HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 05:28 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Christmas coming in 1 freakin week. At this time, we would just be ending the 1st round and we would love/hate our 1st pick....2nd round coming!!!!!
Every aspect of my life is desperate for the draft to come and go. The last month has been the least productive month of my life!

Old
06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Anderson: 6'2
Bobrovsky: 6'2
Rask 6'3
Schneider 6'2
Lundqvist 6'1
Crawford 6'2
Niemi 6'2
Reimer 6'2
Emery 6'2
Holtby 6'0
Vokoun 6'1
Miller 6'2
Hillier 6'2
Smith 6'4
Rinne 6'5
Ward 6'1
Luongo 6'3
Elliott 6'2
Pavelec 6'3
Price 6'3
Varlarmov 6'2
Quick 6'1
Brodeur 6'2
Kipprusoff 6'1

Howard 6'0
Nabokov 6'0
Fasth 6'0
Niklas Backstrom 5'11
Halak 5'10

Five goalies 6'0 and under were starters or 1B's. I think that's a pretty telling stat. In order for a 5'11< goalie to take the same amount of net away as a bigger goalie, he has to challenge much more, leaving him susceptible to caroms off the end boards, passing plays, one-timers and rebound opportunities. Smaller goalies tend to have to chase the play more and rely more on athletics than positioning. That isn't a good thing come play-off time when screens are more prevalent and sometimes in scrambles you are forced to become 'big'.
I know but i think with our 6th pick in the draft we can take a risk on him. He did great at the u18 and looks like he has some serious potential.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I know but i think with our 6th pick in the draft we can take a risk on him. He did great at the u18 and looks like he has some serious potential.
There are bigger body goalies who we can gamble a late round pick on that will more likely succeed in the NHL. Yes, small goalies who do well in tournaments look spectacular when they do it but it is rarely a long-term thing.

Old
06-23-2013, 05:44 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
There are bigger body goalies who we can gamble a late round pick on that will more likely succeed in the NHL. Yes, small goalies who do well in tournaments look spectacular when they do it but it is rarely a long-term thing.
I also like Cal Petersen...

any thoughts on him?

Old
06-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Feintastic

I think its that kind of draft u aint even got 2 move up or anything. A gem or 2 will fall to us. We'll end up with 3 or 4 really valuable prospects.

CANT WAIT

Old
06-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Uwey

A goaltender that flies under the radar in this IMO is Antoine Bibeau from the PEI Rocket. At 6'3, 201 lbs already he has great size & was the biggest reason the Rocket did as well as they did this season.

He could be had in the third round.

I suspect the Habs may pick more than one tender this draft.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:01 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
What a great draft year to own 6 picks in the top 90.

I just sure as hell hope we keep them all..
The 90 or the 6? If you mean the 90, I like the way you think.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
A goaltender that flies under the radar in this IMO is Antoine Bibeau from the PEI Rocket. At 6'3, 201 lbs already he has great size & was the biggest reason the Rocket did as well as they did this season.

I wouldn't pick Bibeau in the 3rd round. If he was target, I'd trade down with a 3rd rounder or trade Weber for a 4th or 5th rounder and target him there. I really like Bibeau but you have to take into account he's a year older than the other goalies you are comparing him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I also like Cal Petersen...

any thoughts on him?
Petersen is the better of the two when you're looking at him or McAdam. He's got the ideal size and he has some athleticism to his game. Definitely more than enough to work with to make a number 1 goalie out of. He's on my list.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Feintastic

Quote:

yes you're right on this one

Old
06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Komisarek didn't work out? wat. He became exactly what we drafted him to become pre-Lucic fight.
Komisarek was a fine Markov partner (just hit and stay back) and a decent player. Wilkie was fine until his knee injury. He was considered "can't miss" because of his skating but he could hardly move after his recovery. The other players do show why size alone is not sufficient.

Funny that of all the players who were supposed to star for the habs in that era (Brad Brown, Rory Fitzpatrick, David Wilkie) the only one to make the team was Craig Rivet, an afterthought.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not that I entirely agree, but to fill the spot of goalies that the Habs had clearly targeted already, I think we have to think that one 2nd round pick will be used in that regard. I'd target the 3rd round personnally....but I'm expecting it in the 2nd.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
yoteshot

Can't wait for the draft, but made plans and I will be camping in New Hampshire on the 30th. Hoping I get 4G there, or else the wait will be long until Monday evening!

Old
06-23-2013, 07:23 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Habs drafted for size in the past and got burnt.

You can't get big guys that are slow. But you can get big guys who can skate and have some offensive talent.

Dickinson & Bailey are two big bodied boys who can skate and have offensive tools.
Nastasiuk, Rychel and McCarron (Mc is huge) aren't great skaters, McCarron is good for his size, but they bring a bit more nasty to the game.
Poirier is a guy with speed to burn, a good projectable frame and great offensive tools.

If we went for an all forward draft..
Rychel/McCarron at 25
Poirier at 34
Dickinson/Bailey/Nastasiuk at 36.
Problem is there are no rules... Some big slow guys pick up their skating, some big fast guys develop a scoring touch late. The trick is to predict (guess?) how much players will improve and how their skills will translate across a couple of leagues.

Admittedly the habs have not done well picking big guys with issues. Even McDonagh might have been kept around but before the trade there was a view that he matured physically early and was able to use that physical maturity to push the other guys around but would not be able to do so a level or two up. Lots of people project prospects incorrectly.

I could be wrong but based on bloodlines I expect Kerby Rychel to work out. On the other hand he's already high on some draft lists so he may not be an option.

There are always a few guys who succeed in spite of their weak skating.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that I entirely agree, but to fill the spot of goalies that the Habs had clearly targeted already, I think we have to think that one 2nd round pick will be used in that regard. I'd target the 3rd round personnally....but I'm expecting it in the 2nd.
With six picks in the first three rounds, possibly one in each round, if TT likes what is still on the board.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Uwey

Connor Hurley is another guy that intrigues me somewhat :

Hurley is a very strong skater who uses his edges well, shows good lateral agility and has good speed with excellent first step acceleration. He will only get stronger on his feet once he adds more muscle to his lower frame. Hurley has the look of a future NHLer as he can play in any role given; checker, antagonist or offensive force. A dangerous offensive player, he possesses high-end hockey sense, great hands, impressive creativity and sharp instincts. He’s dangerous with the puck on his stick because he can kill the opposition by making plays to a teammate or by getting off a hard shot. -

See more at:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe....175J9YJW.dpuf

The bold print IMO, is the thing the Habs look for in their forwards.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Carolina usually puts up draft profiles of players they're interested in and usually end up drafting one of those players.

Winnipeg has draft profiles on Lazar and Domi.

Anyone remember any tells Montreal does ? Or do they at all ?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Dillon Heatherington is a guy I wouldn't mind at 34/36, provided our other two early picks are forwards. Some would consider it a little high, but these pre-draft rankings go out the window the day after the draft. Heatherington and Madison Bowey are guys that interest me early (provided the likes of Morin and Mueller are gone at 25). I don't really like what I read about McCoshen from the poster who has seen him the most. Does not like him AT ALL.

Heatherington has size and skates well, plays a physical game and (while I did not see it) by all accounts had a strong U-18 for Canada. He will be a real asset on a second pairing if things go well with his development. Just finished watching his four fights on hockeyfights and he fared quite well in them. He may not have much offense but he seems like a super steady player who makes a good pass and has a physical game, the type of guy you need in those pressure packed moments in the playoffs. Beaulieu/Tinordi/Heatherington as LD prospects looks pretty good to me.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:45 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
Dillon Heatherington is a guy I wouldn't mind at 34/36, provided our other two early picks are forwards. Some would consider it a little high, but these pre-draft rankings go out the window the day after the draft. Heatherington and Madison Bowey are guys that interest me early (provided the likes of Morin and Mueller are gone at 25). I don't really like what I read about McCoshen from the poster who has seen him the most. Does not like him AT ALL.

Heatherington has size and skates well, plays a physical game and (while I did not see it) by all accounts had a strong U-18 for Canada. He will be a real asset on a second pairing if things go well with his development. Just finished watching his four fights on hockeyfights and he fared quite well in them. He may not have much offense but he seems like a super steady player who makes a good pass and has a physical game, the type of guy you need in those pressure packed moments in the playoffs. Beaulieu/Tinordi/Heatherington as LD prospects looks pretty good to me.
I really like Heatherington too.

Shea Weber had a similar projection. He had 18 points in 70 games his draft year. He was regarded simply as a big stay at home and nasty defender. You just never know how these guys develop.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Corner2

Heatherington would be a nice pick-up too (so many!!)...

Big body...simple game....decent skills...nice amount of nasty

Old
06-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Mercury10

Quote:
Anderson: 6'2
Bobrovsky: 6'2
Rask 6'3
Schneider 6'2
Lundqvist 6'1
Crawford 6'2
Niemi 6'2
Reimer 6'2
Emery 6'2
Holtby 6'2
Vokoun 6'1
Miller 6'2
Hillier 6'2
Smith 6'4
Rinne 6'5
Ward 6'1
Luongo 6'3
Elliott 6'2
Pavelec 6'3
Price 6'3
Varlarmov 6'2
Quick 6'1
Brodeur 6'2
Kipprusoff 6'1

Howard 6'0
Nabokov 6'0
Fasth 6'0
Niklas Backstrom 5'11
Halak 5'10

Five goalies 6'0 and under were starters or 1B's. I think that's a pretty telling stat. In order for a 5'11< goalie to take the same amount of net away as a bigger goalie, he has to challenge much more, leaving him susceptible to caroms off the end boards, passing plays, one-timers and rebound opportunities. Smaller goalies tend to have to chase the play more and rely more on athletics than positioning. That isn't a good thing come play-off time when screens are more prevalent and sometimes in scrambles you are forced to become 'big'.
2 years ago Tim Thomas did pretty well for 5'11".

Old
06-23-2013, 11:29 PM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Connor Hurley is another guy that intrigues me somewhat :

Hurley is a very strong skater who uses his edges well, shows good lateral agility and has good speed with excellent first step acceleration. He will only get stronger on his feet once he adds more muscle to his lower frame. Hurley has the look of a future NHLer as he can play in any role given; checker, antagonist or offensive force. A dangerous offensive player, he possesses high-end hockey sense, great hands, impressive creativity and sharp instincts. He’s dangerous with the puck on his stick because he can kill the opposition by making plays to a teammate or by getting off a hard shot. -

See more at:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe....175J9YJW.dpuf

The bold print IMO, is the thing the Habs look for in their forwards.
Good find, interesting to know he's the youngest kid going into the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwEpSlB6uyc

Old
06-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Blob Buster

Hey all, haven't been able to watch much games this year except for some U20, U18, the CHL top prospect games, some Q games and the memorial cup, but I read a lot of reports and this is my top 75 for the draft. Obviously, some will disagree with some rankings (Petan being so high, Hagg so low as examples), but I always find it fun to do anyway. Flame away!

1- Nathan MacKinnon
2- Seth Jones
3- Alexander Barkov
4- Jonathan Drouin
5- Elias Lindholm
6- Valeri Nichushkin
7- Sean Monahan
8- Bo Horvat
9- Rasmus Ristolainen
10- Max Domi
11- Alex Wennberg
12- Samuel Morin
13- Darrell Nurse
14- Frederik Gauthier
15- Hunter Shinkaruk
16- Josh Morrissey
17- Nic Petan
18- Zachary Fucale
19- Nikita Zadorov
20- Valentin Zykov
21- Madison Bowey
22- Curtis Lazar
23- Kerby Richel
24- Anthony Mantha
25- Mirco Mueller
26- Émile Poirier
27- Ryan Hartman
28- Ryan Pulock
29- Ian McCoshen
30- Mike McCarron
31- Andre Burakowsky
32- Jacob De La Rose
33- Morgan Klimchuk
34- Adam Erne
35- Dillon Heatherington
36- Laurent Dauphin
37- Marc-Olivier Roy
38- Artturi Lehkonen
39- Jason Dickinson
40- Steve Santini
41- Tristan Jarry
42- Robert Hagg
43- William Carrier
44- Shea Theodore
45- Justin Bailey
46- Connor Hurley
47- Oliver Bjorkstrand
48- Pavel Buchnevich
49- Zach Sanford
50- John Hayden
51- Zach Nastasiuk
52- JT Compher
53- Jimmy Lodge
54- Nick Baptiste
55- Tommy Vannelli
56- Chris Bigras
57- Philippe Desrosiers
58- Yan-Pavel Laplante
59- Jonathan Diaby
60- Adam Tambellini
61- Linus Arnesson
62- Jan Kostalek
63- Keaton Thompson
64- Jordan Subban
65- Jackson Houck
66- Eric Comrie
67- Cole Cassels
68- Remi Elie
69- Nick Mourtrey
70- Matt Buckles
71- Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau
72- Victor Crus-Rydberg
73- Eric Roy
74- Marko Dano
75- Anthony Duclair
HM – Brett Pesce
HM – Spencer Martin
HM – Gustav Olofsson

Last edited by Blob Buster: 06-24-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old
06-24-2013, 12:01 AM
AnthonyD

Good list Blob.

I would have Nurse, Compher, Erne higher, and Petan lower. But very good and possible.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:37 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob Buster View Post
Hey all, haven't been able to watch much games this year except for some U20, U18, the CHL top prospect games, some Q games and the memorial cup, but I read a lot of reports and this is my top 75 for the draft. Obviously, some will disagree with some rankings (Petan being so high, Hagg so low as examples), but I always find it fun to do anyway. Flame away!

1- Nathan MacKinnon
2- Seth Jones
3- Alexander Barkov
4- Jonathan Drouin
5- Elias Lindholm
6- Valeri Nichushkin
7- Sean Monahan
8- Bo Horvat
9- Rasmus Ristolainen
10- Max Domi
11- Alex Wennberg
12- Samuel Morin
13- Darrell Nurse
14- Frederik Gauthier
15- Hunter Shinkaruk
16- Josh Morrissey
17- Nic Petan
18- Zachary Fucale
19- Nikita Zadorov
20- Valentin Zykov
21- Madison Bowey
22- Curtis Lazar
23- Kerby Richel
24- Anthony Mantha
25- Mirco Mueller
26- Émile Poirier
27- Ryan Hartman
28- Ryan Pulock
29- Ian McCoshen
30- Mike McCarron
31- Andre Burakowsky
32- Jacob De La Rose
33- Morgan Klimchuk
34- Adam Erne
35- Dillon Heatherington
36- Laurent Dauphin
37- Marc-Olivier Roy
38- Artturi Lehkonen
39- Jason Dickinson
40- Steve Santini
41- Tristan Jarry
42- Robert Hagg
43- William Carrier
44- Shea Theodore
45- Justin Bailey
46- Connor Hurley
47- Oliver Bjorkstrand
48- Pavel Buchnevich
49- Zach Sanford
50- John Hayden
51- Zach Nastasiuk
52- JT Compher
53- Jimmy Lodge
54- Nick Baptiste
55- Tommy Vannelli
56- Chris Bigras
57- Philippe Desrosiers
58- Yan-Pavel Laplante
59- Jonathan Diaby
60- Adam Tambellini
61- Linus Arnesson
62- Jan Kostalek
63- Keaton Thompson
64- Jordan Subban
65- Jackson Houck
66- Eric Comrie
67- Cole Cassels
68- Remi Elie
69- Nick Mourtrey
70- Matt Buckles
71- Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau
72- Victor Crus-Rydberg
73- Eric Roy
74- Marko Dano
75- Anthony Duclair
HM – Brett Pesce
HM – Spencer Martin
HM – Gustav Olofsson
It's a good and realistic list. I would switch Bowey and Morrissey and I think Burakowsky goes before Petan. As for Hagg, you've got him pegged exactly where he should go, mid second round at best. But if you're correct, Montreal could come out of this draft with Burakowsky, Erne, Dickinson and Bigras with their first 4 picks. That would be quite a draft. Quite a draft indeed.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Blob Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
It's a good and realistic list. I would switch Bowey and Morrissey and I think Burakowsky goes before Petan. But if you're correct, Montreal could come out of this draft with Burakowsky, Erne, Dickinson and Bigras with their first 4 picks. That would be quite a draft. Quite a draft indeed.
This really wasn't made to be a mock draft (I might make one in the next days if I have the time), but those four picks would indeed be pretty awesome.

Closed Thread