HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
When Horcoff was same age with Gagner he produced 61G 8+14=22 0,36 point/game
Gagner had 48G 14+24=38 0,79 point/game

Do the math
Well it sure us lucky that SS had that good 15 game stretch to start the season then last year, and then packed it in when the playoffs were on the line.

In his 5th season in the NHL Horcoff had 73 points, and was the 1st line center on a team that went to game 7 of the SCF. In his 6th season he got 51 points while playing all the tough minutes, in his 7th season he was nearly a PPG player on a brutal team having to shelter the kid line. Then injuries took their toll on him.

Gagner has struggled to improve at all over 6 NHL seasons where he has received sheltered minutes, hell even last season an Injured 19 year old RNH was more physical and much better defensively than Gagner.

Gagner is no where near the player Horcoff was during his 5th-7th seasons. Do the math.

And if you are going to use the age debate then I guess we should just get rid of Schultz because he went to college like Horcoff did.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
thinlizzy

Horc's was fourth round draft pick ( 99) , Gags seventh so you can't really compare statistics. Horc's was a bottom six when he came and worked his way up the lines because he worked hard not because he was gifted with the scoring bug.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Well it sure us lucky that SS had that good 15 game stretch to start the season then last year, and then packed it in when the playoffs were on the line.

In his 5th season in the NHL Horcoff had 73 points, and was the 1st line center on a team that went to game 7 of the SCF. In his 6th season he got 51 points while playing all the tough minutes, in his 7th season he was nearly a PPG player on a brutal team having to shelter the kid line. Then injuries took their toll on him.

Gagner has struggled to improve at all over 6 NHL seasons where he has received sheltered minutes, hell even last season an Injured 19 year old RNH was more physical and much better defensively than Gagner.

Gagner is no where near the player Horcoff was during his 5th-7th seasons. Do the math.

And if you are going to use the age debate then I guess we should just get rid of Schultz because he went to college like Horcoff did.
horcoff was a lot older during those 5-7 seasons, and had a lot more experience playing in high-level leagues (NCAA, AHL, NHL)... horcoff was 27 years old in his 5th NHL season, while gagner was 22... that is 5 years of hockey experience and training that horcoff had over gagner .... apples to oranges here

Old
06-05-2013, 06:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
horcoff was a lot older during those 5-7 seasons, and had a lot more experience playing in high-level leagues (NCAA, AHL, NHL)... horcoff was 27 years old in his 5th NHL season, while gagner was 22... that is 5 years of hockey experience and training that horcoff had over gagner .... apples to oranges here
You would think five or six seasons in the NHL would be all the years of high level hockey experience one would ever need.

Apparently not.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Gagner is bad enough defensively and on the dot after six seasons that he is being moved to wing. He hasn't grown into his big boy C pants. If he wasn't scoring, he was useless. Debate over.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Gagner is bad enough defensively and on the dot after six seasons that he is being moved to wing. He hasn't grown into his big boy C pants. If he wasn't scoring, he was useless. Debate over.
Nailed it. Anyone can go rewatch the last 15-20 games of the season where the Oilers were in a playoff push. Hall was carrying the team on his rebuild shoulders. Where was SS? He was scoring, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't winning puck battles, he looked like he could care less out there as he knew he had his new big contract in the bag and didn't want to get hurt.

He traded in his C pants for S pants.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:55 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
No you don't understand. The reason Horcoff would have value is this year he'd save 1.5 million against the cap floor and next year 2.5 million. That means a team could spend under the cap floor in real dollars while still meeting the limit. Horcoff is still going to garner a couple million on the open market and the fact that he could save a team like Florida real dollars he may have value. It's happened before where a team had to find a contract to reach the floor (islanders iirc) and one in which you could do that while spending less actual dollars and getting a real player could have value.
Good theory. But there will be no teams struggling to make the cap floor this year.

The Islanders are only $8M below the cap with no goalies signed and only five defenceman signed. Half of that is gone if they unbury (?) DiPietro.

The Jets are $7M below with 12 players signed.

There won't be any moves to meet the cap floor as no teams will be in that position.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:46 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 7 min
@CoachFrank18. Anything is possible, but I know Oilers and Gagner's agent, Jeff Jackson are working on an extension.
So. Much. Happening.

Feel free to move if this doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
So. Much. Happening.

Feel free to move if this doesn't deserve it's own thread.
Well I guess the Gagner rumors will die down

Old
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Maybe a sign and trade?

Old
06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
GDU

could also be a pr move by oilers, one last lowball offer that he obviously wont accept and then move him...

this could actually mean he is even more in play, a lot of times when teams are moving rfas they will have one last negotiation session with the player, sort of like take it or leave...

if oilers have deal for gagner then its win win, either he takes lower offer or gets moved... who knows if he's even being shopped though...

Old
06-23-2013, 10:16 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I hope we sign him for the long term. He is the most underrated player on this forum, even on HFOil.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I hope we sign him for the long term. He is the most underrated player on this forum, even on HFOil.
Or the most overrated.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This!

*avoids brown bananas*

Just on the main boards. I think we understand what he is here, and I take the devil we know than the devil we don't everytime. But that just me and I already understand your Hanzal for Gagner arguments so put your keyboards down!

Old
06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I certainly doubt that. Its the M.O. here.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:56 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Maybe a sign and trade?
E3 Gagner sign and trade to Toronto for 3 7th round picks. Apparently that's what he's worth to Maple leaf fans.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:58 PM
plikestechno

The cynical side of me says this is just optics and they've intended to trade him before or at the draft all along and this makes it look like they tried to do everything to keep him here. Sam served us well but we have shinier prospects more deserving of big money now. Any negotiations period will help his trade value. He could fetch a lot of our needs on D and the 3rd line and maybe prospects for picks on top of an NHLer. Or maybe they think they could catch a really big fish if they package him with the 7th overall.

But there's a funny little voice in my head that makes me think that there's a trade in place to send him to the Blackhawks and they're just waiting for the finals to be over to do it. Chicago has had some wingers emerge and could sorely use someone like him to dish the puck to them. They know what he's done with Patrick Kane, the were victims of his 8 point night playing with Hall and Ebs.

The Hawks also have a lot of what we need. We were chasing Mark McNeill a couple of years ago too and maybe we still want him. For the Hawks I think it would make an already great team even greater and he's be locked up with a new deal at 4-5 mil for a long time. Maybe for them long term he would even take a bit of a discount compared to the open market or the Oilers.

Sam's a guy that will have different value to different teams. Worthless to some, highly sought after to others short of puck movers. While he's only consistently been a 40-50 point guy here, there are lots of guys that get 50 points in this league and then completely fall off the map. He's done it consistently and some teams might think he's capable of more on their team.

It will be interesting to see where he lands and what he gets and if he lands back here I'm great with that. But I have a feeling that at his price tag he's moving on.

Last edited by plikestechno: 06-23-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote of the year
"I wouldn't take Gagner on my team for free"

Old
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Good. I hope he signs a deal in the 4y+ 4.5M range.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Quote of the year
"I wouldn't take Gagner on my team for free"
Who would this be?

Old
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Who would this be?
Some leafs fan on the main board
It made my day

Old
06-23-2013, 11:09 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Who would this be?
Leaf fan on the main board

Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Who would this be?
Hunt him down, Replacement!

(I feel 5 years for 4. Don't know why. Just feel that)

Old
06-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Prepare to be disappointed when its more along the lines of 4 years at 5.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Thanks, wouldn't you know it, a Leafs fan with something special to say when not gibbering about the great, epic, near miss SC final of 2013 that will go down in history because Leafs are like better than bruins and every other team and were jobbed somehow because a game is 60mins long or something.. (this tree falling in the forest heard only in he center of the universe of course)

Closed Thread