HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

I think MA Fleury needs to be sent down to juniors

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Pachoo

vCash: 500
I think MA Fleury needs to be sent down to juniors

He seems to have totally lost his confidence. He has been very weak since October and, from reports, had a very bad WJC tournament.

Look at the game logs of his last 10 NHL games:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

Over his last 10 NHL Games:

277 Saves/313 Shots on Goal
.885 Save Percentage

Going back to juniors would boost his confidence back up, and hopefully, snap him out of his bad habits.

Last edited by Pachoo: 01-05-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Jacob

vCash: 399
I don't disagree with you. But I would rather they somehow get him down to the AHL. I think it's the right amount of pressure and work load where he can be challenged but still improve. The baby Pens fans are the best in the AHL and aren't afraid to jump down a player's throat for a poor performance, and the team is pretty good.

Last edited by Jacob: 01-05-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Kev88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I don't disagree with you. But I would rather they somehow get him down to the AHL. I think it's the right amount of pressure and work load where he can be challenged but still improve. The baby Pens fans are the best in the AHL and aren't afraid to jump down a player's throat for a poor performance, and the team is pretty good.
But he's not 20 years old, and you need to be 20 as a North American to play in the AHL. But it's a good idea.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Canadian Chris

they could send him down on a conditioning stint could they not? Obviously that'd be only 2 weeks, but still, it might be enough to just get him working on his confidence maybe?

Old
01-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Jacob

They'd just have to keep him on the NHL roster, and Fleury would have to agree to it.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Kev88

Quote:
They'd just have to keep him on the NHL roster, and Fleury would have to agree to it.
It's the best thing to do for now. Make him play has a second goalie.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
I too wish it was that easy....

Old
01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Jacob

And to add to my point, he also won't become a member of the NHLPA and will be able to go back to the AHL during the lockout.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:50 AM
akhorahil

vCash:
It will probably happen...

I was under the impression from Craig Patrick's blurbs (primarily, articles in the P-G from before the WJC tourny) that the team was basically not going to pay Fleury his $3 mil bonus which kicked in after he played 25 games. This either means he's going to sit the bench all season in the 'burgh (he's already played 15 or 16 games, I forget how many exactly), or he'll get sent to Cape Breton for a Memorial Cup run. I would bet on the latter.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:55 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
He seems to have totally lost his confidence. He has been very weak since October and, from reports, had a very bad WJC tournament.
"Very bad" would be exaggerating, but he wasn't the best goalie of the tournament, which is - by his standards - a disappointment.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:09 AM
D-Rock

Quote:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

.885 Save Percentage

Going back to juniors would boost his confidence back up, and hopefully, snap him out of his bad habits.
That would be detrimental to his confidence. All the negative press would impact his self-esteem. He should steer clear of Canada, and play in the AHL...

Old
01-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Douggy

Fleury's performance at the U20s was a worst Case scenario for the Pens. Even though he played reasonably well, he didn't come home with the Gold he was expecting for himself. It wasn't like last year where he blew in as an 18 year-old and stole the show: This year he was EXPECTED to bring home the gold by a lot of people.

Now the Pens have to figure out a way to not screw up the kids mind.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Evilo

Quote:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

.885 Save Percentage

Sure. After a rough month in november, a rough WJC, let's kick him while he's down and send him to Cape Breton.
That will surely boost his confidence...

Old
01-07-2004, 02:26 AM
FiveforFighting

He probably needs a week off more than anything else.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Pachoo

I disagree. Being advanced up to the NHL at too early of an age has derailed the careers of many goalie prospects in the past (DiPietro anyone)?

It doesn't help the psyche of a 19 year old kid being shelled everynight by the caliber of snipers that are in the NHL. It is better for him to go back to juniors to refine his game, building up confidence with success vs lesser levels of talent.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Evilo

When you do well in at the NHL level, no matter how many shots you face, it's better for your confidence than being sent down unfairly.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
That will surely boost his confidence...
You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you? He might struggle at first because he wouldn't like the demotion but there's no doubt he'd be more confident after a stint in junior and one could argue the adversity of being sent down could help his mental game long term.

I think it would be the right move all around. He's eligible to play in the AHL next season, it's junior or the NHL this year and I don't think being bombed backstopping a pathetic Penguins club is helping his confidence.

You really think getting slaughtered at the NHL level is better for his confidence than dominating on a great junior team? I really don't understand your logic. There's nothing unfair about the demotion, he isn't going to get the bonus and therefore will be sent down at some point or will sit on the bench. I think it's an easy choice which of those two is the best option. And if sending him down is inevitable then you might as well do it sooner rather than later. I would have thought Penguins fans would want what's best for the franchise and Fleury long term and to me it's clear he should be in junior this season. Nice ploy by the Penguins to get him signed so that he wouldn't become UFA in two years but now you've got to do what's best for his development and confidence and I'm pretty sure that being bombed on one of the worst few teams in the NHL is not the best way.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 01-07-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old
01-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you?

Cap Breton already have a very good goalie. If Fleury go back there and don't win the memorial cup(there is many other good team), he'll be labeled as a chocker at 18... not a great things for confidence.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you? He might struggle at first because he wouldn't like the demotion but there's no doubt he'd be more confident after a stint in junior and one could argue the adversity of being sent down could help his mental game long term.

I think it would be the right move all around. He's eligible to play in the AHL next season, it's junior or the NHL this year and I don't think being bombed backstopping a pathetic Penguins club is helping his confidence.

You really think getting slaughtered at the NHL level is better for his confidence than dominating on a great junior team? I really don't understand your logic. There's nothing unfair about the demotion, he isn't going to get the bonus and therefore will be sent down at some point or will sit on the bench. I think it's an easy choice which of those two is the best option. And if sending him down is inevitable then you might as well do it sooner rather than later. I would have thought Penguins fans would want what's best for the franchise and Fleury long term and to me it's clear he should be in junior this season. Nice ploy by the Penguins to get him signed so that he wouldn't become UFA in two years but now you've got to do what's best for his development and confidence and I'm pretty sure that being bombed on one of the worst few teams in the NHL is not the best way.
You don't seem to understand the simple truth : Fleury doesn't deserve to be sent down.
It's as simple as that.
He plays good enough not to warrant a demotion (so far).
So until he shows he's not up to the task, a demotion for money purpose or anything else would be IMO a blow to his confidence.
Now if he DOES struggle in Pittsburgh, then yes I'm all for sending him down. But so far, he hasn't.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:02 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Cap Breton already have a very good goalie. If Fleury go back there and don't win the memorial cup(there is many other good team), he'll be labeled as a chocker at 18... not a great things for confidence.
Not only that, but Cape Breton would be wise to stick with the guy they have as the starter. I don't think you hand over that job to Fleury right away or maybe at all if things are working for you.

A lot can go wrong with sending him back. Until he starts routinely getting shelled (obviously for maybe 3-4 games) and shows he shouldn't be in the NHL, he should stay in Pittsburgh. He has Molleken there with him, and I doubt will play the bulk of the remaining games anyways.

And I think a week off will do good and let him clear his mind for a return in Pittsburgh.

Closed Thread