HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
06-15-2013, 08:44 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
When was the last time that the leading point-getter wasn't even nominated for the Calder?

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Yakupov got majorly screwed. Good. Good. Let the hate course through him.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
I don't get it, but oh well. Good for Huberdeau, but I think most knowledgeable fans who watch both conferences know Yakupov had a better overall season. More goals + Yak's end of season was far superior to Huberdeau's.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't get it, but oh well. Good for Huberdeau, but I think most knowledgeable fans who watch both conferences know Yakupov had a better overall season. More goals + Yak's end of season was far superior to Huberdeau's.
That's what gets me though, the so called "writers" should be the knowledgable ones. It irritates me that it's their job to watch, follow, and report on the NHL and they continue demonstrate their ignorance.

It really doesn't matter who won the trophy though. Huberdeau did have a very good season (although I feel Brodin deserved the trophy).

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:47 AM
RowdyPfeifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So let me get this straight, Huberdeau received 169 votes and Nail got 122. So 47 voters didn't even have Yak in their top 5? Or perhaps better context is 28% of voters didn't think the leading scorer among rookies was worthy of a 5th place finish. Not sure what to say.
Pretty much this, except there were actually 179 first place votes cast. This means that 57/179 voters (32%) didn't even have Yak in their Top 5.

When Top 3 were announced I told myself I'd reserve judgement until the final voting results were released. I thought maybe it was a tight race between the Top 5 (w/Brodin too).... but now I'm really shaking my head in disbelief.

RowdyPfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyPfeifer View Post
Pretty much this, except there were actually 179 first place votes cast. This means that 57/179 voters (32%) didn't even have Yak in their Top 5.

When Top 3 were announced I told myself I'd reserve judgement until the final voting results were released. I thought maybe it was a tight race between the Top 5 (w/Brodin too).... but now I'm really shaking my head in disbelief.

I know I shouldn't get worked up over awards but they are used in the long run to judge a player's career.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
I called it. The French Canadian wins again. This is Jose Theodore all over again. As predictable as sunrise.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
That's what gets me though, the so called "writers" should be the knowledgable ones. It irritates me that it's their job to watch, follow, and report on the NHL and they continue demonstrate their ignorance.

It really doesn't matter who won the trophy though. Huberdeau did have a very good season (although I feel Brodin deserved the trophy).
Since the advent of the internet, it's been readily apparent that the majority of writers out there are just lazy bloggers with a paycheck.

With the proliferation with forums, blogs, and wide spread access to games, any fan can achieve a level of knowledge and investment far in excess of most professional writers these days. The main difference between your average fan and a writer typically being access to the players/clubs, but even that last bastion of status is falling as social media gains steam, and clubs regulate and marginalize the message that the reporters have access to.

Tarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Do you even have to ask?
I don't understand?

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

Here's how the voting went down.
Wow look at the votes towards the bottom. I wonder if Drew Shore was voted instead of Yakupov

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

I know I shouldn't get worked up over awards but they are used in the long run to judge a player's career.
It's more of a footnote than anything else. Gretz didn't win rookie of the year. Samsonov won it over Thornton. It really isn't that big a deal.

Yakupov's results do demonstrate that the NHL awards are heavily influenced by the larger percentage of Eastern voters though. Not a big surprise. Yak will just have to make them all look foolish next season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:06 PM
topchowda

Im glad he didnt win. Hes the type of player to let this motviate him. I dont want players settling for the Calder, its a pretty meaningless trophy. Would rather him buckle down and go for the Hart/Lindsey in 3 years

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Im glad he didnt win. Hes the type of player to let this motviate him. I dont want players settling for the Calder, its a pretty meaningless trophy. Would rather him buckle down and go for the Hart/Lindsey in 3 years
I'd rather everyone just gun for a Cup.

It's a joke he wasn't even nominated, whether he would have won is debatable. But like you said that Calder doesn't matter so much.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:13 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It's more of a footnote than anything else. Gretz didn't win rookie of the year. Samsonov won it over Thornton. It really isn't that big a deal.

Yakupov's results do demonstrate that the NHL awards are heavily influenced by the larger percentage of Eastern voters though. Not a big surprise. Yak will just have to make them all look foolish next season.
They make themselves foolish.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Not surprising . Their is a lot of Oiler hate just need to see it here on hf to understand , media looks for reasons not to vote for Oiler players this year Yak last Nuge.
Oiler hate is awesome. At least we are great at something.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:25 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I'd rather everyone just gun for a Cup.

It's a joke he wasn't even nominated, whether he would have won is debatable. But like you said that Calder doesn't matter so much.
I think its a major motivational tool for the right players. Just says you got to work harder and produce better to be recognized. Plus if he wins the calder thats a bargaining chip for his agent.

Dont get me wrong, if he won the Calder Id be happy, but Calder is low on the important award scale

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

I don't think media should be allowed to vote on trophy's complete incompetence in their voting . or they should at least list who voted . You would get more honest results from players like the Lindsey award. look at all past winners of that really hard to argue the choices.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Copperhead

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12610345/

Great article by James Mirtle explaining some of the interesting voting that happened this year. It seems like the PHWA is considering making all votes public which would go a long way to explaining how things go down.

There was also a discussion recently that revealed that the votes need to be in before the end of the season. Personally I don't see the need for this. It can't be that hard in a digital age to get all the votes tallied.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:27 PM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post

Great article by James Mirtle explaining some of the interesting voting that happened this year. It seems like the PHWA is considering making all votes public which would go a long way to explaining how things go down.

There was also a discussion recently that revealed that the votes need to be in before the end of the season. Personally I don't see the need for this. It can't be that hard in a digital age to get all the votes tallied.
The votes don't have to be in until the start of the first playoff game actually.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:35 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Calder is meaningless, Steve Mason and Andrew Raycroft won it. Enough said.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post

They want them in so that playoff performances have nothing to do with the voting, which in some cases is kinda stupid. Not sure how GM of the year is about the regular season.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:32 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Overall I'd like to know who is voting. I still think it should be 1 or 2 people from each City. Yes you are always going to have a couple skews here and there, but I have a feeling if Mirtle is voting that the big hockey markets have more voters, which is unfair IMO.

The NHL awards like most awards are useless IMO and I find myself not caring as the voting just doesn't seem to be all that great.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

If Nuge's near 70 point pace gets him 5th place votes, it's pretty obvious the media doesn't exactly love the Oilers. Ever since Yakupov's interviews about Team Canada, the Eastern media has had it in for him, which was only exacerbated by the goal celebration this season. The vitriol from guys like Don Cherry all season long towards Yakupov says to me they'd do anything to keep him away from the Calder.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Spector talked about the voting process on his radio show around the end of the season. IIRC he said that every city has two media voters. He was one of them.

Apparently they all call each other to get other people's input and don't base it exclusively on what they have seen.

Spector sounded as though he favoured Brodin and Gallagher IIRC.

AlbertaHockey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:24 AM
rosemount289

Not mentioned...............???

Yakupov had a hot streak the last few games to pull himself up the points standing;

unfortunately, most of the voters had already cast their ballots.......happens when you have a shorten season.............!!!

Last edited by rosemount289: 06-24-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote