HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 08:59 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ok wait, five years ago we were praying for 14K paid to save the team, and now having over 15K is a problem???
kinda of how some wanted to fire trotz after making the 2nd round after not getting out of the first for so long

something to remember too....those forbes articles don't account for the rest of the ownerships revenue in funding the team-all the events and concerts. smart businessmen don't lose 3-5 million a year for the fun of it, or civic pride. They make money.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Stranger

People tried to call me out about pointing out the number of freebies given away at games this year. The sell-out streak was a joke. Hopefully it was just for the lockout.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I said this before when all the downers were on their rant. It's not about the money. It's about sending a message. We all knew there were plenty of comps being given out.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
People tried to call me out about pointing out the number of freebies given away at games this year. The sell-out streak was a joke. Hopefully it was just for the lockout.
It might be a "joke" but its smart business. They are creating demand. In the bad old days there was very little incentive to purchase tickets early. Everyone knew you could walk up and get tix. If that perception is changed, it worth the freebies.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:18 PM
cleangene

The Preds aren't even being closed to a mention when Bobby Ryan's leaving the duckies stories come out. Is Poile not even going to attempt anything with this great opportunity there????

Old
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
PFL615

I am sure Poile will make a stab at Ryan. I doubt if he is it will be something that comes out of nowhere.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
The Preds aren't even being closed to a mention when Bobby Ryan's leaving the duckies stories come out. Is Poile not even going to attempt anything with this great opportunity there????
Ryan would be a great fit here. Why wouldn't we try to get him?

Old
06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
The Preds aren't typically mentioned in trade rumors because simply put it doesn't drive traffic. Rumor mongers want to bring hits to their sites, so you see Toronto etc. ALWAYS involved in all of these 'trades'. I think that if Poile really thinks Ryan would be attainable he would certainly kick the tires on it.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
If they comp 1900 tickets per game assuming a low 25.00 average for each that's 47,500 in lost revenue per home game. Or over 41 games 1.947 million dollars. Or the difference in a 3 mil a year player or 5 mil per year player so yes it is significant and way you look at it. If they don't comp the 1900 they lose out on a conservative 500k in concessions as well over the whole season. Comp tickets are great for the fans but does not help putting talent on the ice. All teams comp tickets but Most teams less then 500 per game.

Particularly on this board fans want the front office to spend like a large market but it is impossible to do without revenue. There are only a handful of arenas that seat fewer than the Bridgestone arena. To ice a consistent high preforming team spending to the cap at current prices this team needs 95% capacity PAID. That's an average of 16,200 per game. Short of that the ownership is in the red not something they will do for a long period of time.

So all the fake sellouts hurt the team like it or not.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/nashville-predators/

And I guess Forbes evaluation of the teams financial status is Negitive Nancy also. In 2012 the best year this team has ever had they lost 3.4 million dollars.

You do not have to worry about it sure but most of us would like to see this team long term. We would also like to see top level talent on the ice, that would prove to be the best way to ensure the team remains. SO I guess I would rather be the negative Nancy than those fans who are like an ostrich with there head in the sand oblivious to whats actually happening. Not the sugar coated sellout out over the last two years.

For someone who is a 'fan' of this team, 99% of your posts seem to be dogging on the players, the coaches, the front office, and now the fans who pay or get in on a comp.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
The Preds aren't typically mentioned in trade rumors because simply put it doesn't drive traffic. Rumor mongers want to bring hits to their sites, so you see Toronto etc. ALWAYS involved in all of these 'trades'. I think that if Poile really thinks Ryan would be attainable he would certainly kick the tires on it.
Absolutely.

I still figure it's going to be Philly, NYR, or Toronto drastically overpaying on him because they think Ryan's a franchise player, but I have no doubt that Poile at least inquires.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:22 PM
glenngineer

Ryan is a great player but he's not a guy you build a team around and that's what we need.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Ryan is a great player but he's not a guy you build a team around and that's what we need.
Care to elaborate why he isn't?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Ryan would be a great addition if we were sure we could extend his contract or if we thought we had a window of opportunity to win the Cup in the next two years. He would ave been the kind of player we would have sold the farm for last summer when we looked like we were one big player away from a legit contender, but I dont know if that is us right now

Id love to have him but the assets he would cost would be tough to swallow if we end up only having him for two seasons.

I hope Poile inquires, but if the asking price includes this years 1st round pick or Josi, I hope he passes.

I dont know what Anaheim would be looking for but if they are going to do a rebuild I would give one of Blum/Ellis/Ekholm and one of Beck/Bourque/Watson plus Spaling and next years 2nd round pick.. but thats a classic case of offering quantity for quality and I dont know if it would fly

Old
06-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Having watched his entire career out here, I feel pretty confident in glenn's assessment. Ryan is an outstanding complimentary player, but he lacks consistency and impact on a game by game basis. While players like Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne have all shouldered the team for extended periods over the last several years, Ryan has never shown himself capable of being THAT guy. He does a poor job using his size outside of the occasional attempt at a big hit, and is a subpar skater. He puts up some nice numbers, but when compared to the visual impact he actually has upon the game, they seem to be pretty hollow stats. Ryan will pull off the occasional highlight-reel goal, and then go back to being unnoticeable until the next time.

That all said, depending on the package, he could be a worthwhile investment, but I think that trying to build around him as a centerpiece is asking for disappointment. There's no doubt that some GMs will think he is THAT guy, and will overpay accordingly.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
He's a great player no doubt but he feeds off of Perry and Getzlaf. When he doesn't play with those two he's good but he doesn't take over games. He's not elite. Does he scare you when he's on the ice? I'm not too worried about him. I worry more about Selanne than him. He's a great secondary player but he's not the man.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:05 PM
glenngineer

ID, funny I was typing my response at the same time you were and our thoughts were pretty darn close.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ryan would be a great addition if we were sure we could extend his contract or if we thought we had a window of opportunity to win the Cup in the next two years. He would ave been the kind of player we would have sold the farm for last summer when we looked like we were one big player away from a legit contender, but I dont know if that is us right now

Id love to have him but the assets he would cost would be tough to swallow if we end up only having him for two seasons.

I hope Poile inquires, but if the asking price includes this years 1st round pick or Josi, I hope he passes.

I dont know what Anaheim would be looking for but if they are going to do a rebuild I would give one of Blum/Ellis/Ekholm and one of Beck/Bourque/Watson plus Spaling and next years 2nd round pick.. but thats a classic case of offering quantity for quality and I dont know if it would fly
I'd be interested to see if there's any desire on Anaheim's part to take on Blum, since he grew up out here. My guess is that it would have to be something like Blum+Wilson, though I think the Ducks would prefer to get a legit, young top 4 d-man with upside as the centerpiece. Josi's off-limits, and Blum/Ellis/Ekholm aren't reliable enough. I think Hornqvist and Bourque would both be good fits on that roster, but I don't think the former gets traded, or the latter has enough value in this type of deal.

I agree Ryan would've been a guy to have brought in had he been available two seasons ago, but I think the window has now passed.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM
PFL615

I wonder if it's beem considered that he knew his role and played it as such. You have a team of guys and they all have a job. Perry and Getzlaf are clearly the shoulders of the team and they are both forwards.
I'm not so sure it can be said with much backing without seeing Ryan given a chance at that role.
On the Predators i could see him easily becoming a wonderful player and leader of the forwards.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
ID, funny I was typing my response at the same time you were and our thoughts were pretty darn close.

My best friend is a diehard Ducks fan, so we have hashed out Bobby Ryan more often than I care to remember.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I wonder if it's beem considered that he knew his role and played it as such. You have a team of guys and they all have a job. Perry and Getzlaf are clearly the shoulders of the team and they are both forwards.
I'm not so sure it can be said with much backing without seeing Ryan given a chance at that role.
On the Predators i could see him easily becoming a wonderful player and leader of the forwards.
So he dumbed down his game so he wouldn't be dominant on the ice? That would be like Forsberg being a lesser player because Sakic was the leader of the team.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
So he dumbed down his game so he wouldn't be dominant on the ice? That would be like Forsberg being a lesser player because Sakic was the leader of the team.
Yeah, I agree. I like team players, but I'm not sure I want to build around a guy that is willing to subordinate himself like that. I just really don't think that's the case with Ryan though. I think he is a very good player, and an ideal complimentary player on a good team, but just don't think he is more than that. There's nothing wrong with that either, there are lots of great players that are complimentary players that I'd love to see in Preds colors, I just don't want to trade a premier package for them.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:22 PM
PFL615

Quote:
No i never *** said that. I said he knows his role and that Perry and Getzalf are leaders and big guns on the team.
No reason for him to be "the man". Besides, you believe it or not do not know what he is being coached to do or not do. You also have no clue what would happen if he was on a team without superstar players like Perry, Getzlaf, and Selanne.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
For someone who is a 'fan' of this team, 99% of your posts seem to be dogging on the players, the coaches, the front office, and now the fans who pay or get in on a comp.
Byrddog has been around long enough to earn the right to be critical. We can disagree with him all we want, but calling into question his support for this team is off the table as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:29 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Not knowing what our players are coached to do has never stopped some people around here from projecting their opinions as facts.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:37 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
No i never *** said that. I said he knows his role and that Perry and Getzalf are leaders and big guns on the team.
No reason for him to be "the man". Besides, you believe it or not do not know what he is being coached to do or not do. You also have no clue what would happen if he was on a team without superstar players like Perry, Getzlaf, and Selanne.
Calm down, you're going to give yourself a coronary. Do you have some inside info as to what he's supposed to do or not? I can't imagine a coach saying, hey, don't show up the big guns, it's not good for team morale. I can't imagine a coach saying, don't play to the fullest of your ability. Is he a good player. Yes. Is he a great player. Yes. Is he an elite player you build a team around, absolutely not.

Closed Thread