a very successful draft and would allow the team to become a team with good scoring potential.

However, IMHO, the NHL draft could conceivably prove to be the more important draft of the two.

Kerby Rychel will be the 1st and probably the only Spitfire chosen from last yearís roster. Everyone hopes that he gets picked high in the draft. Itís been predicted heíll get picked in the 20th -25th slots of the 1st round. IMHO I think a bit more conservatively (2nd round pick #32).Other roster players who are eligible are DeKort, Murphy and Bateman. It would be a pleasant surprise if they get picked in the later rounds. Unfortunately where or if these players get picked will have virtually no impact on how the Spitfires perform in 2013-2014.

The players who do have the most potential to impact the Spitfire roster are two of the Spitfire draftees that are expected to be picked in the 3rd - 5th rounds. Both Evan Allen and Will Butcher played for the NDTP in the U.S. and both are verbally committed to NCAA colleges and most likely that's where they'll end up

However if either or both are picked early in the NHL draft it is conceivable that they or the teams who pick them might feel that the OHL offers a quicker path to Pro hockey than the NCAA route.[Pat Sieloff is a good example for them]

Evan Allen would become a top 6 forward as the season progresses while Will Butcher would become among the top defenseman on the depth chart.

Certainly this would bolster the team BUT not only that, it would give the Spitfires the flexibility to trade other players for veteran players who would add depth and experience to the team and/or draft choices which could be utilized to acquire players.

If Butcher decides to come to the Spits it would allow the team to use a player such as Ebert or Bateman to be included in a deal that could bring another scorer or power forward to the squad.

Old
06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Why The NHL draft may be more important to the Spits than the CHL Import Draft.

The Spitfires have (2) two picks in the upcoming CHL Import draft. They have pick (11) and pick (20). If they are able to get a forward that is capable of playing as part of their top 6 this year and a forward who could be a top 9 forward this year and a top 6 next year, it will be a very successful draft and would allow the team to become a team with good scoring potential.

However, IMHO, the NHL draft could conceivably prove to be the more important draft of the two.

Kerby Rychel will be the 1st and probably the only Spitfire chosen from last yearís roster. Everyone hopes that he gets picked high in the draft. Itís been predicted heíll get picked in the 20th -25th slots of the 1st round. IMHO I think a bit more conservatively (2nd round pick #32).Other roster players who are eligible are DeKort, Murphy and Bateman. It would be a pleasant surprise if they get picked in the later rounds. Unfortunately where or if these players get picked will have virtually no impact on how the Spitfires perform in 2013-2014.

The players who do have the most potential to impact the Spitfire roster are two of the Spitfire draftees that are expected to be picked in the 3rd - 5th rounds. Both Evan Allen and Will Butcher played for the NDTP in the U.S. and both are verbally committed to NCAA colleges and most likely that's where they'll end up

However if either or both are picked early in the NHL draft it is conceivable that they or the teams who pick them might feel that the OHL offers a quicker path to Pro hockey than the NCAA route.[Pat Sieloff is a good example for them]

Evan Allen would become a top 6 forward as the season progresses while Will Butcher would become among the top defenseman on the depth chart.

Certainly this would bolster the team BUT not only that, it would give the Spitfires the flexibility to trade other players for veteran players who would add depth and experience to the team and/or draft choices which could be utilized to acquire players.

If Butcher decides to come to the Spits it would allow the team to use a player such as Ebert or Bateman to be included in a deal that could bring another scorer or power forward to the squad.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:47 PM
wings5

Ho-Sang played at what last year, 160? If he puts on 10-15 lbs and gets stronger could make a huge difference.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Ho-Sang played at what last year, 160? If he puts on 10-15 lbs and gets stronger could make a huge difference.
I understand he has hired Matt Nichol the former i believe former, strength and conditioning coach of the Leafs to work with him this summer

Closed Thread